Highlights on the Show...February 1 - 5, 2010

highlights imagesMonday

Hour Three: "Is Capitalism going to save us all?!" Thom debates mega-corporate-capitalist-mogul Steve Forbes on his new book "How Capitalism Will Save Us" www.forbes.com

Tuesday

Hour One: What is the "Revolutionary Tea Party Plan to Save the U.S. Economy From Economic Disaster?!" Thom has a rumble with Libertarian Wayne Allyn Root www.root4america.com

Hour Three: Why are right-wingers afraid of gays serving in the military? Thom confronts Dr. Paul Cameron of the Family Research Institute www.familyresearchinst.com

Wednesday

Hour Two: "The Black-White Achievement Gap: Why Closing it is the Greatest Civil Rights Issue of Our Time" Thom challenges conservative Rod Paige, former Secretary of Education under George W. Bush, about his new book www.rodpaige.com

Hour Three: Economic crisis...who's recovering, who's not and why? Thom talks with global economists Eamonn Fingleton inJapan www.unsustainable.org and Steve Keen in Australia www.debtdeflation.com

Thursday

Hour Three: "Economic vampires...who really sucked the life out of America's workforce?" Thom confronts conservative Andrew Langer of the Institute for Liberty www.instituteforliberty.org

Friday

Hour One: "Brunch With Bernie"Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) spends the hour with Thom discussing the issues and answering listener questions www.sanders.senate.gov

UPCOMING EVENTS  WITH THOM HARTMANN:

San Francisco, CA - Friday, February 5th from 7PM to 10:30PM - Green 960 Cruise with Thom Hartmann - Green960 hosts Thom & listeners aboard the California Hornblower Yacht for a 3 hour tour!   www.green960.com for tickets & info.

Comments

K (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Thom, I don’t usually get the impulse to write because I agree with everything you say, however the other day when you were making the suggestion that Chavez or Castro begin affecting policy to the far left here in the US (in reference to the Supreme Court decision), I took objection. Not because I don’t think this country could use a hard swing to the left to at least get it to center, but because both Chavez and Castro are not the ideal Leftist they claim to be. My family is Venezuelan so I hear and see a lot about what goes on down there and though I don’t share many of their hysterical “Commie” fears about Chavez I do recognize that all is not what it seems with him. Just like Castro and many so-called Leftists that have taken power in volatile Latin countries, Chavez has merely seized upon the political climate of Venezuela to divide and conquer the country. He’s ascended to power by offering the poor an extra grain of rice just so they can say they’re better off and at the same time turned around and behind their backs used the country’s wealth to lavish himself and maintain power. No doubt he’s done some good things both in Venezuela and around the world but in the end they’re more marketing ploys than they are real gestures of idealism. And for every one good thing he does, he neglects to do countless others.
You mentioned that he’s a democratically elected leader but that’s no more true than it is to say GWB was democratically elected in 2000. Chavez may have been his first time around, on a wave of justified populist rage, but since he’s not only left doubts about the authenticity of his subsequent elections, he’s also taken a page right out of the Dick Armey playbook and staged rallies where he offers food and alcohol to the people in the slums and buses them in in huge caravans to scream for his support.
So while I don’t side with most of those opposed to Chavez I’ve seen and heard enough of the many travesties his so-called democratic regime have perpetrated to know that he’s not who or what he claims to be.
Just a note of caution from an avid listener.

Starbuck (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Thom was trying to get the Right Wingers to realize that people that they disagree with like Chavez or Castro could now influence American elections. He was not advocating for either man. He's merely pointing out the Supreme Court decision has opened our election up to foreign interest and that can work both ways.

As a Cuban American I would not be listening to Thom Hartman if he was cheer leading for Fidel Castro. He's taken a rational, well balanced approach to both men.

scandi (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Forbes titled his book "How Capitalism Will Save Us". Somehow, I am skeptical he means 'us' as in mainstreet folks. If 'us' means his crowd of wealthy capitalists, that I would believe.

Marty (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Somebody please correct Thom and say that it was Carly Fiorina who, while CEO of HP, outsourced the jobs to China - and is running for the gop nomination to face Barbara Boxer. Meg Whitman, on the the other hand, was the CEO Ebay.

mstaggerlee (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Here I thought the economy was supposed to work for us ALL. How stupid of me!! Thanks, Wayne Root, for explaining that it's really all about YOU!!

rewinn (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

If the Wayne Roots of the world who steered our economy into a ditch had been taxed at 74% and so discouraged that they didn't create bubble economies ... we'd all be better off!

DDay (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Each day a bunch of good people come together to contribute their time, effort, and intellect to make a live blog interesting and to debate the issues before all of us. For the past week or so this has been more difficult because the site seems to go live at varying times. What gives ? Daily topics Live Blog for Tuesday Feb. 2, where is it? We are almost a half hour into the show.

Charles (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

DDay- I hear you.

Frank Feuerbacher (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

I seem to remember the right complaining how unfair it was that a union's political beliefs are not necessarily the same as the members. How come the Corporate folk now assume I politically agree with the companies that I invest in?

DDay (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

I hope the Church Lady gets on Thom's and the webmaster's case. I guess this puts to question whether Thom really reads this blog much. If he did, wouldn't he have caught it? I guess it really is groundhog day around here. Different day...same results. Get'em Church Lady!

mstaggerlee (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Is Thom on the road today? I think that the days that the Live Blog doesn't go up also tend to be the days when Thom is not at the home base, co-ordinating all the facets of the show.

mstaggerlee (not verified) 10 years 22 weeks ago

Will America Recover from the Rightwing Billionaire's War Against Us?

Thom plus logo This morning on CNN a physician in Texas talked about having 10 young people with COVID-19 who needed immediate hospitalization and only having three beds left. He had to decide who is going to get treatment and who was going to be turned away from the hospital.
"Never one to shy away from the truth, Thom Hartmann’s collected works are inspiring, wise, and compelling. His work lights the way to a better America."
Van Jones, cofounder of RebuildTheDream.com and author of The Green Collar Economy
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"If you wonder why and when giant corporations got the power to reign supreme over us, here’s the story."
Jim Hightower, national radio commentator and author of Swim Against the Current
"Thom Hartmann seeks out interesting subjects from such disparate outposts of curiosity that you have to wonder whether or not he uncovered them or they selected him."
Leonardo DiCaprio, actor, producer, and environmental activist