Highlights on the Show...January 25 - 29 2010

highlights imagesMonday

Hour Two: Labor takes on the banksters! Christian Norton of Working America joins Thom www.workingamerica.org

Hour Three: Corporations are people too?! Thom debates corporate personhood with Peter Ferrara of the American Civil Rights Union www.theacru.org

Tuesday

Hour Three: American Tea Party...the new counterrevolution? Thom confronts conservative John O'Hara of The Heartland Institute www.JohnMOHara.com

Wednesday

Hour Two: "Everything You Know is Wrong...about Hell" Thom talks to someone who's been there, Bill Weise, author of "23 Minutes in Hell" www.soulchoiceministries.org

Thursday & Friday

Health Action 2010 - Thom talks to progressive newsmakers as he broadcasts live from the annual Families USA Conference in Washington DC www.familiesusa.org

Plus, on Friday - "Brunch With Bernie" Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) spends the hour with Thom discussing the issues and answering listener questions www.sanders.senate.gov

Comments

Gerald Socha (not verified) 7 years 43 weeks ago
PRGK1 (not verified) 7 years 42 weeks ago

Stiglitz or Warren are not possible FED Chair nominees. Obama has to choose from a candidate list created by the FED Board of Governors, and they are not going to put anyone that is not already part of the FED system on the list.

drsarazawa (not verified) 7 years 42 weeks ago

So a Corp is a person, but a person can't be a Corp--- is that right? Well, I want the same legal protection that a Corp has, namely the tax rights. As a wage earner I want to deduct ALL my earned income as depreciation. Each year my income earning asset --- my corpus --- is reduced in value by exactly the amount I've earned. The 14th Amendment says the law has to treat me equally as well as an artificial person.

I'm serious, dammitt.

David Liu (not verified) 7 years 42 weeks ago

Thom, please talk about this article on your show on Monday: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/us/politics/25bopp.html?hp

This article shows that James Bopp Jr. is behind the organized effort to dismantle campaign finance laws!!!

Quotes from the article:

"The Citizens United case “was really Jim’s brainchild,” said Richard L. Hasen, an expert on election law at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles."

“We had a 10-year plan to take all this down,” he said in an interview. “And if we do it right, I think we can pretty well dismantle the entire regulatory regime that is called campaign finance law.”

"Mr. Bopp said the next step in his 10-year plan is to roll back the disclosure rules. "

Thom, please talk about this article in your show!

Quark (not verified) 7 years 42 weeks ago

James Bopp, Jr. Bio and Contact Info:

DDay (not verified) 7 years 42 weeks ago

Dateline- January 23rd, 2010, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Convention Center, 6th Annual Blue State Bash....

Minnesota Liberals gathered together Saturday for the local Air America affiliate radio station's annual gathering to drink, nosh on hors douviers, and listen to speeches from invited political celebs. This year the roster of celebs included Stephanie Miller, Ed Shultz, Bill Press, Mike Malloy, and our own Thom Hartmann.

True to form for the frozen tundra threw up a rainy-frozen mix of weather to greet everyone brave enough to venture out. The gloom and doom did not prevent a good crowd from gathering together to mix, mingle, and hold forth on the state of all things political. This reporter attended with the express purpose of promoting the formation of a new Political Progressive PAC dedicated to bringing down Michele Bachmann and other charlatans who threaten our Republic. A few months ago I was approached by a group of lawyers and businessmen who were fed up with the congresswoman in question and wanted to know what they could do to defeat her. I was contacted for my political advice and that of my fellow band of merry pranksters with whom I am surrounded by, here. (All of us have worked together on several local campaigns.) This group of interested citizens seeking advice included some who were politically progressive but also some who probably often voted with the G.O.P. in the past. What they all seem to have in common is a hatred for what Bachmann stands for, and personal ideologies which place country above party.

Like many politically active progressives, I have become increasingly disenchanted with the Democratic Party. They seem to stand for nothing, that is... enough to fight for! This group of grassroots patriots coming to me couldn't have come at a better time personally. I and my compatriots who I brought forward to help advice this group managed to convince them to form a PAC. We thought it would offer the greatest flexibility to effect change. (Of course, last weeks SCOTUS decision resets the rules somewhat.) So, I was there Saturday night to introduce these new activists to various political types and network.

Of these two principals of this new PAC, (both lawyers), one had heard of Ed Shultz. Neither had heard of any of the other radio and TV personalities in attendance. I secured a table against the wall and adjacent to the cash bar, set them there and proceeded to act as a "roper". I went out in the crowd and roped in people who might be helpful or interested in this new PAC and brought them back to meet my charges. It was largely successful and people were interested. Many talented and influential local pols and professionals stopped by and were supportive. Both Bill Press and Ed Shultz not only were willing to give me the "time of day", but came over and sat down with my lawyers for a few moments. This was laudable given the circumstances. Everyone wants a piece of these people. Try and lead a celebrity through a crowd of fans; it can take 20 minutes to move 10 feet! Ed Shultz and Wendy Shultz and Bill Press were very gracious to us and seemed interested in our cause. Stephanie Miller seemed a little off her game Saturday. To my great disappointment, she refrained from calling me her little "stud-muffin", as she so foolishly had done the last time we met. I was a little crest-fallen, but, soldiered on. My biggest disappointment was that I was never able to interact with our hero Thom. When I saw him, he was like a shooting star speeding across the sky. He was always being ushered through the crowd it seemed. His schtick, before the microphone was excellent, thoughtful, and very well received by the audience. I regret not having a chance to shake his hand and perhaps having him meet my lawyers. Cest la vie. All in all it was a good evening. Ed and Wendy Shultz along with Bill Press expressed a willingness to hear from our PAC in the future when we begin acting out. We'll see. I have heard promises before. At least they expressed admiration for our name and cause. The name of this new PAC is: The Rat PAC. We are going after rats...of all political stripes. Michele Bachmann will be our initial target. When our web site goes active I will post it here. Hopefully, some of you here will be interested enough to visit it and consider making a small, (or LARGE!) contribution. We begin fund-raising and register with the F.E.C. next week. We need a minimum of 50K to do anything effectively. Thom said to start a movement. From here in the heart of darkness, Bachmannland, we are trying. Wish us luck!

p.s. Sorry we missed you Sat. night Thom.

sebillah (not verified) 7 years 42 weeks ago

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
- Thomas Jefferson

Trump Is Using Racist White People To Make The Rich Richer

There is this whole mythology that Donald Trump came to power because 53% of white women voted for him, because 66% of white working men who didn't have a college degree voted for him.

That may be, but those are not his constituents. Those are his suckers. Those are his rubes.

Latest Headlines

Who rejected United States-North Korea peace talks?

There were conflicting reports on Sunday regarding a recent proposal for United States-North Korea peace talks which was allegedly made before North Korea"s recent nuclear test

U.K. Pound Falls As Markets Get Brexit Jitters

Bloomberg said on Monday the pound had sustained its biggest fall against the dollar in 11 months

Clinton: I'll defend Israel but push for 'two-state solution

Hillary Clinton believes both Republican candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz "missed the mark" with their approach to the Israel-Palestinian Arab conflict
"Once again, Thom Hartmann hits the bull’s eye with a much needed exposé of the so-called ‘free market.’ Anyone concerned about the future of our nation needs to read Screwed now."
Michael Toms, Founding President, New Dimensions World Broadcasting Network and author of A Time For Choices: Deep Dialogues for Deep Democracy
"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."
"In an age rife with media-inspired confusion and political cowardice, we yearn for a decent, caring, deeply human soul whose grasp of the problems confronting us provides a light by which we can make our way through the quagmire of lies, distortions, pandering, and hollow self-puffery that strips the American Dream of its promise. How lucky we are, then, to have access to the wit, wisdom, and willingness of Thom Hartmann, who shares with us here that very light, grown out of his own life experience."
Mike Farrell, actor, political activist, and author of Just Call Me Mike and Of Mule and Man