Daily Topics - Friday May 7th 2010 Anything Goes! Friday...

Anything Goes! Friday...

Hour One - "Brunch With Bernie" Senator Bernie Sanders www.sanders.senate.gov

Hour Two - Ralph Nader www.nader.org "Wealth for Justice", battle against corporate personhood, campaign finance reform, etc..Booksigning for Ralph Nader - Saturday, May 8, First Unitarian Church Sanctuary at 1211 SW Main Street, Portland...7:30pm, talk at 8pm

Comments

pahrumplife's picture
pahrumplife 9 years 41 weeks ago

www.pahrumplife.org writes: The so-called bleeding hearts who I know want all peoples to get an even break. An even break to the majority of humanity would be for at least major criminals to have to face real charges and real justice when found guilty. To me the distinguishable criminals if not “distinguished” in the current Arizona “illegal alien crackdown” scenario and indeed throughout the country are those who continue the sentiments and actions of those who originally advertised – spread the word - to Latinos similarly to the manner of the California agricultural growers during the 1930s who through copious flyers promised a land of milk and honey and good clean work for good wages and then exploited the “Grapes of Wrath” marooned throngs who had come to California in great hardship, from Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee, and who were, amid this purposefully created stiff competition for jobs, able to find tough employment for slave wages and long hours. It was just “too bad” for those who couldn’t find work.

Ask yourself how did this scenario begin? Who was the pretend “cowboy good guy” back in the 1980s that promulgated the word through the modern media that undocumented workers were needed in the USA and would be excused as “undocumented workers”? And why are those who have been allowed by big business delinquents - supported by another presidential pretend cowboy and a presidential playboy (thereby crossing party lines) - to work in the US for so many years now separated from their families and rounded up and thrown into jail? Because of pervasive, detestable, hateful, offensive racial profiling, and in the name of more big business, we taxpayers are and will be hiring and paying more and more police to stop and question every brown-skinned person they encounter (in the name of non-racial profiling).

Apparently most of those arrested as being browned-eyed, brown-skinned and undocumented will eventually be deported but until they are, months or years from now, they will become part of the taxpayer-funded private prison industry system as an asset and a part of the work force and they will make next to nothing in private for-profit prison manufacturing businesses that will rack-up big $$$$ not only in goods but also in per diem rates and transportation rates for moving the prisoners to and from the courts, and eventually on expensive jets to their home borders, again all on the taxpayers. And if these prisoners happen to get in trouble and then are found guilty while in prison, framed or not, they will do more time and cost the taxpayers more and may never be deported.

Woody Guthrie the gritty intrepid migrant hero who wrote "This Land is Your Land", the song who many would like to see become the US national anthem, also wrote the following words in his song "Deportee":

“Goodbye to my Juan, good-bye Rosalita
Adios mis amigos, Jesus y Maria
You won't have a name when you ride the big airplane
All they will call you will be deportee”

The courts are also a business that would have many chargeable court cases and decisions that would require more taxpayer dollar support to pay for possible continued incarceration, poor medical care, poor food, separation from families, negligence and probable deportation. To me this is the result of “bait and switch”, $$$$ livelihood promises turned into taxpayer-supported human trafficking and out and out slavery.

Americans who are screaming “no new taxes” should be screaming “bloody murder” because existing taxes are spent on criminal activities that make the rich richer in order to perpetuate more and more poor to feed their business systems and speed their critical paths to profit. People who consider themselves middle class may soon find out that they are just a commodity in a rich man's game.

Marble hearts may not bleed so easily but may break in the wake of just iron bars. So let’s do what we can to bring these crooked hearts made of stone to justice.

Fed4Profit's picture
Fed4Profit 9 years 41 weeks ago

I posted this blog earlier today on mother jones as well, food for thought:

I believe your racism makes you and all other morons like you even more ignorant. If you ever get a chance, turn down your sarah palin self-improvement tapes and, read the constitutional violations inherent to boss hog's wet racist dream. There are no provisions that allow for the discrimination of citizens because of the hue of their skin, there is no such thing as second class citizens (albeit GOP members or Fox News employees). All skin colors must be obliged to carry and present documentation proving their citizenship, everybody has to start wearing badges showing their religious preference, their sexual orientation and a picture of their six toed offspring showing that cousin' lovin is just fine.
Benito Mussolini would be proud!!!

DRichards's picture
DRichards 9 years 41 weeks ago

Happy Birthday Thom!

DRichards's picture
DRichards 9 years 41 weeks ago

Tell me it's not true; Bernie Sanders caved into preasure from the Whitehouse and Chris Dodd to strip out the Paul-Grayson language from his Fed transparency amendment.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 9 years 41 weeks ago

Talking Points Memo reports that, “In order to allay some of the White House's and the Fed's concerns, Sanders has agreed to limit the scope of what the Government Accountability Office would be allowed to audit--but his plan will still require thorough review of all the Fed's emergency lending, beginning December 1, 2007.”

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

@DRichards, Politics is the art of Compromise.

N

DRichards's picture
DRichards 9 years 41 weeks ago

Maxrot

I know... but I am still very disappointed.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

DRichards, I think I was just pointing out my general fustration and disappointment on most legislation too. Sorta' like mumbling "the grapes looked sour anyway" I guess.

I suppose I want to see the silver lining... before it gets snatched up too.

N

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

Yeah Bernie, break 'em up, divide and conquer. 100 small corporations is far better than 1 massive one acting monolithicly.

N

Foodfascist's picture
Foodfascist 9 years 41 weeks ago

Why won't Fox News play this commercial?

pssst.....do something about it

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

re: Arizona and its unconstitutional law. I think its obvious that we reframe the debate, enough with the Illegal Immigration moniker, Illegal Employeers is the problem. Lets call it out as what it is, Labor Unions can be the spearhead for this and push for enforcement of current laws as well as lobby for better ones. It isn't just immigrants being taken adavantage of, so why aren't the Labor Unions swelling in size and fighting back? We on the left need to answer this question, and resolve it immediately.

N

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago

A Crime

Lying Joe is introducing a bill that will become law. The law will be to strip citizenship from Americans. Once the bill is law, the foot will be in the door to pass more amendments to the law at future dates.

John Boner, from Ohio and the minority whip in the House, says that a crime can take away citizenship. He did not say a terrorist crime he just said a crime.

I would like to share with two examples where I have a problem with this law. I was sleeping and I slept for about five hours. Normally, when I take my water pill daily, I have to piss every two hours or so. The water pill helps to remove excessive water in my body to ease stress upon my heart.

After sleeping for about five straight hours I awoke and rushed to the bathroom and standing over the toilet I pissed for five minutes. When I awoke my wife checked the time, and when I returned to bed, she, again, checked the time and she said that I pissed for five minutes.

The second example is that my wife and I were driving and I had to piss. Fortunately, we made it to a public rest room. If I had to take a five minute piss on some side street and a law official saw me, I would be committing a crime and my citizenship would be taken away. Since I am a Jesus liberal, a pacifist, and a progressive, I would no longer be an American citizen.

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 9 years 41 weeks ago

@Maxrot: can you say "Taft-Hartley"?

harry ashburn 9 years 41 weeks ago

@Fedforprofit re: post #2: to whom is your message addressed? Who is "you"?

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

Gene... raft-smartey.... taffey-cart-lee... ass-farty... mmm I guess not, guess I got the same tongue malady as the majority of the Democratic congress.

N

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago

I agree with Ralph Nader. Obama is a political weakling, maybe politically naive, or just politically stupid. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me! Obama will not fool me in 2012.

DrMike's picture
DrMike 9 years 41 weeks ago

My tea party sign; a snarky, poke them in the eye, but maybe there will be a thinker in the crowd....

Smaller govenrment, Bigger Wall Street!

on the flip side:

How did that work out for YOU?

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago

The Wall Street accident is a prelude to how the rich can take away all of the middle class investments. These accidents will become the norm for the American way of life.

Foodfascist's picture
Foodfascist 9 years 41 weeks ago

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite." -Thomas Jefferson

Greek Fire Kills http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.php?284728-Greeks-burn-Jewish-Banks-in-retaliation-!&p=3119468

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

@foodfacist; To be ruled by a small elite might be so bad, if the small elite were truly elite, and just not souls empowered by wealth and greed. We'll never know government by a class of benevolent people if for no other reason than the power of government attracts those who are corrupt, and those who can easily be corrupted to the point that benevolence is shoved in a corner. We can't rely on the goodness in the hearts of humans, we have to regulate, regulate, regulate and when in doubt regulate. Though mind you I'm not advocating the Iron Fists of Church and State. I want to see laws enforced on all, and I want them fair laws. We have stepped closer to the way we should govern ourselves with Democracy, but its still an imperfect system (still the best we have though).

N

harry ashburn 9 years 41 weeks ago

re: thom's tenure: being the Pollyana i am, I half anticipate Thom being bought-off or removed from the air within 2 years. I have the feeling he has become well-known enough to be considered a threat by our masters. however, thats what i thought happened to Rachel maddow and she seems to be still cranking out truth; don't know for sure 'cause i dont listen regularly. So maybe Thom will continue to be available. Hope so. Has Rachel softened for MSM (main-stream media) standards?

harry ashburn 9 years 41 weeks ago

The Dems deserved to lose votes to Nader, for being such weenies.

cysciborg's picture
cysciborg 9 years 41 weeks ago

What is so sad, is, that the oil rigs so-called safety gear, does not work, most of the time. I worked on Exploration rigs, and did development, and "work over" service rigs. and the thing they all had in common, was. the BOP Blow out preventer's did NOT work. and the gas sensors did NOT work. this is for the most part, industry wide. I also NEVER saw an inspector at any rig, I was ever on. and now, we have this huge spill, or blow out. and the criminals most probably will not, or never will pay for the disaster. or, a judge will say its too much, for them to have to pay. and the industry as a whole, owes the American people trillions of dollars in Royalties for the oil they have already gotten out of the ground. but, are NOT paying. and the agency which is alleged to collect these funds, eat and drink and party with the industry people. and yet, continue to not pay the royalties. these trillions of royalty monies could be used to clean up the disaster. but, won't, as they are still uncollected ! and the President, Obama, will never go after the industry, to pay the Royalties, to use the funds to clean up this disaster. that is, for the most part, what is so sad :-( and continues to remain so. and they are not only raping the planet, but, murdering it !

DRichards's picture
DRichards 9 years 41 weeks ago

Harry

Re: The Dems deserved to lose votes to Nader, for being such weenies.

Republicans, Democrats, it's all an illusion of having a democracy.

If you look beyond the rhetoric, the actual policies of the two parties are pretty much the same.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

AMEN BROTHER DRichards and BROTHER harry, AMEN, PREACH IT.

N

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 9 years 41 weeks ago

re: TSA working demanding an apology, I'm sorry your (_)):::D is so small?

N

harry ashburn 9 years 41 weeks ago

@Drichards, yeah, im aware of all that, but what does matter is the judicial appointments. I had hoped that Obama would reverse the trend toward appointing judges who follow the "unitary executive' theory. Apparently, he's not. Which is how hitler got started.

harry ashburn 9 years 41 weeks ago

"Mark my words, the 4th toe is the keystone toe." - harry ashburn

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago

Ten reasons why you should vote the Democrats this fall!

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago
gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago
gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago

Here is a paraphrased sentence from John Wayne Taylor's above article. "It is easier to live one's life in a spirit of goodwill than to live your life in hatred.

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago

Before I share with you an article, please keep in mind that the American soul is imploding from endless hatred. Fox News, our politicians, corporate America, the rich, and the federal government are creating a population that accepts and believes violence can solve all our problems.

Please keep in mind what is happening to our children from ages six to twenty-five - our school age children and our college age children.

The teen years have its problems but the teenagers offer us hope but they are now disillusioned by our world. Teenagers are into fairness and idealism, not just for themselves but also for friends and other people These teen years are remarkable years. These years can make our world a better place but now the teen years are disillusioned from the voices spewing endless hate messages.

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 41 weeks ago

The reason that Greg Palast is one of my favorite investigative reporters is the United States of Hell, aka the anti-Christ, will not let his books be published in our hell-hole nation. Our federal government is afraid of Greg Palast. He is the one person who can have our federal government fall to its knees.

DrMike's picture
DrMike 9 years 41 weeks ago

Rachel can be found in the podcast version - free of charge.

DrMike's picture
DrMike 9 years 41 weeks ago

It's not new, find and watch "The money masters" (available somewhere on the internet). It has happened before.

littleberry's picture
littleberry 9 years 41 weeks ago
brians2814's picture
brians2814 9 years 41 weeks ago

It is not just Americans, but mankind in general. that is why since the dawn of time man has always been in a state of war somewhere on the globe. I choose to accept it and move after all you can't expect to change millions of years of evolution in your lifetime. That is just arrogance.

Semantic Monitor's picture
Semantic Monitor 9 years 39 weeks ago

Kudos to Rachel Maddow for digging-up those important; yet overlooked news-stories! She was the only Western (let alone American) news media to mention 'World Metrology Day' Thursday, May 20th.

METROLOGY: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrology

World Metrology Day: http://www.worldmetrologyday.org/

Worldwide, the African news-media sources made-up the majority of mentions, with a sprinkling of Russian, and Korean media sites making mention of 'World Metrology Day.'

All is not lost; as term 'Metrology' got mention over the last day! So relax, the Metrology profession will always play vital roles (like Oxygen does for life); that the profession may not even need a much publicized day? After all, is there a “World Oxygen Day??”

Still, not even one other mention in the West?? If we let the ‘Metrology’ field get “lost in the shuffle” and “taken too much for granted,” will we have to “dig-out” or find (or even rent-out) those old-tools (built in the Metrology profession’s heyday); in order to compare the old tools to today's newer tools?

After all, it’s seems necessary to “take the time” to make sure "an inch is an inch," or "a pound is a pound" or “a meter is a meter.” Just like asking (or measuring) “the meaning of……meaning,” the “context of…….context,” and of course, “the meaning (or context) of the word….’is!’

Talk about "measures of importance!!"

"The Saddest Thing Is This Won't Be Breaking News"

Thom plus logo As the world burns, and more and more fossil fuels are being used every day planet-wide, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels passed 416 ppm this week at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii. In the 300,000 years since the emergence of modern humans, carbon dioxide levels have never been this high.

Latest Headlines

Who rejected United States-North Korea peace talks?

There were conflicting reports on Sunday regarding a recent proposal for United States-North Korea peace talks which was allegedly made before North Korea"s recent nuclear test

U.K. Pound Falls As Markets Get Brexit Jitters

Bloomberg said on Monday the pound had sustained its biggest fall against the dollar in 11 months

Clinton: I'll defend Israel but push for 'two-state solution

Hillary Clinton believes both Republican candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz "missed the mark" with their approach to the Israel-Palestinian Arab conflict
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen
"Hartmann speaks with the straight talking clarity and brilliance of a modern day Tom Paine as he exposes the intentional and systematic destruction of America’s middle class by an alliance of political con artists and outlines a program to restore it. This is Hartmann at his best. Essential reading for those interested in restoring the institution that made America the envy of the world."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning and When Corporations Rule the World