Daily Topics - Monday January 17th, 2011

Alternet: Progressive Profiles: With New TV Show, Radio Talker Thom Hartmann Brings Substance to Style

Truthout is proud to bring you an exclusive series from America's No. 1 progressive radio host, Thom Hartmann. We'll be publishing weekly installments, "Rebooting the American Dream.

Hour One: MLK and the Labor connection - Doug Cunningham of Worker's Independent News - www.laborradio.org

Hour Two: Is Jan Brewer turning Arizona into America's Somalia? Dr. Mike Newcomb, Host of the Mike Newcomb Show on KPHX-Phoenix - www.mikenewcomb.net

Hour Three: How are we doing toward reaching MLK's vision of a just and peaceful society?...Investigative journalist Russ Baker - http://russbaker.com; Plus, JFK historian Lamar Waldron - www.legacyofsecrecy.com

Comments

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 12 years 2 weeks ago

Required reading for the "not my problem" crowd: "Collapse - How Societies Choose To Fail or Succeed" by Jared Diamond. A long, but well researched and analysed evaluation of the history of humans and their interactions with the earth and what we may learn from those stories.

gerald's picture
gerald 12 years 2 weeks ago

Sin

Here is my perceptual opinion on sin. Our pastor had a very good homily on sin for January 15, 2011. He gave us a brief history on sin since the 1960s. In the 1960s there was less emphasis on personal sin. There are still personal sins but the emphasis was less on this sin. In the 1970s there was more emphasis on social sin. The emphasis of this sin was more on how we relate to and treat people. Our country displays a deep and widespread relationship with social sins. I see many of our politicians deeply involved in committing many kinds of social sins. Let me name some of these social sins, such as no health care for all the people, no regulatory safeguards against the crooks and robbers in our financial institutions, the orchestrated effort to eliminate the middle class, the destruction of our environment, the lust for wars and the killing of God’s children, the doing away with pension plans and benefit obligations, and the doing away with the minimum wages. These are only a few social sins committed against God’s children of many social sins in the United States of Mortal Sin. Unless we consider Matthew 25 very important in our lives, we will never overcome our massive social sin network that Americans commit on a daily basis. Our country is on a road that will lead to its self-destruction and our people will wallow in the abyss of a natural hell before our manifest destiny into a supernatural hell.

If you listened to Thom’s first segment on January 17, 2011, you will know why the United States of Mortal Sin is a damned nation. There is no doubt in my mind that our nation is preparing Americans to wallow in the abyss of hell for eternity. Living in this hell-hole and rat-hole nation is preparing us well for the supernatural hell.

cmoore68's picture
cmoore68 12 years 2 weeks ago

I am convinced that most people under the age of 40 do not grasp the full message of MLK. I recall the history books of my age (42) giving cursory mention of MLK, concentrating exclusively on his marches and his speech from the Lincoln Memorial. The basic tenor of the lesson was he fought exclusively for civil rights for blacks. There was no mention of his jailhouse writings or his calls to end poverty and war. It was years after I graduated from high school did I learn he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace. Sad.

cmoore68's picture
cmoore68 12 years 2 weeks ago

"I began thinking about the fact that stand in the middle of two opposing forces in the Negro community. One is a force of complacency, made up in part of Negroes who, as a result of long years of oppression, are so drained of self-respect and a sense of "somebodiness" that they have adjusted to segregation; and in part of a few middle class Negroes who, because of a degree of academic and economic security and because in some ways they profit by segregation, have become insensitive to the problems of the masses. The other force is one of bitterness and hatred, and it comes perilously close to advocating violence. It is expressed in the various black nationalist groups that are springing up across the nation..." - MLK, Letter from Birmingham Jail.

Negro can very easily be replaced with Poor and black nationalist groups can be replaced with Tea Party. The parallels to today are evident.

cmoore68's picture
cmoore68 12 years 2 weeks ago

By Tea Party, I am referring to the minions who act on the vitriol spewed by the moneyed interests that aim to keep them repressed.

gerald's picture
gerald 12 years 2 weeks ago

What is sin?

When I examine my conscience, I look at various notes to help me with my examination. There is one section of my examination that I do not particularly want to read or review. It talks about what is sin. There are various forms of sin and I conclude that we are all sinners.

Sin is not always breaking laws, but an absence of love. In America we despise the poor, the disenfranchised, and the underserved. We are a hateful nation. Sin is not necessarily in our actions, but in our attitude. People may have a holier-than-thou attitude that Jesus condemns.

Sin is not always something evil. Failure to do good is also sin. For example, “I was hungry and you did not feed me.”

Sin is refusing to grow, to change, and to not use your talents or skills. What is important is not how much we have received, but how we use what we have received.

Sin is unawareness. We are unaware of our true self, our true nature. We identify ourselves with the things we are not: our body, wealth, success, recognition. These become the gods that control our lives.

Love wants the best for another person or persons. When we love another person or persons, we want the very best for that person or persons.

Hatred, murders, torture, and wars reveal America’s true nature, an absence of love. Why do Americans embrace and glorify hatred, murders, torture, and wars?

The Sins of Our Father

We have frequently heard that Bush wants us to consider him as our father. I hope that your memories are not so short to forget what he has said to us. Americans are suffering from the sins of our father. Yes, Bush’s sinful decisions and ways are affecting our lives. His hatred, murders, war crimes, his lust for torture, his corruption, greed, decadence, and lies are affecting every American and we see the disastrous consequences of his actions, behaviors, policies, and practices.

Bush who claims to be our father has been a disaster for our country and her people. Yet, most Americans honor, praise, thank him for all the good he has given us, and we worship him in our evangelical churches and in our children’s camps. He in some ways is America’s adopted god. I am sharing with you my perceptual opinion of Bush.

Retribution for Sins

Let me share with you that I have some anger issues. These anger issues are keeping me from feeling that I am on the path to eternal salvation. A key anger issue I have is that goose-stepping Americans are unwilling to practice the Golden Rule. People, our problems can be resolved by doing away with hatred, corruption, and lies that are so rampant in our hell-hole we call the United States of Mortal Sin.

There is retribution for our sins. If we die, refusing to accept and return God’s love, we are damned to spend eternity in hell. Make no mistake hell is real! It may not be a place but it is real. It may be more of a state of mind. A feeling of emptiness and hopelessness is forever constant in our mind that we have chosen to turn our back on God and His love for us.

kashan747's picture
kashan747 12 years 2 weeks ago

Is America like Disney World? (at least in it's conception)

I was searching for articles on being rich in a poor country and I found this very interesting blog entry, where the author makes the point that taxes are the price of admission into modern society by using Disney World as an example. Who wouldn't want to live in Disney World?, he asks...hmm. Whether you would or wouldn't I think it's an example that anyone can connect to.

bear2mail's picture
bear2mail 12 years 2 weeks ago

Like most double talking liberals, Thom Hartmann is the height of hypocrosy! Where is the proof that Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh incited this or any other violence. I heard you say on your show Friday the 14th that materials by Sean Hannity were found in the crazy killer, loughner's home. Those of us that believe in the Truth would like to see the facts on that. My guess is that you dreamed it up along with this phsychotic correlation between honest decent and criminal violence. Keep up your hateful targeting of innocent people. It just makes us stronger in our resolve. God Bless America!!!

SueN's picture
SueN 12 years 2 weeks ago

There are links to violent speech over at http://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2011/01/are-sarah-palin-glenn-beck-mich...

I don't recall Thom saying that materials by Sean Hannity were in Loughner's home, but there have been ties between previous killings and talk shows. See http://www.csgv.org/issues-and-campaigns/guns-democracy-and-freedom/insu...

patriot1's picture
patriot1 12 years 2 weeks ago

"They bring a knife... we'll bring a gun" Obama

"I'll kick her ass" Joyless BayHO

"Punish your enemies" Obama

Typical double-standard leftism.... and my list can go on and on... however, I agree that the more you unveil your hypocracy, the more you and your corrupt ideas of eliminating freedom will be exposed to the real americans in this country. God bless Glenn, Rush, Sean, and Sarah.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Hartmann combines a remarkable piece of historical research with a brilliant literary style to tell the grand story of corporate corruption and its consequences for society with the force and readability of a great novel."
David C. Korten, author of When Corporations Rule the World and Agenda for A New Economy
"If we are going to live in a Democracy, we need to have a healthy middle class. Thom Hartmann shows us how the ‘cons’ have wronged this country, and tells us what needs to be done to reclaim what it is to be American."
Eric Utne, Founder, Utne magazine