Daily Topics - Wednesday February 2nd, 2011

Truthout is proud to bring you an exclusive series from America's No. 1 progressive radio host, Thom Hartmann. We'll be publishing weekly installments, "Rebooting the American Dream."

Hour One: If you're not "Big Business"...you're screwed!

Hour Two: Why shouldn't churches pay taxes just like other businesses? Attorney, Erik Stanley-Alliance Defense Fund - www.alliancedefensefund.org

Hour Three: Latest from the streets of Cairo - Journalist Rebecca Fox - www.facebook.com/rebecca.fox1

Comments

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 22 weeks ago

PRAY: We Believe

By Dom Helder Camara

I will not believe in the law of the strongest,

In the language of guns,

In the power of the powerful.

I want to believe in the right of all,

In the open hand,

In the strength of the non-violent.

I will not believe in race or riches.

In privileges,

In the established order.

I want to believe that all human beings

Are human beings

And that the order of force and of injustice

Is a disorder.

I will not believe that I don't have to concern myself

With what happens far from here.

I want to believe that the whole world

Is my home, the field that I sow,

And that all reap what all have sown.

I will not believe that I can combat oppression out there

If I tolerate injustice here.

I want to believe that what is right

Is the same here and there

And that I will not be free

While even one human being is excluded.

I will not believe that war and hunger are inevitable

And that peace is inaccessible.

I want to believe in the love of bare hands,

In peace on earth.

I will not believe that any effort is in vain.

I will not believe that the dream of human beings

Continues being only a dream

And that death is the end.

But I dare to believe in the dream of God:

A new heaven, a new earth

Where justice reigns.

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 9 years 22 weeks ago

I recall that American military "aid" to foreign countries is not to be used against their own populations. The US has gotten around this in the past by sending the "aid" to Israel, who would then ship the weapons on to the intended destination. Indonesia was one such recipient. Israel also uses US military equipment against its own people, but excuses it because Palestinians are not considered to be "their own" people. I think that Palestinians are not even considered to be people - Golda Meir once said, "there is no such thing as a Palestinian." Noam Chomsky points out that Palestinians have negative rights.

The Middle East is a cauldron; the fire is on the inside as well as the outside.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 9 years 22 weeks ago

Churches often rent out their main hall, which means they get revenue for non-religious functions.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 9 years 22 weeks ago

Groundhog Day is based on a disagreement over when the seasons officially change. Note that 6 weeks after Feb. 2nd is approximately the vernal equinox, which is when Americans think spring starts. The Chinese calendar starts the year around now (variation is due to having a sort of leap month), because they think the seasons should be divided at the mid-points between equinoxes and solstices. The Chinese view makes sense if you want to call summer the time when the sun is highest in the sky. In the American view, the sun is, on average, as high in spring as in summer, and as low in autumn as in winter.

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 22 weeks ago

February 15 is considered the hump day for our temperatures to rise toward Spring. There will still be cold days, icy and snowy days but the date gives hope to survival of winter.

gerald's picture
gerald 9 years 22 weeks ago

If a religious church or temple is preaching politics, they should be taxed. Religions seem to be lightning rods for the spewing of hatred.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 9 years 22 weeks ago

From Wikipedia's article on Ichthys: "A less commonly cited use of fish in Christ's life may be found in the words of Matthew 17:24-27, in which, upon being asked if his Teacher does not pay the temple (two-drachma) tax, Simon Peter answers, "Yes." Christ tells Peter to go to the water and cast a line. He says that a coin sufficient for the tax will be found in the fish's mouth. Peter does as told and finds the coin."

TheSKS 9 years 22 weeks ago

It seems The Crusades came up quite a few times today. In 1995 Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame) and documentary filmmaker Alan Ereira made a historical documentary series called Crusades for the BBC. It is entertaining, informative and of course not without it's own critics. Might be a good starting point for anyone that is interested.

Thom plus logo Can Americans Stop the Republican Party and Their Billionaire Lifeline Before Another Hundred Thousand Americans Die?

If a group of international billionaires who don't like democracy, business regulation, or the idea of a functioning multiracial culture wanted to hire somebody to destroy America, they couldn't have done better than Donald Trump.
"Thom Hartmann is a creative thinker and committed small-d democrat. He has dealt with a wide range of topics throughout his life, and this book provides an excellent cross section. The Thom Hartmann Reader will make people both angry and motivated to act."
Dean Baker, economist and author of Plunder and Blunder, False Profits, and Taking Economics Seriously
"Never one to shy away from the truth, Thom Hartmann’s collected works are inspiring, wise, and compelling. His work lights the way to a better America."
Van Jones, cofounder of RebuildTheDream.com and author of The Green Collar Economy
"Hartmann speaks with the straight talking clarity and brilliance of a modern day Tom Paine as he exposes the intentional and systematic destruction of America’s middle class by an alliance of political con artists and outlines a program to restore it. This is Hartmann at his best. Essential reading for those interested in restoring the institution that made America the envy of the world."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning and When Corporations Rule the World