No One or Company Should Have that Much Media Power

It was a bizarre day in the UK yesterday. Media mogul Rupert Murdoch and his son James Murdoch appeared before the UK Parliament to answer questions about what they knew about the phone hacking scandal that’s sweeping Britain. Murdoch was asked if he was informed on the hacking scandal when it became known within NewsCorp – to which Murdoch responded, “No.”

He was then asked if he’s called for a complete investigation yet in all NewsCorp media holdings to make sure similar illegal hacking isn’t widespread throughout the company – Murdoch again answered, “No.” And when asked if he felt responsible for the scandal as CEO – Murdoch said, “No.” So as the CEO of NewsCorp it appears that Murdoch was largely out of the loop and didn’t care to root out the problem moving forward.

About the only difference between Rupert Murdoch and Sylvio Berlusconi - two men who built media empires so powerful that politicians had to come kiss their feet in order to get elected - is that Murdoch isn't interested in running for political office. How long will it be before Americans realize that the control of the British political system Murdoch seized is very similar to the power he has in America with his ownership of The Wall Street Journal, The New York Post, Fox News, and TV stations all around the country?

The fact is that no Republican politician in America can rise to national office against the disapproval of Murdoch and his attack dogs like Sean Hannity. That's not democracy, that corporatocracy.

No single man or company should be allowed to have that much media power.

Comments

gerald's picture
gerald 8 years 37 weeks ago

Why is there so much attention on Murdoch? He is a distraction for the discussions we should be having on our nation’s many problems. People with money will never go to jail in any country.

If there were Eisenhower Republicans to take over the party, I would return to Republican roots. Our country is being destroyed by the Regan-Bush Republicans, the Libertarians, the Teabag Party, and the Blue-Dog Democrats. I have eliminated the preposition “of” and I have replaced it with the preposition “in.” We are the United States in Mortal Sin. The “in” is most appropriate because our nation is always “in” a constant state of Mortal Sin. We are also the Anti-Christ.

I saw a recent poll from Michigan. Mitt Romney defeats Obama 46% to 42%. Romney was the hatchet man for corporations that eliminated American workers from their jobs and shipped these jobs to other countries. This is how Romney was able to accumulate his $500,000,000 million in wealth. American stupidity will never surprise me.

Remember these words!!! ONCE MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY ARE HISTORY IN OUR COUNTRY AND THEY WILL BE HISTORY. THESE SOCIAL SAFETY NET PROGRAMS WILL NEVER EVER RETURN TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!!! Yes, Americans will get what they deserve.

MugsysRapSheet's picture
MugsysRapSheet 8 years 37 weeks ago

The Gephardt Rule ----------------

Thom, dunno if you've seen this, but in 1978, Rep. Dick Gephardt introduced a new rule tying the Debt Limit to the budget. Republicans suspended the rule in 1995, but it is otherwise still in effect.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

Odd that Australia has sent the world two diametrically opposed persons....Rupert Murdoch and Julian Assange...but they both have one thing in common...they will go to extremes to get the skinny on people...and Murdoch's actions were more destructive of the lower classes and Assange's of the upper classes. Murdoch, for power, power, and more power...and Assange, to make the criminal elite more transparent to the world. We need to throw Murdoch into the clink while making Julian Assange our next President (despite the fact that he is not an American)....Obama was Kenyan...was he not...just joking..and all of the Republican candidates are all from another planet entirely...not joking! Can you imagine Michelle Bachman's finger on the button when she gets another migraine? What the heck....the Presidency has really, really hit bottom...maybe we should elect Bozo the clown...we nearly had him with the Bush presidency...how about Howdy Doody...Mortimer Sner or Lambchop....a more apt symbol of what Presidents have become. Obama has to be really, really, embarrassed....either that or he is laughing all the way to the bank saying "See ya, suckers!"

DRichards's picture
DRichards 8 years 37 weeks ago

Economics Professor: "[We’ll Have] a Never-Ending Depression Unless We Repudiate the Debt, Which Never Should Have Been Extended In The First Place"

Preface: Regular debts which are knowingly and honestly incurred should be repaid. This essay focuses solely on debts which are involuntarily incurred by politicians at the expense of the American people - and which do not benefit the public, but only a handful of bankers and defense contractors - and debts based upon false promises...

...Economics professor Steve Keen is also calling for a debt jubilee, stating:

We should write the debt off, bankrupt the banks, nationalize the financial system, and start all over again.

We need a twenty-first century jubilee.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

But Obama is a Republican! You can try calling a pig a petunia but if it looks like a pig, acts like a pig, and smells like a pig...then it's a pig! Can't say I know what a Republican smells like or necessarily looks like...but I sure know how they act. And Obama has sure, repeatedly, acted like a Republican. Obama is Wall Street's poodle!

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

The "Gangsters of Six" reneging on (stealing from) the Social Insurance programs to make rich people richer!

gerald's picture
gerald 8 years 37 weeks ago

What truly astounds me is the amount of hatred, corruption, and lies that we face daily in this country!

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

So I went to Costco to pick up my new glasses and since I needed several kinds of batteries I thought I'd pick them up there also...thought they might be cheaper than elsewhere. So I get to the battery section and was shocked at the prices of batteries (I haven't bought batteries in a while). I often like to buy in bulk to save money. So there was a dozen D sized batteries for just under $11 and the 9 volt batteries I needed was 8 for just over $14. Since I needed to pick up something from Home Depot..I checked on prices over there...nothing in bulk...but a pack of two D sized batteries were over $4. Yikes! So I go to Radio Shack...Yikes! $4.79 for a pack of two D batteries. I thought...I'll just go back to Costco or go to Walmart...or buy them on-line.

And I got to thinking about the idea that every dollar we spend at a business that is a right-wing, Republican-oriented, business who probably just loves, and are probably members of, the US Chamber of Commerce, is helping out the very people who want to take away my social security.

But then isn't that what happens when you buy from Costco and Walmart? So, then I thought, but if we all buy mostly from Costco and Walmart (which really ticks off local businesses--most of whom are right-wingers anyway) then couldn't it be a way of punishing those millions of right-wing, Chamber of Commerce loving, Republican small business owners (smaller than Walmart anyway) for being against social security?

If the masses of "smaller-than-Walmart" (which is everyone else) business owners are made to pay for screwing retirees by the people turning the system back upon itself by buying only from Walmart or Costco...(even though they may be enemies of social security themselves)...then maybe so many businesses would not be so Republican and/or ruling-elitist oriented. The country would finally crash and burn as it is slowly doing anyway and we, the people on social security, would, perhaps, have fewer enemies from the business sector.

We might at least have more merchants regretting they supported such a "ruling class" system once they are all put out of business. Walmart and Costco may be huge but not in relation to a total of all the other businesses. So I guess what we need to do is to boycott everyone but Walmart and Costco (and, of course, known progressive-oriented companies--good luck finding any).

DELETEBusGreg 8 years 37 weeks ago

You outdone yourself. Ain't it funny how hulz turned the hacker into the hackee???

On another note. I came across this:

It's a website about a family mansion being built. W. T. F. ? (Sorry) but this is insanity on steroids! From ttheir mission statement: "Pensmore is a large residential chateau under construction in the Ozark mountains between Springfield and Branson, MO. But it is much more than that, for Pensmore represents what we believe will be a practical application of new technologies to bring to life a modern version of the Jeffersonian ideal of the self-sufficient sustainable estate."

Say what?

bicyclingjroad's picture
bicyclingjroad 8 years 37 weeks ago

Let me explain something to you Mr. Palindromedary. First, there ain't no free lunch. I shop at Costco, and now and then at Walmart. I like the Kirkwood brand, I find the quality to be top shelf. But, a lot of the big ticket items purchased at the "big box" stores is not the same product you would get at a smaller specialized business. For example, you may want a gas grill. After pricing the grill at the smaller specialized stores, you find the exact same model for a few dollars less at one of the "big box" stores. So you purchase the grill from the "big box" store. You falsely believe the "big box" store sells for less because they are consumer friendly, and pass the savings on to the customer. You couldn't be more wrong. Models offered by the "big box" stores are similar, but not the same as those offered by the specialized store. Usually, parts cannot be replaced in products purchased from the "big box" stores. They are "throw away" products. The specialized stores sell the "true product, and service what they sell.

I'm a former executive for a manufacture who sold produts to distributors, and the "big box" stores. The "big box" stores are all about reducing costs, which for the manufacture means reducing features. So spend your money were you want, If you want "throw away" products go to "big box". I want to be able to have my products serviced and maintained, so I choose the smaller specialized stores.

mikeod55's picture
mikeod55 8 years 37 weeks ago

Wow Thom, everyone seems a little hostile and almost inchorrent, just relax everybody, have a glass of whatever makes you feel better and relax and we will continue the fight tomorrow! Where all better when we are well rested and alert!

mikeod55's picture
mikeod55 8 years 37 weeks ago

Not as much thought went into this statement as what you provided, but D-cells and 9 volt? Flashlights and old smoke detectors? What else takes these batteries? I don't disagree with your train of thought, I just think maybe you should go out for a walk once in awhile.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

A land of Gordon Geckos and Gordon Gecko wanna-bees! And I'm not referring to that cute little Gecko selling insurance...although....come to think of it...it is part of the FIRE (Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate) hijacking of America's economy...so maybe he isn't so cute after all. Just deceptive!

I just heard David Frum on the Wolf Blitzer show make a statement... something like... that the "Democrats are being childish". Duuuuuhhhhhh!!! After the way Republicans have been stomping their feet, holding their breaths, and refusing to ever compromise on anything...the Democrats are being childish? It's the spoiled-brat super-wealthy Republicans that are childish...they want it all their way or else they are willing to let the country go to hell. Of course the debt ceiling excuse is all an illusionary, smoke and mirrors, psy-ops program to let the economic gangsters continue to screw everyone else.

They have every intention of raising the limit...even Republicans...after they squeeze social security out of everyone...and get more tax breaks...they'll be at the trough again for having wasted more dollars on a continuation of the stupid, illegal wars...and expansions of them into Africa. If we get a Republican president in 2012...the Republicans will be screaming bloody murder that we need to raise the debt ceiling again and again to pay for their murdering idiocy overseas like they did during the Bush Presidency (8 times the Republicans raised the limit because they lied us into a stupid illegal war).

Just keep buying at Walmart, or better yet at progressive businesses (if you can find any) and we can drive the hordes of Republican business-owners out of their (American Chamber of Commerce Seal of Approval plaqued) businesses using their own ideological petards. The conservative business owners will continue to use the "don't buy Chinese goods(inferring Walmart)...buy American (inferring their own Chinese made goods-but at higher prices)" but we know how fallacious that is since the car manufacturers wore that one out while hypocritically using Chinese made parts to "build" their "American" cars. Even further...why should we be patriotic to unpatriotic hypocrites who are destroying America themselves?

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

Well, I went out for a walk...to get the batteries...but I've seen the prices (and know that some capitalists are really bilking us) so I crawled back into my cave (man cave) and if the lights go out I'll do without light...unless I go back to Costco for the "bargain" batteries...name brand mind you. Yes, some of us still use old-fashioned batteries...like D cells for my newly acquired Mag-lite flashlight...and 9 volt batteries for my smoke detectors.

And I agree with practically everything that bicyclingjroad said about "big box" stores. I know that they are not our friends any more than any other merchant is...they all want our money. And there is not anything particularly wrong with that either...but there is also not anything wrong with my expectation of our government system upholding it's promises and responsibilities in paying back those hard working people who made their contributions...their payments...for the INSURANCE programs they were forced to participate in. And anyone (now pay attention Republicans!!!), who tries to destroy that obligation to it's retirees is an enemy of the retirees..many of which have the option of shopping where-ever they desire. And if their shopping location choices can make political statements then they can fight back. My idea is that although we would be aiding one big enemy to social security...we would be, effectively, fighting an even bigger enemy to social security (all the little right-winger business owners, in total, swamps the few "big box" enemies to social security). It's not about the product (whether the small business can hold your hand...yeah...right...how often does that happen?) but it is about fighting for our existence (without social security and medicare, etc) many people would be destitute.

And Mr. bicyclingjroad, I know there is no such thing as a free lunch..we are not asking for a free lunch..but we all paid our FICA insurance premiums and expect to be paid our due. It is no difference from making deposits in a bank account and expecting the bank to make good on your demands when you make those demands. But I have a very strong feeling that what we are seeing in the attacks on our social security INSURANCE programs...we will soon be seeing on our bank accounts. The crooks have already stolen the money and now all they have to do is to default and claim that the FDIC insurance can not be honored with a 100 percent payout.

Rick Woodburn's picture
Rick Woodburn 8 years 37 weeks ago

I think we should lobby our Congressmen/women to sponsor and support legislation simular to the Fairness Doctrine that was abolished by Ronald Reagan in 1987. That won't stop the lies but will stop the lies from calling itself "News".

bicyclingjroad's picture
bicyclingjroad 8 years 37 weeks ago

Mr. Palindromedary, I don't know how no such thing as a free lunch drifted into FICA insurance premiums, but I'll leave that to you. I'm not big on insurance. Insurance to me is giving someone your money to invest, hoping to get a decent return someday. In the case of life insurance, your benificary will receive the value of the policy should you reach your shelf life early (a little battery humor). I believe a wiser move, would be invest the money yourself. You will have a much larger sum when you want to withdraw it. After all, the insurance companies are betting your shelf life won't expire early. They are using your money, and helping themselves to a little of the top of your hard earned dollars. There still ain't no free lunch! Ok, I kinda see how you drifted there.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

Almost all of the products are now made overseas and not in the US...and they are sold at "big box" as well as smaller entreprenueurial-type businesses. The exact same product with the exact same name made with the exact same materials...all made in China...or Mexico...or India...where ever. The smaller businesses have to give the illusion that they provide a better alternative...and maybe some actually do...but you also pay the price...whether it is worth it or not is debatable.

But I would venture to say that most businesses are in business to make money...as much as they can..(ie: maximize profits..which they do by cutting costs to the extent that employees suffer...and raise prices)....they are usually Republicans....and Republicans(the rich and powerful ones anyway) want to take away social security and want to put the tax burden on those of us who can least afford them. They are the ones I would love to see run out of business by any means...including by buying the cheaper priced products at competing Republican, "big box" , mega-businesses...like Walmart. I'd love to see the "big box" Republican businesses eventually run out of businesses too. But in the mean time, we can use the "big box" businesses as a tool to make all the other smaller, Republicanistas sorry they chose to be so cold-hearted(brained) against their fellow Americans...the ones who depend on social security and for the wealthy to pay their fair share of taxes.

If anyone is getting a "free lunch" it is the rich capitalist class that is avoiding(evading) paying taxes and pushing the tax burden on to everyone else.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

Mr. bicyclingjroad: I agree quite a lot with what you said about insurance. But there is a difference between freedom to buy insurance and imposed insurance. Now that insurance was imposed on us and it became an institution and took our money...I want at least what I put into it...with interest. If I manage to live longer than that and get social security then...well, that's the insurance part.

Insurance is a gamble...a bet...a bet that we will live long enough to not only get back what we paid into it but, hopefully, even longer and continue to receive payments. The government is betting we will not live long enough to receive all we put in. Most of us do die off before we can collect. But this was not voluntary insurance...we were forced to pay FICA by the government.

That is one reason why I am so much against the so-called Obama-care "forced insurance" as it is. It is really not a plan, born with the same sincere concern for the well being of the people as when Social Security was formed. And we will be forced to make payments...not to the government...but to a private insurance company...insurance companies who have to make a profit to pay off their exorbitantly high paid execs ...CEOs making billions of dollars in salaries and bonuses for having turned down needed health care or operations to those who made their payments.

I know the new Obama-care plan is touted to prevent pre-existing conditions from being an option for the HealthScare provider...but it doesn't prevent them from raising their rates so high that no one can afford them anyway..yet we will still be forced (or fined) to make them anyway..bankrupting many along the way. It was a give away to the HealthScare providers and pharmaceuticals.

It would have been much better to at least have had a public option (better...a single payer system)...I would much rather have a government, with decently paid (but not exorbitantly paid..as in the private sector) manage my health care (like in most of the other countries) than a profit-driven private sector....provided it was not constantly, successfully attacked by foot stomping, "no compromise", cry baby Republicans.

I have nothing but high praise for the VA health-care system. And I wish such a system was available to everyone...including one's spouses and children...I'd be glad to pay into such a system.

RichardofJeffersonCity's picture
RichardofJeffer... 8 years 37 weeks ago

Murdoch keeps making the point as to why he shouldn’t be running News Corp. While being questioned by the parliamentary committee he kept repeating as a defense that his corporation is so vast he couldn’t have known what was going on. With all those clever Brits sitting on that committee none of them had the revelation that maybe his media empire was too big for one man to own. If you cannot control it you should not own it! I would suggest that they didn’t dare ask such an obvious question for fear of reprisal or maybe a possible job opportunity in the future

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

My idea is not to harm those small businesses..or even big businesses who are progressive...or even...not working or voting for politicians or issues that work toward abolishing or adversely affecting social security, or other social programs.

By all means, do all your business with them...even better! It would kill two birds with one stone. Shopping at the "big box" businesses would only be killing one bird with one stone while feeding the other bird...but the dead bird, a vulture all the same, is much bigger than the one you feed...and it will result in devouring you if you don't kill it first.
Note: the word "kill" is purely and strictly figurative and not literal. I don't want to actually kill anyone except the organizations that are out to "kill" me. It's self defense! Besides, we, the people, did not start this class war but I am hoping we win it.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

"If you can't control it, you shouldn't own it"
Excellent! Too big to control...too big to fail..too big to own!
Split it up so someone can be held accountable. It's like "plausible deniability" ...it's not really plausible nor is it deniable but someone believes in it.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

I got the visual of a bunch of chip monks sitting around a vulture just then....damn remote viewing...I knew I shouldn't have taken all those home-study courses...should have known that if I can't kill a goat by staring at it..then it just isn't working. I want my money back!

bicyclingjroad's picture
bicyclingjroad 8 years 37 weeks ago

Mr. P, I agree with your assesment of Obama care, it's a disaster. But I have to disagree with you a bit about singler payer health care. I lived in Canada for 6 years. Canada's singler payer system is a wellness program. If you get sick there is a problem. A lot of Canadians have additional health insurance through there employer, to cover them in case they get sick. The system itself has degenerated into a health care for the haves (they see a regular doctor) and the have not's, (they go to a clinic). Most doctors in Canada will not take new patients, and if they do, they look for those with supplemental insurance.

We don't have a health care problem in the US, we have a cost problem. Going to a single payer system will not fix that, (look at all the corruption in Medicare and Medicade). No it's more complex. I like the competitive system we now have. If I don't like, my doctor or insurance, I change. You can't do that under single payer.

jdjay's picture
jdjay 8 years 37 weeks ago

I think his empire is in a natural process of disintegration Thom and there is nothing Rupert can do even with all the money in the world to stop it. Please do your best to hasten that disintegration.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

And all the king's horses...and all the king's men couldn't put poor old Rupert Murdoch back together again!
Rest in hell old man!

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

Yes, I've heard about the Canadian Prime Minister..Stephen Harper....not much different than Bush..I understand. I suspect that it wouldn't take much for the right-wingers to destroy a good thing. They are very sneaky, you know. They'll do anything and everything it takes to screw things up, or prevent good things from happening, by using all the dirty tricks in the book. And there was a good documentary on Free Speech TV recently about Mr. Harper and how Canadian's free speech, especially about the Israeli/Palestinian issue, is pretty much clamped down on. According to the documentary, they even beat the US in Kissing A$$ to the one that does not speak Arabic.

I used to think Canada was better in many ways than the US but, well...things often, unfortunately, change for the worse..and not often for the better. I used to travel up to Edmonton, for my work, (it was very nice and very colorful) and they were really protecting the interests of their workers by making it a real pain for me to take in parts to repair equipment. I remember having to pay a value added tax VAT. The price of gas was, however, pretty high though. Don't know how it is there now but I'm not getting good vibes on it. The right-winger tentacles are far reaching and wide-spread.

I have heard other Canadians, and other people from other countries, who have this single-payer system, who all liked it. I'll tell you one thing...having some kind of health care system that all people can afford and can rely on is better than not having any. And it is better than ones that not only have ridiculously, unaffordable payments but which also weasel out of their obligations using pre-existing conditions. I wouldn't mind waiting longer for an operation, or in waiting rooms to see the doctors...or even a nurse...an EMT...anyone with medical knowledge... if the alternative was nothing at all ...or having to rob a bank for a dollar (or whatever amount is required to have a prison sentence long enough to get a serious medical condition taken care of).

The Canadians, and other countries, have a system that allows bargaining and competing with Pharmaceuticals...we can't do that...and have to pay ridiculous prices.

If you are employed in the US and have company insurance you don't have to worry...yet...wait till you are laid off...then what are you going to do then?

VA Healthcare is government run and they are not out to scam you out of your money and don't have high paid CEOs that have a selfish and inhuman incentive to find ways of holding back on needed healthcare and procedures. I am very, very happy with VA healthcare. I don't know if it is the same everywhere...but it is sure fantastic here.

I'm sure there are government employees, managers, who may have messed things up at times but they sure don't have the profit motive of billions of dollars to entice them into scheming and deciding who lives or dies for profit. But then, I imagine that they can be bought off just as politicians are bought off too.

I'd say we have both a health care problem and a cost problem. Unless you can afford the cost of health care you don't get the care. And the costs could be brought under control if we had fewer Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats and more progressive Democrats to regulate and enforce laws designed to keep the casino capitalists, and bankster gangsters, from demanding and getting an unfair slice of the American pie. Our political system is corrupt and many politicians are bought off by big business. Yes, there has been some corruption in Medicare and Medicaid...most likely from rich Republican Doctors scamming the system..but look at our economy now...nothing in the corruption found in those programs compares even slightly to the corruption and mismanagement..outright fraud in the private business sector....motivated by extreme profits.

It wasn't government workers or managers who gamed the system creating the Enrons...the Bernie Madoffs...the CDOs/CDSs..Ponzi-schemers....the outright casinofication of our economy. It was because our government lost control over these criminals and began to be controlled by them. We need to get our government back once again into the hands of the people...the democracy....and away from the Corporatocrats or Plutocrats...Fascists. One way of doing that is to make all companies know that....either they convince us that they are with us, the people, their customers, in democracy, in honoring our social INSURANCE programs, or we will change our shopping activities to exclude them.

And although we know that "big box" corporations like Walmart are certainly not our friends...we can use them as a tool to boycott all those aforementioned bad guys...who are, in total, much bigger and more powerful than Walmart.

I know Walmart is the biggest employer, and probably the biggest exploiter, who pays their emloyees very little with no health care...I know all of that but the logistics is that they have nearly everything most people need, and at the cheapest prices, (usually...and, of course, that could change) but, while we are buying from the devil, we are still making an impact that might just make all those other Republican business owners change their tune about a lot of things. No business...no profits. They are already shipping our jobs overseas anyway...just a matter of time...fellow serfs...just a matter of time...!

2950-10K's picture
2950-10K 8 years 37 weeks ago

One very important component in a functional democracy is a news media that serves the general public with balanced and unbiased reporting of truths and facts. This necessary adversarial role is a tool meant to help keep our leaders honest and on task and expose those who would choose to do otherwise.

Murdoch's absolute corruption and monopolization of this necessary component has indirectly caused a great deal of pain and suffering and endangered the general welfare of the entire population excluding the elite few who benefit financially from the madness.

If nothing else comes out of the current scandal we at least need existing laws enforced, as well as new ones created to dismantle Murdoch's empire and ensure this does'nt happen again.

We all understand that because of what President Obama stands for, Murdoch and his criminal machine have made him one of their prime political targets. This said, he and all of us need to, "consider the source", and filter out all of the fox nonsense before making any judgements or decisions regarding the current financial crisis.

I for one, as a lifetime independent and despite recent frustrations, still stand behind the President and the Democrats, but truly hope they all follow Senator Sanders example and maintain enough backbone to do whats right.

Thom, keep fighting the good fight, you're an inspiration to us all!

bicyclingjroad's picture
bicyclingjroad 8 years 37 weeks ago

Hey P, things ain't that bad, don't go opening a vein. Live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself.

David Abbot's picture
David Abbot 8 years 37 weeks ago

Corporations should not be allowed to own newspapers or radio or tv stations. No one person should be allowed to own a newspaper, radio station, or tv station in a country, state, or city that he doesn't live in, and if someone owns a newspaper, he shouldn't be allowed to own a radio station or tv station, and vice versa.

No one person or corporation should be allowed to own more than two stores of any kind anywhere in America. Back to small businesses that are run by human beings who live close enough to the businesses they own, that their neighbors can put social pressure on them to behave like human beings, and if need be sue them locally.

And while I'm on the subject of suing, this business of the plaintiffs' lawyers guzzling up 99.9999% of the court settlement in every class action lawsuit, is clear evidence of their greed. From the amount of money they grab, you would think that THEY are the ones who were wronged. Admittedly, they're better than the defendants' lawyers in class action suits, but not by much.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

B: nope, I'm not about to do anything drastic like that...but it seems to me that the attitude that "tomorrow will take care of itself" is how we let the corporate criminals get away with what they did all these years.

The Muslims have a phrase which also kind of reflects that attitude as well...."Inshallah"...which, in case no one knows already, means "be it the will of God (Allah)"...seems to me to be a bit of a defeatist attitude and encourages a "nothing we can do about it attitude"...countered only by another word "Jihad" which, of course means they fully intend to get active and do something about it...not the actual literal translation...of course! But I'm thinking that masses of Americans will soon be at the jihad stage...no, not blowing themselves up thinking they will get even one virgin in heaven, but will finally wake up to get out of the "nothing we can do about it" attitude.

When I was in Saudi Arabia, there was a kind of story going around that they lost more Jet Fighters because of that attitude...the trainee Saudi pilot is diving toward the ground...oh well, Inshallah! Probably not even true. But it's not as denigrating as the "Saudi National Bird". So I won't tell you that one....has nothing to do with fingers either. But I sure saw a lot of them.

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

Carpe Diem: Uh, there goes my job.
Carpe Diem: Uh, there goes my house.
Carpe Diem: Uh, there goes the wife and kids.
Carpe Diem: Uh, now where was that soup kitchen again?
Brother can you spare a dime?
That's where we are headed for many of us...that's where many of us are already. Nope, I'm doing just fine for now but I know it can, and most probably will, get really, really bad for a lot of people. You ain't seen nuttin' yet!

Palindromedary 8 years 37 weeks ago

I know what you mean about those "class action" notices asking you to join. They make it look like you have to join their class action..and that if you don't join that class action suit you cannot, later, sue them for yourself...not that I would even want to.....and because it looks so legal and important you stress out and actually might think you have to read these pieces of junk mail. What would happen if you join the class action suit and then lose the case and then the defendants decide to counter sue for frivolous lawsuit..you would be risking being sued...you could lose a lot...and for what?? So some damn lawyers can get rich...they do take the lions share of any determination leaving peanuts for anyone that joined. I think it is all just a racket. I never participate in those deals. Man if it isn't shysters trying to sell you a resort in a normally worthless desert to get your money...or a retirement home on the moon...they want to get you to refinance your house..invest in their investment group..(remember Enron...Bernie Madoff?)....or join their looney religion which constantly milks you for cash...or join a class action suit.

bicyclingjroad's picture
bicyclingjroad 8 years 37 weeks ago

You're a good man P, but calm down, some things are beyond your control.

gnscholla's picture
gnscholla 8 years 37 weeks ago

Well...........reading this............my perception tells me "ignorance" is alive and well!! God help us!!!!!!!

gnscholla's picture
gnscholla 8 years 37 weeks ago

I am with you on your perceptions........amen brother........amen!!!!!

johnmckinney's picture
johnmckinney 8 years 37 weeks ago

Look all, dont change the subject

Murdoch is a super-manipulative, maniacal, self-interested disgusting little whelt of a man. The anti-trust clauses written into our constitution are so very freaking dead.

That is the point.

Murdoch spins every news story he ever hears, first in his perverted little mind and then he phones one or more editors and producers.

He lied his tail off at the parliament hearing repeatedly claiming "lack of knowledge" to each incident and charge. Nothing will happen to the old bastard.

He will probably marry a new younger hooker next spring though most likely, but keep the one he has now though around as a bodyguard.

Jake Justus's picture
Jake Justus 8 years 36 weeks ago

The question posed was, what should be done about Murdoch's media empire.

It would seem obvious that all of the media conglomerates, including Murdoch's, should be broken up. That would require an FCC and a Justice Department committed to that goal. The old rules against media consolidation, and the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the Robinson-Patman Act, would have to be reinvigorated. That seems unlikely, with Obama going hat in hand to Wall Street for bribes in the form of campaign contributions, and members of Congress doing the same; and all trying to get favorable coverage as well as money from the media companies.

Is Mad King Trump Deciding Which States Will Live and Which States Will Die?

Thom plus logo Mad king Donald has gone full Joe Stalin in the last week or so. He is helping his friends and punishing his enemies, and using the lives of hundreds of millions of Americans to do it. People are dying and more will die because of it.