The Republican Party has a serious problem on its hands – and its name is Newt Gingrich.

Newt shocked the establishment on Saturday night crushing Mitt Romney in a landslide victory in the South Carolina Primary. By referring to President Obama as the “Food Stamp President” as often as he could – and characterizing the poor, and in particular minorities, as lazy – Newt proved that race baiting in the South is still a winning strategy…at least when only Republicans are voting.

That means after three contests so far – and three different winners – this race is wide open – and Gingrich might have a real shot at becoming the nominee - Florida polls are showing him ahead there today. And with that – there’s already speculation that leaders within the Republican Party might push for a brokered convention – in which the nominee – who might not even be in the race today – is picked behind closed doors at the Republican National Convention later this year with little regard to what the actual voters across the nation wanted.

Stay tuned - this thing is just getting started.

Comments

mathboy's picture
mathboy 8 years 35 weeks ago

I'm still astounded that Republicans continue to talk as if everyone that lost their jobs in consequence of the 2008 housing bubble burst (me being one of them) just up and decided to be unemployed simultaneously.

chris mrosko's picture
chris mrosko 8 years 35 weeks ago

Gingrich is pretty good at undermining his political opponents even though the root of his message is often hyperbolic and full of distortions. I'm happy to see him lunging around in the ring with Romney well ahead of the fall elections except for the possible behind the scenes outcome that you mention... I wouldn't put it past the repubs to rob their varied base a voice in the matter though it's beginning to look more and more likely that could be the best way they have for holding their extremist herd together.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 8 years 35 weeks ago

For real... or a false flag?

Voters wanted: Alive, not deadMonday, January 16, 2012

Discovering that more than 900 people listed as deceased voted recently in South Carolina is alarming at any time.

But it is particularly problematic when people already are focused on possible voter fraud as it relates to a controversial state law that would require voters to show photo IDs.

And it is problematic when some voters are already skeptical about the accuracy of the state's voting machines.

The credibility of the electoral process is of critical importance. Voting is a treasured right of citizens. They deserve assurance that their votes will be fairly and accurately counted, and that only registered -- and living -- voters are allowed to cast ballots.

In a good move, state officials have requested the State Law Enforcement Division investigate records relating to the 900-plus-person discrepancy.

The state Department of Motor Vehicles found the names while comparing death records to State Election Commission records of when people last voted. But the DMV is not the agency to determine whether voter fraud has been committed.

If SLED determines widespread voter fraud has occurred, it will belie what opponents of South Carolina's new voter ID law have contended -- that there is no voter fraud. And it would provide evidence to the need for that law.

The voter ID law that passed last year requires people to have state- or military-issued identification, a U.S. passport or a new state voter registration card that contains a picture in order to vote in person. Photo identification is not required for voting by absentee ballot.

The law was rejected last month by the U.S. Department of Justice. S.C. Attorney General Alan Wilson plans to file a federal suit against the department to try to remove its objection to the law.

State investigators should waste no time finding the truth about the 900 names. Problems, whatever they are, need to be addressed well in advance of the general election in November and to the satisfaction of the people of the state.

The Legislature also should require an audit of the state's much criticized electronic voting machines to assure that they are providing for safe and secure elections.

Our government is designed to reflect the will of the people, as represented in their voting. If the voting system is compromised by fraud or technical problems, confidence in representative government is shaken at its foundation.

charell's picture
charell 8 years 35 weeks ago

Money Laundering Banks could also be lobbying for strict drug laws. Consider how much unreported, secret lobbying could be going on by Banks or Big Pharma as well as private prisons.
Cui Bono?

How a big US bank laundered billions from Mexico's murderous drug gangs:

leighmf's picture
leighmf 8 years 35 weeks ago

That's malarkey. Maybe you're my type and I can get your check. Do you like botanists?

illustrator5's picture
illustrator5 8 years 35 weeks ago

He's a "mean girl" in trousers. Anyone that knows his history would be aware of that. What suprises me is how the religious right is buying into his baloney. I mean really the guy is a money grubbing slime bag and his wife ain't much better either!

illustrator5's picture
illustrator5 8 years 35 weeks ago

I'd be more suspicious about votes dissappearing like that entire district in Iowa did. Don't you think this is just a little convienant to happen in a primary for the GOP? After all they would stoop to anything in my eyes to do voter supression so why not fraud to justify their main idea?

anja zelm's picture
anja zelm 8 years 35 weeks ago

yes, Newt would be a problem for democrats and President Obama. Newt is skilled at avoiding rehtorical cliches. Most politicos are not. Voters currently like outside-the-box speech. Newt "shoots from the hip". American's like that. President Obama fails to articulate solutions, and fails more significantly at implementation of "solutions"... Bottom line- Newt has more political capital and gravitas than President Obama. Would Newt be a good President... NO!

bwhiton's picture
bwhiton 8 years 35 weeks ago

As a life-long Republican, I am dismayed that the two front runners do not in any way represent me! One is a serial adulterer racist, and the other is so rich he feels no need to pay his fair share in taxes to support the country he supposedly loves so much. Mitt thinks that corporations are "People, my friend" and Newt thinks students whose families are below the poverty level (including elementary age) should be scrubbing the bathrooms. Where it the humanity? Where is the party of moral values? Where is the party of environmental action that I joined 50 years ago?

mwalkerco's picture
mwalkerco 8 years 35 weeks ago

Hard to imagine ANY democrat voting for Newt. And it apperas that only about 40% of republicons are willing to vote for him- did you see his negative rating on the Sunday shows this week?

"Matched against Gingrich, the president leads 48% to 39%" (today's Rassmussen). And he's almost 59% UNFAVORABLE even after win in SC (TPM PollTracker today) and that's his all-time high!

If NEWT is their guy, Obama can take a long vacation in Hawaii!

holleyjc's picture
holleyjc 8 years 35 weeks ago

Are you hiring?

bas75924 8 years 35 weeks ago

It's a bigger problem for our country if he get the nomination and somehow gets elected.

josephtoth's picture
josephtoth 8 years 35 weeks ago

Thom, Newt's becoming the Republican candidate for President could be a wolf in sheeps clothing. We all know his past and shortcomings.We would love to have him as the opponent. However, many on the right have little regard for the facts and are not eager to search them out. Given Obama"s superb ablitiy to debate he may unmask the fraud that Gingrich is. As you point out...Be careful what you wish for! Newt could pull this off.Thom, I urge you to stress the importance of winning back the House and getting a solid majority in the Senate on your show. Regardless of who is President we can get nothing done without this. Perhaps having those House and Senate candidates on on your show and getting the facts out to your audience will ignite the fire we all need.

readywork1@gmail.com 8 years 35 weeks ago

Yes i agree with Joseptoth at the end of the day, the House and Senate is the most important thing, we really need to stress this, and let people know, do not sit by idol, like in 2010 or history will continue to repeat its self. I really don't think Newt is a problem and I believe Obama we be re-elected as bad as the crazies are following such; a without a doubt idiot like Newt... at the end of the day I would like to believe there are enuff forward thinking americans that can put aside silly personal differences and realize we need to work together to make this world strong for not only us, our children and our childrens; children. I hope lol that common sense will prevail.... fingers crossed. lol

John Defalque's picture
John Defalque 8 years 35 weeks ago

As much as I hate Newt (skink, salamander) for being such a hypocrite by attacking Clinton for the same sexual pecadilloes that he is guilty of (only to a greater degree). I think that he is less financially isolated than Romney. Mitt has absolutely no idea of what it's like to be poor or to work like a slave labourer. Mitt is more out of touch with the masses than Newt. Newt may be morally bankrupt, but he at least, may have a tiny spark of compassion for the working poor.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 8 years 35 weeks ago

The DMV records are not always very accurate. In 2000, I bought a new car in the SF area and paid off the loan in a couple of years...by about 2002. I had been getting DMV renewal notifications in the mail for the first few years. Then, about 6 years ago, I stopped receiving the notices from DMV. I had inquired at DMV each year since and never got an answer...so I just kept renewing at the DMV with promises that they would look into it.

The last time I went in to complain, and ask why I have not received the renewal notification, they told me that the confusion might be because their records show that my car was registered under a dealership in LA. I had never bought a car at that dealership in LA, nor had I sold it to them. The dealer in SF area was not related to the one in LA...that I know of.

I had to fill out a form stating that I bought the car new at a dealer in the SF area new and have never sold the vehicle and have always been in possession of the car. I cannot understand how my car got registered as being owned by this dealer in LA. And I cannot understand why I was able to continue to register the car every year if this was the case. Nope, DMV is all screwed up for sure...at least the one in California.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 8 years 35 weeks ago

Obama may be able to unveil the fraud that Gingrich is ....but who will unveil the fraud that Obama is? They are all fraudsters! And the one that you believe is the least fraudulent will end up being the most fraudulent. They are pulling another one over on you. It uses your gullibility of hope that things will change for the better if you vote for the one that looks like he will be on your side.

It's a game of smoke and mirrors...a carney shell game...keep your eye on the pea. I won't matter who is elected...because even Obama is owned by the rich. He really is not the least of the evils.

Both the Republican and the Democrat parties are there to make sure that the rich win and the working, or unemployed, or retired people lose.

If you vote Republican...and are not filthy rich...then you are a useful idiot for the rich....if you vote Democrat...and are not filthy rich...then you are a useful idiot for the rich. There is only one way to stop this con-game...and it is not going to happen at the polls. We need more of Occupy Wall Street and it needs to grow in intensity. History has shown that that is the only way....it does not come about at the polls without the assistance of massive dissent to scare the bejesus out of the greedsters.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 8 years 35 weeks ago

I remember a few years ago, a poor Mexican...maybe he was a Central American...had come to the US to earn enough money to take back to his country to start a business. He worked many years in the US and finally saved up enough...I believe it was something over $10,000. He was stopped at the airport and his money was taken from him and he was thrown into jail...as I recall.

Now, how is it that these damn rich people in the US, like Mitt Romney and others, get away with getting their money out of the country, stashing it in foreign bank accounts, so as to evade taxes? They get away with it because our Government, if they do anything at all, will make a deal with these people...telling them that if they bring their money into the country...they will be taxed at a very low rate....only if they use it to create jobs. But, then after the get the tax break...they don't create jobs....they keep exporting our jobs. Our country is run by a bunch of criminals...both in private sectors and in our government ....the politicians....the bureaucrats.

If any of us try to take more than a certain amount of cash out of the country...we would have the same problem that that poor worker had.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 8 years 35 weeks ago

Remember how Newt responded to the question about his philandering? Remember how he became very indignant and belligerent...and his followers loved it? Now, picture the "Can't we all just...get along?" President Obama sparring with Newt about anything. Newt would have Obama looking like the wimp that he is....and if I thought that Obama, reelected, would make a difference then I would, nevertheless, be routing for him. But as Obama was never any good, except in his pre-election campaign speeches the first time, at sounding tough....he'll likely wimp out in any debate against Newt. Too bad...because I hate Newt and Mitt Romney...and especially the Republican party. I'm hoping that Ron Paul is part of any Obama, (Newt or Mitt), debate because Ron Paul would bring out things that really need to be debated....things that everyone else doesn't want to touch..things the ruling elite want to keep quiet..and things they will mutually agree not to mention.

MarygailLLCXi's picture
MarygailLLCXi 8 years 34 weeks ago

all politicians are equal even

Newt Gingrich is ONE OF THEM

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 8 years 34 weeks ago
Quote Palindromedary:I'm hoping that Ron Paul is part of any Obama, (Newt or Mitt), debate because Ron Paul would bring out things that really need to be debated....
True, but are we really such a pitiful nation, depending on an entirely crazy man, who at times speaks something out that should have been said? No, we're not. Join Stephanie Miller and Hal Sparks to such debate. Especially Sparks would utter points that would make a lot of people's ears get darn hot -- Ron Paul included.

Gingrich is the last I would trust. If it's true that Romney still has to learn compassion with working poor -- Gingrich isn't ready at all to feel something like that. But in fact I think they're both extremely dangerous because they have no inner values. Acting like nihilists. Goebels was a pure nihilist too. He didn't even believe in his Nazi ideology. Once he made a communist speech for fun and added proudly, he could do that as well. As he was a jazz fan, although officially prosecuting all who had to do with that.........

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 8 years 18 weeks ago
Quote Joseph L.:Now, I'm seeing you not only as a shill for Obama, (who is nothing but another puppet for the jew banksters), but also as someone who seems to tow the line that is the Al Qaeda/OBL lie. 9/11 was the beginning of the end, and was perpetrated by the Zionist Jews, (who aren't even Jews).

-------------

D E L E T E D

-------------

D E L E T E D

@ Administration and blog owners:

5/18/2012

This man is belittling the Holocaust, the administrators have to block him. I could attack him hard, I am tough enough -- but I principally don't discuss with Nazis. Belittling Holocaust is too much, a blog that makes that possible is harmful -- even if it's a liberal blog!

If you go on letting him abuse this blog for his anti-Semitic garbage I won't be able to go on as commentator. At times this blog does more harm than good, if right-wingers totally dominate the discussion. Why are so many liberals such suckers and unable to fight back? It really reminds me of Hitler laughing about the "feigen und schlappen Demokraten": This guy here, Joseph L. is already mocking, because my flagging him offensive doesn't have consequences.

----------------------------------------

Update 5/22/2012: "Jew banksters" is still a terrible anti-Semitic stereotype. The stuff he wrote later and thanks God is deleted was even worse, but this here is still awful.

Trump has told us how he and the Republicans plan to steal this election: can we stop him and save our republic?

Thom plus logo Donald Trump became president by exploiting a loophole called the Electoral College. The majority of Americans did not want him or vote for him as president, but he's there anyway.

Now he's planning on using a different loophole, the 12th Amendment, to hang onto power.
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places
"Right through the worst of the Bush years and into the present, Thom Hartmann has been one of the very few voices constantly willing to tell the truth. Rank him up there with Jon Stewart, Bill Moyers, and Paul Krugman for having the sheer persistent courage of his convictions."
Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth