Most Americans now disapprove of the Afghanistan War

No more war! That’s the message the American people are sending as approval for the Afghanistan war has now dropped to an all-time low. A new AP poll shows that only 27% of Americans support the war – that’s a ten-point drop from one year ago.

On the flip-side two-thirds of Americans are opposed to the war – and 40% say they are “strongly opposed” to the war. So far – 1,834 U.S. soldiers have died in Afghanistan – and the conditions don’t seem to be getting much better over there. French President-Elect Francois Hollande has promised to remove all troops from Afghanistan by the end of this year. I think it’s time we do the same.

Comments

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 12 years 6 weeks ago

If only our country was set up to do the will of its people.

N

leighmf's picture
leighmf 12 years 6 weeks ago

I am a Human American opposed to any war or any war related enterprise which enriches the bloody tyrants who are choking the life out of us and holding up the medical and technological progress of the entire world, unto its destruction.

GaryGreen's picture
GaryGreen 12 years 6 weeks ago

What will Obama do? Continue to act like the good little corporate sock puppet that he is while espousing liberal soundbites because it's election time.

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 12 years 6 weeks ago

Not unlike little toddlers : I wanna go in, I wanna go in! ..... Boohoo, I wanna go out -- Boohoohoo!

Exactly the same attitude that made us loose the House in 2010. I hate that attitude. Never again invade anywhere!

HalFonts's picture
HalFonts 12 years 6 weeks ago

The American People never bought into the war; so it really doesn't matter what "they" think. it's not their war.

If as I always thought, it was: (1) for the Caspian Oil & Gas (pipeline) and transhipment route, and (2) a place for squandering military resources (men and materiel) -- ie war-without-end, war-profits-without-end, and (3) keeping militant Islamic freedom-fighters (and fanatics) disrupted and away from Pakistan'e nuclear materiel -- then we will leave; but we'll still be there long into the future.

The People have nothing to do with the quagmire that the Cheany-Bush gang got us into. And, President Obama has nothing to do with the reality of it either.

What infuriates me is that NOONE, has even suggested holding the previous US regime responsible for these untenable, unendable wars. And now they have a 50-50% chance of returning to power. Boggles the mind. I saw it happening; was no one else watching?

Coulove's picture
Coulove 12 years 6 weeks ago

I don't think Obama will have a choice. The American people have spoken. I see our military returning from all over the world, swords to plowshares. The same happening in every other country in the world. I have a vision of the complete dematerialization of all weapons on Mother Earth and the beginning of 1000 years of abundance, peace, love, prosperity & joy.

Coulove

downn2 12 years 6 weeks ago

This isn't our war ...it's a continuation the conservatives never ending failed war on drugs they've been waging for the last 50 something years! You see, radical Evangelical extremist believe that voice in their head telling them that the whole society needs to be purified is GOD talking to them... and the only way to do that they believe is to WIPE OUT DRUGS, ,,and most of the world's poppy fields are guess where...That's right, in Afghanistan. Combine the fact THE WAR WILL NEVER BE OVER with how much money the defense industry makes off it and I guarantee you, it will never end.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"Thom Hartmann’s book explains in simple language and with concrete research the details of the Neo-con’s war against the American middle class. It proves what many have intuited and serves to remind us that without a healthy, employed, and vital middle class, America is no more than the richest Third World country on the planet."
Peter Coyote, Actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While