The Unemployed Are Screwed

The first casualties of going over the so-called “fiscal cliff” will be more than two million unemployed Americans who depend on extended emergency unemployment benefits. While most of the negative effects of going off the cliff, like the tax hikes and spending cuts, won’t be felt until further out into the future, the expiration of unemployment benefits will be an immediate shock to millions of Americans and the economy. And they are set to expire on Saturday, meaning Republicans in the House will already miss the deadline to extend them, since Speaker of the House Jon Boehner is waiting until Sunday to reconvene the House.

The unemployed in America have no lobbyists like the defense contractors, and have no interest groups like the billionaire banksters – so it’s no wonder why they will be the first casualties in the fiscal cliff showdown. The tragic irony here is these unemployed Americans, when they are receiving unemployment benefits and spending money in our economy, are the real job creators – and not rich guys like Mitt Romney who stash their money in offshore bank accounts and refuse to reinvest in the American economy.

Comments

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 9 years 49 weeks ago

Screw Uncle Sam! If he doesn't like what I have to say he can KISS MAH GRITS. This may not be the "free" country it likes to brag that it is, but I am a free spirit beholden to no one. No government is gonna gag me.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 9 years 49 weeks ago

Wow! Those must have been some comments!

I wouldn't worry too much Ken, your not the only person who is 'dissatisfied' with the status quo. Just try to keep those comments productive and no one is going to listen to you. LOL

I'd question the validity of those stories. I doubt the authorities are going to arrest someone for playing a game; or making a joke. I'd reserve any apprehension till I at least got a quote of what the man said.

Here in Oak town dissent is a way of life. No one fears any retribution for anything they say or do. And you wouldn't believe some of the things I've heard. With all due respect buddy, I haven't heard you say anything that should interest Uncle 5-0. Don't loose any sleep over it.

Good Night!

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 9 years 49 weeks ago

Wow Alice you are so right! Personally, as a technician I'd love the opportunity to open a business dedicated to removing such devices. I know a plethora of other Techs who would love to offer such services as well. What a great opportunity for entrepreneurs. LOL

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago
Quote DAnneMarc:"Seriously though Palindromedary, let me calm your fears. I happen to work in the high tech industry on state of the art equipment by a number of well known company's.

Well, gee, that's really impressive...and I have worked my whole life in electronics, with various test instruments, with schematic and logic diagrams, troubleshooting all the way from radar systems, communication systems, to computer systems, and then to robotics, lasers (interferometer and high powered), image recognition systems, and nano photo-lithographic equipment that is one step in manufacturing integrated circuit chips, thin film disc drive heads and nano tech devices..like accelerometers.

I agree that such spying devices in kitchen appliances would add to the cost...but, really, not that much when you compare it to multi-billion dollar spy centers like the one the NSA is building in Utah. It is slated to be ready by Sept 2013. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/ And besides, they always pass the costs on to the customer anyway.

And as for the government not having enough people to spy on everyone at once...is also true...but have you never heard of Echelon where they use dictionary computers that listen on every form of communication in the world... that listens for the key words that analysts deem important to pay attention to. All communications are stored in massive data spy centers and can be accessed by analysts anytime later. They also can listen to flagged words real time and can connect and listen to those conversations real-time.

I'm not really freaked out about all of this...I just think it is prudent that we know what our government is doing that can harm us in the future. Right now, they want us to believe that they are doing all this to protect us. Maybe...maybe not...but once they have this all in place, privacy will be a thing of the past.

Here's a schematic for you..you did know that it is possible to aim a laser beam at a window and the conversation inside the room causes the window to vibrate causing the returning laser beam, now modulated with the audio, and then demodulated so that someone doing this from a distance can actually monitor the conversation. http://servv89pn0aj.sn.sourcedns.com/~gbpprorg/mil/laserl/index.html

What about the Great Seal Bug way back in the 40s and early 50s..finally revealed to the public by Averell Harriman in 1960? The Soviets presented a gift to Ambassador Averell Harriman of a copy of the Great Seal which contained a bug consisting of a capacitive chamber that would vibrate when people spoke. The Soviets beamed a radio wave into the room from outside and the capacitive chamber modulated the returning radio wave.

Most kitchen devices now already have microprocessors. All it would need is a few more chips..perhaps only one if the chip was all inclusive.

And instead of a microphone element, they could even have a tiny laser component beaming a laser beam to the inside of the wall of, say, the refrigerator. Voice in the room would vibrate the wall and the returning modulated beam would then be demodulated, digitized, and broadcast wirelessly just like on an iphone. It would even be assigned it's own ipv6 IP number.

Science and technology to many would be like magic. They would chastise or denigrate their fellow beings who are merely trying to be messengers and prognosticators.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 9 years 49 weeks ago

To be honest Ken, those cameras on the street do bother me too. If they were their to discourage crime it would make me feel better. However, I recently inquired with the city whether they could provide a camera near my house in a particular crime infested area. I learned that the camera would cost the residents to install and had additional fees anytime used. If we have to pay for a camera to prevent crime in our area, what is the reason for placing those cameras in the city streets? That tidbit of information has never set well with me. Personally, I think we are all due an explanation!

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago
Quote Aliceinwonderland:"We can learn to identify the spy devices in these products and dismantle them.... or we can learn sign language! - Aliceinwonderland"

That's funny! Sign language! I suppose it wouldn't be very long before people found out how to recognize and disable them. It's kind of like proprietary software compared to open source software.

The idea with open source software is that it is open..(and usually free by the way) .ie: the code is open for viewing and analysis by anyone who can and chooses to. There are millions of people who can, and often do, peek inside and analyze it...finding bugs and/or malware. They are usually quick to publish their findings. And updates are often more frequent than Proprietary software updates.

Proprietary software (software you usually have to pay for) tries to keep prying eyes out and only the creators of the software can fix problems. But savvy hackers can often hack the code and install malware. Proprietary software usually has update cycles..oftentimes they won't even fix things they know are there until they are embarrassed to do so.

How many people have deactivated the RFID chips in their Debit or Credit cards? The only time it is useful is when you pay for something by waving it close to a reader. The card also has a magnetic strip and you have to swipe that through the reader.

It is possible for someone to have an RFID reader on their person while walking past someone with one of these cards and they can actually debit your account...just as if you had paid for your Starbucks Coffee.

The little square RFID chip, on the cards that have them, is barely visibly detectable..a raised square bump about 1/4-3/8" square. Around the edges of the card is an antenna that is not visible or detectable.

Some people disable the RFID chip by cutting it out with an exacto knife or other blade. Try not to penetrate tnhe front side of the card...do it carefully from the back..where it is visible. It is not even necessary to totally remove tnhe chip...just damage it.

The card's magnetic strip will still function for normal usage but it will no longer work by waving it in front of a detector and no one will be able to pick up the signal by walking by. I don't know if it is legal or not to do this...I am not a lawyer. So, if you do this to your cards it is all your responsibility. Do a search on this topic if you are thinking about doing it. ☮

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 9 years 49 weeks ago

By the way, DAnneMarc, I grew up in Oakland. Back in the fifties & sixties it was pretty rural, believe it or not. I haven't been there for years but will always think of it as my old home town.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 9 years 49 weeks ago

Point well made.

I'm aware of most of the technologies you've mentioned except the Great Seal Bug. Now that's nasty. Concerning the other technologies, once again I have to ask, so what? Is the information gathered going to justify the investment? Really?

You overlook one other little fact. We control the power outlet plug. WE THE PEOPLE also control what we buy. You have failed to mention why any Company would allow the Government to tamper with their products and risk the consequences on the marketplace?

Sure the internet, cell phones, land lines and individuals deemed important, dangerous, or interesting enough to risk being listened to with high tech listening devices. But what are you so worried about them hearing? These citizens pose no threat to the US Government. Using these devices are expensive and once again have to be cost justified. And besides, most conversations between average citizens are boring and innocent. The flags that those surveillance computers pick up are probably overloaded with tripe from our nations huge population of uneducated and unhappy juveniles who make up the biggest group who use those devices.

Personally, I really don't think the Government cares one bit about what we think. I think all that missing money was skimmed right into corrupt politicians and their cronies pockets. I think high tech surveillance equipment is a fancy toy for the 'intelligence' community that they haven't figured out how to properly or legally use and that nothing the Government does is going to prevent the inevitable title wave of karma that's headed its way.

I think life is too short to waste time and miss out on happiness over things you have no control over.

I also believe that intelligent dissenters will always find a way around anything the Feds throw at them. I've never seen any scheme that worked against an informed electorate.

That's just my opinion. With that! I bid you a Good Night!

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago

DAnneMarc: Frys has quite an assortment of cameras that one could very easily (relatively speaking) install overlooking your front door, back door, and drive way. It makes passers by a bit nervous that they are being watched but so what..they eventually get used to it and ignore it. Funny, I guess the government might have the same attitude.

Just the other evening, I caught this sneaky son-of-a-gun trying to steal packages left by UPS. He noticed my cameras, acted nervous and hesitant but then started walking toward my front door anyway. By the time I got to my front door..he was walking very fast across the neighbor's lawns checking for packages at their front doors. Since I didn't really know, for sure, that's what he was up to I didn't even yell at him. Confrontations can be messy. News reports of late have shown videos of people catching these package thieves in the act.

As a matter of fact, this was the second incident..the first was several weeks ago..I see this lady walking up by drive way and so I switched to the front door camera and I see her open my mail box and looked in. This was late in the day and she was certainly not my mailMAN and she wasn't putting anything in but just looking in. I opened the door and caught her just about to walk away. She was yammering away in broken English and pointing to the yard saying something about "package". She eventually left. I probably should have called the cops; but, other than it being federal offense, technically, to even open someones mailbox, without being the postman or the recipient of the mail...she didn't actually steal anything...maybe an attempted identity thief or just a nosy neighbor or real estate agent trying to get my name from the letters. I have a locked mailbox so she was only able to swing open the trap door without actually any access to anything inside.

And, yes, Ken, you had me pegged right about watching out for people. If you don't, they'll sneak up on you and either steal something, do damage to your property, or kill you. I'm not fond of any of those ideas.

One thing I'm definitely not ever going to do is to meet someone outside with a weapon..nor get hostile with anhyone....like what's his name in Florida. I don't consider myself a community watch dog and people with hoodies go past all the time which doesn't bother me at all. I sometimes wear them myself.

I realize you, DAnneMarc, may be very technically oriented and anything I say about surveillance equipment is probably pretty low tech for you so I apologize in advance. Others reading this, if they even got this far from boredom, maybe, may think it useful.

By the way if you don't want to run cable through your attic..they have wireless all-weather cameras too. I suggest spending a little money buying the hi definition night vision with a zillion IR LEDS with a range of at least 100 feet...depending on the actual range you need to cover. More is better. Most of these cameras have a very narrow viewing angle so to cover a two car driveway...use two cameras aimed in opposite directions like an X.

And it is a good idea to get a controller that has a hard drive for recording the surveillance videos..and other features...like on-line surveillance of your home from your work or anywhere else you go using your laptop or iphone. ☮

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago
Quote DAnneMarc: "You have failed to mention why any Company would allow the Government to tamper with their products and risk the consequences on the marketplace?"

Why has all of the telecoms and internet social media companies like Twitter and Facebook acted like a front end to the CIA? And yes, there has been some attempted hesitation to cooperate by some but others has just fallen right in line to take orders from the government. All for a good cause, you know...fighting terrorism! Right!

Quote ZDNET: "The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency on a daily basis, out of an "anonymous industrial park in Virginia", follows over 5 million tweets by users on the ground. " " also trawls other social networking sites like Facebook, along with Internet chat rooms; all the way down to newspapers and anything that anyone can contribute to openly."

Quote the ONION: "The CIA's invention of Facebook has saved the government millions of dollars."

video:

Quote Examiner: "We all know that “he who pays the check, calls the shots,” therefore; whoever controls the purse strings controls the whole project. When it had less than a million or so participants, Facebook demonstrated the potential to do even more than IAO, TIA and TIPS combined. Facebook really exploded after its second round of funding—$12.7 million from the venture capital firm Accel Partners. Its manager, James Breyer, was formerly chairman of the National Venture Capital Association and served on the board with Gilman Louie, CEO of In-Q-Tel, a venture capital front established by the CIA in 1999. In-Q-Tel is the same outfit that funds Google and other technological powerhouses. One of its specialties is “data mining technologies.”

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago
Quote DAnneMarc:"Everyone has political opinions. If the government is so concerned about political opinions that they eves drop on us, that is certainly despicable and illegal; and yet, its also nice that they are finally doing their job--listening to the people.

Right! But if they were listening to the people and modifying their criminal behavior...like special renditions, torture, illegal wars, etc. then it would all be good, eh, but since they are not doing any of these things what do you think they are really up to?

Those with a Pollyanaish attitude are so easy to control. What do we have to hide? Well, why don't you just post your bank account number and passwords on-line for everyone to see? I'd say everyone has something to hide. Criminals are criminals no matter what positions they've managed to attain outside or inside of government. I'd say an organization that has imported illegal drugs all these years, has tortured people, has trained others how to torture other people, has murdered people, has done all manner of illegal financial transactions is someone to not trust. And when you know these criminals are spying on you it should send shivers up the spines of most sane people. People in Nazi Germany thought their government had their best interests in mind as well. Don't make the same mistake here in America.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago
Quote DAnneMarc: " I've never seen any scheme that worked against an informed electorate."

They obviously are not all that informed...they fell for the old vote for the least of two evils...again!

No Fraud's picture
No Fraud 9 years 49 weeks ago

Here is what American History has taught me:

The common U.S. citizen has NEVER truely been free.
The common U.S. citizen is a pawn for the war machine.

The Declaration of Independence
The U.S. Constitution
The Bill of Rights...
Were ALL ment for wealthy elite white men who could not rise to power under Brittish rule and did not want to pay taxes. But the 1% knew they could not be successful without a mass of patsies.

The concept of a Democratic Government was sold to the commoners as a way of gaining personal liberty; free from religious persecution and the equal opportunity to prosper. However much of American history proves we have never truly reached those absolutes.

The Minute Men were all promissed land free of taxes...In the end only a few Officers received this promise in full.

The first ammendment applies...until you express dissent against the system.

The fourth ammendment remains in writting but is no longer upheld...Unless you are uber wealthy and on the elite list.

KEN WARE, PALINDROMEDARY, ALICEINWONDERLAND, MARK SAULYS, and anyone else...What have you learned?

Mark Saulys's picture
Mark Saulys 9 years 49 weeks ago

The only problem is they can put you on a "no fly" list or prosecute on some new "anti terror" laws or not even prosecute you, just hold you without charge under NDAA or what. Anyway, they shouldn't be able to spy on American citizens. The purpose of the rights of the accused or the rights of the suspected (the "innocent 'til proven guilty") is not to aid and abett the guilty but to protect the INNOCENT from unwarranted harrassment by the authorities.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 9 years 49 weeks ago

Well Palindromedary, after listening to your well composed very informed response I only have two words for you, "Tu Shay!" I couldn't agree more. Thank you for that insightful education.

But don't give up on an informed electorate. Despite the obvious what meets the eye, I'd 'like to believe' the American public is smarter than it looks. The comments and opinions I've read on this blog certainly do support that contention.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 9 years 49 weeks ago

Thanks for the good advice. I've heard the same recommendations from others as well and plan to do just that when I can afford it. I've also had dummy cameras recommended. They have the advantage of looking real and costing less. An installer said that together with a warning sign they can cause the same effect.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago

No Fraud: I've learned that there is so much more to learn..and not to be lulled into a false sense of security by so-called authorities. Because once they screw us, they've lost all credibility...especially after they continue to screw ujs over and over again. "Fair is foul and foul is fair." As it has always been and forever shall it be. I very much agree with your assessment of the way things were and are...most foul indeed.

And just to add to some of the things you have pointed out another one comes to mind: Paul Dickson and Thomas B. Allen wrote a book called "The Bonus Army" about how WW1 soldiers had been promised cash bonuses called "service certificates" in about 1914 (at the beginning of the war). Eight years later, in 1932, the government reneged on those certificates, paying them only $60.00, in the height of a depression. 43,000 marchers, 17,000 war veterans and their families had camped in front of the Capitol in protest. Even Gen. Smedley Butler joined the protest. Gen Douglas MacArthur, fearing the veterans were "communist inspired", went in without Hoover's order to remove the veterans and used the cavalry with bayonets attached to their rifles, and used tear gas and tanks, chased the veterans and their families out and burned the shelters and their belongings. The next year, 1933, the beginning of the FDR Administration...Roosevelt had started the CCC..conservation corps...which helped some people ...but in 1936 he still would not approve making good on the bonuses and congress overrode his veto. But FDR was still adamant about not paying the vets and so sent many to work camps..one of which was down in Florida where a very hurricane killed 250 vets. Heck of a job...Brownie...I mean FDR. The New Deal whitewashed and covered up the facts.

And now the capitalist rats of our day wants to renege on Social Security and Medicare and other social programs while they squander all of it on wasteful wars and military industrial complex scams and programs to spy on the American people. They're playing games with our minds with gobbledygook like "fiscal cliffs". Watch the pea, watch the pea...place your bets and guess under which cup is the pea. Aww...sorry sonny you lost...Run along now to your mommy! ☮

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 49 weeks ago

Yes - No Fraud - I have learned something, you guys stay up a lot latter than I do! And it appears you all are as opinionated and stubborn as I am! All of you are just less aggressive than me, but some of you still use a voice of condescending or dismissiveness or patronizing to get your points across to others! Not aggressive, but just as talking down to others. Not everyone, but some do use this method to demean another’s opinion on a subject. You just do it in a civil manner! Ha! So yes I have learned something….To be less aggressive when disagreeing with another person’s point of view! Have a good one!

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 49 weeks ago

Also, you guys and gals are really pissed off at most things involving our Nation. What happened in the last forty years to make us all so angry is a subject we all could rant on about for hours. I guess it is better left alone for now. Or am I just too passive to continue?

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago

Ken: I certainly don't mean to be condescending..just trying to participate in the conversation..and expressing my views. I also think of it as a way to keep my brain from deteriorating and a way to hone my ability to express cogent ideas (well, sometimes anyway..many may differ on that assessment). It helps me keep my typing and writing skills intact. Although, slicing off the tip of my finger in a potato peeler the last day of 2012 hasn't been easy for me to type...with all that tape keeping the blood from gushing out I am constantly hitting double keys and having to correct the typos. Sorry to be so graphic. I need to trash that dangerous potato peeler for a safer one. ☮

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago

Thank you, DAnneMarc...

I don't really know if dummy cameras work...someone sent one to me one time and it just looked fake...but anything, as a deterrent, is better than nothing. Yes, I know those surveillance camera kits can be pretty expensive. Good luck!

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago

Mark Saulys: In addition...they can now torture an American citizen in the United States or even kill him/her. A real Bummer! ☮

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 9 years 49 weeks ago

Ken:
Here are just some of the reasons....
Article by Steve Kangas:

Steve Kangas had a very popular web-site that extensively criticized conservatives...especially wealthy financier Richard Mellon Scaife. Steve was first found, by a building engineer, dead of gunshot wounds lying on the floor of a men's room just down the hall from Scaife's office. The police ruled it a suicide. But there are some really unusual twists about this story that would put doubt on the suicide theory.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 9 years 48 weeks ago

What have I learned? Well... I know this is gonna piss off one or two of you but... nothing.

I knew when I voted for Obama that beating R&R was gonna come at a heavy price. And I - we - are paying it now. But I also know that had Romney won, this situation (bad as it is) would have been a whole lot worse. And while I'm certain Thom Hartmann is just as disgusted as I am with Obama's handling of Baby Bush's tax cuts and the mythical cliff (UNBELIEVABLY stupid!), I'm just as confident he would agree that Romney would have been way, way worse.

My intuition about such things has been incredibly accurate over the past 35+ years, especially at times like this when I've wanted so badly to be wrong. - Aliceinwonderland

No Fraud's picture
No Fraud 9 years 48 weeks ago

Oh the tangled wed we weave!
Your excuse for casting a fear vote is very common amongst those who voted for Obama. I wonder what would have happened if people who cast fear votes for Obama would have been more proactive and voted third party i.e. Julie Stein, or Rocky Anderson?

Most of my friends - who are made up of both republicans and democrates - voted for third party candidate Rocky Anderson.
It's apparent that had fear voters cast their vote for what they value...We would have a President that represents the people.

SHAKE THE TREE IN 2016...NO MORE FEAR VOTES!!!

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 9 years 48 weeks ago

Just for the record No Fraud- Rocky Anderson was my very favorite candidate. If he runs again, he's got my vote.

Argon's picture
Argon 9 years 39 weeks ago

Having been unemployed earlier this year (and 2009-2010) I think it needs to be pointed out that we unemployed are still required to pay taxes, both state and federal - including social security. You can elect to not have them withheld from your individual disbursements but they are still tallied as (unearned) income come April 15th.

In Oklahoma even though I did not have to previously pay federal taxes I STILL had to send money in to the State of Oklahoma - despite the Frank Keating, Todd Hiatt and Vince Cargil "tax cuts".

And our beloved "conservative" legislature and Governer believe that even though we can not affoard to remove state sales taxes on groceries, or pay previously contracted pension payments to State employees or teachers we still need to cut the income taxes.

The republican right-wing bubble machine continues to propaganise Oklahomans so it is all the Democrats and Obamas fault.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
"Thom Hartmann seeks out interesting subjects from such disparate outposts of curiosity that you have to wonder whether or not he uncovered them or they selected him."
Leonardo DiCaprio, actor, producer, and environmental activist