What world do Conservatives live in?

You need to know this…. Conservatives live in a fantasy world, and nowhere is that more clear right now than in Washington State.

Right now, the Evergreen State is trying to streamline its policies on medical and recreational marijuana. Back in 2012, Washington State voters approved the creation of a legal recreational-marijuana market. That market is now heavily regulated and taxed.

Unfortunately, there was nothing in the measure voters approved that talked about the state’s medical marijuana market, and how it should be regulated.

So now, there are two competing bills sitting in the Washington State senate that both seek to address that state’s medical marijuana market. One of the bills is from a Republican state senator, and the other is from a Democrat state senator.

The Republican measure, introduced by State Senator Ann Rivers, would put much of the control of Washington State’s medical marijuana market in the hands of a few very wealthy individuals. Those very wealthy individuals, led by millionaire Martin Tobias, a former Microsoft executive, are behind the Washington CannaBusiness Association.

That group, also known as WACA, lobbied heavily for the Republican-backed legislation, and gave multiple donations to Republican lawmakers in the Evergreen State. The WACA-fueled measure would essentially destroy independent growers and non-profit growing co-ops, retailers and sellers who have been around since the birth of Washington State’s medical marijuana program in the late 90’s.

Meanwhile, there’s the proposed legislation from Democratic State Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles. Her bill wouldn’t put control over the medical marijuana market in just a few hands. Instead, it would allow anyone in Washington State who’s 21 years or older to grow up to six marijuana plants and to share up to an ounce of marijuana. with other adults, as long as money isn’t exchanged.

The Democrats’ bill would also pave the way for more marijuana growers to be licensed and for more retail shops to pop up across the state - you know, let a thousand small businesses grow!

Basically, when it comes to a medical marijuana system in Washington State, the legislative choice is between a system that allows a lot of people to earn a decent amount of money through owning or working at their own local, small co-op - or system where just a few people make massive amounts of money by monopolizing the marketplace. And, because the Washington State senate is controlled by Republicans, we can probably guess which way they’ll vote.

That’s because Conservatives have a very “unique” view of the world. They think it’s better for one person to get mind-bogglingly rich than for the masses to rise into the middle-class and live comfortable lives.

Similarly, they have a very different view of the American Dream. Prior to Regan, living the American Dream meant having a good-paying job, being able to get a good education, and living a comfortable middle-class life.

Since Reagan, living the American Dream means hitting the jackpot in a lottery drawing, or magically becoming the next Mark Zuckerberg, and Conservatives are fine with that. They’re fine with an elitist American Dream that’s only achievable for a select few people.

So, why is that? Why do Conservatives have such a twisted view of the American Dream that they would even put it into legislation?

Comments

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner 7 years 32 weeks ago

Both views are wrong. The government shouldn't put the right to sell in just a few hands nor should it limit how much marijuana adults can buy, sell, produce or consume. It looks like the battle of two fascistic factions. Count me out.

Mark J. Saulys's picture
Mark J. Saulys 7 years 32 weeks ago

Conservatives are always about a small minority benefitting rather than, if not everybody then, at least, a majority doing so - like a liberal or a socialist would be. They are not about freedom for the many but about privilege for the few.

This marijuana debate in Washington is a perfect example. Privatization of the Post Office, or anything else for that matter, is another. Take it out of the hands and benefit for the many and place it in those of the few.

Some one asshole could get rich so why should the many benefit from it? Better the many be miserable if it could allow one pig to get incredibly fat with superfluous wealth - willfully perverse logic.

stopgap's picture
stopgap 7 years 32 weeks ago

Republican is no longer a party, it's a religion…The Religion of Wrong.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 32 weeks ago

Hypocrites!! What ever happened to small government? Now these 'fiscal' conservatives want to step into an entire new industry and hand total control of it over to the privileged few? Why not stand true to their ideals and insist on hand off this new industry. "Let the market decide!"

Kend's picture
Kend 7 years 32 weeks ago

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 32 weeks ago
Quote Kend:Can someone explain to me why we are spending billions to get people to stop smoking cigarettes but at the same time pushing for more laws to allow smoking a different kind of tobacco. Seems kinda stupid yo me.

Kend ~ I'd be happy to explain that to you, my friend. You see, after years of scientific study we have learned that smoking tobacco takes the lives of 375,000 people per year. Marijuana use has not lead to any deaths; and, more importantly, has proven to be USEFUL in treating a plethora of health problems, including, addiction to other drugs. Perhaps it's greatest benefit is helping people like me cope with people like you. No offense. It is a necessary transition of society for the betterment of public health and mankind. AKA-Progress. AKA-evolution.

Kend's picture
Kend 7 years 32 weeks ago

Marc I did a little study of my own at my high school reunion and found out extensive pot use keeps people in 1979.

The coping with people like me thing is a little low buddy. Lol. No offence taken.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

Kend, you can always be counted on for these kinds of know-nothing remarks. What the hell have YOU been smokin'?

Frankly, while I've a huge preference for the Democratic version of Washington's marijuana policy, even the Dems' policy does not thrill me. I'm sick of the power trips. I think anyone should be able to grow the stuff, in any amount they want. And if they wish to sell some of it, or all of it, that should be their prerogative. The only reason I can see for the Dems' version to prohibit the sale of it is the goddam money. Fuck the money. It's just a plant that grows like a dandelion or a head of lettuce; there's not a lot of raw materials involved in its production, coming from various sources; it doesn't involve a factory full of employees; it's only a plant, dammit! I'm sick of these bloody control freaks dictating who can grow it and who can or cannot sell it. Fuck them. They can kiss this old hippie's ass.

Mark my words; the oligarchs will never control it, no matter how hard they try! This cannabis subculture has survived in the black market for nearly a century; we're accustomed to functioning outside the perimeters of the law, and if these bastards make it too difficult to do or get pot legally, then we'll continue doing it illegally. The hell with them. And I'll be damned if I let my appetite for pot make anyone rich, or contribute to something as disgusting as that. Fuck the greed. Enough already! - AIW

Mark J. Saulys's picture
Mark J. Saulys 7 years 32 weeks ago

Kend, it's the other way, being stuck in 1979 keeps you smoking pot.

Kend's picture
Kend 7 years 32 weeks ago

Sorry mark. Never touch the stuff. That's why I could care less how it's sold. I was just saying its kind of a double standard. Don't smoke this but here smoke this it's great for you.

Ou812's picture
Ou812 7 years 32 weeks ago

Alice, sorry but the days of Marijuana subculture are behind you. I'm not a user, I've tried it but didn't like it. You're argument it's only a weed could be made for alcohol (it's only a grape or a grain), or tobacco it's only a plant. The subculture pushed for legalization, and with legalization comes regulation. Rules governing growing and using Marijuana are going to happen, and of course taxes. If you want to see the future of Marijuana, look at how alcohol is regulated. Some states only sell alcohol through state owned stores, other states leave the sale of alcohol to a licensed private sector. Marijuana growers will be viewed as 'moonshiners'. ATF and DEA agents will hunt them down, arrest and jail them.

You lefties have no one to blame but yourselves, you pushed for government involvement (legalization), now you have it.

riverside's picture
riverside 7 years 32 weeks ago

I made a mistake. It does not post a reply below the person's comment.

riverside's picture
riverside 7 years 32 weeks ago

I made a mistake you can't post a reply directly below the person's comment.

riverside's picture
riverside 7 years 32 weeks ago

ANYONE who is not on board with the Democrats supporting small business is talking though both sides of their mouth at the same time. Republicans are just plain greedy A money worshiping religion.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 32 weeks ago
Quote Kend:Sorry mark. Never touch the stuff. That's why I could care less how it's sold.

Kend ~ News flash... If you "could care less" that means you do care--at least just a little. Thanks for caring!

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 32 weeks ago
Quote Ou812: Marijuana growers will be viewed as 'moonshiners'. ATF and DEA agents will hunt them down, arrest and jail them.

Ou812 ~ What planet do you live on? Seriously? We had MAXIMUM "government involvement" when the plant was illegal. What do YOU call an average spending of $40 Billion every year to stop someone from burning a plant?* What do YOU call the largest prison population in the history of humanity? I call that MAXIMUM GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT!

Now the only thing we want government to do is to regulate sales and tax them. We do not want them to determine who sells what. That is how we got the black market in the first place. If the government is really good at doing anything--especially when run by the right wing, it's to protect the viability of the black market. Just another example of crooks protecting crooks and oppressing the honest hard working citizens and using them as scapegoats. What ever happened to the 'level playing field' and the 'power of the free market;' or, is all that rhetoric just BS; and, only applies to rich and powerful corporations--screw everybody else?

* http://www.drugsense.org/cms/wodclock

Ou812's picture
Ou812 7 years 32 weeks ago

Denmark,

I forgot to mention, along with the DEA and ATF, bring in the IRS to catch tax evaders as well. The figures you mentioned are for all illegal substances, not just Marijuana. If you think legalization is better, go for it. But with legalization comes regulation, and all the rhetoric in the world won't change that. Sorry.

Johnnie Dorman's picture
Johnnie Dorman 7 years 32 weeks ago

You misspelled the word, "offense." Don't you have spell check in your computer system? Being that you can't spell, I'd wonder about your thinking concerning Marijuana as well. No offense, sir.

Johnnie Dorman's picture
Johnnie Dorman 7 years 32 weeks ago

They never wanted a "level playing field." As usual, they are only interested in hogging all the American pie, which is why Marijuana was made illegal in the first place. They can't monopolize Marijuana, which is another reason they want it illegal. Pigs, pigs, pigs, all of them.

ac4zi's picture
ac4zi 7 years 32 weeks ago

Dear Thom,

The thing you have to remember is that Fox News is not really a news organization, but a religion, and the Reverend Bill O’Reilly, is not really a news man but a minister. Think about it; as a religion there doesn’t have to be any proof or facts on what they say is true, it’s all just a matter of faith. How else would you explain how people be taken by stories that are so preposterous, other than that these people are stupid and or ignorant of the facts. Princeton University did a study that found that people who exclusively watched Fox church, knew less on what was going on in the world than people that watched NO news at all. The reason being, these people are so misinformed.

I read the book “The Conservative Mind” in an effort to see where these people are coming from. According to this book, conservatives believe in “traditional values” or should I say, fundamentalist Christian values such as slavery, women not having the right to vote, antiabortion, marriage only between a man and a woman, small government and libertarianism, which I guess means----no Social Security, no Medicare, no government hospitals, roads, bridges, parks, libraries, or schools. It seems that the military is ok and it is better to spend our nations treasure on war then the public welfare. Should I also mention that welfare cheats and immigrants are biggies with them along with any progressive thinking.

Mark J. Saulys's picture
Mark J. Saulys 7 years 32 weeks ago

ac4zi, they are what in social psychology is called the "Authoritarian Personality", i.e., they're suck asses looking for a powerful father figure to suck up to and completely obey.

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 7 years 32 weeks ago

I HAVE THE ANSWER to Thom's initial question, which the rest of you seem to have forgotten whilst bickering among yourselves.

I was a voracious reader of Comic Books as a young'n. Until I was 9 years old, my grandparents lived in the same apartment building as my folks & I, and they had a luncheonette, and sold comics, and always brought me home the latest ones. I was ESPECIALLY fond of Superman, and THAT'S how I know what world the Conservatives live in.

It's called the BIZARRO world, where everything is the opposite of the REAL world. That's where the sun rises at night, and sets in the morning, where men bite dogs, and where tax cuts create jobs. NOWHERE ELSE!

Stella Jane's picture
Stella Jane 7 years 32 weeks ago

Please observe that personal opinions about use or non-use are of no importance.

What matters is that there are people who use this for healing themselves and they have a right to use the KIND of food / medicine/plants that help them heal. Green immature marijuana plants with no THC are used as medicine for seizures, and TOPICALS actually fix /heal /sooth the body while the mind appreciates that feeling.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

So Kend doesn’t touch the stuff! Maybe you should, Kend; judging from your posts, you could use something to clear the cobwebs out of your head.

Reply to #11: OU812, I really couldn’t care less whether you like smoking pot or not. But you need to stop eating all that nitrate-polluted meat because it is rotting your brain.

The hell marijuana subculture is “behind” me! It’s still very much alive, as it has been everywhere I’ve lived since the sixties. Only someone as out-of-touch as you obviously are would make such an unfounded claim. What a load of crap.

Sorry; the parallel you attempt to draw with alcohol doesn’t cut it. Alcohol requires way more processing than pot. You don’t yank the grapes off the vine and stick ‘em in a wine glass, silly! That’s a lame, stupid argument. And alcohol should be strictly regulated because it’s a helluva lot more dangerous than pot, something you and Kend both conveniently ignore. This is an issue of monopoly, not public health and safety. Some people are determined to make big bucks off this weed and it ain’t for our benefit, so screw ‘em. It’s not like alcohol or tobacco; it doesn’t have all the health risks associated with those things; there isn’t one health issue I’ve heard or read about that can be linked to pot use, beyond the inevitability of a few individuals who seem allergic to it (a tiny minority). The Transportation Safety Administration can't even prove it has a negative effect on drivers! So you can just kiss my ass with that bullshit, lady. And fuck the DEA. They’re just a bunch of thugs.

There is only ONE legitimate reason to regulate the vices people enjoy, and that's if those vices generate a cost to society. Both alcohol and tobacco cause hundreds of thousands of deaths each year, unlike marijuana; not to mention all the healthcare costs associated with alcohol & tobacco! Even in its natural, unprocessed form, tobacco is poisonous. The poor Mexican children who have to harvest that crap become deathly ill just picking it, because of all the toxins absorbed through their skin. Anyone who says tobacco is comparable to marijuana is an idiot.

I will continue buying my stash from people I like and trust, NOT from the oligarchs. I’d sooner quit this vice than hand my money over to those greedheads.

I can live with a reasonable amount of regulation. But what Republicans in Washington are pushing goes well beyond reasonable. And what the Democrats want is barely acceptable, dictating who can grow and how much, and “Don’t you sell it or else!” Fuck them too. Their rules are unenforcable. How are they gonna keep track of everyone who grows it and how much they’re sharing or selling?! Yeah good luck with that.

OU812 smugly assumes that I’m bummed out over something we liberals should be “blaming” ourselves for. Hardly. This has ZERO impact on my life, lady. I need only continue doing the same old thing I’ve been doing for decades: buying it from my friends, and friends of my friends, smoking it in the privacy of my home and the homes of my fellow pot connoisseurs. No skin off my ass. Sorry to disappoint.

What pleases me about these developments is that for the first time in nearly a half century of pot use, I’ll no longer have to worry so much about getting busted for “possession”. And THAT is something to celebrate! - AIW

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

Reply to #23: Stella Jane, I beg to differ. I will never deny the importance of people with horrendous medical issues, having medicine that is non-toxic and that brings them some relief. But that is a long way from being the ONLY issue of consequence regarding the use of cannabis, unless you don’t care about living in a free society as opposed to a fascist police state.

grandpa_Dave's picture
grandpa_Dave 7 years 32 weeks ago

Regulation & control are only one aspect of marijuana in modern America. I live in Colorado where medical marijuana has been legal a few years, and recreational marijuana is now legal too. There are some problems: (1) all pot business has to be cash because banks & credit cards involve federal jurisdiction, but pot is federally illegal; (2) modern pot has been refined to increase the hallucinogenic THC content; it is much more potent than the wild ditch weed version; (3) usage is increasing in high school age kids (50% have tried it); that can affect academic performance, and it can lead to trying stronger (illegal) drugs; (4) there is evidence that habitual pot use is connected to psychoses and dysfunctional behavior in some people, which can result in tragic consequences -- for example when pot users are parents of children; (5) pot sales have heavy state taxes, which generates ~$100M extra revenue per year; the tax covers the cost of regulating it and provides justification for legalizing pot; (6) pot use can affect judgement & response times, hence it adds risk for driving vehicles; the state is adding blood THC as a DUI metric.
I suspect that people were already aware of these issues (and more). imho, the issues that can create victims (such as children and non-users) cry out for control. Hence, one of the challenges of making marijuana legal is figuring out how to address these attending factors. I suspect that nobody wants the responsibility or liability for unintended consequences. The pot story is not much different from that of alcohol.

Activist Annie's picture
Activist Annie 7 years 32 weeks ago

So-called "conservatives" live in a world of constant fear. They live in a fantasy world of their own creation. In their artificial quest for "purity" they leave no stone unturned, They deem everyone else as tainted and with "imperfections" as compared to their "pure" selves, Thus the "other" has no right be it civil, natural, God-given or even constitutional, and has no right to exist. This minority lives in a stringent and narrow world, full of themselves. Sadly, conservatives, rather authoritarians, live in a world of hate! Forgive me for being so blunt, but this is so sad to me.

What this world needs is love, pure, unadulterated love.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 32 weeks ago

Here's a great video of interviews with Texas protesters that demonstrates the mind numbing effect FOX News has had on that population. To call it stunning, is to put it lightly.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 32 weeks ago
Quote Aliceinwonderland:Beyond that, the many uses of industrial hemp would comprise a long, long list. The alternatives it offers would solve many of our environmental problems. This is a multi-faced issue with far-reaching implications. - AIW

Aliceinwonderland ~ Please allow me to provide that "long, long list."

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

Thanks Marc!

Reply to #26: Grandpa Dave, pot is NOT a hallucinogen. I’ve been smoking the stuff for nearly fifty years and not once have I hallucinated under the influence. I don’t know where you get your “facts” but it seems apparent you haven’t smoked the stuff yourself, or you would know better than to post bullshit like this.

Ah, and that old “kids” argument. If teenagers want to smoke the weed, they’re gonna get it whether it’s legal or not. Since it remains illegal for underage kids to buy the stuff, it’s no more available to them now than it was before pot was legalized.

Habitual pot use connected to psychosis?! Gee that’s news to me. I’ve known literally thousands of potheads in my lifetime and a majority of these people have lived functional, responsible lives. Even if that statement were true (which I doubt), it would pertain to a tiny minority of users, which is no reason to make it illegal for everyone. Far as parents of children are concerned, pl-EEEEEEZE! Haven’t we heard enough about children, in this context?!!! This has nothing to do with children. I’ve known lots of people who grew up with alcoholic parents and were horrifically abused by those parents, yet I don’t hear anyone hollering to bring back alcohol prohibition.

Pot sales have heavy state taxes? So what.

The argument about drivers impaired by pot is completely bogus. I will post separately on that issue. And by the way, THC metabolites remain in one’s system for roughly a month, so its presence in blood or urine is no indication of “impairment”.

Just the same old crap I’ve been hearing for decades. Ho-hum. - AIW

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

The following was originally posted by DdC. I don't think he would mind me recycling it here. After all, facts are facts! This is for all you people who get so self righteous about pot smokers who drive stoned:

MARIJUANA AND DRIVING

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said a 20-month survey of drivers in 2013 and 2014 found that while drinking dramatically raises the chance of a crash, there was no evidence that marijuana use is statistically significant in boosting wreck rates.

No evidence marijuana leads to higher crash risk

In fact, the NHTSA didn’t seem to be too happy about reporting their own study’s results. Check out the tortured language in their release (released on a Friday afternoon naturally): Here’s the study.

Drivers stoned on marijuana test their driving skills

So back to our drivers, and the issue many mothers are now concerned about: children having a new intoxicant to afflict their driving skills. How did the ‘impaired’ volunteers actually do? Well at a certain point, the substance had an undeniable effect on their ability to navigate a vehicle sensibly. But they all maintained surprising control, even at incredibly excessive levels of marijuana consumption. Moreover, unlike drunk drivers, they were very much aware of their state and agreed they were not on top of their game. Without over-indulging, it seems people’s critical thinking can be trusted more with a few hits than a couple of drinks.

Cannabis use and Driving

"A single glass of wine will impair your driving more than smoking a joint. And under certain test conditions, the complex way alcohol and cannabis combine to affect driving behaviour suggests that someone who has taken both may drive less recklessly than a person who is simply drunk".
~ New Scientist March 2002 Crancer Study, Washington Department of Motor Vehicles
"Simulated driving scores for subjects experiencing a normal social "high" and the same subjects under control conditions are not significantly different. However, there are significantly more errors for alcohol intoxicated than for control subjects"

What if Police Say They Smell Marijuana?

Know your rights when dealing with police. Flex Your Rights Associate Director Scott Morgan discusses your legal rights in the event that police claim to smell marijuana.

Drug mishandling may have tainted 40,000 cases

"As someone who spent 35 years wearing a police uniform, I've come to believe that hundreds of thousands of law-enforcement officers commit felony perjury every year testifying about drug arrests."
- Joseph McNamara, former San Jose Chief of Police

NIDA and drugged driving

As usual, the only “facts” they’re interested in are those that oppose drug use in any way, and even then they’re not really concerned about whether they are actually facts.

So Grandpa Dave, put THAT in your pipe an' smoke it! - AIW

Mark J. Saulys's picture
Mark J. Saulys 7 years 32 weeks ago

OU812, you can brew your own beer, ferment your own juice and distill your own liquor, you just can't sell it without a liscence. Moonshine is illegal only in dry counties - that are so numerous in Appalachia.

Regulation is a good thing if it's not abused for political and revenue purposes (which only happens now because of Grover Nordquist cutting off the states and therefore the states then cutting off the counties and municipalities of funding, go back to taxing Wall Street, billionaires and big business and it won't happen).

Mark J. Saulys's picture
Mark J. Saulys 7 years 32 weeks ago

OU812, it's the Repuiblican bill that's gonna keep it illegal to keep a plant in your back yard. It's like they're trying in Washington, they gotta keep everything in control of the oligarchs.

Ou812's picture
Ou812 7 years 32 weeks ago

Let me repeat. legal Marijuana will be regulated and taxed, and all the rhetoric in the world won't change that fact.

Ou812's picture
Ou812 7 years 32 weeks ago

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

And I repeat, no skin off my ass.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

And I repeat, no skin off my ass.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 32 weeks ago

Ou812 ~ You sound like a broken record. Why don't you take your little needle and stick it where it'll do some good?

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

Great idea, Marc! Except that her idea of "good" is light years from ours.

Reply to post #33: Mark, I hate to say it but I agree with your prediction. And if it proves accurate, this guarantees we’ll still have black market pot. We haven’t come this far only to have the pot buiz hijacked by a bunch of authoritarian, monopolistic fascist pigs.

Ou812's picture
Ou812 7 years 32 weeks ago

It's becoming too easy to hit you WUL's stupid button:). When the stupid button is touched, you attack the messenger, call us names and start screaming profanties. I win again.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 32 weeks ago

Win what, exactly? The Tea Tard award?

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"Thom is a national treasure. Read him, embrace him, learn from him, and follow him as we all work for social change."
Robert Greenwald, political activist and founder and president of Brave New Films
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"If you wonder why and when giant corporations got the power to reign supreme over us, here’s the story."
Jim Hightower, national radio commentator and author of Swim Against the Current
"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places