Global warming is about to speed up...

Last year was the hottest year ever recorded, and there's a good chance that this year will be even hotter. In fact, new research from the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory says that the rate of human-caused global warming is going to soar in the next decade.

According to the study, by 2020, the average global temperatures will increase faster than any time in the last 1,000 years. In other words, we don't only have to worry that our planet is getting hotter, we have to worry about how fast those temperatures are going to climb.

The best-case scenario that this laboratory modeled shows average temperatures rising by one degree Celsius every four decades, and some areas – like the Arctic – could warm two times faster.

In what scientists call the “do-little” model – meaning that we do little to address climate change – the temperatures rise even faster. That scenario shows global temperatures rising one degree Fahrenheit per decade, and that warming goes on for decades.

Joe Romm over at the Think Progress Blog explained that that rate of warming “becomes so fast that is is likely to be beyond adaptation for most species – and for humans in many parts of the world.”

Several recent studies suggest that temperatures have been rising more slowly over the past decade – which is what Republicans point to when they claim that there's been a “hiatus” in global warming – but, the experts say that period is just about over. They expect our planet to heat up more quickly, and higher temperatures mean more storms, more droughts, and more human suffering.

We better get serious about climate change, and we better do it fast, or we may not have a chance to save our species. We only have on planet to call home, so let's make sure that we can survive here.

Comments

Willie W's picture
Willie W 7 years 46 weeks ago

Oh come on Thom! Global Warming? Republicans were making snow balls outside in Washington DC and showing them off on national TV to debunk this silly theory. Science has no business in the political arena. Show and tell rules!

DrRichard 7 years 46 weeks ago

I'm not saying we won't survive this century, but it's going to be a rough one. Ocean acidification is what really scares me, plus the possibility of unexpected feedback loops (warming leading to sudden massive releases of methane). What's more likely in the short run are a lot of conflicts and economic dislocations as more people chase fewer resources. More diseases too. Too bad Americans by and large, and Congress in particular, will blow all this off or just blame things on "bad luck" until very late in the game.

Lloyd Lutterman's picture
Lloyd Lutterman 7 years 46 weeks ago

Both the molten core cooling and surface warming are apparently both happening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wxI5pCRvL0

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 46 weeks ago

That's a mighty steep price to pay for the "privilege" of burning fossil fuel, eating crap from corporate farms and dumping our toxic waste without thought or care. Well I ain't religious, but like the Bible says, you reap what you sow. And as the Hindus have noted, we've karmic debts to pay; what goes around comes around.

What scares me most, reading Thom's introductory post, is a sense of powerlessness. So many of those whose decisions have the most impact on our climate, along with everything else that matters in our lives, are simply not up to the task. The proportion of Congressional seats occupied by soulless psychopaths keeps growing each election cycle, thanks to "Citizens United". These people care nothing about us. In the relentless pursuit of power & profits, they're determined to keep right on abusing our sacred planet, treating it like a sewer as we head towards the proverbial cliff. It seems nothing less than the most drastic measures can turn any of this around. I'm not quite sure what those measures even are. It's overwhelming.

PFNELKAK 7 years 46 weeks ago

Thom---
Remember us, up here in the 50th? anchorage area avg. snowfall 80". this year- a skiff, no snow, too warm, rain. artic ocean ice pack continues to drop. Since the 80's, 2010-14 lowest on record. State of Ak. is gearing up for new shipping lane through the Artic ocean above Canada. Security, new ports for U.S.C.G., oil ports for Prudhoe Bay. permafrost melting in interior, making soup out of some developed areas. Polar bears starving because of lack of ice to hunt off of. Not warming? You won't here most info. from newscasts.

humanitys team's picture
humanitys team 7 years 46 weeks ago

The world needs new leaders .We have to keep the temperature at a certain range so life can evolve and thrive .

We also need to take resonsibility for the speciesystem it's about having reverence for nature and working with her .

I see this as a crirical time in our evolution ,we are going through what could be described as a birthing process .Humans are a very young species with alot of growing up to do .

I believe when we see ourselves as one family then everything will change for Humanity ! Seperation conciousness creates a pathology of survival of the fittest and individualism short termism creating no collective responsibility for our future .

The human race needs to decide what's it trying to do as a species .

Kend's picture
Kend 7 years 46 weeks ago

This is scary stuff. But we don't have to panic yet. After reading the PNNL study It is clear that this is all speculation. They speculate global tempatures will go up point two percent over the next decade. The same chart shows that global tempatures have only gone up about point two degrees since 1975. The fact is governments are spending trillions on combating global warming. Cars get twice the gas milage. Most people world wide are very conscious of global warming. Over all we have reduced the use of fossil fuels so why are they expected to rise so drastically. I am so confused. Although that doesn't take much for me.

tottcatering's picture
tottcatering 7 years 46 weeks ago

I've sent Thom a personal message on the subject of Geo Engineering. On 1/15/2015 I saw jets flying over my city spraying something that was forming flat sheets of white cloud and by the end of the day the entire sky was white and blocking the sun. Since that day I take photos and video 24/7 of these jets spraying the sky and I literaly watch them change the weather by blocking the sun. Today is 3/14/2015. Please watch this video that I found that really puts everything in a nuts shell and will answer your question Kend.

My life has been forever changed since my eyes were opened simply because I looked up in the sky on Jan 15. I've learned they been spraying now for 20 years and worse for about the last 3 or 4 years, Please watch this video and find out what your not being told and what you are told is HUGH LIE and I have my photos to proove it. LOOK UP

mathboy's picture
mathboy 7 years 46 weeks ago

PFNELKAK, Alaska is the 49th state.

Kend, maybe you've mixed up your units, but "point two percent" of temperature is a full degree Fahrenheit (~300K * 1.8°F/1K * .002 = ~1.08°F). If it took 40 years (1975 - 2015) to go up the first 0.2°, and it will take only 10 years to go up the next 2% (= 1°F) or 0.2° (whichever you meant), there's reason to be concerned.

RFord's picture
RFord 7 years 46 weeks ago

The biggest obstacle to combatting global warming is greed, slowness and hardheadedness. With global warming happening at a slow rate it's not causing panic. If the oceans were rising six inches every year you would see a worldwide scramble to get off of fossil fuels asap. Many people are just hardheaded and are not going to believe the world is warming until the Florida keys are underwater. Even then there will be those that will say that it's not mankind's fault but god's will. Greed is causing denial of global warming. Politicians and the media are not willing to give up their profits from fossil fuels so they are not going to recognize global warming and will cause others to also deny global warming. Those in the fossil fuel business are going to keep promoting politicians who deny global warming to prevent the reduction of fossil fuel sales. As long as the majority of people recognize the truth about global warming we will make progress in combatting it.

humanitys team's picture
humanitys team 7 years 46 weeks ago

The fastest way to reduce your carbon footprint ....eat a vegan diet ....

Hey they won't teach you that school .

Thoms books teach you this stuff though !

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 46 weeks ago

When I tried a vegan diet, I became anemic and lost ten pounds I hadn't intended or needed to lose. No one particular diet works for everyone.

Kend's picture
Kend 7 years 46 weeks ago

Humanity that only works if you produce the food in your own garden or from a small producer who doesn't use machinery or chemicals. If you buy factory veggies you are kinda defeating the purpose. No meat. I would rather have screws drilled through my thumbs. I am sure Alice would be glad to hold the drill. Then again it would be nice to lose a few pounds.

chuckle8's picture
chuckle8 7 years 46 weeks ago

Kend -- Are you aware of anything in the human experience that is not speculation? If they were to speculate that my next airplane flight had a 10% chance of crashing I would go nowhere near it? The current speculation is less than 0.001% that my next flight will crash. Even with that low probability it slows down my wife from wanting to fly. With a 97% chance of global warming eliminating our species I would think one would be concerned.

I think Exxon-Mobil and Chevron spend more on advertising on TV, then the govt spends on combating global warming. They do not even advertise their products (Chevron does but Exxon-Mobil does not). I assume they spend all this money so discussions of global warming on the tube are far and few between.

I think the marketplace could easily solve this problem. A key incentive would be to tax gasoline (e.g. $4 a gallon) and provide a rebate based on miles driven. Remember DanMarc's saying "anything oil can do, hemp can do better". --c8

dialindicator's picture
dialindicator 7 years 45 weeks ago

I have heard Tom weigh in on the chemtrail conspiracy before and it would seem he is a denier. Like so many others he simply thinks these persistant sun blocking grids are contrails and who am I to say they are not. What I have seen is this; everytime a high pressure system is about to break in my location the medium to high altitude air traffic increases twenty fold; most of the planes appear to be military. The planes create "condensation trails" that persist for hours from horizon to horizon. The " condensation trails" merge until they block sunlight. Blocking sunlight for hours at a time modifies the weather!

So for me I just cant say for sure the government or anyone else is changing the weather with chemtrail. I can say that it appears some very strange "contrails" are purposely or accidentally changing the weather just the same.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 7 years 45 weeks ago

If the government required airliners to release chemicals into the air, it should certainly pay the airline companies enough to keep them from going into bankruptcy all the time, and nickel-and-diming their customers to death. I mean, where's government waste when you need it?

chuckle8's picture
chuckle8 7 years 45 weeks ago

dialindicator -- You might be witnessing scientific investigation. They might not be trying to change the weather, but rather testing the feasibility. It would be nice if CSPI would be measuring the effect for us. After all, blocking out the sun would certainly effect the food supply.

prdrtho's picture
prdrtho 7 years 45 weeks ago

Tom can you help with some information that I think I heard on your show some time ago about how Gorge Bush got a law or executive order which would help foreran immigrants coming into this country be able to start a small business and would be allowed to be exempt from having to pay sales tax on what they sell and I think they where exempt from having to pay this tax for up to 10 years is this correct or am I wrong on this? After searching on the web this is all I could find

Yes, there are many government grants available to immigrants specifically. Anywhere from specific buisiness startup loans that have to be repayed, to grants that don't have to be repayed to tax exemptions of up to 7 years.

One I've personally seen firsthand is where buisines's owned by immigrants get tax exempt for 7 years but still get to charge sales tax and keep it. After 7 years the exemption goes away however the way around is transferring ownership to a family member who recently came over in the last 5 years and they can continue the exemption for another 7 years. Back in the early 90's was very popular with Indian's who immigrated to the US but today there are far more programs available not available to citizens.

dialindicator's picture
dialindicator 7 years 45 weeks ago

chuckle8-- Did you view tottcaterings posted link on the subject of geoengineering?

chuckle8's picture
chuckle8 7 years 45 weeks ago

dialindicator -- Based on your suggestion, I started watching the geoengineering video. When he started blaming global warming on geoengineering I quit.

dialindicator's picture
dialindicator 7 years 45 weeks ago

chuckle8- I have to confess I did not watch that entire geoengineering video; I do know that web site does not blame climate change on geoengineering. It does suggest that geoengineering is being used to modifiy climate change and to modify public perception of climate change.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce
"In Cracking the Code, Thom Hartmann, America’s most popular, informed, and articulate progressive talk show host and political analyst, tells us what makes humans vulnerable to unscrupulous propagandists and what we can do about it. It is essential reading for all Americans who are fed up with right-wing extremists manipulating our minds and politics to promote agendas contrary to our core values and interests."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community and When Corporations Rule the World and board chair of YES! magazine