The Corporate Conquest of America

While corporations can live forever, exist in several different places at the same time, change their identities at will, and even chop off parts of themselves or sprout new parts, the chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, according to its reporter, had said that they are "persons" under the Constitution, with constitutional rights and protections as accorded to human beings. Once given this key, corporations began to assert the powers that came with their newfound rights.

First Amendment. Claiming the First Amendment right of all "persons" to free speech, corporate lawsuits against the government successfully struck down laws that prevented corporations from lobbying or giving money to politicians and political candidates.

Fourth Amendment. Earlier laws had said that a corporation had to open all its records and facilities to our governments as a condition of being chartered. But now, claiming the Fourth Amendment right of privacy, corporate lawsuits successfully struck down such laws. In later years they also sued to block Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) laws allowing for surprise safety inspections of the workplace and stopped Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) inspections of chemical factories.

Fourteenth Amendment: Claiming Fourteenth Amendment protection against discrimination (granting persons equal protection), the J. C. Penney chain store successfully sued the state of Florida, ending a law designed to help small, local business by charging chain stores a higher business license fee than that for locally owned stores.

Women Ask, "Can I Be a 'Person,' Too?"

Interestingly, during the era of the Santa Clara decision granting corporations the full protections of persons under the Constitution, two other groups also brought cases to the Supreme Court, asking for similar protections. The first group was women. This was a movement with a fascinating history, its roots in the American Revolution itself.

In March 1776 thirty-two-year-old Abigail Adams sat at her writing table in her home in Braintree, Massachusetts, a small town a few hours' ride south of Boston. The war between the American colonists and their opponents - the governors and the soldiers of the East India Company and its British protectors - had been going on for about a year. A small group of the colonists gathered in Philadelphia to edit Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence for the new nation they were certain was about to be born, and Abigail's husband, John Adams, was among the men editing that document.

Abigail had a specific concern. With pen in hand, she carefully considered her words. Assuring her husband of her love and concern for his well-being, she then shifted to the topic of the documents being drafted, asking John to be sure to "remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than [were] your ancestors."

Abigail knew that the men drafting the Declaration and other documents leading to a new republic would explicitly define and extol the rights of men, but not of women, and she and several other well-bred women were lobbying for the Constitution to refer instead to persons, people, humans, or "men and women." Her words are well-preserved, and her husband later became president of the United States, so her story is better known than those of most of her peers.

By late April, Abigail had received a response from John, but it wasn't what she was hoping for. "Depend upon it," the future president wrote to his wife, "[that] we know better than to repeal our Masculine systems."

Furious, Abigail wrote back to her husband.

Read more here.

Comments

Hephaestus's picture
Hephaestus 36 weeks 21 hours ago

And, the better part of humanity fights on to this day

Misogynist needs to know this and realize they have a mother

"What, sir, would the people of the earth be without woman? They would be scarce, sir, almighty scarce" Mark Twain

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_128401What, sir, would the people of the earth be without woman? They would be scarce, sir, almighty scarce. Mark Twain
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_128401

HotCoffee's picture
HotCoffee 36 weeks 18 hours ago

As a woman I have run into very few misogynists. Perhaps it's being hyperventilated like most things today. Or perhaps because I don't run in those circles, maybe because I won't compromise myself for gain...or maybe because I don't choose to be a victim. I have worked in male dominated workplaces where a sexist man or two has entered the premises and always found myself guarded per se by other men watching over me.

This has been the case in more than one place I have worked.

Just blessed with good men that respected me I guess.

It's true some women have truly been victims ...and so have some men.

However Mark Twain is truly a treasure....that I hear many on the left are trying to ban as racisist and not pc.

geohorse's picture
geohorse 36 weeks 10 hours ago

The Santa Clarita Railroad decision in the 1800's was the result of a clerical error in the write up. Apparently these things cannot be corrected as my husband was the victim of one by a certifyably mentally challenged person in the past. It was a small civil incident by really stuck in our craw.

I have the reference somewhere in my files but don't have time to look it up. Am sure you know about it--had to do with "personhood".

jefflisse's picture
jefflisse 36 weeks 8 hours ago

The vast majority of the "movers and shakers"..
The corporate "titans"...
The "billionaires"..
The ones that wield power and control over others!

Are MEN!!

It was that way 2000 years ago...
It was that way 200 years ago...
And it's still (unfortunately) that way today!!

And these greedy power mongers..
[Who are the owners of most of these "corporate persons."]
Have their "women" by their sides...
Or worse yet, a few steps behind them!
It really is "fucked up"!!!

jefflisse's picture
jefflisse 36 weeks 8 hours ago

I guess.. mama should have let her baby grow up to be a cowboy?!!

gumball's picture
gumball 36 weeks 6 hours ago

False. Corporations are barred from giving money to political candidates.

Hephaestus's picture
Hephaestus 35 weeks 6 days ago

#6 - But the wacko decision by (so called) supreme court ruled in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission 2010 that corporations are people

You can't make this stuff up can you?

Sorry! But I believe the real matter of concern here is marginalisation of women kind (singular)

Hephaestus's picture
Hephaestus 35 weeks 6 days ago

#2 - Agree about the hyper stuff currently all over the place

Just awaiting the next fad... me!

Happy you have no personal experience of mysogeny in the form of groping etc

The main body of your narrative is very interesting since I have known girls to respond to unwanted advance from males with a well aimed knee or hand or verbal shaming

Usually stops 'em dead

I'd like to believe such becomes a life changing experience for the man

will charles's picture
will charles 34 weeks 1 day ago

Corporations allow crimes to be committed under the guise of business when those same actions will land an individual in prison. They are designed by the elite and powerful to maintain the status quo. Make the rich richer and the poor to stay poor while the middle class is distracted by the modern gladiator games oblivious to their own ignorance.

Will Charles,

George Robertson's picture
George Robertson 28 weeks 6 hours ago

The prime corporate edict to maximize the return on stockholders investment is not part of a list of corporate commandments it is the one and only corporate commandment. Corporations may also have some socially responsible or politically valuable policies but not any that might ever actually compromise their compliance with the prime edict.

The fact that the prime edict uses the word maximize is a very powerful statement. It requires that everything in the corporate mission must align to deliver the largest possible profit return to the stockholders. Were the word maximize replaced with word that required a competitive return, there might be some room for social responsibility, but the word in the prime edict is maximize. That makes every corporate person into a psychopath, a voracious=maniac seeking an unlimited profit goal that can never be satisfied.

Awarding "personhood" that parralells the personhood of human beings, who mostly have a conscience and limited appetites, to corporations that have neither, was down right nuts.

Vitalis's picture
Vitalis 21 weeks 21 hours ago

for me, the main body of your narrative is very interesting.
- JSON formatter -

Jeff Stephan 20 weeks 3 days ago

"NO LNG PIPELINE !!" www.NOLNGEXPORTS.ORG

JOIN the PROTESTS in OREGON !!!

SIGN UP- SIGN ON JOIN the FIGHT !!!

STOP PETRO POLLUTION !!!

MEGA GAS Corperations are

Seizing Property for PROFIT !!

CLEAR CUTTING Old Forests !!

ENDANGERING MANY RIVERS !!!!

COMMITING Oregon and America to Perpetuating Petro Pollution for Decades to come.

JOIN the FIGHT & STOP the PETRO POLLUTION !!!

www.NOLNGEXPORTS>ORG

Marcus V's picture
Marcus V 19 weeks 5 hours ago

Inspired by the divine right of money, a billionaire clique has purchased the US government. How much in dollars, in the percentage of their wealth, did it cost the new Croesus' to purchase a working government?

Clayton207's picture
Clayton207 17 weeks 23 hours ago

People take the first ammendment to far, Certain groups that I won't name here burn their cities down in "protest" and call it free speach. When is there going to be a line drawn between free speach and being a criminal?

KevinG's picture
KevinG 16 weeks 2 days ago

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but I believe women definatelty deserve more credit, especially in the workplace. Good read for the history breakdown.

Kevin, https://www.prodigyroofingga.com/

blindking's picture
blindking 15 weeks 5 days ago

The idea of what is and what isnt a corporation monopoly is getting so grey in modern american commerce. Take google for instance, they basically own over ninety percent of search information and ad control but claim they are actually a tech company that is working on things like self driving cars and home assistants... while really they just own all of the largest more profitable real estate in the air, the internet. Something a small blinds contractor has to pay great attention to.

Jeff at https://blindkingco.com/

NathanLuise's picture
NathanLuise 15 weeks 2 days ago

It is pretty hard question as for me

finklerjeff's picture
finklerjeff 14 weeks 2 days ago

It is definitely an interesting country we live in!

maxatisd's picture
maxatisd 13 weeks 1 day ago

Here is my take on Trump! Of course, there are two types of Trump supporters: those that benefit from his BS and those that hurt by it. This is for those hurt!

==============================

How to talk to a Trump Supporter!

I get that you're pissed off and I understand, really I do and I'm pissed off too.
But please consider this: Trump is the rodeo clown and he is very good at getting your attention. He pulls your eyes toward him all the time, doesn't he! He's loud, garish, outrageous, and he pisses allot of people off and I can see the attraction! But you, my friend are the bull! And the people pulling the belt on your balls is not the immigrants! They don't have the clout to keep you from making a decent living do they!

No, the guys pulling that belt tight are the corporations! In 1965, the average CEO pay compared to worker pay was about 20 times higher. So what is it today? How about 271 times higher! While you were looking at the rodeo clown, they were taking your money and you didn't notice!

Please consider this for a moment. So while productivity went up by 75%, wages went up by less than 10% (from 1973 to 2013)! This is not your fault or the fault of the immigrants or anyone else! Who has the power to keep you and your family barely scraping by? Think about the rodeo clown! His job is to distract the bull from the rider and keep the rider safe. The Rodeo Clown is doing a great job! So tell me, why does the bull keep falling for the same old game?

kripsychicken's picture
kripsychicken 12 weeks 2 days ago

What a well-written article.

bbq restaurant in Norcross, GA

treeservicejeffersoncounty's picture
treeservicejeff... 11 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. I don't agree with everything you said, but that is what makes America great. We can share our thoughts with others and freely challenge and learn from one another.

Frank - http://www.treeservice-jeffersoncounty.com

Christine Meany's picture
Christine Meany 11 weeks 1 day ago

America ... A country of corporations from limitless possibilities! Good article. I like the nose)

Christine Meany's picture
Christine Meany 11 weeks 1 day ago

ChristyLitvak123's picture
ChristyLitvak123 11 weeks 1 day ago

You tell me to speak out. Well, here I am with a story . Please hear me!!!!!! My life has been damaged to protect a rich boy! Please, hear me!!! The courts are destroying the 2nd Amendment rights thru their liberal issuance of the restraining orders without due process, and their perversion of the Hearsay Rule. My story begins in the middle of the trial to make Sam’s temporary restraining order, permanent. My story is informative and entertaining. Please, help!. https://2ndamendment1.wixsite.com/2ndamendment Like us on face book @ https://www.facebook.com/christy.litvak.9?lst=100028152765940%3A100028152765940%3A1535518805

Jurritvlag's picture
Jurritvlag 11 weeks 12 hours ago
Billerica Tow's picture
Billerica Tow 10 weeks 6 days ago

As a small business owner, I may not agree with everything written. I do strongly believe we all have the right to a different opinion. The beauty of that is that if we have patience with others of a different opinion and have an honest dialog then we all learn something and can come to great compromises that can benefit all.

The beauty of America is that we have free speech and rights that many other countries don't have. I started a small Billerica MA Towing Company in a small community with one truck, now we're up to 5 and employ 15 people. Some part-time but most full-time.

Many of the countries that my family has traveled to people are not able to start businesses as easily as we can here.

Yes. America is not perfect but it's better than many other places in the world where people don't have the opportunities that we have here.

Thanks for writing your article and your point of view. I like talking with people of different views as I find that I learn a lot.

Again Thanks,

Looking forward to more of your articles.

GaryMitchl's picture
GaryMitchl 10 weeks 6 days ago

Hi,

I don't agree with everything that Trump has done, however I will say that the lowering of the corporate income tax has been good for me, my partners and our employees.

As small business owners we believes in people. Without good people to work for any type of business, the business doesn't survive. So as an owner of various service type busineeses that rely heavily on trades people from HVAC Repair, Roofing Contractors and Tree Service we've been able to provide better insurance for our emplyees and give them all a raise with the money we've saved in taxes.

This has been great for us as many of our employees have young families with children and we believe that the more you're able to give the more you get in return. Always deliver more than our customers expect and our employees get more in return. We all win with this type of philosophy.

Again, I may not agree with everything Trump has done but we'll use whatever is good for us and move on. We're just glad that we can finally help the people that are responsible for our businesses success. I've been fortunate enough to have made a few dollars, noticed some talented people in other industries and help them become successful business owners along with me as their partner.

Thanks, Gary

Coalage3 10 weeks 1 day ago

Billerica Tow - yes we enjoy free speech rights in America. At least for now, But be wary and vigilant because the fascist democratic party would like to take those rights away from you, especially if you are a conservative. Just like the Borg, you will assimilate, or be destroyed. Your free speech rights will stop because you might hurt somebody's feelings, don't you know?

TomSheehan's picture
TomSheehan 9 weeks 9 hours ago

@RyanActon - I visited that little historic house in Braintree Massachusetts as well, birthplace of John Quincy Adams. Keeping america's history alive through things like sharing what Abigail Adams wrote are important. And local businesses like Tree Service Haverhill work hard to get their part of the American dream to become reality.

RyanActon's picture
RyanActon 9 weeks 9 hours ago

Abigail Adams was a real pioneer in her day for women's rights! I've driven by that house many times in Braintree.. So much history!

I run a business with garage building contractors nh and as one of the many small business owners in America, I like to think that just as I am required to uphold the laws this country has set in place, so should big corporations be held to uphold laws and not be above them.

JohnyRip's picture
JohnyRip 8 weeks 1 day ago

Very interesting story, keep posting more, thanks

routerlogin

kripsychicken's picture
kripsychicken 7 weeks 3 days ago

Great post. I like this a lot!

carpet cleaning

deck building

fortwayne1's picture
fortwayne1 6 weeks 5 days ago

Great job on this post. Very informative and informational. Thanks for putting this together.

Ken - Wrecker Service Website

kigiinxz's picture
kigiinxz 5 weeks 1 day ago

Interesting post, but corporate America - for all its greed - makes this country go.

Fred - Learn More Here

RyanActon's picture
RyanActon 4 weeks 1 hour ago

Still a great topic of debate.. great post once again and interesting read for a blue collar deck contractor that also does pool table repair on the side trying to make ends meet

Chris889's picture
Chris889 3 weeks 1 day ago

Now this conversation et a lot more interesting as I see those who comment here leave their thoughts about this new found rights of corporations. It is our advocate with our team in

towing Jacksonville NC for men and women to have equal rights.

alanadamson's picture
alanadamson 2 weeks 2 days ago

I agree with this statement quite a bit

Palo Alto audiologist

Sterling Heights wedding photography

Chris889's picture
Chris889 1 week 2 days ago

We all have the right for different opinion. Men and women deserved equal rights!

Chris of www.carpetcleanercolumbia.com

bernicestockstill's picture
bernicestockstill 6 days 12 hours ago

The world of politics is a very complex "mechanism." And it is incredibly difficult to understand this whole system. Thanks to such people who understand this, and helps us to understand all these difficulties.

Martin Kasepold's picture
Martin Kasepold 4 days 13 hours ago

Great article! And in my humble opinion is that yes, men and woman have equal rights. But lets not go overboard with this :)

Pusimeik

hapuu3's picture
hapuu3 23 hours 49 min ago

Why not tax corporations in a progressive manner? It would discourage monopolies, help the debt and be good for mom and pop.

mi ka's picture
mi ka 15 hours 9 min ago

I read a lot of articles on this subject, it's nice but it does not leave a deep impression on me as much as your sharing, great, I hope you have more good posts. And meaning like this to share to the reader. thank you.

color switch

The Thom Hartmann Program - Aug 30th 2018

It seems it's all racism, all the time w/the GOP...Neo-Nazi robocall hits Iowa on Molly Tibbett’s murder: “KILL THEM ALL. ” Richard Wolff drops by about the National Debt. Is it a disaster or an OK thing? Also - Trump & The National Enquirer - Is the Economy Here To Serve Us Or Are We Here to Serve the economy?