YES! - Every American should be guaranteed the right to vote.
98%
NO! - Our current system of voter registration works just fine.

Comments

stantak's picture
stantak 4 years 46 weeks ago

I am amazed that this is a question!

Isn't this what we fought for?

Yes, we have civil liberties, but we also have civil obligations and voting needs to be one of them.

Shame on the GOP for trying to disenfranchise millions of American!

Stan near Seattle, WA

stillpeeingonthebushes's picture
stillpeeingonth... 4 years 46 weeks ago

Agreed. Not just the "right", the responsibility.

Rboisvert7's picture
Rboisvert7 4 years 46 weeks ago

Voting rights shouldn't be left to individual states because political extremist will stop at nothing to win.

jkh6148's picture
jkh6148 4 years 46 weeks ago

the scotus says there is no constitutional right to vote

says money is speech -

isn't your vote speech?

to get a driver's license you need 3 forms of id

yet those 3 forms of id

aren't good enough to vote -

you need a driver's license

HalFonts's picture
HalFonts 4 years 46 weeks ago

Just got my Driver's License renewed -- and there was no Birth Certificate requirement -- the only proof of birth-citizenship. Grandfathered for decades, I don't think I've ever had to prove birth in the US for a licence to drive.

And I don't think anything in my Voting Registration History File is based on any "Birth in US" citizenship. Fact is, if randomly stopped on the street, I could NOT prove my US Citizenship -- not with any ID that I carry. I'd have to find, or apply and pay for copies of my birth-papers.

I helped a guy who'd lost all his ID. (Like many older citizens he was generally doing okay without it). It took us more than $50 and 3-months to recreate his paper-trail -- overcoming two Catch-22 bureaucratic blockages. IE: To get a State photo-ID you need "your Sosh" CARD, (an unsecure printed reminder); and to replace your Social Security reminder card ("Not for Identification"), you need a State Photo-ID. GOTCHA.

arky12's picture
arky12 4 years 46 weeks ago

Voter "registration" does work just fine, but when that "registered" voter goes to the polls, that's where the problems start, thanks to the Republican voter suppression laws requiring specific types of ID to vote, which in some states a gun license takes precedence of a passport as "legal". After $74,000,000 and 7 years of GW Bush trying to find voter fraud, they found 35 over that period of time, so it's not reasonable for states to spend millions of taxpayer dollars on these laws to prevent a problem that's almost virtually non existent. May well benefit us more to work on election frauds, which seem to be rampant.

PLSzymeczek's picture
PLSzymeczek 4 years 46 weeks ago

We need to move to a system like what exists in Canada. There is a database of every citizen over the age of 18. If you are in that database, you vote. No need to change registration every time you move within the country.

Craig Bush's picture
Craig Bush 4 years 46 weeks ago

I was denied the right to vote and to participate in our democracy. Because of a county election clerk's error and an ommision on a voter registration application I was told that technically I'm not here.

I have been registered to vote here in Santa Cruz Ca since mid 80's. Errors or ommissions should not be reason to deny us our rights. Time should not run out for us. Federal laws with a process of protection would solve these disparities.

I could not run for city council as planned. bushforsccouncil.99k.org But, I have to say that I am here. I have an EBT card. I buy food here. The govt. can track where and what I consume for food. They can't get a voter application right? Technically I'm not here?

We need a federal law to declare election day a federal paid holiday. So we can celebrate our democracy rather then stand in the rain after work to vote. We need weekend long voting. Remember the day when the republicans stole our election of Gore. Remember when chief justice Reinquist with his "Cheshire" cat smile spoke, "Did you really think we were going to allow you to count the votes"? This is an assault on our democracy. We must protect our rights to vote!

Login or register to post comments

Al Gore called for Single Payer - Where was the Media?

Al Gore - a former Senator, Vice President, and popular vote winner of the 2000 presidential election - said last week that it's time for single-payer healthcare.

So why did the media ignore him?

Latest Headlines

Who rejected United States-North Korea peace talks?

There were conflicting reports on Sunday regarding a recent proposal for United States-North Korea peace talks which was allegedly made before North Korea"s recent nuclear test

U.K. Pound Falls As Markets Get Brexit Jitters

Bloomberg said on Monday the pound had sustained its biggest fall against the dollar in 11 months

Clinton: I'll defend Israel but push for 'two-state solution

Hillary Clinton believes both Republican candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz "missed the mark" with their approach to the Israel-Palestinian Arab conflict
"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"In an age rife with media-inspired confusion and political cowardice, we yearn for a decent, caring, deeply human soul whose grasp of the problems confronting us provides a light by which we can make our way through the quagmire of lies, distortions, pandering, and hollow self-puffery that strips the American Dream of its promise. How lucky we are, then, to have access to the wit, wisdom, and willingness of Thom Hartmann, who shares with us here that very light, grown out of his own life experience."
Mike Farrell, actor, political activist, and author of Just Call Me Mike and Of Mule and Man