YES! People should be allowed to run their companies as they wish.
NO! Religion shouldn’t trump federal laws and science.
98%

Comments

dollymajig's picture
dollymajig 8 years 20 weeks ago

Emphatically, NO! We have a separation of church and state, and an employer should not be empowered to impose her/his beliefs on an employee.

PLSzymeczek's picture
PLSzymeczek 8 years 20 weeks ago

We can't allow the rights of a corporation to trump the rights of its employees.

samsnead 8 years 20 weeks ago

If health insurance would be universal, single payer coverage the pursuit of the religious loophole would be moot. The bible thumping "corporations are people too" zealots don't seem to have any ecclesiastical issues when the gubbamint gravy is being poured out on military contracts. When it comes to killing people there's no problem or guilt in lapping up the gravy. " Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." Gordon Gekko. We have too many of them!!

malaha64 8 years 20 weeks ago

VERY well said ..............samsnead

malaha64 8 years 20 weeks ago

IT DEPENDS on which matter /issue...........HEALTH care of employees is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

In anycase , it was WRONG to have EMPLOYER BASED Health Insurance.

America was EXCEPTIONALLY STUPID on this issue of Health Care.............the rest of the world is doing better on this issue.

Obama was too timid and because of what happened to Hillarycare........he decided to go ROMNEYCARE.

I WISH at least he came out and made a speech about how SINGLE PAYER might have been better SIMPLER and LESS COSTLY.

Can you imagine having to ENROLL every year ! what a pain in the neck!

I really hate STUPIDITY.

RaleighMom's picture
RaleighMom 8 years 20 weeks ago

So I want to start a new business. Why do I "incorporate"? BECAUSE I WANT TO AVOID PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IF MY COMPANY HURTS SOMEONE. I, as the owner of the Corporation, am incorporating to avoid legal liability for the damage I will be doing to the community where I do business. I don't want to be "responsible" if I leave a hole three feet wide and six feet deep in the parking lot and someone drives into it and destroys their pickup truck. I don't want to be responsible if someone gets poisoned by my products. I want to legally disappear -- my responsibilities as a member of the community just magically "go away" because now I can hurt people, damage communities and sell poisonous products all I want and the only thing that will happen is my mythical corporation will go bankrupt allowing me to open up a new corporation tomorrow.

So the owners of Hobby Lobby incorporated so they could avoid personal responsibility. They wanted to be able to tell hurt or injured people, "Sorry -- just can't help you." Yet they are putting themselves forward as such big Christians. Dissolve the corporation and let it be known that from this day forward they take full personal responsibility for any injuries, of any kind, that take place in their stores and parking lots.

If corporations can dictate this, we've lost democracy. Women have been in a state of stupor, of complete denial. I know women who are Republicans who absolutely do not believe that they could ever lose the right to birth control. Foolish, stupid women. But there are many others who are talking and they're getting really really mad.

When corporations get to control which health care procedures are covered, here's what's going to happen. They start with birth control because controlling the sexuality of young women is everybody's main obsession. But the next thing to go will be blood tests that diagnose cancer. Mammograms. Anything that would enable a young woman (or man) to say, "Hey, I have cancer and now I need a long course of really expensive medical treatments!" The corporations will come up with an excuse, and they will pay people to make these arguments on Faux News. But the bottom line for the corporation will be that their employees will work until the day they drop dead (at an early age) with no expensive health care treatments to pay for. This is where it's all heading and if the average American can't see it they're a fool.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"In an age rife with media-inspired confusion and political cowardice, we yearn for a decent, caring, deeply human soul whose grasp of the problems confronting us provides a light by which we can make our way through the quagmire of lies, distortions, pandering, and hollow self-puffery that strips the American Dream of its promise. How lucky we are, then, to have access to the wit, wisdom, and willingness of Thom Hartmann, who shares with us here that very light, grown out of his own life experience."
Mike Farrell, actor, political activist, and author of Just Call Me Mike and Of Mule and Man
"Thom Hartmann is a literary descendent of Ben Franklin and Tom Paine. His unflinching observations and deep passion inspire us to explore contemporary culture, politics, and economics; challenge us to face the facts of the societies we are creating; and empower us to demand a better world for our children and grandchildren."
John Perkins, author of the New York Times bestselling book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce