Recent comments

• Never vote Democrat again?   12 hours 33 min ago

I am glad to see that we can agree to disagree and do so with the full conviction of our beliefs but without resorting to the frustration and resentment that has marked this debate when others have taken it up. When we fall prey to the temptation to engage in finger pointing and accusations of infidelity to the type of ideas we all seek to espouse we wind up looking Republicanic.

Indeed, the only threat I see to Social Security is the Republicans. And while I may have been disappointed with the results of the "fifty-state strategy", it did achieve success in its tactical goal of delivering both houses of Congress to the Democrats' Party. (To render the proper distinction in spoken language, you would have to pronounce that "Demo-kratsiz".)

Why that tactical success did not then translate into the kind of practical success that progressives believed was their mandate has to do with the problem I brought up with this post, that is the fact that the "thought leaders" in control of the party apparatus and its operation within the larger scheme of the political discourse and life of the nation are not paying enough attention to the thought leaders of the grassroots progressive movement.

It is important to me to note that progressive grassroots organizations are doing a lot of work to pull the voters in red states to the left. That effort deserves not only commendation and recognition but greater examination and as much support as we can give it in whatever form that comes in.

I cannot assess how successful efforts to convince more conservative and moderate voters of my position might be. I can assume that the most important issue to confront them with is that of free trade. This idea is based on the assumption that more and more people are recognizing that lack of economic growth will be a permanent reality until big changes are made in our economic life. While people may approach the subject of economics from different angles, eventually their positions can be reconciled through an examination of the facts.

But one issue that is likely to keep people's attention in the short term is gay rights. There is a confrontation occurring right now in Alabama which is being interpreted as signaling the U.S. Supreme Court's intent to make a ruling this summer which will effectively make gay marraige legal nationwide. Personally, I think it is a civil rights issue. Communities can enforce their own standards legally, but politically we all have a right to pursue happiness as long as it does not harm another. Last I checked "harm another" doesn't mean offending their religious sensibilities. However, since I haven't kept close track of this issue I am unsure whether gay rights groups are unsatisfied with leaving the issue to be resolved at the state level. And since I don't know how it could be possible that gays in Alabama have won any kind of right to marry I have to suspect that this "set up" of a conflict may go either one way or another.

• Were Conservative Predictions About Obamacare Correct?   12 hours 44 min ago

its in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)

• Bubble, Bubble   12 hours 44 min ago

No More Homeowner Bailouts! The govt should not subsidize greed.

• What's Going On With These Women?   12 hours 47 min ago

That's funny-I have watched Snapped. Isn't Oxygen the channel that Oprah cofounded? My point was these cases of young women disappearing and turning up fine after govt has spent much money to find them. These cases both happened recently.

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   13 hours 46 min ago
    Quote LysanderSpooner:

I've pretty much won every debate I've been involved in. I've offered a moral, Constitutional and practical case for a free society. I've backed it up with logic and examples. I haven't engaged in fallacies. The reason I start new threads is because the old threads go off topic and because each new topic deserves its own thread.

LysanderSpooner the man, the myth, the legand.

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   13 hours 56 min ago

Deregulation of Freight by the Carter Administration... It cost my father and a thousands of other Teamsters work in the late 70's. The deregulation of freight was designed to undermine power unions in major cities and it did exactly that (neo-liberalism domestic style). From Teamsters to Air Traffic controller unions, old Smiling Jimmy and then followed up by Bonzo's co-star Dumbass Ronnie the attack on democratic institution was on. There has never been a study on the financial impact of the deregulation of freight that I've ever found, but I am sure it was a major set back for the working class.

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   14 hours 51 sec ago
    Quote LysanderSpooner:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Obviously you're AGAIN trying to distract from debates you're losing elsewhere by starting another new thread. DE already posted a long list of deregulation in response to your claim deregulation didn't cause the Bush Crash.

ROTF... what utter bullshit. The thread on dishonest libertarian arguments didn't go off topic. You started a new one within hours to distract from it.

The only thing you've ever won here is the forum's Fantasy & Self-Delusion award which anyone can win as long as they're sufficiently detatched from reality enough to actually believe their assertions constitute "proof". The rest of us are handicapped by actually having to operate in the real world.

• Tom Cotton   14 hours 39 min ago

Cotton was on sunday before last defending his letter. "We know Iran now occupies and is in complete control of Teheran". Arkansans were worried too I suppose.

• Never vote Democrat again?   14 hours 44 min ago

Palindromedary, your position claims there’s no difference between a Democrat who isn’t THE lefty you’d prefer and a Republican of any stripe. Respectfully, to think so, means you’re blind to the long list of progressive Democrats in office around the nation, as well as being blind to the differences between them and any Republican.

Also, in doing so, you trivialize many important issues and policy positions that even a hawkish Democrat would support, for example: women’s pay equity issues and abortion rights, LGBT issues, healthcare, public education, the environment, left-leaning SCOTUS appointments, support of science over religious, anti-science positions, separation of church and state, consumer protections, human rights vs. torture, Social Security, Medicare, and so forth.

As much as I share my fellow progressive’s grief over the National Security State, drone killings of innocent civilians, the failure of the DOJ to prosecute banksters, or jail war criminals such as George Bush and Dick Cheney, I’m not going to pretend that any Democratic candidate cannot play an important role in creating the kind of social climate in our daily lives that supports equality, health, and enlightened progress forward. Those things count, and they count big. Do you think any Republican you put in office via voting against a Dem will not trash all of that and make our lives unbearable beyond anything we’ve seen yet? If you do, or you don’t care, then that’s pretty disgusting.

So, you want to teach the Dems a lesson? Sorry, but we don’t have time for that. You give the Republicans more power legislatively than they have right now, and you can kiss Social Security, Medicare, and, that is, your silly ass good-bye. Do you really think the Earth can wait, while we allow a Republican to muck around with the environment, willy-nilly okaying the likes of the Keystone XL Pipeline? I don’t, and I guess that’s where we differ most of all.

• Never vote Democrat again?   14 hours 47 min ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote Zenzoe:

"Silly," from someone whose moniker is "Gumball?" Give me a break.

As for the official DemocratIC Party website, how silly do you have to be not to be able to find that? How about this, for starters.

You don't find it odd that they chose a "slur" as the name of their website?

“Democrat” is a slur only in the minds of people who are blindly anti-Democrat, those who have developed a prejudice against Democrats and the Democratic Party, eschewing all insights and acknowledgments to the contrary. That is, it’s only a slur, if you’re a bigot. ;-)

Democrat is a noun. A Democrat is a member of the Democratic Party. To use it to modify another noun —Party— is to have a tin ear and a serious lack of grammatical sensibility, to say nothing of the lack of respect for the organization’s foundational ideals and original naming of itself. And, btw, if we’re upset that the Party has moved to the Right and is not as democratic as we’d like, just compare it to the Republican Party and see which has the greater democratic creds.

When we say the words “vote Democratic,” we’re implying “Democratic Party.” The word “Democratic” implies the absent word “Party.” When you say “vote Democrat,” you’re not making any grammatical sense; to be grammatical, you would have to say, “vote for a Democrat,” since “Democrat” is a person, a noun, one that isn’t supposed to modify another noun, so it couldn’t possibly be implying the absent word “Party.”

Linguistically speaking, “Democrat Party” has the same clunky effect on the ear as “alcohol beverage” might, unless, I suppose, if English is not your native language. Or, if you will, “gonad hormone” would sound ignorant to a biologist, when the correct term is gonadotropic hormone. Or how about “lymphocyte leukemia,” when it should be “lymphocytic leukemia,” a medical term I came across recently because my cat died of it. Or, “human psychology,” when the proper term is “humanistic psychology”— to choose the former over the latter not only sounds dumb, it is dumb, just like “Democrat Party” is dumb.

In any case, your tin ear wants to corrupt the language, and them’s fightin’ words in my book.

• The 13 words you can’t write about Hillary Clinton anymore   14 hours 49 min ago

Those words fit a lot of people. Apply them to the Koch Brothers and see if it fits.

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   14 hours 49 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

• Obama’s Corporatocracy: Nestle quietly bottling as much of California’s water as they can.   14 hours 51 min ago

Purchase a reusable water bottle. Fill it from your tap and use it. You can filter it if necessary. Brita makes filters among others. I keep a few bottles frozen that I can take along and it stays cold all day long.

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   14 hours 53 min ago

Does anyone remember the period of consumer exploitation that followed the break up of Ma Bell? Sleazy phone companies contract with private property owners have pay phones on the their property that charged exorbitant rates with the property owner getting big kickbacks. It's similar to how prisons today rip off the families of inmates.

• A "People's Budget"   14 hours 58 min ago
  • Wisconsin Republicans Abandoning Scott Walker   15 hours 7 sec ago

Way to late. It like criticizing the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

• Nuclear 14   15 hours 2 min ago

You look at the map and you can understand why people in Nevada do not want tons being shipped from every direction to one spot in Nevada. The odds of an accident increase dramatically on this one target.

• Nullification: Interview with a Zombie   15 hours 2 min ago
    Quote mjolnir:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Lame in the extreme.

Obviously Woods is afraid to do a real interview so he uses the zombie premise to avoid tough cross examination.

I haven't watched Thom much lately but in my experience he greatly prefers to interview truly sharp people with the built in delay of off-site contact. I remember he had Catherine Herridge on once and she shredded his "talking points" the way a mother would a child.

Thom is at best an adequate interviewer. He's is doing a live talk show... it has to be on a delay and he needs to be in contact with the producer.

What does this have to do with Woods who supposedly has a doctorate in history, through that doesn't stop him from saying demonstrably stupid things... had complete control of these Zombie interviews including the "questions", and could even do multiple takes?

• Harmony in communities   15 hours 5 min ago

To the first 80 backers (even those who could only give one dollar) of the Costa Alegre National Marine Park of Arroyo Seco:

Thanks to all of you, we not only made our goal of 27,000 but we surpassed it by a thousand. Granted, this is not like the beer cooler with gadgets guy who asked for 30,000 and got more than 13 million! Such are the world’s priorities, it seems. Still, we have three days for you to share with your friends and ask them to contribute something. This may be as close as one gets to seeing true action in restoring our oceans to prevent the warnings from happening.

The university team begins its pilot and baseline study soon. The Mexican government is fully supporting us and if the study goes as we think it will, we are on track for a bonafide sanctuary and then two years of “proving” its success and preparing for authentic eco-tourism for the village.

Our approximate projected costs for next 8 months if all goes as expected with the study and SEMARNAT can move swiftly:

• 20,000 USD for The Laboratory of Marine Ecology Team from the University of Guadalajar’s Pilot Study and Management Plan assistance
    • 2,000 for food, T-shirts and bands for community education, committee selections rules and regulations, and signature collections
    • 8,000 for 8 professional buoy markers, anchor chain and anchors
    • 5,000 for enforcement management (radios, boats, staffing)

This is all just for starters and we are going after environmental organization funds and federal funds for future work as relates to the mangrove, etc.

But YOU and YOUR FRIENDS are the true pioneers from around the world who will be responsible for this important happening. You are making history.

THANK YOU!!!!

Por favor, comparta! Tres días más

http://kck.st/19McDZd Rescata a los manglares, rescatarnos?

• Tom Cotton   15 hours 21 min ago

The Kochs bought him a seat in the Senate. It ain't hard to befuddle the Arkansans.

He's just another Koch Bircher lapdog.

• Beekeepers dream! Cool for bee's too!   15 hours 36 min ago

Here is an interesting video of the device in use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWC92NT2Eo

• “Hogwash!" and Other Down-to-Earth Observations   15 hours 38 min ago

/quotes/.Rumi

“Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”
    Rumi, Masnavi i Man'avi, the spiritual couplets of Maula

(if you mortgage your bewilderment, you may accrue an estate of humility)

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   15 hours 43 min ago

Got enough? How about the trucking industry deregulated in 1980 which caused numerous bankruptcies and mass layoffs allowing drivers to stay in the drivers seat 12-14 hours at a time and causing death and destruction on the roads. How about the S&L dereg causing the crisis of 1989. How about allowing Enron to have a trading floor dealing in energy commodities that they were supposedly selling.

These goddam libertarians don't seem to get that given unbridled free market capitalism the industries are going to get pared down to a few powerful players who can manipulate the markets. Happens every time. It really doesn't pay to rely on the better angels of the big corporate world. You'll get screwed every time. Run amok capitalism ain't what it's cracked up to be.

• The Weight- Bluegrass Style   16 hours 5 min ago

Matchbox 20, and Sister Hazel were linked on my Pandora channel for Shawn Mullins, then I switched to Poco, my Buffalo Springfield/CSNY bias, and Stevie Nicks was offered. then Greg Allman. Damn, it's all good. I just feed it from laptop via USB WiFi to a remote base and treble pair. Jackson Browne just came up. This service knows my taste!

I let Amazon track my searches and purchases, too. Being offered a book is different than being prompted for penis enlargement or erection pills, at least for me it is.

• Ode to Forrest   16 hours 11 min ago

Currently Chatting

Why the House of Representatives Doesn’t Represent Americans

One of the really weird ironies of politics these days is the huge divergence between what the American people actually want and what the radical right-wingers in Washington actually do. You won’t hear this on Fox So-Called News, but right now the American people are as progressive as they ever have been.

Don’t believe me? Just check the polls.