Recent comments

• Fascism and War: Elite Tools to Crush and Kill Dissent   1 day 29 min ago

ftr, that Zinn link need not be downloaded and can be referenced from a toolbar bookmark icon. ie:http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/socialism challenge relates to the OP's socialism entry.

Each chapter can offer backup to counter every conervative numbnut's assertion. Vietnam, '70s, Robber barons, civil rights etc. Uncle Sam as an emperor with no clothes is an ugly sight.

• Fascism and War: Elite Tools to Crush and Kill Dissent   1 day 37 min ago

AIW, history is a weapon zinn a peoples history

is the real story. Daniel Elsberg is one of the greatest patriots. Howard Zinn, Chalmers Johnson, Noam Chomsky, and more are my heros. The suffering the US unleashed on the south and central Americans is unparalleled (Colombus and Conquistadors after him are close).

Keep an eye on Cuba shuttles. They ought to be cheap and fun. I went there 20 years ago, less than 30 minutes from MIA. Hemingway fishing trips would be a good gimmick. Or Desi Arnez sound machine band night.

• Cuba Libre   1 day 1 hour ago
    • Housing: There is virtually no homelessness in Cuba. Thanks to the 1960 Urban Reform law, 85% of Cubans own their own homes and pay no property taxes or interest on their mortgages. Mortgage payments can’t exceed 10% of the combined household income.
    • Employment: Cuba’s unemployment rate is only 1.8% according to CIA data, compared with 7.6% (and rising) in the United States. One factor contributing to Cuba’s low unemployment is undoubtedly the 350,000 jobs that have been recently created by the burgeoning sustainable urban agriculture program, one of the most successful in the world, according to U.S.-based economist Sinan Koont.
    • Literacy: The adult literacy rate in Cuba (99.8%) is higher than the United States’ rate (97%), according to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
    • Infant mortality: Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate (4.7 per 1000 live births) than the United States’ (6.0).
    • Prisons: Cuba even does better on prisons. Its rate of incarceration—estimated at around 487 per 100,000 by the UNDP—is among the highest in the world, yet it is considerably lower than the U.S. rate of 738 per 100,000. Now that the number of political prisoners Cuba locks up is in decline, according to a February Associated Press news release, there is even less justification for the blockade.

The fact that a poor, formerly colonized country can meet its citizens’ basic needs, while outperforming the United States on key measures, underscores how inexpensively the United States could follow suit. Cuba’s example could prove instructive to President Obama and his constituents as the United States faces economic collapse. And herein may lie the real motivation of the blockade, and its most significant cost: it keeps people from making such comparisons first-hand. If the only concrete threat the Cuban Revolution poses to the United States these days is the threat of a good example, isn’t it high time we bury the blockade?

Reagan supported genocide in Central America to prevent that region's success outside of the preferred fascism of USA. Yes, GOP, there is an alternative to fascism.

I stand corrected, FL is now blue. Youngsters want Cuba relations. Only old fox fans are against it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, no homeless, 100% healthcare, no poor killed by a gop governor denying them healthcare, free secondary education including graduate school , higher literacy, higher infant survival, BUT, they can't carry guns!! Freedumb is only in 'merica.

The new Embassy and Ambassador will be a cherry position.

• The real cost of food stamps   1 day 1 hour ago

A boat’s movement can speed up the process of aging, whether it’s spirits, vinegar, or another liquid. Talkingcontractcatering.co.uk

• If Oil Stays Cheap and Plentiful.....   1 day 1 hour ago

I noticed that rs allen loves to tell people that they don't know wtf they are talking about but never shares his wealth of knowledge very well with the rest of us. I think rs allen doesn't know wtf he is talking about when he claims that others don't know wtf they are talking about. So, welcome to the club, rs allen...you're in good company. ;-}

Gee, I hope I didn't hit a sore spot, rs allen. I don't suppose you bought a Toyota Prius or worked in the automotive industry? Maybe you can explain why they are putting spy devices in the newest models of vehicles? I know someone who said that they get a mileage report every month showing how far they drove the car. How about how those cars can be electronically and remotely hijacked that could affect the safety of the occupants. It's not just Detroit's rust buckets but the foreign ones as well.

I noticed that some others who participate on this blog, who have a vested interest in the oil business, are always trying to protect their interests by arguing in favor of the oil companies. But, I don't remember that they've ever been so agitated. Oh, well, who knows what makes some people blow their stacks. Some people are just not very mentally stable and it comes across by how agitated they get over the tiniest of things. So, what are your qualifications to claim that I don't know wtf I am talking about? Just curious!

• U.S. Congress is NOT following the U.S. Constitution On Global Trade   1 day 1 hour ago

Very good information and links Combad57. You get an "A". And this is what I remember and understood when I recently learned about VAT taxes, which other nations charge. As products are manufactured and go through the production cycle VAT taxes are accumulated. However, if these goods are exported to for example the United States, the taxes are not charged or returned to the manufacturers in full. Another method of increasing exports and decreasing imports for countries like China who our federal government owes over a trillion dollars to.

• Witness #40   1 day 1 hour ago

Palindromedary, I believe you're right for a change. That must feel pretty good. I was assuming that Sarah "the Wasilla Priscilla" Palin was on FoxNews spouting nonsense again, that's what I get for assuming. I rarely pay attention to that kind of news. I see now that AIW was refering to your nonsense, however, I was not calling you a Wasilla Priscilla. I have to confess, I've stopped reading your post, but decided to humor you this time, because I made a mistake and didn't want a misunderstanding or hurt feelers because of a misdirected comment.

I did wonder why AIW was talkin directly to Sarah Palin, as if she was reading the post. I need to read more carefully and I need to proof read about nine times beofe hitting send, so I can stop having to come back and edit my sad spelling and even worse grammar.

• If Oil Stays Cheap and Plentiful.....   1 day 2 hours ago

One thing I noticed about the new incandescent bub replacements (the twisty neon ones) is that they interfere with my remote control of my satellite receiver. Maybe I need to get some LED type replacements. In order for me to change channels I have to unscrew 2 of my 3 overhead bulbs closest to the receiver.

• If Oil Stays Cheap and Plentiful.....   1 day 2 hours ago

Ultrax: "20 million Saudi nationals and 8 million foreigners" to be more precise. But thank you! I was just using the figures from what I read about Saudi Arabia back 30 years ago when I was living and working there. I have also used Google Earth to see just how much it had changed since then and it was amazing to me. I never thought it would change so much.

• Witness #40   1 day 2 hours ago

RichardofJeffersonCity: AIW likes to call me Palin (short for Palindromedary). I don't think she was talking about Wasilla Priscilla. But then, maybe, neither are you? ;-}

• Wellness Programs, the Business Roundtable and Corpo-Fascist Activism   1 day 2 hours ago

My point was about corporation using ACA legislation to control the lives of their employees through threats ranging from financial penalties to termination of employment. The law, as I see it, doesn't allow for that kind of corporate control over the lives of their employees, however, I am generally humanity based in my thinking, so maybe a fascist mind could interpret the law as a another weapon for corporation to use against their employees.

Some people don't mind control, as long as it's an accountable tyranny like a multi-national corporation that lives, thrives and maintains its dominance through the nanny state. Let's not question that, but let's question anybody that feels it should be a fundamental right of all human being to receive medical care and let's consider it evil if the right happens to be done by a democratic institution with popular control.

• Those Who Have Hours and Hours Every Week to Type and to Read Different Web Articles Don't Have Time to Make an Actual Contribution to Society   1 day 2 hours ago

I suppose we could all be like carpenter ants and march lock step with the dictates of those trying to herd us into a certain direction.

• Witness #40   1 day 2 hours ago

AIW, It's tragic when people die due to state violence. It's also tragic that citizens feel the need to justify state violence. And then there is tragedy of Palin; the reckless irresponsibility of people owning media companies allow the Wasilla Priscilla a national stage to spew her idiocy across the nation to ever listening ears. The mindless drivel that Palin utters out of her stupid face is remarkable, but the people that allow it are shameless.

• Taliban kills 144 school children in Pakistan:   1 day 2 hours ago

It's horrible no matter who is doing the killing. The Taliban was killing Pakistani children because Pakistan, at the behest of the US, had acted against the Taliban in Pakistan. The US did the killing in Garani, Afghanistan. Either way, I think we can say that the US was behind the killing of the children..one way directly and the other way indirectly.

• Sheriff Mack   1 day 3 hours ago

Hello Forum.

I am a keen listener to Thom's radio show and have learned a great deal from it.

I realise we are all human and fallible, so can anyone enlighten me to whether Sheriff Mack's claim that only around one third of Americans are registered to vote and Thom seemingly not disagreeing with this and then both of them appearing to reach a consensus that as little as 15% of those 'one third registered' actually vote ?

This would seem a very frightening if true claim, maybe I am misinterpreting this interview(24.00 minutes into it):

(I am from the UK.)

• Witness #40   1 day 3 hours ago

douglaslee: It takes less evidence to convict someone in civil law. So, how can you think that is giving a wrongly convicted person a fair shake? Civil law is all about money. And when it comes to money, and lawyers...well, need I say more? Who would benefit? From what I've read, MB's mom was living with an alleged Bloods gang member who was trying to get the rioters to "burn this town down" and MB didn't even get along with them. He lived with his grandmother for a long while in another nearby apartment complex. No wonder he had a bad attitude!

• A Warren Run Would Change Everything   1 day 3 hours ago

DAnneMarc, I made a personal decision not to vote for a war hawk of any kind. I voted twice for Obama using pragmatism as a justification. I will not be using pragmatic rationalization to undermine my own sense of right and wrong. Warren and Sander are both dead wrong about their positions on Israel's illegal occupation of the Palestinian people just like Scalia is wrong about torture.

I understand the reasoning that you are using and it's sound logic. I just don't have the pragmatic sensibility to allow myself to vote for the lesser of two evils anymore.

• Witness #40   1 day 3 hours ago

Dollymajig: I agree, there should have been an open trial. And an open trial would have established that the witnesses that most closely matched the physical evidence would have been the most believable as it happened in the Grand Jury. There is a very valid reason why the Grand Jury jurors ruled in favor of Wilson because they realized that many of the witnesses were not very believable. The jurors saw the physical evidence...large charts and maps and diagrams, something that most people, unless they spend a lot of effort at trying to get at the truth, don't get. And I believe that Brown would have been acquitted even in a jury trial. But then, it would have stretched out the length of time and intensity of rioters. It would have been very costly even more so than it has been already.

• Witness #40   1 day 3 hours ago

No, AIW, I wasn't there but at least I've read many of the testimonies. Have you even bothered to? Have you even looked at the physical evidence? I doubt it! Remember, you were, for the longest time, arguing with me about whether it was really MB and DJ in that surveillance video. Then, when it became so obvious that I was right and you were wrong, you shifted gears to say that it just didn't matter...that it had nothing to do with the shooting.
    Dorian Johnson admitted it was he and MB in that video and that he knew that MB did not pay for those cigars.

No, stealing cigars nor bullying the store clerk does not warrant a cop shooting him...but it established that MB was a dishonest bully and thief who would blatantly disobey an order by the police to get out of the middle of the street and that he was not the innocent child that the mean old cop had by the shirt pulling him into the car. Witnesses said that MB was slugging the cop in the face several times and that Wilson was trying to block those punches with his arm. And later, MB was acting in a threatening manner toward Wilson by moving toward him when he was order to stop or get on the ground.

MB obviously had an authority problem and a very bad attitude which has been reflected in the rap music he not only listened to but tried to create himself. It was Brown's attitude and his actions that got him killed. And there are many more bad-asses out there that are going to be killed one day because of their bad attitudes which will lead to bad actions on their part.

• Witness #40   1 day 3 hours ago

Wilson and OJ were not guilty, but not innocent. Civil law will correct the bias so easily shown.

• Witness #40   1 day 3 hours ago

THAT is why we need an open trial.

• A Warren Run Would Change Everything   1 day 3 hours ago

You are so correct.

• A Warren Run Would Change Everything   1 day 3 hours ago

Alice, Good on you. I agree.

• A Warren Run Would Change Everything   1 day 3 hours ago

Bryant Fisher really bombed. What a troll!

• Witness #40   1 day 3 hours ago

Good article, Gumball! :-) It is funny how they will put up that one delusional nut as an example but fail to recognize all the other nuts, liars, and very confused witnesses that testified against Wilson. It is also funny how they will disregard the witnesses who's testimony most closely matched the physical evidence.

It is not easy reading many of these testimonies. I often wondered if these people even graduated from grade-school. The prosecutor would have to keep reminding them not to tell them what they heard from other people but only what they actually saw with their own eyes. And in many cases, they kept reporting what they heard others say.

It was kind of comical in some cases when the prosecutor kept having to tell the witness that they should answer "yes" or "no" so that their recording machine could properly understand the response. Then the prosecutor said: "do you understand?" And the witnesses answer was "ok". And every "yes" or "no" question after that the witness responded with everything but a "yes" or "no". It's like the prosecutor just couldn't get the witness to respond properly.

I'm sure they were all a bit nervous....especially if they were lying..or fabricating their stories. But many of those witnesses just couldn't keep their story straight and contradicted what they said earlier. It wasn't just witness #40 that was not being truthful or clear as to what they actually saw.

Currently Chatting

Is George Zimmerman Right?

It's time to listen to George Zimmerman. Seriously, and I'll explain in a minute.