Recent comments

• Dr. Paul Craig Roberts: "The Leninist in the White House"   3 min 43 sec ago

You know Karolina, it really is not necessary to repeat every screwball thought that goes through that cranks mind! US imperialism and oligarchic authoritarianism is not modelled on nor does it resemble a communist dictatorship. It is not grounded in the desire by our leaders to impose their will. In fact it originates from the reverse end of the political spectrum to communist dictatorship. It is the product of rampant and savage capitalism with capitalists dictating the agenda, not a political party. When the federal government acts with impunity it does so simply because it is the most expeditious way to satisfy the cravings of the uber rich and the multinational corporations who dominate us and are our Lords of the Empire. Government is merely their handmaiden and your guy is another useful idiot who only contributes to the misappropriation of justifiable outrage!

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   6 min 23 sec ago
  • 2014 IZZY Awards   39 min 54 sec ago

Jeremy Scahill is one of the greatest investigative reporters this country has produced, way up there with Greg Palast. Considering the current trend of various governments (including ours) targeting, jailing and killing these noble souls, he is also a hero. - AIW

• Now it's Burger King That Plans to Screw US Taxpayers by Moving its Headquarters out of the Country   55 min 55 sec ago

Any excuse whatsoever to bash Obama eh dex? You forgot to somehow connect in Bill Ayers LOL

• Now it's Burger King That Plans to Screw US Taxpayers by Moving its Headquarters out of the Country   1 hour 5 min ago

Guess I can't boycott something I never buy anyway. It's been at least twenty years since I ate my last "whopper with cheese".

Fast food sucks. Toxic, artery-clogging crap; million-dollar CEO "bonuses" on the backs of overworked and underpaid burger flippers... Hey, you vote with your money! And you are what you eat. So my friends... bon appetit! - AIW

• College Grads And The Student Loan Fairies   1 hour 8 min ago
  • "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   1 hour 26 min ago

William Hayden has a schlong, ee-eye-ee-eye-oh

Sticks it where it don’t belong, ee-eye-ee-eye-ohhh…

• "Cops Gone Wild"   1 hour 34 min ago

john-oliver-covers-ferguson-and-he-nails-it check out the graffiti blessed mail box that cnn did not pixelate. Maybe it looked like fck the cops from their camera angle, no problem with that. Could be a contraction for fyck, feck, or fick but I didn't see feck. Of course that would make it .............. feckless, wouldn't it?.

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   1 hour 58 min ago

Another awesome post by “drc2”. Are you listening, “drbjmn”?

Humans are not elephants. I don’t recognize the connection. “When an adolescent male elephant goes into musk, and there are no adult males to keep him in check, he kills the rhinos, and wreaks havoc on the territory….” So what? And what does “beating” someone “into submission” accomplish, except leaving another person with an axe to grind and a lot of rage to misdirect on another innocent “scapegoat”?

I don’t get your point. How am I supposed to know whether you mean what you say, or are “partially kidding” or whatever? I’m not a mind reader. I don’t happen to know you personally, making it all the more difficult to interpret where you are actually coming from.

Who is “uselessly appealing to society’s softer side” anyway, and how? You’re not making much sense.

I'm well aware that some adolescent boys have difficulty handling their hormonal surges. I'm also aware that it is not my problem, or Zenzoe's problem, or my friend Michele's problem. It's their (the boys') problem, and for them to deal with themselves, with maybe a little guidance from older male role models. We've all got our challenges in life; women and girls have their own crosses to bear. - AIW

• Now it's Burger King That Plans to Screw US Taxpayers by Moving its Headquarters out of the Country   2 hours 27 min ago

/tax-tools-and-resources/pages/corporate-tax-rates-table. I think the reason US rates are so high is kind of like extortion. You pay 40% unless you pay for campaigns, or what the mafia used to call, protection. Once you sign up for campaign contributions your tax rate slides down to the average of 12% or with more contributions, tax payers actually pay you.

Canada is 26%, Sweden 22%, New Zealand 28%, Europe is 19.5%, EU is 20.5%, OECD average is 24% and they all have national health.

• College Grads And The Student Loan Fairies   2 hours 33 min ago

Yep, they amp it up all right. QUACK QUACK QUACK! - AIW

P.S. What DynoDick calls "Student Loan Fairies" look more like Student Loan Pirates & Vultures to me.

• Pay Ransom or Not?   2 hours 41 min ago

It was a pun. I thought of italicizing afterwords to clarify, but got tied up with the apple bit add-on. Technically the missionaries perished while the tribe was parished. The missionary parish became verbified when they sated the tribe. The tribe went from famished to parished, parished being full, a local dialect after the first ship, according to my anthropological research [in my mind].

• Microsoft To Lay Off 18,000   3 hours 16 min ago

Windows 3.0, released in 1990, improved the design, mostly because of virtual memory and loadable virtual device drivers (VxDs) that allow Windows to share arbitrary devices between multi-tasked DOS applications.

• Why are we letting Americans go hungry?   3 hours 25 min ago

Maybe you can’t see it, because you’re not looking at from the context of the time, but the New Deal was a result of external pressure outside of the government that forced the system to protect itself against reproach from the citizenry. Washington referred to this, along with a lot of other Founding Fathers, as a leveling spirit. The Civil Right movement of the 60’s and most popular movement in the U.S that had success was because the powers that be concede their stance to protect the system, so in return they could dismantle within using the same system that they protected against popular change. Thom on several occasion has made this point, especial with New Deal and the mood of the nation changing toward socialism or communism, however, he’s never made that connection completely. I am not advocating for either systems, I’m just making the point about the under current of the nation and that the people in power completely understood at that time.

FDR clearly went to the powers at the time and explained that their way of life was about to be directly threaten by the volition of the people. The New Deal was a brief concession by the ruling class, which was immediately attacked using the unchanged established institutions that existed to protect minority rule against leveling spirit of the majority. This 50 plus year attack on the New Deal, over time, is clearly reflected in the laws and policies that have changed, limited or completely dismantled those benefits and protection that the New Deal offered society. This has been done without consent of the people and that should be proof that we do not live in a democracy.

We do not move forward in this country by the popular method of democracy because it does not exist. We are allowed progress because our “betters” decide, either form fear of popular that might fundamentally change the limited function of representative government or that their rule by minority consensus might be directly challenged by the unbridled heard.

I personally have never taken Jefferson’s rhetoric on popular democracy seriously. However, there was a deliberate move by Jefferson’s colleagues to keep him away from the constitutional convention. His belief in the democratic process might have been the reason for that exclusion.

• College Grads And The Student Loan Fairies   3 hours 55 min ago

Investments in education and healthcare pay off in social and economic returns in the 5 to 6 times, some of the best investments taxpayers can make in owning the Commons and generating the revenues to pay for a good society of democratic culture.

Those who oppose said investments and decry the imposition upon their "freedom" such tyrannical democratic ownership of the Commons requires, are not looking at the socio-economic bottom line the state cares about. They are looking at cuts to their "entitlements" in the form of crony capitalism and worried that they cannot buy the laws that protect their scams. So they amp up the volume.

• Pay Ransom or Not?   4 hours 12 min ago

doug, is "parished" in the last line of your spoof intentional or a typo-pun? Perish the thought.

• Pay Ransom or Not?   4 hours 20 min ago

I tried to edit, but I got sent to the next post. So I emboldened the edit:

The law of suffering? Is that the hair shirt sect? The 25 that wished no support might have been reported differently in parts of South America or Ecuador.

I can imagine the tribe greeting the new missionaries sent to replace the last ones.

They were told the tribe welcomed them with smiles and beautiful head crowns to place upon them and sure enough here they are. Obviously they are taken with the lord's message. Having not heard from the first dispatched missionaries, this group felt the job still not done. Well, the tribe led them to the village and all the members were setting huge banquet tables adorned with fruits and a special ceremonial drink. A huge open pit fire was being fanned by children and women alike. When the lead proslytizer asked what they were having for dinner, the chief replied "You". The leader said "Yes I know, I saw you setting the place, but what is the main course?" "You" said the chief. "I've not seen sheep on this Island, but I have a good Ewe dressing" ..said the leader. The chief then came with an apple and said "Open". The leader said "Wha..?" "That's it" said the chief as he wedged the apple in the leader's mouth.

Ah,ha, that's why the tribe was so happy, they no longer had to hunt, this new animal called missionaries came to the dinner table all by themselves. Never had they eaten so well. For food to just walk up to be cooked was evidence they were living a riteous path. And when this group were all gone, another boat would come with books in their hands, proving they were here to feed us too, thought the chief. The tribe parished eventually, having got no exercise from the hunt and obese from the rich food full of saturated fat that continued to come off the ships as regular as the seasons.

• Pay Ransom or Not?   4 hours 33 min ago

They were told the tribe welcomed them with smiles and beautiful head crowns to place upon them and sure enough here they are. Obviously they are taken with the lord's message. Having not heard from the first dispatched missionaries, this group felt the job still not done. Well, the tribe led them to the village and all the members were setting huge banquet tables adorned with fruits and a special ceremonial drink. A huge open pit fire was being fanned by children and women alike. When the lead proslytizer asked what they were having for dinner, the chief replied "You" The leader said "Yes I know, I saw you setting the place, but what is the main course?" "You" said the chief.

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   4 hours 54 min ago

Having stated my unequivocal rejection of the very present "rape culture" and opposing all the attempt to explain away or justify the rapist, allow me to venture a pastoral sense of the male dilemma and pain of being "Male" and "Real Man" in our highly distorted Barbie/Ken game of power sex and individual self-fulfillment. I got lucky. I was raised by a real woman, and fell in love with another one.

I also got to hear many couples' stories of how they met and decided to get married as well as what went wrong with marriage number one in many cases. I got to hear a guy who was so handsome it hurt talk about being the sex object who never knew if those after him were interested in him or his image. That usually belongs to the Bimbo with Brains who has to hide her "assets" to avoid the hounds. The point is how empty the superficial sex is and why intimacy defies the rules of American Indivdualism and "power."

Fixing rape culture is not about punishing rapists. That only protects the pathology by hitting those who do not now how to rape inside the rules. Actually going out and acting out your victimhood by assaulting and insulting a woman with your dick is hardly being overcome by her charms. The idea that a young boy should have a whore to learn what it is all about is "rape culture." The present attitude where a young male is supposed to use a condom but they young female is supposed to save it for marriage is rape culture. Making girls give into guy's agenda on sex is rape culture, so the idea that fucking your boyfriend is what is expected may well have gone beyond any sensual and sexy feminism.

On that subject, let me just say that I LOVE IT!!!! I don't want to be flattered and played up to, I want to be taken as I am in honesty and depth. Honest intimacy is a deep experience and it grows on you. The penis as a projection of need and intimacy instead of as a weapon of conquest or a "pleasure machine" of domination and shock and awe, well isn't that really rape culture covering over the fear of intimacy?

Even the romatically popular Kahlin Gibran tells us not to give ourselves away completely in love, and he is wrong. You have to give it all away to get it given back again, and it is what is given back that is real, not that to which you cling to avoid falling into intmacy's depths.

I think a lot of the problem is that men don't get to deal with their need and intimacy, and the culture tells us to be strong, powerful, together and sexy. And, we have no idea how to do this. What happens is that some "fall into it" while the rest feel inadequate. Puberty happens and delayed adolescence is about not getting married at sixteen and plowing the plot for generations. We have to live with premarital sexuality whether or not there is premarital sex. Many teen comedy shows are based in this dilemma, and Archie's Virgin/Whore perplexment about Betty or Veronica is classic imagery.

What is a decent guy to do? Are you just going to be in the crowd while the jocks fuck the cheerleaders and get cred for it? Do you hear the local athletic supporters as they drool over the "young bloods" and their "pompoms?" What you would do with a relationship of such depth and intimacy and obligation in this part of your life is not the question. Are you a dork or a stud is. It is in the air you breathe.

I got lucky. But I heard from a lot of folks who had to do divorce or live with regrets about not knowing what presumption and culture had done to them. Of course there was miscommunication and hard feelings about being violated. And guilt.

Alcohol related incidents often required more grace than the tap could provide.

Even adult men who have had good marriages look back and talk about how unfair the dating game was. College campuses were often predominantly male and the social consequences are clear. Girls got dates while boys stood in line unless they were the 'studs' or Richie Rich. Adolescent resentment and feeelings of inadequacy abound. It is those bitches who won't look at me and see a guy who would really love them and care and.......

I have seen men who married Asian women get a tutorial in growing up when their 'submissive" Asian bride showed up. I have also seen those who accepted the role their patriarch had paid for and played the part of submissive and flattery. What they were escaping is the real point.

It is the image of Asian women not being castrating and shrill bitches that is interesting, because it says that women in general are exactly that. What is it about the same culture women in their lives that forms this escape fantasy about women who don't bother trying to change or convert men, they just play them like fine violins?

Much as I hate the bimbo beer ads for making men dumber than the blondes, I find these brides from the exotic Asian or Russian pool of available women horribly revealing about American men. If you want an intercultural experience, have one. If you meet a woman in that intercultural experience with whom you feel that wonderful spark, set it on fire together. But don't go looking for someone who is not that shrill, catrating bitch that you find "so many" American women being. Grow up instead.

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   5 hours 3 min ago
    Quote Aliceinwonderland:

“Drbjmn”, rape is a special crime because its only real motive is power and control. And it is also the only crime that can potentially force a women into pregnancy against her will. The scars it leaves on the psyche of the victim (even if that victim happens to be male) are unique to that crime, making it especially damaging to the spirit of the one who’s been violated. It has the potential of sabotaging that person’s ability to ever be in a healthy intimate relationship or marriage. Rather than stealing money or material things, it steals one’s dignity, autonomy, self esteem, sense of integrity and self worth. Need I go on?

“Beating the shit” out of juveniles accomplishes what?! Frankly, that’s the stupidest “remedy” to this problem I’ve seen or heard in quite awhile. - AIW

I put special in quotes. I didn't ask why it was SPECIAL (are caps better?) It ABSOLUTELY takes away EVERYTHING, and is ABSOLUTELY about power and control.

The threat of beating the shit out of juveniles is the ONLY thing that will control them? ( i don't ACTUALLY propose doing it!) I'm only partially kidding. But if you want to try to tell a teenage boy to ignore his hormones, good luck, since you know nothing about them. My opinion, and it's just that, is MAYBE, the adult rapist, is born from a confused, repressed, teenager. And even if it's not., a culture of strong male role models is the answer. Notice I don't suggest that races that don't have that, are at fault. There are some fathers that encourage their sons to be "men" by subjugating women. teenage boys need the right male role model.

I have a daughter, mother, sister, aunt, etc

Appealing to society's softer side is nice,but useless.

• Pot saps brainpower?   5 hours 35 min ago

The point I was making is how totally inconsistent Dex has been on his "politics" and what his postion on pot comes down to. He wants to equate the incapacities and dangers, but they don't exist. He wants to tax pot as if it caused social damages the taxes would pay for. Who gets to keep the pot tax money? What does it go for? Why should pot smokers be taxed for inconsequence when the other taxes are directly related to consequence?

Conservatives often talk of taxation as theft or unbridled government revenue sucking out of our pockets. Tax the snot out of it is just vindictive and hardly the "small government" that cannot do public healthcare or own our pharms. Dex loves his drug testing money from the government even if it is no value added taxpayer waste.

• A Rising Tide Only Lifts All Boats When Everyone Has a Boat.   5 hours 36 min ago

It might be an over simplification to state – If we live in a democracy and then the will of the people should be the governing factor in laws and policy. So, if the majority consensus is that a person living below the most meager of means that a person can live and exist is not acceptable in a wealthy society, then it would be corrected by the democratic process. However, that is clearly not the case in the United States, therefore, we do not live in a democracy or a democratic republic, because the will of the people is not addressed by popular volition.

• A Rising Tide Only Lifts All Boats When Everyone Has a Boat.   5 hours 49 min ago

It's morally wrong to NOT feed human children... It is an economic stupidity because remediation is SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. So this is LOGICAL and ECONOMICAL!

Feed ALL children worldwide for

ONE MILLION $$$ of each One Billion spent on WAR.

FIGHTING costs WAY MORE than FEEDING !!

Get with the program folks !

Feed ALL children Educate ALL people

to feed themselves and others

Our RIGHT is to establish ideal human habitat; our DUTY for 7 generations. ALL kept as PUBLIC BENEFIT controlled only by real HUMANS, on GAIA our living planet.

FOOD CEREMONIES generate PEACEFUL COMMUNICATION

Gather in fields: the congregation.

Plant seeds: the ceremony.

PRAY during the growing/watering.

Share WORLDWIDE: the communion.

Peace n Planting our true way of life.

99% feel the same ...... Feed ALL children Educate ALL people

Please BEE REAL -- get a hive going with somebody anywhere!

BEE ProACTIVE aka benefit the 7 generations in all you do!

PS MAKING IT HAPPEN LOCALLY in your neighborhood.

Thought this local action peace plan might be at the heart of our prayers.... we could rent church kitchens and make wonderful BREAKFAST in YOUR POCKET cookies and donated organic milk for school children. Friday night we use the kitchen again to make WHOLE GRAIN PIZZA with ten vegetables and mushrooms. Salad bar too, all organic fresh!

NO MOVIE NIGHTS -- instead there are ten tables with crafts and skills mentors sitting there to help the YOUTH. A great fisherman, a basket maker, leather worker, food preservation teacher and other useful survival skills teachers /life guides.

• Dr. Paul Craig Roberts: "The Leninist in the White House"   6 hours 25 min ago

The selfishness of libertarianism isn't going to solve anything either. I seem to have a nest of these selfish types living in a nearby community who post their braindead nonsense on a local news site about "taking other people's money" even if those "other people" essentially looted it from the masses.

You get revolutions line the French and Russian ones when rich get to swell in the head and trample the masses with their arrogance and looting.

• Bill O' Reilly's comments   6 hours 25 min ago

Thanks Doug. American fiction sounds like a good guess... or American Bigotry 101.

By the way, did you notice the date on that article? It was published twelve years ago. Bill OhReally's argument is obviously old and stale. Not one original idea in that toxic weenie's arsenal!

Nice try, Dexie boy. - AIW

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

A Rising Tide Only Lifts All Boats When Everyone Has a Boat.

President John F. Kennedy once said about economic development that “a rising tide lifts all boats.” Kennedy was, of course, right, but he missed something really, really important: A rising tide lifts only lifts all boats when everyone has a boat.