Recent comments

• Showdown Over Greece Escalates   15 hours 47 min ago

China wants to invest in European infrastructure. That will by extention tie the U.S. into the European bond market. That in turn will cushion any further revolt against austerity. I'm speculating.

• Showdown Over Greece Escalates   15 hours 49 min ago
  • "America must pay its bills"   16 hours 26 min ago

Tom,

July 6, 2015

Though my wife and I are fans, we just turned off the "Big Picture Rumble", how do you suffer Kevin Martin, we can't. Why do you allow him to spew his disinformation on your show? Where people of good conscience come to get informed, and are forced to leave because of this agendizor (one who presses their own agenda). Not for the benefit of the many, but of the few, very few in fact.

When Reagan took office the National Debt was .9 Trillion, when he left office eight years later it was 2.8 Trillion. For Martin's information, that's a tripling of the National debt. When Reagan took office there were around 50 billionaires in the U.S. today that number exceeds 500! Why, because of tax policy starting with Kennedy, he's the one who in actuality began lowering taxes on the rich, but continuing through Obama, when Sanders is elected President with Warren V.P., hopefully the tax law insanity of the last 54 years will stop. The lowest top tax rate on the rich during Eisenhower's administration was 91%, lowered from 92%. The amount of dollars where these rates (92% and 91%) kicked in varied throughout his Presidency from around 200k to 400k.

If one looks at Wal-Mart, the CEO makes around 2500 times the amount of their minimum wage workers, apparently Martin thinks this is okay, we don't. The CEO of Wal-Mart's payroll taxes are paid up comfortably before noon on January 2nd, Martin apparently thinks this of okay, we don't. In point of fact, IT'S OBSCENE! The Waltons have not only gotten their wealth from, in my opinion, exploiting their workers, they take, in my opinion, most of their wealth from 1. Workers, by providing unlivable/poverty wages; 2. Government welfare programs that many of their workers have to be on to survive because they, the workers, cannot live of a full weeks hard earned wage paid them by the cheap ass Waltons, (in my opinion don't you know) such as a.) Food stamps, b.) Medicaid, c.) rent subsidies (it would be interesting for a university to do a study on how much of the Walton's wealth comes directly from welfare subsidies to their business model, I believe all of it does, talk about Welfare Queens and Kings); 3. Local government welfare in the form of reduced property taxes. Who knows what else. WHY! Either because of: 1.) Ill-informed Republicans and Democrats., or 2.) Evil politicians, we hate to think the latter, but could be true.

I have no idea what all schemes the Walton's have devised to separate Federal, State and local treasuries of their money, which of course cannot be done without governments being willing partners, it would sure be interesting to find out though. We challenge some university to such an endeavor. I'm sure Martin agrees with their/this business model, we don't. That's my rant Tom. Every time Martins on, we're gone. Kinda of rhymes don't you think. Thanks Tom, Sharon and Rick

• Thom Is Wrong: Trade Deficits Did Not Start With Reagan   16 hours 31 min ago
    Quote Dr. Econ:

Well, you really want a deficit when you are in recession.

So, most economists look at the 'full employment deficit', or the deficit out of potential GDP, or anything to account of the fact that as the economy slides into recession, revenues fall and deficits increase.

I think that all started - for all practical purposes - under Reagan. It was partly tax cuts, but also increasing age.

Sorry DE... this thread is about trade deficits not budget deficits. But clearly Reagan's budget deficit spending continued despite the eventual recovery.

• What’s Good About Guaranteed Basic Income   17 hours 6 sec ago

Geez, I wonder what a national poll on guaranteed basic income would look like?.....99% in favor, 1% oppposed......the 1% including billionaires like the Waltons, and fast food franchise owners.

Thomas Paine says, yeah!

• Is This The End of Predatory For-Profit Colleges?   17 hours 16 min ago

This is an unbelievable posting. It was especially helpful. I look properly in scrutinizing a more noteworthy measure of your work.
    Also, I made a point to bookmark your site so I can return later.

buy soundcloud re posts

• Politics is obscene. Why can't we relegate Statism to the dustbin of history?   17 hours 29 min ago
    Quote jrodefeld:

Lastly, the idea that liberalism was born of priviledge seems specious at best. What could possibly have been more elitist than monarchy and feudalism, which were the dominent forms of political organization in John Locke's time?

Yes, Libertarianism is elitist like Fuedalism and Monarchy. Monarchy protects the king, Fuedalism the lord. Libertarianism protects those who own the land, and later the capital, so that the "free" serfs now work for them. Of course, such a system is not perfect, and there is a certain amount of mobility between classes, depending on the available resources, historical circumstances and political systems. But that would be the general direction of capitalism, if not restrained by the mixed economy - which, by the way, is the only feasible system in the long run.

• Politics is obscene. Why can't we relegate Statism to the dustbin of history?   17 hours 37 min ago
    Quote jrodefeld:

Okay, so libertarianism which holds up as its primary moral principle something called the Non-Aggression Principle, i.e. it is morally wrong to initiate violence against the innocent in all circumstances....

I can 'hold up' principles too. Like saving thousands of lives a year by requiring people put their seat belts on.

You would let them die, or spend their lives in hospitals, tortured by their conditions.

Libertarianism is a violent cult of murder, torture and slavery.

Libertarianism 'holds up' a a moral princaple, but that is all it does, 'hold it up', for everyone to see. It doesn't hire cops, police, dectives, corporate auditors, inspectors, health researchers, educators, firemen, workplace examiners, border inspectors, lawyers. In short, it protects no property.

Libertarianism is a violent cult of murder, torture and slavery.

• Do We Need Amtrak? (+ a side debate on firearm background checks)   17 hours 55 min ago
    Quote mavibobo:
    Quote ulTRAX:

So pray tell Einstein, how do you enforce the existing Gun Control Act of 1968 that made it illegal to sell to a prohibited person? It's virtually a Catch 22 to enforce it against private sellers.

If a ATF does a sting... and an ATF agent buys a gun without the seller doing a background check THE ATF AGENT IS NOT A PROHIBITED PERSON SO THE SELLER COULD NOT HAVE BROKEN THE GCA. So are you suggesting AFT must hire criminals or other prohibited persons for sting operations and see if a seller illegally sells them a gun?

BY EXTENDING BACKGROUND CHECKS.... if an ATF person buys the gun without the seller doing the background check... the ATF can prove the violation on the spot.

So clown what is to stop atf or local police from doing what you just said without a ding new laws? The atf could have a convicted felon approach a seller if the seller sells the weapon to him they can still arrest them for selling to a felon. Are you getting it yet clown?
    ROTF... so let's see if we can understand all your psychotic ideas. We should NOT extend background checks to private sellers at gun shows. We should WAIT until people are needlessly robbed, raped or murdered by an illegal gun... THEN try to track down the person who sold it to a criminal. This, to you, is freedom. F*ck the victims. They mean nothing in your infantile Gun Nut world.

BUT... despite the fact that YOU claimed background checks pose an inconvenience, YOU insist we must inconvenience the seller AND a legal buyer by having them go down to the local PD to get the background checks done. So if the seller can sell 20 guns at the show... he must instead head down to the local PD then meet with the 20 buyers later to give them their guns.

OR the ATF can hire criminals, those adjudicated mentally ill, and drug addicts to do buy guns while the ATF watches. Brilliant!!!!!!

Wow Einstein... the insane depths you'd be willing to go through just to avoid the commonsense expansion of the background check system. I can't fathom the depths of your Gun Nut psychosis that the above makes perfect sense to you.

• What’s Good About Guaranteed Basic Income   18 hours 10 min ago

Thom, I would highly recommend this NYT article for your reading. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/us/politics/hillary-clintons-team-is-wary-as-bernie-sanders-finds-footing-in-iowa.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Who would I like to see in Hillary Clinton's cabinet should she steal the Democratic nomination away from Senator Bernie Sanders? Any corporate management who also hates to see waste and fraud among its worker bees. More specifically, I would like to see someone from Walmart, Hewlett Packard, Disney Corp, etc. in Hillary's cabinet, in any position as Secretary or Under-secretary. Someone who knows how to suppress wages but talks a good game about worker concerns; able to strategically outsource every middle-class job if the Transpacific Partnership trade rules fall short in Congress; hires more foreign nationals that got the benefit of an American ivy league education; uses identity politics as a conduit to pass corporate personhood more effectively; and anyone else who would understand the real value of being greedy--not just on Wall Street--but within our commons and our community recreational centers. Corporate statehood would be the backbone of our 21st Century.

• "America must pay its bills"   18 hours 11 min ago

Deficits matter in that you are raising taxes from some people, to pay other people who lend the money. Typically that is a transfer from the poor and middle class to the wealthier.

Creating more money that the economy can absorb will cause inflation. You cannot index all incomes without becoming a tolitarian state.

• Independence Day: “…With Liberty and Justice for All”   18 hours 14 min ago

I don't feel you addressed my main point, which was "Average black incomes are less than whites because of the exclusionary white culture. To believe otherwise would be a racist - someone who believes that blacks are just more lazy or more ignorant. " - so maybe we agree.

Further, there are lot of poor black people that work very hard - harder than many whites - to make it in this racist culture.

But you are also correct that there are a small number of blacks who commit more crimes in proportion to their population. There are also a small amount of blacks who take advantage of protests to commit crimes (although similiar things happen during all protests).

I think the reason we have so many social problems is because of inequality, and the lack of a European style safety net and education. Other nations that also has slavery - like Britain, doesn't have nearly the same problem with black racism - even though it is a highly class system and obviously racist in part as well.

I think if you put whites in similiar decaying urban ghettos many might give up hope and resort to crime as well.

• What’s Good About Guaranteed Basic Income   18 hours 20 min ago

Bucky Fuller said pretty much the same in the 60's. Give everyone on the planet an income and let them do what they love to do. Humans are designed to be problem-solvers for the earth.

• Thom Is Wrong: Trade Deficits Did Not Start With Reagan   18 hours 22 min ago

Well, you really want a deficit when you are in recession.

• Why am I the first and only one to post on this?   18 hours 32 min ago
    Quote Aliceinwonderland:

Reply to #30: Dex, find me just one quote from myself or anyone else here, claiming “all whites” are racist. Just one.

You are correct, it is not "all whites" it is "conservative old white guys "

The white lefties appear to be sorry they were not born black Spanish speaking lesbians.

• What if paying your fair share meant... pay $12,000 each individual per year in taxes???   18 hours 56 min ago

Horrible idea. Sounds like another version of the so-called "flat tax." No thanks.

• Why am I the first and only one to post on this?   19 hours 40 sec ago

Reply to #29: stwo, our country (particularly the south) has a long history of white racists burning black churches. Given that history, it’s reasonable to suspect white racism is involved when you have so many black Christian churches burning within such a short time frame. Your accusation that we are all “spreading lies” only reveals you as another defensive white person in denial.

You guys are so full of crap, I can smell it wafting through my laptop. Pee-yew.

• Basic income   19 hours 26 min ago

The Fed is controlled by Congress. The post above that attacks the Fed because Presidents don't have unlimited power over it neglects to mention that the Fed implements what the Federal Reserve Act tells it to. The Federal Reserve Act has been amended many times since its original inception. Most recently in 2010, it was amended to include Dodd-Frank provisions.

Even under the current Federal Reserve Act, the provision exists in Section 13 (13) to lend to individuals. This section says that the loans are to be made at an interest rate determined by the Board of Governors. The Board can simply decide on a negative interest rate, thus paying people to borrow and keeping the loans rolling over forever. This would be one way of setting up a Basic Income for individuals, at zero cost to taxpayers.

Remember that during the 2008 financial crisis, the Fed extended unlimited swap lines to the ECB, Switzerland, the Bank of Japan, and many other institutions. The Fed has unlimited liquidity, and it proved that in the 2008 panic.

As for individuals "smoking pot by the pool", the simple truth is that we don't need everyone to work. The mentality that everyone has to work leads to friction in businesses that hire people who don't belong there and get in the way of smooth functioning, playing office politics instead of innovating new technologies.

With a basic income, hold lots of challenges to stimulate individuals to innovate. Individuals are better at disruptive innovation, corporations are better at incremental innovation. Uncover good new disruptive ideas through challenges, and then let businesses incrementally innovate them. Standards of living will rise faster than the market alone can raise them.

• Bernie Sanders Could be the Next FDR   19 hours 39 min ago

Mr. Hartmann: I just have to thank you for introducing me to Bernie Sanders. I used to listen to you in the Seattle area before we lost our progressive stations. Every Friday you would have Mr. Sanders on "Brunch with Bernie," and I used to ask myself, "who is this guy? He's wonderful. Let's get him for president." That has to be at least 8-9 years ago. Since then, I'd occasionally hear about Mr. Sanders in the news, but not much. Plus I lost track of where I could get your programs.

Now, I cannot be more excited about someone running for president. I'm almost 68 years old and I don't I have EVER voted for a candidate I was really excited about. This man has my heart, my soul, my vote, and so far, some of my very limited money. And you, in large part are responsible for that because I got hear his ideas and beliefs on your show. So thank you very, very much for that.

By the way, I live in a rural area with no TV or internet, other than the horrible satellite system that we have (internet only; limited and agonizingly slow bandwidth). However, again thanks to your web site, I was able to see that the local station in our town is carrying you from 9-12 every weekday. So, now I can return to the fold. Makes me very happy. --Sincerely, Cathrynm47

• What’s Good About Guaranteed Basic Income   19 hours 41 min ago

Hey Thom ! and friends! I barely limped into Social Security as a Union Building Trades Commercial Plumber and was relieved when I started getting my checks from SS after I turned 67. I couldn't have stood any more pain if I had to work any more years so raising the retirement age is something I can't believe any politician could believe would be OK but I remember my sense of relief when I realized I didn't have to maintain unemployment anymore BECAUSE I COULD ALWAYS PAY MY RENT!

I thought! WOW WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF EVERYBODY COULD ALWAYS PAY THEIR RENT ! Without having to be in pain or work slave hours or all the other compromises' that families have to make in minimum wage America.

Salt Lake City has found that if they give Drug addicts, Drunks, and other assorted "street people" free HOUSING, they stop being Drunks, Addicts and they go to WORK! This will really piss off the Christians,

its almost like that pain in the Ass Liberal was talking about on the service on the Mount

• Do We Need Amtrak? (+ a side debate on firearm background checks)   20 hours 26 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

Quote mavibobo:Higher enforcement can be accomplished now without having to add more laws. So why don't we try enforcement before we add more laws that you have said will do nothing without more enforcement so you even admit it will do nothing.

Gettin' it yet MensaMan?

Didn't think so.

• Massachusetts must do more to recycle...   20 hours 26 min ago

Plus also, require public and private trash barrels to have a latch and covers to prevent spillage or loss trash to blow all over the neighbors and streets. Trash on the streets make the area look horrible and uninviting ...

• Showdown Over Greece Escalates   20 hours 46 min ago

Oh, and BTW, what the heck is Paul Craig Roberts even slightly nudging Russia and China to think about joining this fray. Shortly after WWII, we invested heavily in Greece and other nations, yes, Germany included But Truman's administration was particularly vexed with the prospect of Russia's Stalin having a footfold in Europe, and rightly so. This isn't just a potential economic meltdown crisis to worry about no, we're also facing a geopolitical crisis, esp. if China and Russia butt in and the Euro goes kaputt. What odes one have in return to check the Russians and Chinese? Zero.

• Bill O’Reilly and America Need to Be De-Programmed   20 hours 48 min ago

And you "dont want to forget about your Native American brothers to" Thom? well they did it to. Native Americans had black slaves and fought for the confederacy. They had southern-like plantations with black slaves.

Also see History Channel's special 'Time Machine-"Indians Warriors: The Untold Story of The Civil War" '

• Showdown Over Greece Escalates   20 hours 52 min ago

Hope the Greeks enjoy their big bash, because it'll be the last time they do any celebrating for some time to come.

It's worthwhile to remember the words to this old American country tune, "I'll be all smiles tonight:

" I'll be all smiles tonight, Love, I'll be all smiles tonight
    Though my heart may break tomorrow, I'll be all smiles tonight."

It's a 19th century American song, but it's opening lyrics capture Greece's situation today quite nicely.

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

Reaganism is a Failure from Greece to Washington, D.C.

Thom plus logo We are witnessing the failure of an ideology on a global scale.

As the Greek debt crisis moves into its most explosive phase yet, many people here in America are asking themselves, “Why?”