Recent comments

• The Problem of the Establishment   13 hours 22 min ago

Ginico, that's why we need the "political revolution". It's not enough to elect a good president, Congress has to change too. Ted Cruz will get even more through Congress as currently constituted and that's what scares me about him and Hillary.

• Degrowth   13 hours 27 min ago

Peak oil will increase industrialization. It will necessitate a switch to Nuclear Energy, synthetic fuels & coal to liquids. Increased sea levels will again require increased industrialization to mitigate the problems caused by that. More refugees again will require higher levels of industrialization.

There will be hardship and economic costs associated with all of the above but it will hardly lead to "the collapse of industrial civilization". Just the opposite. it is due to corruption that we are letting these events progress unnecessarily. Although we will be able to mitigate the problems created, it would be far cheaper, far easier and far more humane if we would work these problems right now before they get out of hand. Again corruption is what is holding us back.

• Get off the fence Thom   13 hours 34 min ago

I see you've given up any pretense of being here for rational argumentation and taken to naked trolling.

• Example Of The Old Fairness Doctrine At Work: CBS Spectrum 1972   13 hours 41 min ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Argument by platitude? How was reporting that covered more than one side of a story a bad thing? How was offering other voices a chance to respond to editorials a bad thing?

You AGAIN betray your only true agenda... you want broadcasters to be free to mislead and lie with impunity just as you do by letting right wing billionaires try to buy elections.

A great idea in theory, in practice not so much. The idea of government deciding what views are valid and what views are not is a bad idea.

If you have to lie and distort to make a point, you really haven't made a point.

As I said, your pretense that the scarcity argument is no longer a problem is a smokescreen. As is your bullsh*t the government was deciding what views were "valid". In the year that we looked, 1976, at... 1/2 of 1% showed any government actions. All other cases were dealt with between broadcasters and the public. You're again lying about the FCCs policy. Their clear intent was NOT to pick sides... but to try and get the broadcasters to act in good faith not to propagandize one side or another in an effort they broadcast in the public interest. And of course you're AGAIN ignoring the fact that without the Fairness Doctrine the public would have NO leverage. But then you never wanted to public to have a voice. If you did, you'd at least have supported the FD in that era of limited broadcast licenses.

So, in the end... all we're going to do is go around in circles because you'll never admit your real agenda... and all your posts are designed to hide it... that it's perfectly fine if corporations rule the air waves and the big money on the right tries to buy elections.

• Hillary Concedes New Hampshire: Bernie 59% Clinton 40%   14 hours 26 min ago

If Sanders were to win a clear majority of delegates, it's unlikely the superdelegates would give Clinton the nomination anyway. A much bigger concern for Sanders is winning Nevada, South Carolina and the 10+ Super Tuesday states.

• Federal Matching Funds Presidential Elections   14 hours 29 min ago

It's my understanding (based on a Jill Stein quote and not any research on my part) that it only takes getting 5% of the popular vote in order for the party of the candidate to receive federal matching funds in the following election.

• Someone Added Up The Money The Rich Have In Offshore Accounts — Prepare To Vomit   14 hours 34 min ago
    Quote Kilosqrd: Along with school breakfast and school dinner. Even during the summer months when school isn't in session.

Not that your word is shit, but if you are going to say something we'll need refs. If it is true, and only a few places no doubt. Then it still leaves a dark stain on the country thinking that kids having 3 meals a day is justification for deadbeats stashing 32 trillion in offshore accounts.

Quote Kilosqrd: But it isn't about feeding children.

How pray tell are school lunch programs not about feeding the children? Not that stealing taxes on 32 Trillion is justifiable for any reason. They, as noted and troll dodged by you. Tear up the infrastructure when making those profits. Why shouldn't they pay the same as any worker? Welfare Queens are now a GOP pride and joy. Polluted rivers and outsourced jobs for larger profits to hide. I guess if you don't see it there is no point in splainin it lucy. You are just a lapdog dirtbag and part of the stain.

Quote Kilosqrd: But it isn't about feeding children.

It isn't exclusively about feeding children. Getting them off the streets is also something that could be done. Affordable health care and housing is another. All the things you seem to hate Americans for. You got yours screw everyone else. Then go to your patriotic stance of how great the country is. I really can't find a place dark and dank enough to place you Kilosqrd. Like a selfish kid who needs an ass whoopin for acting like a spoiled rich brat.

Quote Kilosqrd: It's to keep the SIEU (aka the unions) employed during the off season so-to-speak.

Since I've established your word is shit you will have to bring references to this red herring nonsense too. How does a malnutrition kid you advocate as a necessary expenditure for your bossman to stash his cash have to do with Unions? Unions are becoming corporatized the same as the Neocons. Fighting for cops right to eliminate brutality charges or shooting innocent kids of color. Fighting for war toy makers right to bomb poor Colombian farmers with Monsanto making a huge buck on the deal. Sickening display of weakness. I personally have always felt working was the easiest way to get through life and the hardest job I ever had was being unemployed. I've always paid my taxes even if I felt they were counter productive for me. Something your parents should have taught you about work ethics instead of giving you anything you whined about. I blame them, you're just a victim of them being conceited.

Quote Kilosqrd: No accountability from parents. The state will take care of everyone.

No accountability from Bush losing a pallet full of cash in Iraq or even sending troops in the first place. None for the two trillion bankster bailout or the trillion spent on the fabricated scam of a drug war. But food going for kids is your high priority and excuse for deadbeat companies? Sick sick sick. Parents have no jobs since the Mill went to India, but the point is you would sacrafice the kids because your warped mind hates their parents for not having a job in a one factory town? Most are poor whites in rural areas btw. The same idiots voting for GOP greed.

Are you suggesting the unaccountable parents should have had abortions? Or is it just the thought of the kids being sick and under nourished that turns you on? You're one sick puppy Kilosqrd. $32 trillion not circulated back into society and you side with them over American kids health. that sum it up Kilosqrd? Your profits have spoken while the Prophets roll over in their graves.

• Hillary Concedes New Hampshire: Bernie 59% Clinton 40%   14 hours 58 min ago

"But, what about electability? She's more electable!!! Given the polls and the counted votes, I'm not sure the electability argument still holds water."

Listening to her post mortem speech, I don't think she really gets it. She's been so insulated for so long stuck in the "in crowd" of Washington cronies that she's lost touch. The old saws that come out of lifelong politicians' mouths just don't fly anymore. She just keeps going back to them, raising her voice in a crescendo and waiting for the applause. It's old. It's trite and it's getting to be insulting to our intelligence.

• Pauper’s Index   14 hours 58 min ago
    Quote Zenzoe:

• Percentage of charitable givers among people making $25,000 or less: 16.6%

• Among people (liberal or conservative) making $200,000 or more: -4.5%

You should look at your link again.

• How bad a deal is SS?   15 hours 23 min ago

To go back to the OP's original point. Maybe The US should just go to the Canadian version of SS.

• Flint   15 hours 45 min ago
    Quote Zenzoe:

In any case, few of us reach anything close to our full human potential, and most of us slip up in one way or another, don’t you think?

What I consider my own practice of humanism involves an effort to reach of state of equilibrium with all my human potential. I don't really imagine, let alone expect I'll ever achieve that state. It's a voyage, a life's journey if you will, without the expectation of ever arriving. As it is, I'm constantly trying to adjust one thing or another to get things back in balance. If I was cursed with an urge to achieve perfection I would be a very frustrated human.

I also see that my standards of humane balance, or I could call it ecological equilibrium, are not necessarily the same as anyone else's. Same as my standards of reasonableness. If the rest of the human made world was reasonable in the way I am inclined to be, everyone would put sustainability practice and concern for the environment and what our activities do to diminish it above their own selfish acquisitional needs. If that were the case, I imagine, in all my feeble potential to imagine a world that works perfectly, that a Flint crisis of this sort would never come to be.

Quote Zenzoe:

And that brings me to what feels irrational about such false values, in contradiction to the claims of right-wing libertarian’s ownership of “reason.” I refuse to give it to them. To equate reason with “objectivity” or detached, logical (based on flawed premises), anal fixations, denies practical reality —how empathetic cooperation produces a humane, fulfilled potential both for the self and society, while “objective,” crimped self-interest produces harm to both the self and society— and it would be irrational to choose the latter, when the former works best for all.

Like I just said, my standards of reasonableness appear to be of a very different order than many if not most other people's in our culture. People like Derrick Jensen seem to have a sense of reasonableness similar to mine. That's nice. As far as giving others their right to claim an abbreviated, short term and often myopic version of reason I tend to find dangerous to us all, as these decisions in the Flint water delivery system have turned out to be, I am not a dictator. Unlike G.W. Bush, I wouldn't even jokingly propose that things would be a lot easier if I were. I don't believe that because I also hold a strong notion that no single one of us is qualified for that all knowing position. Thus, I am well aware that I am in no position to tell other people how to think nor am I in a position to enforce my beliefs on them.

So I can only claim my reasoning for myself and work my life as best I can with it, and stand my ground when someone tells me my reasoning is silly and insufficient. Which happens often enough. I can vote if I don't like the managers that get into these positions, and I can hope there is someone with reasoning that approaches mine to vote for. Whoopee. I cannot do much at all to prevent those who differ from me in so many ways from doing what they want through the rule-by-law logical, reasonable legal structure that permits private institutions to do what they do within that logical, rational structure.

Of course I am still permitted to do things like call them sociopaths, psychopaths, heartless pricks, and other names until some of them get laws in place that are designed to shut me up.

Quote Zenzoe:

But see how the emotion of fear drives their thought processes. Fear is the driving characteristic, therefore, not reason. Reasonable, sane reason would have protected them from putting themselves in a fearful position in the first place. But no...they just had to be bastards!

That brings up a question I've never been able to answer. Can reason even be a driving force? Or is it only a tool? That is, one of our human capacities. I suspect -- and strongly so -- that reason is a response to something else. I am hesitant to identify what that might be, because it may be beyond logical, reasonable description. If it's a response to a vaguely characterizable loving and caring about the entire planet we live on, it would likely be different than a response to subjective, self-based fear of some sort, like fear of punishment for making a mistake. But I can't prove any of that. I can at best make some reasonable arguments, as plenty of others have, most far better arguments than any of mine.

• Hillary Concedes New Hampshire: Bernie 59% Clinton 40%   15 hours 49 min ago

Despite winning by 21 points the amount of delegates coming out of New Hampshire is the same....

I think the Democratic party is going to have to change their name.

• Should Hillary Have Been The Democratic Candidate in 08? She Won More Votes   15 hours 51 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

We all know that Obama was the victor in the 08 Democratic primaries... but that was in the delegate count. Hillary Clinton actually received more votes than Obama.

Obama Clinton

Popular vote 17,584,692 17,857,501

Percentage 47.31% 48.04%

More proof that the Democratic Party cares little about democracy?

So what would Hillary have done in Jan 09 if faced with the same economic crisis that Obama faced?

Actually, if you compare what Obama said as a candidate to what his Administration did, it almost seems to me like she was the one sworn in in 2009.

• The Big Picture & The Thom Hartmann Program "On Air" Questions or Comments for Thom?   16 hours 21 min ago

Hello Thom,

thanks for your defense on the whole minority vote paranoia that I keep hearing and reading about everywhere. We as a whole are not automatically for Hillary, we can make our own decisions. I am a young hispanic and can say that for my part that within my family and friends we love Bernie. And its frusterating to hear the assumptions. I think the greatest thing that I can do is talk with my friends and share on social media who Bernie is and why i like him and just be open to have a discussion. Just doing that in itself is powerful. So thank you Thom!

• Hillary Concedes New Hampshire: Bernie 59% Clinton 40%   16 hours 31 min ago

A razor thin victory in Iowa and getting shellacked in NH and she has 394 delgates and Bernie has 42. The what-a-cratic party?

• Example Of The Old Fairness Doctrine At Work: CBS Spectrum 1972   16 hours 48 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:
    Quote gumball:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Gummie evades this question too

Quote ulTRAX:And knowing that the US media's market model has failed to better inform the US public compared to other nations... have you yet provided ANY ideas how that can change for the better?
    How many times do I have to say it is not the governments job to regulate political speech? That the cure is worse than the disease?

• Hillary Concedes New Hampshire: Bernie 59% Clinton 40%   16 hours 48 min ago

CNN Poll on "Honesty and Trustworthiness" in a candidate showed Senator Bernie Sanders scoring 91% among Democratic primary voters.

• Example Of The Old Fairness Doctrine At Work: CBS Spectrum 1972   16 hours 49 min ago

I was 11 in 1987, I didn't even know about it.

• The Problem of the Establishment   16 hours 49 min ago

Trump says he's not part of the political establishment. Of course he is! He's the very backbone of it, he funds it!

He bragged about how he bought so many politicians who can never contradict him or say or do anything or even think anything that might upset him. Follow the money to the top of the political establishment and you'll find Donald Trump and some others.

• the tocqueville effect- reason Bernie is winning   16 hours 52 min ago

Many good points made (though I disagree with the notion that hindsight is required to know Obama's presidency was going to disappoint leftists). But Clinton is still a heavy favorite to win the nomination.

• Why Does Thom Cite DU Posts And The Chat Room... But Not His Forum?   16 hours 53 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

Thom just did it again.

Maybe he ignores this forum for the same reason he screens calls. So that he can avoid being directly confronted by us over his bipolar defense of Hillary Clinton's crimes?

• Hillary Concedes New Hampshire: Bernie 59% Clinton 40%   17 hours 7 min ago

And then there's the misogyny. And the racism. As if the empty, incoherent rhetoric wasn't enough. Trump is a candidate for President of the United States, and people are actually voting for him. It's surreal.

Santorum, Hucakabee, Carson, Cruz and Fiorina are also batshit crazy, but none of them actually have a chance of becoming the nominee. Edit: I guess Cruz has a chance, but the others never did.

• Example Of The Old Fairness Doctrine At Work: CBS Spectrum 1972   17 hours 11 min ago
    Quote gumball:

You are missing the point, regulating the political content of radio and TV broadcasts is a dated concept. The media landscape has changed dramatically since the FD. To suggest that there is a lack of access to varying opinions is absurd. There are thousands of podcasts and streams readily available.

So this means you supported the Fairness Doctrine before it was abolished in 1987?

OF COURSE NOT. You're just looking for some figleaf to hide your agenda.

• Example Of The Old Fairness Doctrine At Work: CBS Spectrum 1972   17 hours 13 min ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Gummie evades this question too

• Example Of The Old Fairness Doctrine At Work: CBS Spectrum 1972   17 hours 16 min ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Gummie evades this question too

Again ZERO ideas. Obviously it's as I've said... you want an ignorant public susceptible to corporate and right wing propaganda.