Recent comments

• 10,000 Scientists VS. The Bible   1 day 9 hours ago

Dude you have provided no science. Just more gossip making false claims. Nothing about feeding the hungry, that has been explained as bullshit. Nothing about safety or long term studies that you claim and make false claims as if they were true. Then continue building your straw man from there. Not out of concern for the hungry, just to bash democrats you seem to fear more than Monsanto. Same as basing cannabis with the CSA even though there is no science putting it there. You claim it will save the hungry and then blame democrats for Wall St. corporations and banksters defaults as the reason for the hunger. Thats beyond ignorance.

Bring the proof and I will still not use GMO anything as it is my choice. If you want to feed the hungry, all I say is label the crap so we can decide for ourselves. Then explain how to feed the hungry when it cost more to use GMO? Oh I know those pesky questions interrupt your advertisment. Are republicans afraid of citizens making choices? They definably don't want women making them on their own bodies. Or Trans or Gays choices. Or let sick people make a choice of using cannabis. Or healthy people using a safer alternative than booze or pills with Ganja. Seems choice is not in your cards goper. Just a groupie for a big tax eating nanny state going into peoples bedrooms and medicine cabinets.

Yes I have a definite dislike for Monsanto. Not hate. I believe both hate and love are abnormal conditions of temporary insanity, outside of the parameters of sanity somewhere in-between them. I try to keep clear of them. So I don't hate them for Agent Orange killing millions long term. Or their fake sugars or DDT, dioxins or pcbs. I want them locked up and the key thrown away to bring justice to the victims, not hate. I want their bank accounts added to the victims health care. I want their crap removed from the store shelves and I want the guilty brought to justice for siding with profits and poisons over people. But I don't hate them or anyone, not even you.

Say What? A Republican Just Introduced a Bill to End the Federal Prohibition of Marijuana

• Why does GOP hate Americans?   1 day 10 hours ago

The more relevant question might be "Why do much of the world's peoples hate the Unied States?"

I submitted this as a blog post but it never made it past the censors. Maybe as a comment???

While exercising this morning I watched wall-to-wall CNN coverage of the “terrorist” attack in London’s parliament district that killed one person (now 3 or 4) and injured others. Somehow, though, I missed CNN’s wall-to-wall coverage of the latest US-led coalition’s air strike on a Syrian school sheltering some 50 families, an attack that killed more than 30 people and that some might also consider rather terrorist than not. I could be wrong, of course, but it’s entirely possible that the two incidents are related. Perhaps an objective press would have afforded them equal coverage or even - based on the body count - perhaps 10 times more coverage for the Syrians? But, then, who am I?

******

US-led coalition air strike in Syria kills more than 30 people in school near Isis-held Raqqa, says human rights watchdog
    Activist group says the school was sheltering around 50 families when it was levelled

UNQUOTE

******
    Pardon my temerity but I have to ask: Why, and with what license, is the u.S. bombing Syria? And why are the u.S. led folks now bombing schools rather than hospitals as the u.S. has done in the recent past?

There’s more on Internet for the inquisitive…for instance:

WAR CORRESPONDENTS DESCRIBE RECENT U.S. AIRSTRIKES IN IRAQ, SYRIA, AND YEMEN

Malak Habbak

March 22 2017, 3:58 p.m.

SENTIMENT IN WASHINGTON may not reflect that the U.S. is at war, but two war correspondents described the astonishing extent and toll of recent U.S. military strikes in Iraq, Syria and Yemen on Intercepted, the weekly podcast by The Intercept’s Jeremy Scahill.

In Iraq, U.S. forces are helping Iraqi and Kurdish soldiers in their months-long battle to drive ISIS out of western Mosul. As many as 600,000 civilians are trapped there, amid widespread hunger and destruction, and more than 1,000 civilians were killed or injured last month in Iraq.

“There are American special forces on the ground but much more important than that is U.S. airpower, without which the Iraqi forces would not be able to get very far,” explained author and journalist Anand Gopal.

“And they’ve been hitting pretty much everything in sight and there’s been an extraordinary number of civilian casualties — just kind of gone through the roof in the last couple of months especially coming into Mosul.”

UNQUOTE

And just below I’ve pasted the final paragraphs of a Tom Engelhardt essay but for the full affect I suggest clicking on the link and starting at the beginning. Below this I’ve pasted the initial lines of an item from Google News that might not seem related but that, I believe, is.

And yet, despite the best efforts of the last two administrations, secrecy has its limits. We should already know more than enough to be horrified by the state of our American world. It should disturb us deeply that a government of, by, and for the war-makers, intelligence operatives, bureaucrats, privatizing mercenary corporations, surveillers, torturers, and assassins is thriving in Washington. As for the people -- that’s us -- in these last years, we largely weren’t there, even as the very idea of a government of, by, and for us bit the dust, and our leaders felt increasingly unconstrained when committing acts of shame in our name.

So perhaps the last overlooked anniversary of these years might be the 12th anniversary of American cowardice. You can choose the exact date yourself; anytime this fall will do. At that moment, Americans should feel free to celebrate a time when, for our “safety,” and in a state of anger and paralyzing fear, we gave up the democratic ghost.

The brave thing, of course, would have been to gamble just a little of our safety -- as we do any day when we get into a car -- for the kind of world whose anniversaries we would actually be proud to mark on a calendar and celebrate.

Among the many truths in that still-to-be-written secret history of our American world would be this: we the people have no idea just how, in these years, we’ve hurt ourselves.

UNQUOTE
    ******
    And just the lead paragraphs from the other…

The Forces Driving Middle-Aged White People's 'Deaths Of Despair'
    March 23, 20175:00 AM ET
    Heard on Morning Edition
    JESSICA BODDY

In 2015, when researchers Ann Case and Angus Deaton discovered that death rates had been rising dramatically since 1999 among middle-aged white Americans, they weren't sure why people were dying younger, reversing decades of longer life expectancy.

Now the husband-and-wife economists say they have a better understanding of what's causing these "deaths of despair" by suicide, drugs and alcohol.

UNQUOTE

• Why does GOP hate Americans?   1 day 11 hours ago

“There are two things that are important in politics,” Mark Hanna, the great Republican kingmaker of the late 19th century, once said. “The first thing is money, and I can’t remember what the second one is.”

Remember the 'golden rule, he who has the money rules.' Special interests who want more wealth than they already have and are willing to share that wealth with the politicians who helped make it all happen. Corporations rule government rather than the other way around.

Think about what honest politicians have to face once they're elected. Their salaries although by US standards quite high after tax , might leave a little over one hundred thousand dollars, this while trying to compete incumbant millionaires. Corporations hang out carrots to politicians , promises of lucritive high paying jobs once they leave office, IF they play ball. Billionaires like the Koch brothers promise millions of dollars in support for the opposition, using threats of carpet bombing the state with negative advertising.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy noted in his opinion that no evidence was marshaled in 100,000 pages of legal briefs to show that unrestricted campaign money ever bought a lawmaker’s vote. The system is so corrupt that it makes it almost impossible to compete.

• Daily Topics - Thursday March 23rd, 2017   1 day 12 hours ago

Schummer has just proven the old adage "Stupid can't be fixed", by calling on Democrats to filibuster the Gorsuch nomination. According to pools, a majority of Americans favor the approval of Judge Gorsuch. If necessary, the Republicans will change the Senate rules, to allow Judge Gorsuch to be confirmed with 51 votes (nuclear option). That change would be for this Supreme Court appointment and everyone in the future. Some will bitch and complain about the change, but in the end, Gorsuch will be confirmed and the rule change will be forgotten. The stupid part about this is Gorsuch is a conservative replacing a conservative. The next justice to be replaced, in all probability will be either Justice Kennedy, or Justice Ginsberg. If Republicans are forced to use the "nuclear option", this time, it will be impossible to stop them from using it again and again. The difference being, folks are less likely to oppose it's use. Opposing The Gorsuch nomination, pretty much guarantees the appointment of two more conservative justices. Future decisions won't be 5-4, but 6-3. In the words of Dirty Harry, the Republicans are thinking of Schummer and the Democrats, "Go ahead, make my day".

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   1 day 12 hours ago

Online shopping is probably the only reason the US Postal Office still works full time. A note to the washed up lefties, "It's not the 60's anymore".

• Why does GOP hate Americans?   1 day 12 hours ago

The GOP doesn't hate Americans in general. Just those who are not "blessed and highly favored" to be wealthy enough to keep earning money "the old fashioned way," (living off of other people's money, sweat, blood and years working for shit wages so their bosses could live more freely to demonstrate all the wonders that the American capitalist system has to offer ... er, for them and their like minded, or like-highly favored and blessed classes.

Oh, if life could only be just like the charmed existence for the lords n' ladies of Downton Abbey or our newly created class of American crassness in gated communities across the land. Well, not everybody living behind the gates is so crass, but damn, the numbers of the people with the "I've got mine, sorry for you..." 'tude; sadly that's rising.

It's not hatred in the kind of red-hot, or worse, white-hot emotional sense. In some respects it can be worse. There's always indifference, inherited, drilled in, or worse, embraced as one rises up the food train.

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   1 day 13 hours ago

I'm with Rasa and DHBranski (above).

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   1 day 14 hours ago

I live in a very rural area, and Amazon has been a godsend. In my mind, Amazon consists of some very large warehouses and a UPS driver. I know the UPS driver, and he is well paid with good benefits. JC Penney on the other hand, consists of acres of blacktop parking, huge mall buildings contributing to urban sprawl and poorly paid employees with few if any benefits. I like Amazon's reviews and their easy return policy.

Is Amazon so much different than Sears and the other catalog stores of 100 years ago, when they were the only real source of goods for rural America?

• 10,000 Scientists VS. The Bible   1 day 14 hours ago
    Quote k. allen:

... if all you folks want to do is tear each other down ..., who cleans up the mess?

Let the crows and coyotes do the clean up. They do a pretty decent job,

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   1 day 16 hours ago

Amazon is to brick and mortar as Walmart was to locally owned grocery, department, and hardware stores. As Bezos scoops up the market his model will dramatically raise prices. The enormous amount of landfill waste the packaging creates is a whole other topic.

• Why Trump's Electronics Ban is a Masterpiece of Fearmongering...   1 day 17 hours ago

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 18.0px Helvetica}

GLORIOUS TIMES {a rhyme and a note}

Our nation is heading at last toward glory,

in this Trump-era chapter of history’s story.

He leads us with gorgeous oratory

to blissful days all hunky-dory,

in every way quite laudatory.

Let’s not let this era be transitory,

but forever entrenched in our repertory.

- - - {Note to my agent: - Please lobby the National Endowment for the Arts to include me in their budget.}

===================================

• 10,000 Scientists VS. The Bible   1 day 18 hours ago

Why do progressives hate the poor and hungry people in the world? Why? I thought progressives championed themselves as defenders of the defenseless (except when it comes to unborn children, but thats another issue), the poor, the hungry, the homeless.

Why do progressives, supposedly the party of science, deny the scientific facts supporting the use of GMO foods? Why do progressives hate hungry people? I guess DdC hates Monsanto more than he cares about feeding the hungry. I can come to no other conclusion as the science supporting GMO foods is just as solid (and probably more so) than any science supporting climate change.

Why do progressives hate science and why do they hate the hungry? What has happened to the democratic party in this country?

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   1 day 19 hours ago

I've never thought of Amazon as a job killer. It's a good research tool for evaluating products I'm considering buying locally. Every thing you buy on line is manufactured, warehoused, shipped, received, warehoused, advertised, sold, and shipped again. But, if I can hold something in my hand before I buy it, that store will get my business. Amazon is my backup.

• 10,000 Scientists VS. The Bible   1 day 21 hours ago

Thanks, rs. I'll see what I can do ... I think Ella Fitzgerald and the big band sound are like a ripened vine at harvest time already too full for anything else to grow there ... it's a stand alone ... kind of like "Blue Skies ... nothin' but Blue Skies, all day long ..."

Where are the clouds in this song ...?

Long gone ... for a minute ...,

What holds the rainbow there ... for a moment, or more ...?

Besides, I don't do love songs ... you know how, if you really want to sing a song, you have to live it. Right? For me now, it is - and must be - universal love. I don't like to deify man any more than I want to personify divinity.

So, OK, though ...

OVER THE RAINBOW with Israel "12" Kamakawiwo'ole

... is really sweet! He reminds me of Maui ((shapeshifter, demigod of the wind and sea, hero of men)) in the movie Moana.

Here's another version in a different key that might ring true:

... ok, so that could play in and through "IMAGINE" as a foundational progression ((a bit sleepy all by itself ... still, the dream _is_ alive)):

... and, I found a piece of silk golden thread to stitch it together:

... it could work.

I'll put it into the tumbler and see what turns up.

OK, now, I need to tune out.

• Republican effort to destroy ObamaCare   1 day 21 hours ago

It is back to the drawing board for a Republican healthcare plan. 8 years was not enough time to have generated a replacement plan. Let's see what else they can cut. Seems that the Koch Brothers are determined to cut more. They are threatening financial support to those that vote yes. Maybe a bolt of lightening should strike them down. Billionaires vs Billionaires, World Wide Wrestling with bribes.

• Why Trump's Electronics Ban is a Masterpiece of Fearmongering...   1 day 22 hours ago

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 18.0px Helvetica}

MANIACALLY TITANIC - {a rhyme}

Isn’t it time to panic?

The Right is frighteningly manic

under leadership frightening, {insane} insanic, -

- which steers our Ship of State

to a frightening disastrous fate.

Shall we call our nation the “Titanic”?

=============================

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   1 day 22 hours ago

Sears was the original Amazon with the Sears Catalog. It just did not see the computer as a way of shopping like Amazon did.

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   1 day 22 hours ago

I suppose that's what's called progress. I doubt anything will happen to slow online shopping. It's not just Amazon, there are many other online stores, Where people can get a lower price, that's where they'll shop weather it's at a foreign car dealership or Walmart, where they can get a lower price. People are basically selfish and generally not patriotic when it comes to shopping. Robots and automation are replacing workers too, and that's worldwide. The question is, what are the displaced workers going to do? This is not new. Tractors that disk, plow, plant, fertilize, spray for bugs and blight, and harvest replaced a lot of farm workers. People will have to find other things to do. If all jobs were automated there would be no-one with money to buy what the machines are producing and it may come to something like the crash of 1929 only much worse and worldwide. However there are many jobs that can't be totally automated and someone will have to setup and repair and maintain the machines. I believe it will all work out.

• Is Trump's Infrastructure Plan More Welfare For Giant Corporations Or A Great Stimulus?   2 days 28 min ago

Infrastructure jobs overwhelmingly go to middle class men, those who are already comparatively well-off. Tragically, it is the only idea the US has had for decades, as the overall quality of life in the US went from being rated at #1 when Reagan was first elected, down to #48 by the time Obama was elected.

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   2 days 32 min ago

Anti-trust laws were, shall we say, amended, starting with Reagan's deregulation mania.

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   2 days 38 min ago

No, I believe it's too late. Since the 1980s, we have evolved into a corporate state. As galling as the realization is, we no longer have any power whatsoever over US corporations. They are international entities today, not dependent on US consumers or workers. Because the US has been on a downhill slide since the 1980s, US consumers, while useful, simply aren't as important anymore. Boycotts by US consumers barely make a dent, and corporations know that such boycotts are very limited and short-term. US consumers are not motivated by causes, but by costs and availability.

• How Republicans Quietly Sabotaged Obamacare Long Before Trump Came into Office   2 days 1 hour ago

I called in to discuss Trump & China & trademarks...I wanted to share the link to the article I referenced. I hope you see this: https://qz.com/930896/a-curious-timeline-of-trademarks-granted-to-donald-trump-by-an-increasingly-helpful-china/ AND https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/517458/

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   2 days 1 hour ago

I view Amazon differently. Having owned a small publishing firm since the 1980s, I see Amazon as a positive element to retailing. In the good old days, small bookstores treated publishers and customers with great respect. Most of these were displaced by chain stores that served neither serious readers nor publishers well. The chains ordered one copy per store, and if that copy didn't happen to sell in 90 days, back it would be sent, coffee stains and cookie crumbs included, at the publisher's expense, along with an order for a clean copy.

For those true booklovers who hate to see the abuse of books, it has been rather refreshing to see the chains replaced by Amazon, whose retail practices are at least honest and forthright: give the customer as much information as possible to make a wise choice and offer as wide a range a possible. For book purchases (or book sales)--Amazon's original mission--I have absolutely no complaints. I fully believe that at least the same number of jobs are involved with the sale of my books by Amazon as by a major chain, from delivery services to warehouse personnel to Amazon's other employees.

• Daily Topics - Tuesday March 21st, 2017   2 days 2 hours ago

I am looking for that list as well. Have you found it?

• Is Amazon the #1 Threat To Jobs?   2 days 2 hours ago

A. Everyone is to blame!! Amazon for not paying taxes > If you don't own a building you still pay rent for a virtual one online. The brick and mortar stores are also at fault. Idiot managers only carry mainstream items. If you want something like a raincoat, good luck finding one.

B. When all the stores have closed. Try putting on a pair of shoes you like or a shirt. It's not going to work is it?? Think of how many thousand items you saw, and tried on, and put back on that shelf.. That car you like? Are you going to fit comfortably in it? Does it drive the way you want it to? You'll never know by looking at it on the Web.. You decide how good the future is going to be by the way you purchase things.

Can We Trust Gorsuch On Women's Rights?

Yesterday Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer signaled that Senate Democrats would try to filibuster Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch.