Recent comments

• Thom on Democracy: SUPPORT THE ANTIDEMOCRATIC ELECTORAL COLLEGE!!!   11 hours 5 sec ago
    Quote mdhess:

EVASION ALERT: so I'll ask AGAIN

So what's your ridiculous claim this time?

That Thom has NEVER come out in support of the EC? Odd since I've heard him more than once say he favors it.

Or that the EC has never overturned the results of an election even if Election 2000 is fresh in our minds?

Where in THIS thread is this 'flawed opinion" of which you speak?

Quote mdhess:As for your demand that I answer your "DIRECT QUESTIONS" (love the authoritative bold by the way dear) -- we're not in high school and I'm not being graded. I will however remind you that direct representation alone does not guarantee democratic governance as I illustrated. You are quick to dismiss any opinon that isn't your own without bothering to provide the argument --
    More of your dishonest claims? I DID provide the best argument... that OTHER nations with democratic governments HAVE done much better in the area of reforming capitalism as an exploitative economic system and creating a robust safety net. YOU are the one who ignored that point and rushed to talk about Indonesia. If you can't make a point without gross distortions and evasions... you really haven't made a point... have you Fluffy?

Quote mdhess:as you did with my suggestion that gerrymandering was perhaps the more appropriate place to begin when it comes to advocating for a more democratic system. Your response of "Abolishing gerrymandering alone will do little to deal with the main defects of a first past the post system that maintains our two party system... let alone all the other defects" ignores the fact that competetiveness drives innovation, broadens the debate and necessitates responsiveness to citizen, rather than partisan, concerns.
    More evasions? OF COURSE I oppose gerrymandering. BUT IT'S NOT A CONSTITUTIONAL MATTER. It's a STATE matter.

YOU SAID SO YOURSELF IN POST 9

There are a lot of things that can be done on a state by state basis -- preventing gerrymandering (take it out of the hands of partisans) --

Quote mdhess:

Ground games within a dysfunctional and braindead two party system ARE NOT CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUES. Sadly, you seem unable to focus on the topic.

Quote mdhess:First one must realize that structural reform of the Senate, not elimination of it, is the viable option and then realize its reform is best approached as an ultimate goal, not an immediatley achievable goal.
    Pray tell Einstein... WHERE HAVE I EVER SAID I WANT TO ELIMINATE THE SENATE? Put up or retract. What I want is for the Senate to become a national body based on PR... and for the House to represent local interests.

When I suggested the Senate become PR based, YOU are the one who suggested that

the idea of making the Senate a proportionally representative body would only create a secondary House of Representatives.

Quote mdhess:So long as the existing power dynamic doesn't change Congressional structure won't likely change and so the power dynamic is the first concern, which is what I began arguing way back when -- pragmatism rather than pie-in-the-sky.
    What's pie in the sky? The idea that we can EVER make federal system democratic? Of course once you declare it so.. then it that conveniently shuts down all attempts to develop a long term strategy to accomplish those reforms. If people in the past believed that they might never have worked on other issues of social justice like women's suffrage or the abolition of slavery. Luckily for us, they worked for what was morally right and the obstacles be damned. And back in the 70's when the far right began its coordinated strategy to take over the US... did they think it was pie in the sky to install right wing Neanderthals in the judiciary, build up a network of right wing think tanks, build up a right wing propaganda media empire, sabotage unions, sabotage the fiscal health of the nation hoping to undermine safety net programs, and make the system work mostly for the rich?

Your bottom line is you oppose most TRUE democratic reforms to our federal system and believe bandaids will suffice. But you also refuse to admit the obvious, which is why you evade all attempts to get you to clarify the principles you believe in.

• KY clerk   11 hours 28 min ago

I'm not Christian. Is perfection a prerequisite to being one?

• Blackism: Straight From The Horse’s (Monkey’s) Mouth; or “My Black Won’t Rub Off” (Part III, Conclusion)   11 hours 33 min ago

To get respect you have to start from respect gmo. So far the only respect the black man has recieved is the right to vote, not to have to sit at the back of the bus and not to need separate drinking fountains. Thanks.

If you won't excuse me for studying you very closely upon a meeting it's your problem not mine.

• Thomas Edison Was Right About Solar Power   11 hours 36 min ago

Does your calculation take into account the cleanup of nuclear disasters? Or the cost of green when green technology can be expected to improve if resources were allocated to green?

RE: "So we are paying ~6X more for ~1/4 the energy by going wind & solar rather than nuclear."

• The Obvious Problems With Thom's "Get The Base Out" Theory...   11 hours 38 min ago
    Quote mdhess:

I stated that the Contitution was built on an economic model so as to protect that model and your response was "But you're conflating cause and effect." The cause was to protect an economic model that allowed a landed gentry to persist and the effect was just that. The Constitution did not create an American autocratic class, it only defended it. You are trying to have it both ways by agreeing that the Constitution was created to protect inequity and arguing that it is the cause of inequity. Which is it? Pick one.

More attempts to divert attention from your defense of such a system? YOU are the one who wants to condemn what you consider the origins of the system... economics. I believe states rights and distrust of the People played even stronger roles... balanced with the intent of creating social stability, protecting rights, and having a fiscally sound government. All one has to do is read the minutes of the Philadelphia Convention, the federalist papers and the ratification debates to see those other concerns.

But be that as it may... you're stuck in another of your contradictions that you seem to disapprove of the Constitution as a political system, and yet defend not reforming it on the laughable grounds that democratic reforms can't be trusted. Which is why you EVADE my question to look at nations with democratic systems to see if they've had better luck putting a chokechain on corporations and instead raise the specter of dictatorship and mass murder in Indonesia based on ONE aspect of their system.

So when are you just going to come out and admit what is obviously just another of your contradictions ... that you disapprove of what you call a tyrannical economic system and presumably the political system that created it... yet also OPPOSE reforms that would make the political system democratic and might FINALLY be able to reform the economic system.

The idea that you will ever show any ideological consistency is laughable. But then as we know from past threads... you're quite adept at papering over your contradictions.. at least in your own mind and find it quite easy to delude yourself that you are consistent. And one of the main ways you accomplish this Orwellian feat is by trying to make your evasion of direct questions sound respectable... such as you do next...

As I said... the more someone tries to pin your down on your contradictions, the more you become like sleazy quicksilver trying to protect them.

• Thomas Edison Was Right About Solar Power   11 hours 48 min ago

I'm skeptical using wind for power changes weather patterns. Are scientists saying this?

• Thomas Edison Was Right About Solar Power   11 hours 51 min ago

Yeah, but nuking will be because of war for oil.

• Blackism: Straight From The Horse’s (Monkey’s) Mouth; or “My Black Won’t Rub Off” (Part III, Conclusion)   12 hours 5 min ago

Easy enough for you to say Alice, you have been cleared by the wrongdoing of being born white. I don't believe that I am part of this deep wound but more importantly, with no knowledge of me or anything about me I have been lumped in with all of the "white folks" in his tirade. Just because he has befriended a few palefaces does not make up for prejudging everyone else based on the color of their skin as he clearly did in his post. When some white person claims he can be a racist because "he has a black friend", do we accept that as an answer? No, nor should we accept that. When I am judged for the color of my skin and not as an individual then I do think I have something to worry about and I'm not sure how the original post can be read any other way.

And no patriot, that doesn't help, I already had proper perspective and it is just what you said. I am "white folks" I am not smug about the color of my skin and have never expected to be repected for my "whiteness". I'm an individual, not an entire society, I have no say in how society is built. I don't expect repect based on the color of my skin and it is clear that none is given here but I also don't care for disrespect based on the color of my skin, that is very very ugly.

I have a whole lot of trouble believing the posters in this thread would put up with it if the original post was a white poster singling out black people based on the color of their skin. Like it or not it is racism when you treat people differently based on the color of their skin and it is also very condescending to allow that from one group and not from another. I will continue to criticize my fellow “white folks” when the treat people differently based on skin tone so it would be condescending not to do the same with my black friends. Why should I expect more out of white people than black people? I don’t because they are all individuals and should be treated that way. It is very much coming from a place of repect that I have serious criticisms of the original post. I expect more from all people.

• Scott Walkers Fence   12 hours 14 min ago

Thanks Dexterous for helping me make my point. Canada elects a conservative Prime Minister and the country goes to hell in a hand basket. We on the other hand, elect a Democratic President and unemployment is cut in half and the stock market doubles in value.

• Scott Walkers Fence   13 hours 1 min ago
    Quote Dexterous:

If the wall gets built, I will be happy to help you cut a hole in it to allow all those who want to leave. Canada is in the middle of a huge recession and I am sure they would welcome fresh taxpayers.

Shows you what a Conservative Government does for you.

• 100 Things You Can Say To Irritate A Republican   13 hours 13 min ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote Legend:

I notice a lack of remarks by the right wingers on this site such as Dexterous, Chicago Matt and STWO among others

That is because this is a silly thread full of caricatures.

Really! Comment on a few.

• Blackism: Straight From The Horse’s (Monkey’s) Mouth; or “My Black Won’t Rub Off” (Part III, Conclusion)   13 hours 57 min ago

Area I don't know old you are, how many election cycles you've seen or how active you are in political activities but if you think anything at all can happen from the top down you'll always be disappointed. Witness how easily Obama was brought to heel. Unlike the many I listened quite closely to what he was saying during his original bid for the oval office and what he was actually saying was very different from what people just assumed he was saying and then even given his barely inches left of center agenda he was stopped cold. Then of course from there he folded like a good uncle tom and started to show a willingness to sell us down the river instead of standing upright and fighting like the man everyone just assumed he was. And before you ask or accuse, no I didn't vote for clinton (and no, I didn't vote Obama either) in that round of nominations. The more you consider this semi-annual dog and pony show we call the national elections the more you'll realize it's a rigged game. Nothing more than a bread and circuses show for the masses. This election cycle reminds me so much of the 68 election season I can't help but keep mentioning it. Any ways my point is Area, grass roots is the only type of politics that have any chance of success othwise you'll forever be disappointed. Nothing ever really happens from top down except smoke and mirrors.

I've run out of time, be back later.

• Thomas Edison Was Right About Solar Power   14 hours 28 min ago

In the category of " Man Made Objects that best Disrupt the most Wind Flow", I think the real winners are tall buildings. Cities!

• Huge Black Guy in Houston Sneaks Up Behind a Deputy Sheriff and Shoots Him Dead!!   15 hours 52 min ago

Forget statistics...use some common sense. When you see your cop on TV with full military gear, driving tanks...to control the people..what is a proper response?

Buy a AK-47, build a bunker in your backyard, and prepare for the coming war/

We need a LEADER...call for a truce...EVERYBODY puts down their arms.

How about starting local militia for the gun nuts to get their rocks off??

How about BANNING all depiction of murder and violence. Kids see a million people killed by the time they are 18 so they think that it is normal.

Let's stop the fear and talk about PEACE ( that would put foxnews out of business)

• KILLER COP ?   16 hours 6 min ago

Don't let cops decide what a crime is. They have no JUDGEMENT...THEY ARE STUPID

72% of the people of Ferguson are criminals??

Cops use the law to punish and CONTROL the people..probably on orders from Koch&Co.

Stay out of domestic violence calls..it's a voluntary crime

Stay out of drug enforcement...it's a victimless crime

Stop traffic enforcement....let some volunteers video transgressors and issue tickets

There, now you can fire 80% of the cops..have them work at Walmart as security guards.

• The Obvious Problems With Thom's "Get The Base Out" Theory...   17 hours 41 min ago

I won't spend a lot a time on your rather discombobulated replies but I will point out that what you claim to have "proved" in your analysis ( http://reinventing-america.blogspot.com/2012/11/do-those-27-amendments-p... #sthash.vKq186Km.dpuf ) is not proof but only analytic opinion. That aside however, I only bring it up because, while you chide me for what you think is my touting of my own political qualifications (when in fact my only intent was to illustrate that being confronted by an online blogger among the millions of them is not intimidating to me no matter how much you persist in trying to be intimidating), you're awfully proud of your little blog. But your assertion there is even wrong. You assert that none of the amendments have reformed "any" of the core antidemocratic features of the Constitution when what you could have reasonably asserted is that they haven't reformed "a" core antidemocratic feature, which is state suffrage embodied in the Senate. As I stated somewhere above the principle of equal justice is the bedrock principle upon which democratic principles like one-person-one-vote are rested. Its enshrinement marks perhaps the greatest liberal advance in Western history and, I would assert, is the most crucial element to the evolution of democracy contained in the Constitution. So, as equal justice is now a precept, the way state suffrage is wielded is reasonably an addressable matter.

You also stated that you never said you wanted to abolish our social compact but only rid it of the Senate but that fails to take into consideration the fact that states are guaranteed, in an unamendable passage in Article V, that "...no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate." So, again, you can't have it both ways and my assumption that you were advocating dumping the Constitution was founded.

As for your demand that I answer your "DIRECT QUESTIONS" (love the authoritative bold by the way dear) -- we're not in high school and I'm not being graded. I will however remind you that direct representation alone does not guarantee democratic governance as I illustrated. You are quick to dismiss any opinon that isn't your own without bothering to provide the argument -- as you did with my suggestion that gerrymandering was perhaps the more approriate place to begin when it comes to advocating for a more democratic system. Your response of "Abolishing gerrymandering alone will do little to deal with the main defects of a first past the post system that maintains our two party system... let alone all the other defects" ignores the fact that competetiveness drives innovation, broadens the debate and necessitates responsiveness to citizen, rather than partisan, concerns. You make a claim, such as that addressing gerrymandering (a matter of advocating just like addressing any sort of issue, whether federal or state by state, would be) would not address the issue you raise, without providing an argument to back up your claim but only the assertion of your assumption about what the outcome would be. Then you obfuscate your failure by assuming a haughty tenor that purports to suppose I am the one being evasive. My counter is that you are shortsighted and/or have tunnel vision.

Ground games require a competent strategy and I would suggest that one could not possibly get to the reform of Congress in his or her lifetime by beginning with advocating for the abolition of the Senate. First one must realize that structural reform of the Senate, not elimination of it, is the viable option and then realize its reform is best approached as an ultimate goal, not an immediatley achievable goal. So long as the existing power dynamic doesn't change Congressional structure won't likely change and so the power dynamic is the first concern, which is what I began arguing way back when -- pragmatism rather than pie-in-the-sky.

• Blackism: Straight From The Horse’s (Monkey’s) Mouth; or “My Black Won’t Rub Off” (Part III, Conclusion)   20 hours 7 min ago

I am not the most literate person, but i am not a dumb person. I try to be civil in my post and try to present an intelligent position, But when some one comes at me sideways like a smart ass i am not gonna be respectful. So if you wanna call that ghettoizing the forum, so you must be saying you don't want a position from a person who grew up in the ghetto present their views in way that is not the college educated author way.

And i find it funny how you say no legitimate Blackman would talk like that in here, 99% of black people never heard of this thread or Thom Hartman and chances are if i wasn't looking for political talk during Obama 08 run while during work as a truck driver i probably would of never heard of Thom.

So like in life the way you talk around white people is different then when your around friends and i try to write in a way that is white appropriate, but just like in real life if someone disrespects you it hard to hold back.

The thing is i feel where r kenyatta is coming from. My problem is why is he fucking with the white people that will most sympathetic to the cause. I get the anger, you think im not angry every day

So some white person acknowledging shit was fuck up in the past ain't going to get me a good job today.

But if people keep falling for this divide conquer bullshit we are going to keep going down the same road as the corporation build their billions on the backs of everybody while only the white privilege with connection make it. Like Thom says minorities are the last to be hired and the first to be fired and many like me will continued to be under employed or unemployed unless we change our trade laws and have government job programs.

So my point was this guy should be using his writing skills to bridge the gap instead alienating people and maybe we can get somebody in there that gives a dam instead of people just trying to make themselves rich.

And Hillary Clinton is not in the rear view mirror , she got a 18 wheeler and is swerving lanes trying to keep Bernie behind and i cant take 8 more years of this shit because it will probably break me.

And i don't get why people on the left keep trying to protect the Clintons when they passed many laws that effect current day lives of blacks and minorities , race baited plenty of times. But he is worried about some average ignorant white person , but says nothing about highly educated , highly powerful people did a whole lot of damage to minority communities and they get a pass because they claim to be a democrat, I say fuck that and they need to be held accountable.

• NeoCons, Republicans, Misogyny, and Sadomasochism   20 hours 28 min ago

Al Capone and Watergate

☛ ❝Henry Ford originally made his cars to run on ethanol, so farmers could create their own fuel. (He saw farmers really as his customers originally, since nearly all of us were farmers).

Along comes John D. Rockefeller, who wants people to use oil. He provides money to the anti-alcohol movement in order to make Prohibition a reality, and stop the ethanol fuel industry and promote the use of fossil fuels.

Prohibition History I Never Knew

"I am against Prohibition because it has set the cause of temperence back twenty years; because it has substituted an ineffective campaign of force for an effective campaign of education; because it has replaced comparatively uninjurious light wines and beers with the worst kind of hard liquor and bad liquor; because it has increased drinking not only among men but has extended drinking to women and even children."
    -- William Randolph Hearst,
    initially a supporter of Prohibition,
    explaining his change of mind in 1929.
    From "Drink: A Social History of America"
    by Andrew Barr (1999), p. 239

George Lincoln Rockwell and members of the American Nazi Party attend a Nation of Islam summit, 1961

"Italian fascism and German Nazism had their admirers within the U.S. business community and the corporate owned press. Bankers, publishers, and industrialists, including the likes of Henry Ford, traveled to Rome and Berlin to pay homage, receive medals, and strike profitable deals. Many did their utmost to advance the Nazi war effort, sharing military industrial secrets and engaging in secret transactions with the Nazi government, even after the United States entered the war. During the 1920s and early 1930s, major publications like Fortune, the Wall Street Journal, Saturday Evening Post, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and Christian Science Monitor hailed Mussolini as the man who rescued Italy from anarchy and radicalism."
    excerpts from the book Blackshirts and Reds by Michael Parenti
    publisher - City Lights Books, 1997
    261 Columbus Avenue, Sand Francisco, CA 94133

Measuring bathing suits –.jpg
    if they were too short,
    women would be fined, 1920′s

SHADOW OF THE SWASTIKA
    Documented Evidence of a Secret Business and Political Alliance
    Between the U.S. "Establishment" and the Nazis -
    Before, During and After World War II - up to the Present.

Chemical Cotton vs Organic Hemp
    High on Hemp
    Hemplastic or Fossil Fools Crud

A woman hides her face in shame.jpg
    as she puts her kids up for sale during the depression.

Martin Luther King Jr.jpg
    removes a burnt cross from his yard.

Christmas dinner during Great Depression.jpg
    turnips and cabbage

Young women delivering ice -circa 1918.jpg

Annette Kellerman promotes women’s right.jpg
    to wear a fitted one-piece bathing suit, 1907.
    She was arrested for indecency

I now have absolute proof
    that smoking even one marijuana cigarette
    is equal in brain damage
    to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb
    ~ Ronald Reagan

A mother and her child in Las Vegas.jpg
    watching the nuclear testing just 75km away…

Only 13% of the medical schools surveyed mention the endocannabinoid science to our future doctors. Note that's "mention" GanjaRx. None of the Med Schools teach students, future doctors. Censorship is the same result as illiteracy.

Witch hunts and the war on weed
    The persecution of "witches" was really a war on sacred plants that continues today.

"Marihuana is an addictive drug which
    produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."
    ~ Harry J. Anslinger

MEDICAL CANNABIS
    A SHORT GRAPHICAL HISTORY WITCHCRAFT & CHRISTIANITY
    Both Catholics and Protestant churches persecuted witches. The only difference being the form of execution, Catholics burnt witches while Protestants hang them.

"... the primary reason to outlaw marijuana
    is its effect on the degenerate races."
    ~ Harry J. Anslinger

Marijuana and the Goddess
    In most ancient hunter-gatherer societies, women balanced the males’ supply of game with their collected harvest from the surrounding wilderness. Women therefore became the first to learn the secrets of plants, and how they propagated themselves.

"Marijuana leads to homosexuality,
    the breakdown of the immune system,
    and ultimately, AIDS."

▬ Marijuana Does Not Affect Brain Volume Study Finds
    ▬ Study Confirms Marijuana is Over 110 Times Safer Than Alcohol
    ▬ Marijuana Users no More Likely to Experience
    Depression, Psychosis or Asthma, Study Says
    ▬ Teen Marijuana Use Not Linked to Later Depression,
    Lung Cancer, Other Health Problems, Research Finds
    ▬ Chronic marijuana use in teens not linked to later health issues
    ▬ Using Pot To Save Brains!

"There is a point at which the law becomes immoral and unethical. That point is reached when it becomes a cloak for the cowardice that dares not stand up against blatant violations of justice. A state that supresses all freedom of speech, and which by imposing the most terrible punishments, treats each and every attempt at criticism, however morally justified, and every suggestion for improvement as plotting to high treason, is a state that breaks an unwritten law."
    - Kurt Huber,
    The head of "White Rose",
    killed by the Nazis in 1943.

• Thom on Democracy: SUPPORT THE ANTIDEMOCRATIC ELECTORAL COLLEGE!!!   20 hours 49 min ago

As usual you're so anxious to dissect and analyze a remark that you fail to first fathom meaning from it. I emphatically stated "...I'll leave you to it" re this attempt to convince others to your opinion. I have no interest in arguing in this thread too as it is only a reiteration of the last. My only interest is to observe whether you can convince anyone else to your point of view or even hold anyone's interest. So, again, good luck -- I'll leave you to it.

• “Cutting Losses, Kochs to sell Scott Walker”   21 hours 23 min ago

My god that's funny. I had forgotten how brilliant Andy Borowitz is. Funny, famous, financially well off, and only 57, thank heaven for Mr Borowitz.

• "Loyalty Agreement" with Isreal that Congresspersons are "required" to sign   21 hours 40 min ago

I did address it, I said voters should be the judge and vote them out of office if they dislike a particular pledge. Who do you think should decide what campaign pledge violates the oath?

• Blackism: Straight From The Horse’s (Monkey’s) Mouth; or “My Black Won’t Rub Off” (Part III, Conclusion)   22 hours 21 min ago

Reply to #17- Another defensive white guy. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Anyway I stand with Patriot on this. Kenyatta is speaking an unpleasant truth we all need to hear. We'll never heal this deep wound without exposing it to the open air. Otherwise it could turn gangrenous... if it hasn't already.

That said, I'll remind y'all that if Mr. Kenyatta was really a racist, he would not have befriended palefaces like me and Patriot, or invited us to join the team on his Melanic Nation website. The truth is, Mr. K is fully aware that it's what's between the ears -- and in the heart -- that counts. Any white person who is not a racist, who comes to these threads, has nothing to worry about.

• Thomas Edison Was Right About Solar Power   22 hours 39 min ago

No I am not joking. It is you that have no idea how many windmills there are currently operating today and they continue to build. Remember we exist in an envelope that is not expanding but the weather conditions are already changing. Some of it is due to the warming atmosphere but some of the warming is being caused by taking energy out of he wind. What we need to do is focus on utilizing hydrogen, especially in transportation. The only byproduct of its burning is distilled water.

• "Loyalty Agreement" with Isreal that Congresspersons are "required" to sign   22 hours 58 min ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote ulTRAX:
    Quote gumball:

To be judged and punished by who?

Earlier in the thread criminal prosecution was advocated for, that was the focus of my first post in this thread that you responded to.

RED HERRING ALERT: why not address the person who took that position. I NEVER DID.

EVASION ALERT!!!

I never said you did.

Gee Einstein... if I did not voice ANY opinion on that point... why TF do you keep asking me as if I wrote that post? Ask IRV.

Oh, I get it... so you don't really have to address questions I DID pose to you. Just more of the typical Gummie Two Step designed to disrupt the discussion.