Recent comments

• Mysticism   10 hours 9 min ago
    Quote .ren:
    Quote dashMarkdot:
    Quote NMHiker:

Ren, I am really astonished by the personal animus this thread has generated.

Me, too. But I'm not greatly puzzled by it. It's kind of a part of human nature [1].

Quote NMHiker:

Since the opening volley I am just ignoring them.

Again, me, too. But that's because, well, you know, I have really thin skin and have difficulty with confrontation. You've seen me shrivel when folks say mean stuff. <sigh>

[1] as in: human beings have evolved to be that way. <shrug>

Well, Mark, you know about me and anthropology. While I do not discount the notion of something that might be called our human nature, I do believe the evidence suggests that our nature is such that if we are in cultures and institutions that are based on competition and violence that we are "nurtured" to adapt those behaviors.

What compels me to want to say this is certainly not a desire to correct, but more to enhance what you are saying. Because what I can see is that we have incredibly plastic adaptable capacities because of our inherited human nature.

From all the evidence, hierarchical institutions are a relatively recent social invention, going back maybe nine thousand years with the rise of what we are calling. today, cities. Just because we are plastic enough with our inherited features -- like some universal capacity for language, like mirroring neurons that make empathy possible -- to be able to adapt to these conceptual organizations I'd like to simply call institutions, does not necessarily mean we are these violent cultural creations by nature. I think there's a logical fallacy somewhere in that if/then logic.

In some ways the institutions are ontological creations that get out of our control as they grow within the logic of their purpose, and those involved merely do their jobs to the best of their abilities (or maybe not, maybe some actually resist for some reason or another) to assure that the stated purpose of the institution is met, be it a military killing machine type institution or a natural gas fracking institution.

It would simply be in our nature to adapt, even if it kills us in the long run, or destroys some of our essential humanity as we do so. And that is both horrifying and marvelous to imagine. Because the truth of it frees us from that Skinnerian behavioral determinism the age of reason concocted before Chomsky blew Skinners theories to smithereens.

I'm marking this here (he-he, pun?) because I think I want to respond to this but, like Kathy, I have to go do that 'work' thing and save lives all day.

-Mark.

• The Real Boston Tea Party was Against the Wal-Mart of the 1770s   10 hours 12 min ago

Very interesting read - nice to see such indepth opinions.

domestic cleaner exeter

• Greed, Retirees and minimum wage   10 hours 22 min ago

The original poster seemed to suggest that there was not enough money coming in to keep up with inflation and the lifestyle they thought they would like during retirement.

No condemnation of the poster, just pointing out the facts. The opportunity is there for you to protect yourself. Take advantage of that opportunity early on, and you will find retirement a lot easier to tolerate.

• net neutrality   11 hours 33 min ago
  • What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   11 hours 54 min ago

Loganonenation,

I do acknowledge that there is a disdain towards Obama himself, not just his policies. However I do think that it is ultimately rooted in "I want what I want" from those who didn't get their way.

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   11 hours 58 min ago

Ultrax,

Here is my propositiion for a 30 second argument.

"Lets all be mature adults here. It takes someone who won't try to stop breathing until they get blue in the face just so they get what they want. Working together for the good of the country doesn't have to be about perpetual compromise! It can be about cooperation and collaberation!"

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   12 hours 3 sec ago
    Quote micahjr34:

What I find sad is that there certainly are voters out there who are so drawn to right wing causes that they deliberately vote for certain politicians to create gridlock. I am sure that there are people who feel that if they can't get what they want they can always keep others from getting what is wanted.

However, this personality trait just does not belong solely to certain conservatives. I am sure that there are "Liberals" who like to make such trouble. I mean, who hasn't ever thrown a fit and gotten mad when they didn't get everything that they wanted? Being able to cooperate and collaberate with others is a very mature, adult thing to do.

I hope you are not making the mistake (as Obama did) of interpreting GOP opposition as an effort "to get everything it wants." The GOP has decided to obstruct EVERYTHING, even things they want, as long as Obama is president. This is far beyond any ideological disagreement or sour grapes at not getting all of it's way. The last 6 years of GOP obstruction has been motivated by nothing else but the visceral desire to see this President (and the country he presides over) fail. This is pure hate, masquerading as disagreement. It is absolutely unprecedented, and way beyond the pale.

• Democrats Should Go on Offense: Call Out the GOP's 100% Obama-Hate-Based Campaign (Yes They Should Defend Obama)   12 hours 6 min ago

I was thinking of a possible ad in states that rejected medicaid expansion, like FL. List the names of those that died due to healthcare denial. Reading the names the same as they do on 911 memorial rememberances. "Rick Scott denied them care, they died. Their care was free and aleady paid for, but Rick Scott refused to let them have it, they died. Their ophaned kids, widowed husbands and wifes didn't ask to be left alone. Parents seeing their precious children die because the state wanted them to is a heavy burden to bear".

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   12 hours 16 min ago

• Sleazy Political Operative Dick Morris puts out Claptrap Book Just in Time to Drive the Lunatic Fringe to Polls   12 hours 19 min ago

Liberal agenda? A Heritage Action healthcare plan is liberal?

Liberals do believe in education, and science does not teach creationism if it wants to compete on the international playing field in molecular biology, the most promising field of scientific and medicinal developments. Liberals think smart>dumb, point Morris.

Koch's forcing KS, OK, and others to deny Wind Turbine farm projects is Obama blocking energy independance?

The UN, always the UN, only the internet this time instead of guns.

• Should public radio program in the public interest?   12 hours 34 min ago

AMEN to the previous comment by Aliceinwonderland!

• Should public radio program in the public interest?   12 hours 46 min ago

Anybody old enough to remember Walter Cronkite is certainly old enough to remember the late Mike Wallace (and, Edward R. Murrow, Eric Sevareid, Bill Downs, and Dan Rather, too...). What we have today pales in comparison to their work. The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas (my spouse's alma mater) has a wonderful collection of substantive television available as streaming video, audio, and as transcripts from The Mike Wallace Interview interviews from 1957 and 1958. Available free here: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/film/holdings/wallace/

The breath, depth, and scope of the interviews is beyond anything I've seen or heard since David Frost's interview with RMN. The subjects of Mr. Wallace's penetrating interviews run the gamut from Margaret Sanger and Eleanor Roosevelt to leading political figures (both at home and abroad), KKK leaders to noted authors, physicians, theologians, and movie stars.

The level of preparation that Mr. Wallace evidences is nothing short of a trial attorney deposing a witness - he knows what to ask, how to ask, when to ask, and does not let the subject "off the hook". This is what we've lost. Check out these incredible interviews.

Turning to the "fear" topic: Churchill has been quoted enough - he was correct then, when the Nazi Blitz was pounding London - and he's correct now when we have sneak-thieves and power-brokers manipulating the whole planet. Fear paralyzes. Doing something positive is always an option.

You may not yet have the skills to best the useful idiots - but, if you keep at it - you can learn them. Mr. Hartmann has the civil discussion mastered - and his steady adherence to that practice keeps his opponents willing to come back for more.

I can literally destroy a human being's credibility with a well crafted question at trial - but, it usually takes two years of discovery and motion practice before I get the chance to ask that question - two years to frame the argument, create my theme, and deliver the goods for my client: a jury verdict in their favor. That's an entirely different skill set - but it, like Mr. Hartman's debates - I must pay incredibly close attention to exactly what the witness says.

Active listening, good preparation, and a predetermined goal will always stand you in good stead. Go watch/listen to Mike Wallace give a master class fifty-six years on - most interviews are still highly relevant today - and, they present a master class in the fine art of interrogation.

RIP Morning Edition and All Things Considered. Susan Stamberg should have been readying her cranberry-horseradish relish recipe right about now.

• Should public radio program in the public interest?   14 hours 36 min ago

Richinfolsom, excellent post! Your initial comment rang a bell with me. I’ve often compared media coverage of elections to how sports announcers keep score. Yeah, non-issues are part of the package these corporate shills dole out to we the public. The most crazy-making thing of it is how much of the public eats that shit up.

Sounds like you’re from my era. How I miss Cronkite. They just don’t make ‘em like that anymore, do they? Now all we get is blowdried, coiffured fascist fluff. You do a good job portraying the lie; lying by diversion is one of their tactics to mislead and distract. Well, like the old saying goes, ya can’t fool all the people all the time. Especially us old Boomers, those of us who haven’t drunk the proverbial “Kool Aid”, who've managed to get by without having sold out to the Big Lie. Yep; those pundits will do anything to keep the sheeple under their spell, handily distracted from what the master predators are doing to us. I’m talking about the banksters, the CEOs, the payday pirates, the oil barons, the healthcare extortionists... whatever their stripes. Not to mention the death & destruction inflicted on people of smaller, weaker countries by this USian Fourth Reich, on our nickle and in our names! And let's not forget how uninhabitable Planet Earth is soon to be if we don’t collectively mend our ways. “Too big to jail” is just one of various tactics used by plutocrats & psychopaths to keep themselves immune to the consequences of their actions. It’s what they do.

Yeah I can see some religious nuts framing the climate issue as a 21st Century Armageddon. God punishing us for our sins… Abortion, homosexuality, athiesm, socialism... Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I’ve got this really cool magnet on our fridge with the photo of a Native American man's weathered face. Under this elegant portrait is the following quote: “Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.” Yeah Rich, while back in Pundit Land, lies continue gushing from the mouths of "babes", those blond-haired Aryan bimbos… and let’s not forget the almighty empty suits behind the curtain, calliing the shots.

Be very scared. We're in deep do-do, folks. - AIW

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   14 hours 48 min ago

The main motivator on the right to have this majority is simply to employ it to wound Obama over the next two years, in whatever way they can and however bad for the country that turns out to be. Make no mistake, this 2014 campaign from the right is wholly built on the sadistic desire to punish Obama. Our country can't afford this kind of behavior in Washigton. We are dealing with real crises and the Republicans are looking to score political points.

Obama is getting blamed in the polls because people are not happy with the direction of the country. Well neither am I, frankly. But Obama policies can't be blamed for this because hardly any of his proposed policies have been passed in the last 4 years of an absolute GOP stonewall. We have Obamacare and Dodd Frank, mainly, passed early in his first term. That's really it. Since 2010, we've been stuck in gridlock, still living on Bush's policies because the other side has chosen to refuse to deal with this President and then go out and stoke hate for him to the public for not getting anything done and benghazi.

We can't continue this. Our country needs to move forward. Vote Democratic.

• Weird Sightings on Google Earth   14 hours 51 min ago

52°28'47.03"N 62°11'8.54"E Giant Satanic Pentagram Symbol in Kazakhstan? Perhaps it has another meaning other than Satanism?

17°44'47.79"N 146°35'06.04"E strange right angle and boxlike markings on ocean floor..or is it really on the ocean floor?

33°59'19.76"N 119° 2'15.26"W Some people believe this is an underwater UFO base or secret US submarine opening just off the coast of Santa Monica.

• A GOP Senate in 2014 Will Destroy the Republican Party from Within   14 hours 58 min ago

The source for this rage is a large part due to how blindsided the right has been by their constant underestimation of him. They so wanted him to be a stupid one termer, not just a two-term president whose been made to look stupid through unprecedented gridlock pursued for its own sake.

• Should public radio program in the public interest?   16 hours 1 min ago

The command of our nations media by the Rightwing is massive and total. That our national radio and television outlets are controlled by the Rightwing is not news as I've watched the destruction of US media for over 50 years.

America is a Rightwing nation of fools and stooges---------and these are our good points!

• Mysticism   16 hours 19 min ago

The song builds so well from the particular and familiar to "every single one of us" so that it does end up as a poignant plea and lament for all of humanity.

This part from the beginning, however, was just searing about family or friends in prison and/or imprisoned by addiction and mental illness. She just "gets it" and speaks it so clearly.

"My brother could use a little mercy now
    He's a stranger to freedom, he's shackled to his fear and his doubt
    The pain that he lives in it's almost more than living will allow
    I love my bother, he could use some mercy now."

Mary Gauthier - Mercy Now

• Mysticism   16 hours 29 min ago
    Quote atticus:
    Quote .ren:

This one hits me close and deep. How you learn to live alone

So deep for me I could not listen until the end. Yes, she's remarkable for having battled addiction and much more, known the worst kind of heartache, and turned it into poetry and song and a kind of redemption.

Another who's been through the eye of the mystic needle.

• Mysticism   16 hours 31 min ago

416 not 417, friggin board

She said in an interview that the inspiration for that song, Mercy, was the attack on Iraq after 911.

• Mysticism   16 hours 34 min ago
    Quote .ren:

This one hits me close and deep. How you learn to live alone

• Mysticism   16 hours 35 min ago

Yeah, she's a gift. I can't help but think of what she's been through while I listen. This one hits me close and deep. How you learn to live alone

"You live inside the false

til you don't recognize the true

people send you pictures

and you can't believe it's you"

• Mysticism   16 hours 38 min ago

Synchronicity - Gauthier - Trouble and Love - http://youtu.be/wadsu2K8jwY and http://youtu.be/FtPvJQw07_8 - "Mercy Now" speaks to and from all kinds of pain and suffering, of the yearning for mercy, for lightening the burden, and easing the pain.

• Wall Street Journal: Wealth Inequality Is Your Own Dumb Fault   16 hours 50 min ago
    Quote Combad57:

Of course this is pure nonsense.

I completely disagree with you. If anything, IMO, Murdoch's influence would certainly have the WSJ "engaging in propaganda," as Pam Martens illustrates here.

Quote Pam Martens:

Only much later in the article does the author offer up this bit of clarification:

“Wealth inequality in the U.S. has many causes, some of which precede the recent booms and busts, and the new research doesn’t quantify exactly how much the stock-market timing contributed to it.”

“Doesn’t quantify exactly how much”? But your front page headline said market timing “fueled” the wealth gap. The Wall Street Journal couldn’t possibly be engaging in propaganda could it?

Further in the article Martens explains:

Quote Pam Martens:

The Wall Street Journal piece focuses on just wealth inequality but that can’t be addressed properly without looking at what has simultaneously caused unprecedented income inequality in our nation.
    ....

Additionally, perhaps most importantly, is the parallel between the income inequality that existed just before the two most epic stocks market crashes in our nation’s history: the crash of 1929 and 2008. In the year before each of those crashes, income inequality had reached an historic peak. Why did this only occur at those two moments in our history? Because, in 1929, Wall Street banks were allowed to collect deposits from savers and use the money to make wild speculations on Wall Street. From 1933 to 1999, that activity was curtailed by the Glass-Steagall Act. The Clinton administration repealed the Glass-Steagall Act in 1999, allowing trillions of savers deposits to be concentrated in a handful of the largest Wall Street banks – which pay miniscule interest to the depositors while reaping outsized gains in risky market speculations.

If the bets payoff, the banks keep the winnings and pay obscene salaries and bonuses to their executives and traders. If the bets fail spectacularly, the taxpayers bail out the bank. This is our heads they win, tails you lose current system. To attempt to dress all of this up as bad market timing on the part of the little guy is about as low as it gets.

[my bold for emphasis]

• Mysticism   17 hours 6 min ago
    Quote atticus:

Mary Gauthier is entirely new to me. I've been haunted by her songs now I've discovered them.

Never heard her either. Thanks for the heads up.

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

Green World Rising

In two previous videos narrated by Leonard DiCaprio and available over at GreenWorldRising.org, we’ve seen the dangers that global warming and climate change present for our planet and the human race.