Recent comments

• Mysticism   15 hours 59 min ago

Cheers for the links ren. I'll check them out. I'll get my hands on Jeremy Rifkins book too. Some hopeful words would be a welcome change :-)

Hey Don, how yo doing bro? Fancy seeing you here :-)

rs allen wow, sounds like v cool encounters. There's something very beautiful when another wild life form chooses to trust and share its being with you, even if only briefly.

• Mysticism   16 hours 1 min ago

Sorry Kenny(?) I didn't mean to not answer your direct question of having a wild bird come say hello. Aah, well the first time I think the bird was just as startled as I was. And the second time (the last time) I got tired of holding my arm out and tried to pull my hand in closer. Flit, and the bird was gone..........now the experience is much the same as a dream the only difference being it was real.

Revelations? I don't know who was welcoming who to the web of life. Maybe he was telling me we're all the same no matter how we try to frame it.

• The Entry of Ebola into the US Has Hallmarks of a Planned Happening   16 hours 1 min ago
    Quote Karolina quoting PaulCraigRoberts.com:It’s now clear that the U.S. government has long known this outbreak was coming but did nothing to warn the public.

In early September, the government sought to purchase 160,000 Ebola hazmat suits from a U.S. supplier.
    hazmat_suits_biological_protection.html

I know you love conspiracy theories and stay away from your posts. But seriously?

I think we need more than those sources to "prove" a case. For instance... what's the proof these suits were mainly meant to be used in the US?

These 160,000 suits are being procured specifically to fight the exploding global pandemic of Ebola, but it's clear that these suits are also intended to be used in the United States, not Africa. There aren't even a thousand doctors left in the African countries being hit by Ebola.

It's the implication that they can't be all used in Africa since there's only 1000 doctors left. Uh? These suits aren't reusable. Say those 1000 doctors have 4 staff and use 1 a day. That's already 5000 suits a day... and 160k is a month's supply. Other numbers, of course, can be used.

But based on such "logic" we're supposed to believe someone is deliberately introducing Ebola to the US?

• ‘Calibration error’ changes GOP votes to Dem in Illinois county   16 hours 15 min ago
    Quote Dexterous:
    Quote ulTRAX:

So you disagree with the Texas Supreme Court that ruled such a paper trail was not necessary?

Yes, I do disagree with the Texas Supreme Court ruling.

Good. For once we agree on something.

But why do you think some in Texas are fighting NOT to have paper trails? Are you bothered by the possibility that while the GOP is fighting a questionable war against voter "fraud", that election fraud, the stealing of elections, is the real danger?

And, just what are you looking for in a paper trail.

• ‘Calibration error’ changes GOP votes to Dem in Illinois county   16 hours 17 min ago
    Quote Dexterous:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Yes, I do disagree with the Texas Supreme Court ruling.

Good. For once we agree on something.

But why do you think some in Texas are fighting NOT to have paper trails?

And, just what are you looking for in a paper trail.

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   16 hours 20 min ago
    Quote Alberto Ceras 2:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Think we can ever have meaningful reforms in the US if a mere 2% of the population can block any reforms?

You have it backwards. The wealth and power the Koch's have amassed is possible because we have defective and antidemocratic electoral and political systems... that allow corporations and the ultra wealthy to manipulate the system, not the other way around.

No, it's possible largely because the U.S. has a dumb, apathetic electorate. Can that be corrected? It could be but, absent a miracle, it won't be.

I won't excuse citizen apathy. But the system, itself, creates apathy. It's a pretty rational response to a system that's reformproof, antidemocratic, and where election LOSERS can be made president. We're brought up to believe our system is perfect, and we're self-government as decided by election. On some level most citizens have to know there's something wrong but I doubt they know what it is. They can't bring themselves to question the civic religion that the Framers were all wise.

Even if the electorate woke up... they are still up against a system that is reform proof. States with as little as 3.5% of the population can block ANY reform... and technically it's just that segment of those state's population that disapproves... which is where the 2% number comes from.

• Daily Topics - Thursday October 23rd, 2014   16 hours 21 min ago

I'm not very surprised by Michael "Savage" Weiner. It's not like we all thought he was a kind, understanding person. The only reason to be surprised is that we expect him to carry water for the Republican rhetoric of supporting the troops. But, of course, we on the left know that they don't really support our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines in the first place.

• ‘Calibration error’ changes GOP votes to Dem in Illinois county   16 hours 32 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

Yes, I do disagree with the Texas Supreme Court ruling.

• Wednesday 22 October '14 show notes   16 hours 34 min ago

Southern Florida, rising ocean levels, limestone substrata, ocean acidification. See where this is going?

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   16 hours 44 min ago
    Quote Alberto Ceras 2:
    Quote To Legend, ulTRAX:

I tire of your cluelessness. The US has NEVER been a democracy... and arguably it's not even a democratic republic. It's an ANTI-democratic republic.

I prefer to rely on Princeton's study that I cited here in an earlier comment (#38) . The U.S. is a plutocracy according to that researched and documented study.

It's a chicken and egg situation. Even if the rich did NOT control the system, the system would still be antidemocratic. But it is... so how does that lend itself to plutocracy?

The Constitution was created with class warfare in mind. Madison is quite frank about the Senate being the way the rich will have a check on what the House wants. But arguably the deeper defect is that with government that permits minority rule... or gives a minority of the population power beyond what they deserve, then the rich can use their wealth to manipulate and control the system. This is what we've seen develop. Our system simply has no protections against minority rule or from the ultrawealthy manipulating the system.

• Mysticism   16 hours 47 min ago
    Quote .ren:

How've you been, Don? Time as we experience it is linear so there's no going back. Even with a time machine we'll carry now back with us so it won't be the same, just another linear derivation.

Nicely stated Ren.

• Mysticism   16 hours 47 min ago

"Maybe not the response you're looking for Chris, but it's the one I've got at the moment."

I am the one blessed love, to have you in my life! LIving in the moment is the key as you note. Few do it well.

• Mysticism   16 hours 48 min ago

• Daily Topics - Thursday October 23rd, 2014   16 hours 53 min ago

Rick Scott - some background info: Fortune (Magazine) September 8, 1997, entitled:

DON'T MESS WITH DARLA SHE'S NOT JUST MRS. RICHARD RAINWATER: OUTRAGEOUS AND UNSTOPPABLE, SHE'S WON LOVE, MONEY--AND THE UPPER HAND AT COLUMBIA/HCA.

(I googled: Rick Scott Darla Moore)

I worked for UT Austin as a "Development Researcher," and "pretty near" everything else (and everyone else) in UT's central fundraising office for 12 years. I left in 2004 but still reside in Austin.

I didn't pick up on "Rick Scott" until his name was mentioned in context with Columbia HCA; then the bells started ringing.

Enjoy your programs as do all FSTV (on DirecTV).

Thanks so much.

Namaste

Jim (Manning - no mention of last name, please; again thanks)

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   17 hours 2 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

• Mysticism   17 hours 5 min ago

It's good to see the band getting back together. This board was a special place back in the day. I've heard from Chris on occasion, a special human being. Kenny and Usha and I cross paths on FB occasionally. Wonderful folks. I tried this board a few months ago and learned you can't go back. I'll follow the thread and we'll see what develops. Best to you all.

• Mysticism   17 hours 9 min ago
    Quote Zenzoe:

...why does this silly program create duplicates?! Annoying!

I've discovered all the complaining in the world won't open a crack in the dark dawn. Nigel has finally achieved a fully integrated site for Thom, and apparently the complications of integrating the software means that we cannot have a fully functioning message board. Um, annoying it is. That's privitization for ya.

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   17 hours 20 min ago
    Quote captbebops:But what I've been encouraging is voting for third party candidates from local to state. Revolt by kicking over the tables and mixing things up.
    For third parties ever to take root, we need to change the electoral system that keeps them down and perpetuates 2 party rule. If your state permits citizen referendum, then maybe some changes to the state constitution might be in order... a reform to permit proportional representation for the state legislature. Then if a party, say the Greens, get 10% of the state wide vote, they'd get 10% of the seats in one or both houses.

• Mysticism   17 hours 23 min ago

I've been following the rise of neoliberal politics in Australia along with the downward spiral of everything else, Kenny. I don't see how it can go on much longer.

Complex civilizations have collapsed, over and over. We kind of know now why. By "we" I do not mean the upper management driving the busses over the cliff every time. It's kind of hard to get off the bus at this point. You'd almost have to go to another planet.

Can we transform the dominant death spiral global economy? Is it already too late even if we could change and revitalize the up to date destruction? (What if we change - documentary on ecosystem restoration)

I'd rather leave that unanswered and go on as if we can.

On September 21st there was a mass in the streets gathering to outcry against the system, almost immediately our own neoliberals responded with more war and destruction that stole the corporate media headlines, the fear of ebola here in the U.S. absorbed even more attention while another disease, spread by corporate institutions around the world continues to plague our fellow species and they are going extinct at the rate of 200 a day.

I recently watched an episode (brought to my attention by a friend who knows what I am interested in watching when it comes to brain washing our minds with entertainment) of Blacklist (S2 E5 The Front) where the people concerned about the Anthropogenic causes of an ongoing 6th Mass Extinction are characterized as nut case terrorists. And I wonder while watching this episode: what do all the people watching this think about it? I mean, this is mass mischaracterized propaganda.

We need new stories indeed!

I'm also reading something hopeful from an establishment liberal intellectual, Jeremy Rifkin: The Empathic Civilization: the Race to Global Consciousness in a World in Crisis. Of course he has no clue that anthropologists have been talking about empathic cultures for years or that any such awareness even existed in humans before civilized cultures discovered cognitive features in the mind, recently, called mirror neurons.

Preconquest Consciousness by Richard E. Sorenson

But it's at least encouraging that someone in our "Dead Liberal Class" is rising from the grave to speak out in this time of rising crisis. I mean, who's going to go looking for anything like this to read?: Sensuality and consciousness IV: Where did the liminal flowers go? : a report from the study of child behaviour and development in cultural isolates, ... at Berkeley, March 29 through April 2, 1995

• Thom: Please Dump The Robot Pigeon "Jokes"   17 hours 24 min ago
    Quote Antifascist:

The pigeon meme is only a inside joke to those that really think Pigeons are from Xenon. Thom has used it in the ten years, this month, I have been listening to his show.

Do you think any new listener to the show would have ANY idea what Thom was talking about when he did his new special pigeon segment and it then had nothing to do with pigeons? I'm an old listener who knows the joke, and I just thought segment was incoherent.

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   17 hours 24 min ago

According to the polispam in my inbox the Dems are quite desperate. They have their tin cups out for spare change too. Gee, if the Dems had done their job and raised their followers boats then we might have some spare change to give. Nah, had to fall with the Wall Street crowd. No wonder we are cynical.

All the Dems need to do is remind folks how bad the Bush years were. But what I've been encouraging is voting for third party candidates from local to state. Revolt by kicking over the tables and mixing things up.

• Mysticism   17 hours 38 min ago

...why does this silly program create duplicates?! Annoying!

• Mysticism   17 hours 40 min ago

Thanks for your kind support Doug and Ren! Much appreciated!

• What's The Best 30 Sec Argument That Can Convince Dems To Vote?   17 hours 42 min ago
    Quote Legend:It has been a long time since the USA was a democracy. It is a Fascist Plutocracy. My vote counts close to nothing compared to the Koch Brothers and the Billions of dollars. The Republicans battle to keep money in politics. The dirtier the better. Do you see them bashing each other? Do the Republicans bash Mitch McConell? They do not even bash John Boehner. They work together and vote together.

If you want to know why the Right has the power it has... LOOK AT THE SYSTEM for the advantages they get. Bush was REJECTED by the People and was imposed on the nation by the antidemocratic EC. Bush then was able to use the power of his office to insure a second term. Just look at the numbers of votes I posted per Senate seat to see how the system works to the advantage of small GOP states.

Then there's the simple fact that the Dems are uncoordinated idiots and refuse to clarify their ideas to come up with a vision of where they want to take this nation in 30-50 years. In 35 years they STILL could not even muster an effective response to the empty Orwellian Right accusations that the Dems were fiscally irresponsible while the GOP was sabotaging the fiscal health of the nation hoping to destroy the New Deal and Great Society safety nets. Have you seen ANY effort to push back against Starve The Beast? No, what we've seen is Obama keep 80-90% of the irresponsible Bush tax cuts...

• Is it imperative that we try to make history and get 100% of ALL eligible voters to vote this November 4th, 2014!?   17 hours 57 min ago

Did you know according to the most recent estimates of the worlds census numbers, the population of the world has added 1 billion people consecutively in 1805, 1927, 1960, 1974, 1987, 1999 and 2011? Did you know more people cause more people problems? Did you know what the best way to curb population increases in the world is? Did you know it’s not birth control, strict regulations on size of families or religious beliefs? Did you know that governments allowing the empowerment of women and their education is the ONLY PROVEN way to curb the population explosion? Did you know it is because they gain greater control over their education and fertility and they choose to have fewer children.

Did you know on Election Day in 1920, millions of American women exercised their right to vote for the first time? Did you know today women are 52% of the voters, but only around 18% of them are in our legislation? We must vote for women and women’s issues in this election!

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.