Recent comments

• 9/11 Truth is not a joke   7 hours 47 min ago

A neocon judge in a neocon district, refuted even by the Bush White House, and this is neocon propaganda. If any nation contributed to Al Qaeda, it'd be the US, guided by dual-national Israelis from the Reagan era forward. Both directly and via Pakistan's ISI.

• Moody's Downgrades Chicago's Rating Over Pensions   7 hours 47 min ago
    Quote DynoDon:

That's what Wall Street likes to hear!

Not necessarily. A 401k can be invested in a variety of venues. Wall Street can have little or no part of your investment decision. That point goes totally over Hartmanns head when he speaks to this issue. His investment advice leaves much to be desired. I suspect he got burned a couple of times years past and has lost millions since then by stuffing his cash in his mattress just above the water line.

• Obamacare is not some socialist marxist leftist plot...   7 hours 49 min ago

I should use the "Preview" feature in editing but I tend to just do it live.

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   7 hours 49 min ago
    Quote Mauiman2:
    Quote DynoDon:

The free market is only an intellectual exercise. The US is, and will never be, a free market. That is probably for the better. In the real world, free markets lead to producer concentration, monopolies and other predatory behavior. All bow down at the altar of crony capitalism!

Just curious, name me a situation where a monopoly was created in a free market.

Microsoft

Monsanto

US Steel

Standard Oil

Ma Bell

Major League Baseball

NFL

Some of these are mostly gone now but were created in a somewhat free market. If you want to count the US as being a primarily free market.

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   7 hours 53 min ago
    Quote DynoDon:

Name me an industrialized country that has a free market. Again, free market is just a fantasy and topic for intellectual discourse. Human greed would never allow a free market to endure. I'm just getting tired of seeing the term. Ranks up there with everybody should love everybody. Capitalism is a more realistic term and practice.

I guess if you say that if there are rules and regulations in place, then you have no free market, then you are correct. I would claim that the US has at least something close to a free market in most areas.

Your definition of a free market must be different than mine?

• OMG! Check Out This Software!   7 hours 55 min ago

Everybody sleep better knowing that the adware is buried so deeply it isn't detected by anti-virus software. Probably better not to know.

• The Marquis de Sade: Hero to the Left?   7 hours 56 min ago

Sorry to monopolize the thread.

• 9/11 Truth is not a joke   7 hours 57 min ago

J M Friedman: yes, really. My point, that the majority of engineers, and all professional engineering associations that I know to have addressed the issues, do NOT agree with you. So you can't cite "engineers" in general as an AUTHORITY. No architectural association I know of agrees with you. So you can't cite "architects" in general as an AUTHORITY. So you have to present your "evidence" and context, point by point, and not assume that the existence of one, cherry-picked minority, group speaks for their respective disciplines. That you're unaware of that even after I pointed it out shows evidence of an emotive process vs. a rational one.

I agree with the key point that 9/11 truth is not a joke and should not be mocked in and of itself. Disagreement with a "truth" you and like-minded associates find satisfying should also not be demonized. I won't hold my breath waiting for that to stop, though.

In sum: you were making an argumentum ad verecundiam, an argument to authority. If your authority's not a true authority - no relevant expertise, incompetent, or, as in this case, not representative, then the argument is flawed. I pointed that out. I think there was another, much worse underrlying problem: there's a strong tendency for people defending crankery, quackery, and ill-founded conspiracy theories to find just one study or just one "authority" and demand "do you think you know better than" my just-one-authority. The answer to that is, I don't have to. I simply have to find my own authority that counters yours. At that point you have to start using rational inquiry and some systematic empirical method to resolve the conflict. Also, obviously, an assertion made without evidence can be contradicted without evidence.

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   7 hours 57 min ago

It was a reply. To me, talking about the free market is like talking about pixies and fairies. Sorry, that is an insult to pixies and fairies.

• Megabank Rises From The Ashes   8 hours 1 min ago

Glad to see no one finds this objectionable.

• Moody's Downgrades Chicago's Rating Over Pensions   8 hours 2 min ago

That's what Wall Street likes to hear!

• Moody's Downgrades Chicago's Rating Over Pensions   8 hours 3 min ago

Most major cities have this problem. A great example of kicking the can down the road. It will be interesting to see 20 years from now where this ends up. Worst case, you have private citizens paying much high taxes and/or receiving greatly reduced services while supporting public pensioners. You may want to live in a small town that doesn't have this issue.

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   8 hours 5 min ago
    Quote DynoDon:

Ok, what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   8 hours 7 min ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote Legend:

What is a CEO's salary worth? Is it millions?

Some do, the overwhelming majority do not.

The walmart CEO made almost 10 million last year, this works out to be less then $5 per employee.

Last year they made 15 billion in profit, this works out to be $714 per employee. 2.1 million employees at 2080 work hours a year works out to 35 cents an hour. Of course not all work full time but you get the point. Simply reducing profits and CEO wages does not equate to much money to increase pay of the average worker, prices would need to go up.

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   8 hours 9 min ago

• The Principles of Democracy   8 hours 15 min ago

Ultrax, the minority of the population controls the majority of the wealth, how do you prevent the majority from taking the wealth from the minority?

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   8 hours 15 min ago
    Quote Legend:

What is a CEO's salary worth? Is it millions?

Just like everyone else, the CEO is worth what he is paid because someone is willing to pay it to him.

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   8 hours 16 min ago
    Quote DynoDon:

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   8 hours 17 min ago
    Quote DynoDon:

Ok....what does that have to do with the points raised on this issue?

• Daily Topics - Monday March 2nd, 2015   8 hours 17 min ago

The reason the .558mm armor-piercing (AP) bullet issue came up is that AP bullets aren't allowed in pistols. Originally, these bullets worked only in rifles, but a few years ago, someone started making pistols that can fit them, thus requiring a review by the ATF. So the gun industry has gotten itself into this situation where a product might be shifted into a banned category.

• http://lasthours.org/   8 hours 19 min ago

Try and find a country without radicalized Muslims.

• The Principles of Democracy   8 hours 23 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

mavibobo If we went by just straight majority rule as you are proposing the population centers could and would force the rest of the country to do some really stupid things.

ulTRAX: RED HERRING ALERT... I know you've NEVER been able to grasp ANY concept that you disagree with. Where have I EVER said I would not want to protect any LEGITIMATE rights of small states??? What I have REPEATEDLY said is this should not be done in a way that gives small states a bigger vote then it deserves in a democratic system... because this can lead to MINORITY RULE. The power of small states in the Constitution is NOT RESTRICTED to just protecting their rights.

So I ask AGAIN: Under what moral theory of government is MINORITY RULE permitted?

mavibobo: Good god you are so incapable of seeing what is really going on it is not even funny, it is down right scary you are allowed to vote or have kids. The Senate is not minority rule it is not now or ever has been minority rule.

Thanks AGAIN for proving my point that it's YOU who's never thought past what you learned in 4th grade. And thanks AGAIN for proving you're so lost in your own delusions of infallibility that you're intellectually incapable of understanding ANY concepts you don't agree with.

So I'll ask for the SIXTH time:

Under what moral theory of government is MINORITY RULE permitted?

Denying minority rule is possible under our system is NOT AN ANSWER.

Minority rule is bad, I never said it was not bad, however minorities are allowed to stop bad legislation just as the dems in the senate are trying to stop legislation in the senate now.

The majority can force some very bad rules on the minority with no way of fighting back against those rules. That is the down side to democracy it is also why the u.s. is a constitutional republic. This allows the minority to protect themselves from the mob rule. Thanks for proving yet again that you are so unbelievably lost in your delusions of infallibility that you are intellectually incapable of understanding any concept that is not your own.

You remind my of a parrot a friend owned once he was taught to say hello he never stop screaming hello.

• A Minimum Wage IS Free Market   8 hours 24 min ago

• http://lasthours.org/   8 hours 28 min ago

I have considered moving out. I have lived 2+ years in 3 other countries and worked in Several others. You can have a good life in other countries. I was going to leave if Romey had won. It seems to politically be going downhill. Lots of people will say the the USA is number 1.

• Daily Topics - Monday March 2nd, 2015   8 hours 28 min ago

If "state" can't mean the nation (like it does in the phrase "enemy of the state"), then people in DC, PR, VI, MP, GU, & AS can't qualify for ObamaCare subsidies no matter what.

I missed most of what Ian Millhiser said. I'm sure he's insightful, but I keep getting distracted by his pronunciation of "law" as /lawl/, like when Michele Bachmann says "Unined States". Maybe it's just a velar /l/, and not a plain dental /l/, but it's very noticeable. If it were part of a whole accent, maybe I could ignore it.

Currently Chatting

Would You Like Some Crippling Debt with that Degree?

Wall Street-style predatory capitalism has taken over our education system, and it’s absolutely devastating a whole generation of young people.