Recent comments

• COMCAST'S "DAILY" SIGNAL FEED INTERRUPTION, OF THE THOM HARTMANN PROGRAM   3 days 8 hours ago

'Nightly Show' Canceled; Larry Wilmore "Saddened" by "Unblackening" at Comedy Central

Larry Was the only person on TV that i heard be critical of Hillary Clinton, But he was fair game on everyone, The only person on tv that brought up Hillary on race issues like the Clinton's new jim crow laws.

It seems odd to cancel a political comedy show in the middle of a presidential race all of the sudden .

Maybe if he spent more time kissing the feet of Hillary instead of giving an fair and balanced comedic criticism of her, which pales in comparison that trump or bernie who himself would be in on the jokes about him have received.

• The “Greatest Nation on Earth”   3 days 8 hours ago

Tom Dorricott I have seen Kenyatta in videos and have heard him on the air with Thom. He speaks as well as he writes which no one can argue. You seem to have a personal hostility that makes little sense. When I look past your tripe I see a scared little racist that is probably very old. Let me give you an example: you were asked by someone (RSALLEN) how many black people did you attend parties, barbecues, social functions etc with. You never answered that question. In another thread-Storm Front- I asked you if you have made the statements you make here in a predominately black forum or audience. again you did not answer. I asked Helen Willis if she was aware that black people did not immigrate here and how did that affect her statement, she vanished. When you made this statement "The internet is anonymous. Some of the most cowardly, racist, mysogynistic, hateful crap is written in blogs and responses by those who would not dare utter them to others in person" I thought of you. I doubt very seriously you would say the things you say here in any black person's face especially Mr. Kenyatta. Have you seen him? And if what Kenyatta does in terms of his writing ability is so easy, why don't you thrill us all by duplicating it.

You and I do not know what the experiences of Mr. Kenyatta, NTG, RS or any other black person have been. Credibility is impeached when we assume we do. Like Hartmann says, aside from stereoptypes most white people have few interactions with blacks that amount to much. Whatever the case I can tell you this: I am intelligent enough to know that Kenyatta is nobodys coward and nobody's dummy (and I think that's what scares you and others) and he's smart enough to reveal what he chooses to reveal. I can't say that about you and by the way he uses his real name here which very few people do (including me), so that leads me to believe he owns his opinions and statements. You seem to be in the minority as everyone from Hartmann himself to many readers including yourself, seem to be interested in what Kenyatta has to say. If you put his name in the searchbox, you will find a variance of articles on a variance of subjects. And attacking someones children isn't very manly. If he speaks on his children that is his business. The point of the essay is made in spades (no offense to the brothers) and you have nothing of substance to refute it with other than cowardly personal attacks.

• Donald Trump: Champion of the Working Class (time to harpoon this whale)   3 days 8 hours ago

RS Allen

Rude and insulting words are not humor, they are just rude and insulting words.

Here perhaps I do have an advantage by being an older white woman. I remember in the 1960's when some white boys would try to impress girls by spewing forth vile foul racist garbage. They also would brag about bullying the disabled and developmentally delayed and one I knew would even brag about torturing baby rabbits. I never did understand why they did this. They seemed to particularly aim these verbal stuff at girls. I can't imagine any girl being convinced they wanted to date the guy in question after hearing such crap. Years later a friend suggested it was a kind of verbal rape. A putting us in our place. That sort of made sense.

Anyhow, when you would try to challenge these kind of creeps about what they were saying, they would always first claim that they were being funny and then say things like, "you're just a tight ass prig with no sense of humor."

So I've heard all this before, but I'm still not sure what they or you get from it. It certainly didn't convince people to hate African-Americans back in the day, but it might have scared them out of being friends with them. I suppose I'm asking why people join the Klan and ISIS? Or what was the point of blowing up a bomb worn by little boy at a wedding in Turkey or four little girls in a Sunday school in Birmingham? Don't these kind of things repel more than convince, so why do people do them?

• White Supremacy: Storm Troopers on the Storm Front   3 days 8 hours ago

I'm going with man-crush. Tom Dorricott I have seen Kenyatta in videos and have heard him on the air with Thom. He speaks as well as he writes which no one can argue. You seem to have a personal hostility that makes little sense. When I look past your tripe I see a scared little racist that is probably very old. Let me give you an example: in another thread you were asked by someone (RSALLEN) how many black people did you attend parties, barbecues, social functions etc with. You never answered that question. In #14 I asked you if you have made the statements you make here in a predominately black forum or audience. again you did not answer. I asked Helen Willis if she was aware that black people did not immigrate here and how did that affect her statement, she vanished. When you made this statement "The internet is anonymous. Some of the most cowardly, racist, mysogynistic, hateful crap is written in blogs and responses by those who would not dare utter them to others in person" I thought of you. I doubt very seriously you would say the things you say here in any black person's face especially Mr. Kenyatta. Have you seen him? And if what Kenyatta does in terms of his writing ability is so easy, why don't you thrill us all by duplicating it.

You and I do not know what the experiences of Mr. Kenyatta, NTG, RS or any other black person have been. Credibility is impeached when we assume we do. Like Hartmann says, aside from stereoptypes most white people have few interactions with blacks that amount to much. Whatever the case I can tell you this: I am intelligent enough to know that Kenyatta is nobodys coward and nobody's dummy (and I think that's what scares you). I can't say that about you and by the way, he uses his real name here which very few people do (including me), so that leads me to believe he owns his opinions and statements. You seem to be in the minority as everyone from Hartmann himself to many readers including yourself, seem to be interested in what Kenyatta has to say. If you put his name in the searchbox, you will find a variance of articles on a variance of subjects. And attacking someones children isn't very manly. If he speaks on his children that is his business.

• Donald Trump: Champion of the Working Class (time to harpoon this whale)   3 days 9 hours ago

Humph, last time I checked this was Thom Hartmann's front lawn.

When did it change hands?

• White Supremacy: Storm Troopers on the Storm Front   3 days 9 hours ago

The "legions" comment was uttered by one of your white brothers. I will not out him here, let's see if he has the courage to step up and take responsibility for his statement, he knows who he is and is your buddy. Also, stormboy you keep spouting the same crap about our support of the author and how "anyone that disagrees" with him blah, blah. How is that different from the fact that everything he states you disagree with? By your own words Kenyatta is "articulate" and "entertaining" but you are neither. You are like many others reading his material, who's reading yours and who gives a shit? You are a bigger groupie than any of us...matter of fact it's starting to look like a man-crush to me. Better watch it Brother K.

• The Etymology of the Word "Caucus"   3 days 10 hours ago

My argument is with the arrogant asshole, that I acknowledge with the more proper name of Kenny. He put forth a challenge to prove him wrong—which I did—and he lacks the spine to admit either his error or his lie.

Evidence being what it is—a difficult to find dictionary, the avoidance to properly translate the etymology key and the obvious misspelling that he used to solidify his argument—leans toward a lie. The necessity to lie over this implies not only deep-rooted narcissistic sociopath tendencies, but also the blatant racism that oozes out the core of his worldview. His unwillingness to recognize these traits makes any essay he puts forth questionable in sincerity and a tremendous lack of integrity in the subject matter. I don't waste my time reading his stuff anymore, because it's repetitive, adds nothing to the discussion, spends time blaming, castigating and excoriating, but more importantly, lacks ideas for solutions.

This habit continues on air. Kenny likes to patronize Thom (known as kissing up). He does this only because it gives him an opportunity to push his agenda (known as kicking down). By constantly asking rhetorical questions he presents a self-importance on matters of race without ever having to provide solutions. Advocates of a cause need more than to present the problem, they need to provide solutions. More importantly, Kenny shows his disdain for real advocates of change, such as spitting on Martin Luther King, Jr. He does so by fighting against one of MLK's goals: To judge a man by the content of his character, not by the color his skin. He is unwilling to debate an issue without first injecting contrast of skin color into the argument.

He minimizes valid counterarguments by prefacing it with a racial epithet. He cannot even debate on an equal platform, preferring to always place separation via race. Simply put, I call Kenny an asshole not because of the color of his skin, but because he's an asshole. To understand Kenny's worldview one can paraphrase the pigs in Animal Farm, "Everybody's equal, but I (Kenny) am more equal than others, especially if you are white." Which contradicts his claim that blacks don't "want more, they just want the same as everybody else." If he cannot abide by his own edict here on the forums, why trust anything he has to say on the issue?

He tosses in "white privilege" if one questions his words. Of course, there's nothing to support his accusation, but it's his way of having to avoid facing his personal demons of excessive arrogance and racial devisiveness. Ironically, there have been topics suggesting of his own white privilege, as he has said on Thom's show that he simply cannot vote for Hillary. For someone who says he cares so deeply about issues of race, he's willing to let the possibility of a known racist become President. Apparently, having a personal hatred of a candidate supersedes helping his cause. If this is the case, how sincere can he really be about his cause?

At least Donny voiced "regrets", regardless of his lack of sincerity in doing so. He at least made an attempt, feeble as it was. This puts Donny miles ahead of Kenny, which says very little for Kenny.

• Donald Trump: Champion of the Working Class (time to harpoon this whale)   3 days 10 hours ago

Though I started this, I don't particularly like the tone of the dialogue. After all, this is my lawn you are relieving yourself on. I would prefer humor and satire in place of some of the bombast and epithets. Of course I will forgive myself if I engage in that technique on occasion..my lawn, remember? We have a lot of idiots in America...the land where you are free to be an idiot. The land where you are free to be ignorant. The land where Pokeman Go achieves a higher priority than informing youself about issues and critical thinking. The table has been laid for a Trump candidacy......we have way too many people who take pride in being ignorant. The problem in part seems to be that many of the benefits of freedom have been paid for in the past and too many people today are freeloading on the first and second amendments. Maybe the fever has to peak before there is a good prospect that some degree of recovery is possible. Trump is a product of the stupid elements of our culture. Of course a lot of this has been baked in the cake for generations now......as was said decades ago (and I am only paraphrasing) "the system is set up with the objective of keeping the rich idle and the poor busy." Too busy to understand what is going on, but not too busy for pop culture BS.

You do get to live in bliss when memory is short don't cha? How is la la land your hindess? Do you plug your ears while you shut your eyes and chant I can't hear you to attain that bliss? You must do or else you're completely stupid. One or the other, but I can't quite make up my mind which.

Your last little treatise is so easily debunked I'm not going to bother with it, but take heart perhaps zap. will say something about it. Why you took offense to my, what I thought was a rather artful (maybe even humorous), way to depict close to 80% (as a guess) of the american population I can only speculate on. However sarcastic it may have been, it's true and anyone that cares to look around knows it. Or they live in la la land.

Hello hello! Take your fingers out of your ears.

What makes you think I or anyone else here is going to change any minds? Particularly with subject matters that are so evident at their face value. Particularly with matters you deal with, (YES YOU!) look at and face and live with every single day and minute. AND YET still don't even bother to think about any of it but just blithely just wander through each day in turn as if it was some god given right. I'm not here to change your mind.......I'm here to kick you in the ass.

Maybe you'll wake up. Then maybe, just maybe you'll change your own mind because I can't do that for you........ and neither can anyone else. That's up to you.

Wakie wakie your hindess.

• The “Greatest Nation on Earth”   3 days 19 hours ago

rs allen I was just razzing you back. Plus for anyone else reading your post, I just wanted them to know ,up here we live in peace love and harmony. Except for our right wingers and believe me they try the same bullshit up here as down there.

My rant for the day.

The right wing have numerous times tried to stir up division between English and French here in Canada, using hatred and differences to divide and weaken our society, They've tried to destroy our half century old single payer health care system and replace it with Americas failed for profit system. They've tried under funding social programs, punishing the poor and disadvantaged, who usually vote liberal. They've talked of privatization of seniors pensions, turning hundreds of billions of pension money over to the corporate casino. When in power these right wingers made it easier to buy guns in Canada, cutting red tape streamlining the process, while at the same time with a majority government destroying a successful multi million dollars gun registery put in place by a previous liberal government. Right wingers don't believe in climate change, calling it a leftest conspiracy, refuse to believe the science, even went as far to systematically destroy pertinent government funded research studies. They've allowed multinational oil companies to extract our climate harming dirty oil sands, defile our virgin north country, dumping untreated pollution on the ground, for future Canadian tax payers to pick up the tab, externalization big oil costs, while allowing corporate raiders to run off with huge profits. They've pushed religion into politics, setting up in our Parliament an office of religious studies. They've disrespected women's right to control of their own bodies. These right wingers have sent peace loving Canada off to fight recent global wars and like our America neighbors our soldiers have come home in body bags, fighting a wars that weren't ours. They've tried using fear and hatred of non Christians and Muslims to polarize and divide our country. These right wingers have cancelled government funded elections, Canada's attempt to stop the rich from buying our politicians and controlling the outcome of our vote. Conservatives personally have tried to help establish a Fox News north under the name of Sun TV , a neocon foot in the door to poison Canada's political dialogue, which failed miserably after year after year of failure. Like in America these right wingers are fiscal frauds, every time they are in power they run up huge debts ,saddling the next government with insurmountable money problems. Our last conservative government had over a dozen ministers and aids charged with criminal offenses, many are doing jail time right now. Like in the US ,most of these right wingers are bat shit crazy mean spirited SOB's, who would sell their their mothers for power. How do they ever get elected, well like in America the rich right leaning Canadian establishment own all the corporate news outlets, both TV and radio and basically fill Canadian heads with corporate propaganda, which would be effective if it wasn't for our publicly funded Canadian Broadcasting Service, which sorts out the bullshyte and tells Canadian's the truth.

• The Etymology of the Word "Caucus"   3 days 21 hours ago

cspan2

HOW embarrassing, i'm haunted by past comments, i wish this sleeping dog had been left to lay.

• COMCAST'S "DAILY" SIGNAL FEED INTERRUPTION, OF THE THOM HARTMANN PROGRAM   3 days 22 hours ago

power corrupts, thom show goes against Comcast own self interest, im sure they would like to pull a thom and shut down the channel, like thom shut down his forum. But Comcast needs to show their impartiality by allowing all channels. Now if thom show got to the point where he was beating msnbc, they would come up with something to sabotage the channel or show. But as long as it is in the deep recesses of cable and not getting huge rating they will let it live.

• Donald Trump: Champion of the Working Class (time to harpoon this whale)   3 days 23 hours ago

Well, i would perhaps say a society where Civics was dropped from public school curriculum in the 1970's.

But I would also say that historically it was a society that designed a peace after complete surrenders that was so honorable that Japan and Germany have been our strongest allies ever since.

I grow up north of New York City. I sat on a couch and cried as the towers fell. I am not sorry we went into Afghanistan to get bin Laden. I am sorry we took our eyes of the prize by invading Iraq.

We are a country that produced John Woolman and the other Quakers of the late 1700's that began the modern abolitionist movement. We are the country that produced the Seneca Falls Convention, the beginning of the organizing for women's rights. We are the country in which the Stonewall riots lead to the organizing worldwide for gay civil rights. We were a major force in introducing the idea of free universal education open to all children.

The thing is, and I just watched, "Where to Invade Next?," which reminded me again of an idea I have long had, that because we are often the first country to express and think about ways of expanding human freedom and increasing compassionate governance, we often end up with the most completely dug in and self righteous opposition to these reforms. This means we are often one of the last to implement them. Odd isn't it?

Like all democracies we at times elect bad people. Of course, every other form of government also ends up with evil people or incompetents in charge. The cool thing about democracies is you can get rid of them by voting them out.

So I would say America is often a country that produces some of the best ideas......and also some pretty awful ones....and then is often the last to act on the good ideas.

But what I still don't understand is how being rude and insulting is supposed to change people's minds? I think Trump has managed to rile up a relatively small minority, but bit by bit the majority of all groups of Americans are getting tired of his antics. He now supposedly even losing support among white working class men.

The thing I never did understood was how he ever thought he would get many votes from women, African-Americans, Hispanics, minority religions and the other groups he has been so insulting towards. And he will need those votes to win in the general election.

You, rs allen, and several others on these blogs seem to think you are going to change minds, like Trump, by being rude and insulting. So what I keep asking is why you think this will work?

• Blacks OPEN CARRY   3 days 23 hours ago

The 2nd link posted does work, but with this software I'm afraid to edit the mistake I made when posting the first link.

• The Etymology of the Word "Caucus"   3 days 23 hours ago

Dealing with the Eristic and Lexicomane Bias

Time to finally destroy Kenny’s argument and using his own criteria I will provide proof that Kenny is also a racist. One could hope that in the end, Kenny would acknowledge his error, but as I believe him to be much of the same character that Donny Trump is, his massive ego will deny any error.

Some time ago, Kenny opted to bloviate about his misguided idea that caucus and Caucasian were connected. He chose to ignore contrary literary evidence, a vast amount of dictionaries, actual books specific to the topic and timelines that dispute his claim. Following is a rehash of his egregious argument with noted reasons to his failed thought process with added notations of the similar Trump Narcissistic Personality Disorder traits that he possesses.

Quote Kenny:

Today, I spoke to Thom Hartmann with regard to Donald Trump and the Iowa Caucuses. During that conversation I informed Thom that the origin(s) of the word "Caucus" is related to the word "Caucasian". It appears many Caucasians took offense and, pathetically, desperately and to no avail made some feeble attempts to discredit the fact.

(Insecure. The need to belittle others to build one’s own esteem)

Actually, it is not a fact. The truth is, is that there is no definitive fact to support any variations of the origin with absolute certainty, but there is evidence that should be taken into account that allows for logical conclusions. However, there are facts that discredit your argument, Kenny. They even exist within the “proof” you provide which I will eventually provide. But first, let us continue with the breakdown of your obstreperous, yet fallacious argument.

Quote Kenny:

Now, I know that an articulate, well educated, eloquent Black man that bludgeons white folks with the truth and refuses to kiss anus is an unwelcome anomaly. For in this venue, all we have are words and ideas. Those that have the linguistic dexterity to convey those ideas in a passionate way, substantiated by facts, win. The less linguistically and intellectually endowed...lose.

(Pompous. The need to appear more important than what they are)

Articulate taunting doesn’t make one well-educated or eloquent, it just makes them a pompous ass.

He speaks of facts, yet his argument will be shown to have none.

The Quiet Riot.

For over a year, I have, in this forum of white, privileged "progressives" been subjected to all manner of vileness; which I have welcomed as it is often amusing, and always validating. I have been called a "racist", a "terrorist" and have had more than a few threats made to my life.

(Baiting: A provocative act used to solicit an angry, aggressive or emotional response from another individual.)

I find the line of being a terrorist somewhat hyperbolic, but the idea that Kenny is a racist is actually on the money and I intend to show that through Kenny’s own criteria, that he is in fact, a racist. Before I do that, I wish to continue to shoot through Kenny’s ill-educated treatise.

Quote Kenny:

So, during Thom's show today, subsequent to my conversation with him, someone commented that the origin of the word Caucus was Algonquian (Virginia Native Tribe). It was rather queer in that it was clear from the individual's tone that he was perturbed (and I think Thom picked that up).

(False Accusations: Patterns of unwarranted or exaggerated criticism directed towards someone else.)

“Perturbed?” I think it’s a classic case of projection. I have reviewed that conversation several times and did not hear “perturbed”. Nervousness? Sure. Maybe even confusion. I didn’t sense hostility as the word “perturbed” infers. In fact, it seemed like a rather, almost benign response from a caller who was just adding his understanding of the meaning and origin of a word in question. See and hear for yourself: https://youtu.be/s7JqfM0gXQc

Quote Kenny:

Thom, courteous as usual, heard the man out and simply said: "well, Shayne-O says it origins are Greek, but thank you".

(Compulsive Lying: used to describe lying frequently out of habit, without much regard for the consequences to others and without having an obvious motive to lie.)

If you review the video, an honest observation shows that Kenny is off the mark. Thom realizes he needs to tamper his emotions and facial expressions because he is on TV. At the very least, Thom rarely exudes any emotion except for an occasional laugh or when he gets really upset with a caller’s opinion. If there is a motive, it’s Kenny’s desire to marginalize the caller by making Thom seem dismissive of him. It’s Kenny’s way of building himself up.

Shayne-O is correct...partially.

From an etymological standpoint, the exact origin (in terms of its first use) of the word is unclear. However, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language (yes a real book that weighs about five pounds,

(Condescending: A kind of speech that is a passive-aggressive approach to giving someone a verbal put-down).

So, now we get into the meat of his criteria. Kenny implies that a book has more value of proof solely based on its weight. Really? Well, his particular book has over 300,000 entries with 2,230 pages and weighs in at 8.2 lbs. It is a dictionary whose entries are based on the second edition of The Random House Dictionary of the English language. That book contains over 315,000 entries and weighs 9.8 lbs. But what of the Oxford English Dictionary, a common dictionary found at many libraries with online availability? It has 600,000 entries, arranged in twenty volumes, with cross-references, etymologies, and pronunciation keys, and includes a bibliography. (http://www.worldslargestdictionary.com) It certainly weighs more than Kenny’s choice and certainly seems more complete in that it has actual etymologies. Certainly the OED would be a better choice for Kenny’s criteria of weight equating to accuracy. So what does OED say about the word caucus?

Quote OED:

Etymology: Arose in New England: origin obscure.

Alleged to have been used in Boston U.S. before 1724; quotations go back to 1763. Already in 1774 Gordon (Hist. Amer. Rev.) could obtain no ‘satisfactory account of the origin of the name’. Mr. Pickering, in 1816, as a mere guess, thought it ‘not improbable that caucus might be a corruption of caulkers', the word “meetings” being understood’. For this, and the more detailed statement quoted in Webster, there is absolutely no evidence beyond the similarity of sound; and the word was actually in use before the date (1770) of the event mentioned in Webster. Dr. J. H. Trumbull (Proc. Amer. Philol. Assoc. 1872) has suggested possible derivation from an Algonquin word cau-cau-asu, which occurs in Capt. Smith's Virginia 23, as Caw-cawaassough ‘one who advises, urges, encourages’, from a verb meaning primarily ‘to talk to’, hence ‘to give counsel, advise, encourage’, and ‘to urge, promote, incite to action’. For such a derivation there is claimed the general suitability of the form and sense, and it is stated that Indian names were commonly taken by clubs and secret associations in New England; but there appears to be no direct evidence.

The book then provides several samples of “no direct evidence.”

Quote OED:

1760 Boston Gaz. Suppl. 5 May The new and grand Corcas... The old and true Corcas.

1763 J. Adams Diary Feb. (1961) I. 238 This day learned that the Caucas Clubb meets at certain Times in the Garret of Tom Daws.

1788 W. Gordon Hist. Independence U.S.A. I. 240 More than fifty years ago, Mr. Samuel Adams's father, and twenty others..used to meet, make a caucus, and lay their plan for introducing certain persons into places of trust and power.

It continues with seven more examples, but you get the idea.

For having no direct evidence, there is a long list of “circumstantial evidence”. The legal definition of circumstantial evidence is distinguished from direct evidence, which, if believed, proves the existence of a particular fact without any inference or presumption required. Circumstantial evidence relates to a series of facts other than the particular fact sought to be proved. The party offering circumstantial evidence argues that this series of facts, by reason and experience, is so closely associated with the fact to be proved that the fact to be proved may be inferred simply from the existence of the circumstantial evidence. In many cases, circumstantial evidence is the only evidence linking an accused to a crime; direct evidence may simply not exist. As a result, the jury may have only circumstantial evidence to consider in determining whether to convict or acquit a person charged with a crime. In fact, the U.S. Supreme Court has stated that "circumstantial evidence is intrinsically no different from testimonial [direct] evidence"(Holland v. United States, 348 U.S. 121, 75 S. Ct. 127, 99 L. Ed. 150 [1954]).

In this instance, you are being asked to make a judgment of origins of a particular word and if there is a connection to another based on ALL evidence provided.

What of the word Caucasian? The OED defines it as such:

Quote OED:

Etymology: < Caucasus, name of a mountain range between the Black Sea and the Caspian + -ian suffix.

A. adj.

Of or belonging to the region of the Caucasus: a name given by Blumenbach (a1800) to the ‘white’ race of mankind, which he derived from the region of the Caucasus.

a. A native or inhabitant of the Caucasus.

b. A member of the ‘Caucasian’ family, an Indo-European; spec. a member of the ‘white race’, opp. one of other ethnic descent.

Note Caucasian comes from a mountain range not because of the Greek origins of the name of the range. It’s a word that’s a descriptor of a people from a region, and not having any connection to the original root word itself. Creating any derivative connection is being dishonest and disingenuous. It would be akin to saying that Virginians are queens because the state was named after a Queen.

So the evidence presented so far is a combination of circumstantial and direct evidence. We have a word, caucus, that was in use in the American colonists vernacular as far back as the early 1700s, while the word Caucasian came into existence many years later. So it would follow, Kenny’s argument must be that Caucasian is an extension of caucus.

We know words evolve. I’m sure we can agree on that. But it should be noted that Caucasian comes from Caucasus, the mountain range where it is said that Caucasians resided. So, it stands to reason to find where Caucasus comes from.

The Greek word for Caucasus has it’s own roots from a Scythian word (Krowkasis) as stated by Pliny the Elder, in his Naturalis Historia. Also to note, it has a Pelasgian root —kau—meaning “mountain”. It’s a fair guess that it is not a Greek word but simply a name that the Greeks are reporting.

So any relationship between caucus and Caucasian has no merit in common language roots, nor definitions.

I hope you are still with me, because research is a process of gathering knowledge. So moving along, we try to understand Kenny’s motive of his book of choice.

So why choose Webster’s? It certainly can’t be because of its availability, since it can only be found in less than .25% of US libraries. One would need to travel several miles or more depending where you live, unless you happen to have your own copy.

But why even use a dictionary? The question at hand is the origin of words, the etymology or history of words. Why not do work that matters such as looking into a book on the etymology of English words? After all, if you were diagnosed with cancer, would you consult a general practitioner for treatment or an oncologist?

So I went to A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the English Language. This resource finds the origins of caucus as: A word of Algonquian origin.

And Caucasian as: formed with suffix ian; 'Caucasus', a compound meaning lit. '(the mountain) shining with ice'.

As one can see, there is an amount of certainty in the Algonquin origin, unlike what Kenny would be willing to concede only because he thinks his resource of choice says otherwise.

Quote Kenny:

maybe the intellectually lazy among us should start picking up such things as opposed to the intellectual cheapness of "going on line") clearly states that the Algonquian is "alleged" and "less probable" in terms of origin.

(Name-Calling: Use of derogatory or dehumanizing terminology to describe another individual or group)

Because if we do actual research, rather than be intellectually dishonest, we find many dictionaries don’t disqualify the Native American origin.

Or perhaps weight has nothing to do with Kenny’s rationale. Perhaps it’s called coming to a conclusion and finding the resources to back up one’s preconceived bias.

One dissent does not negate a majority. Or does Kenny not also believe in climate change?

So much for that.

Medieval Latin (caucum, and caucus) refer to a "drinking vessel"

So much for that.

Back to Shayne.

Shayne was/is correct (and Shayne is a genius with a law degree which makes him, necessarily a "word nerd" . I, too, have been described as a "word nerd"). Let's see if you folks can keep up.

The word "caucus" has its roots in the Greek "Kaukos".

The word "Caucasian", from the Greek "Kaukasious (equivalent to "Kaukos"+ ios adj. suffix) + -AN."

(Bullshitting: Making stuff up simply to appear in the right)

AND THAT’S WHERE YOUR ARGUMENT FAILS.

First, let’s review the evidence before we destroy Kenny's argument.

I would note the fact the word "kaukos" is found only in one place as a Greek gloss on a Latin form found in a book not to be published yet for a century and a half of it’s initial use by the colonists. It is known as the "Corpus Glossariorum Latinorum, ed. Loewe, Goetze, Schoell, l888-l924” as pointed out by Professor Harris. (http://ducange.enc.sorbonne.fr/caucus ) Let’s not forget that Johann Blumenbach’s use of Caucasian appears in 1779. The obvious argument is that the use of “caucus” is in use both before “kaukos” and “Caucasian”, so now we have the discrepancy of timelines. But again, it would seem outside literary sources are ignored by Kenny, because facts and such mess with his reality. So rather than debating existing facts that dispute his argument via impossible to connect timelines and factual evidence that disputes his claim, let me go the route of shooting down his theory with his own weapon of choice—the dictionary’s entry.

Now let’s revisit his claim of “irrefutable” evidence:

Quote Kenny:

The word "caucus" has its roots in the Greek "Kaukos".

First of all, the correct wording is (< Gk Kaukásìos, equiv. to Kaúkas (os) Caucasus + -ios adj. suffix) + -AN

Note the difference: kaûkos vs Kaúkas or see for yourself: https://youtu.be/W6uiAXJCdDY

It’s much like the difference between red and read; there and their; refuse and refuse; meet and meat. Get the idea? Similar maybe-- but not alike-- and certainly not the same. They also mean two different things, which make them two different words, which is why there is no connection between the two.

For someone who insists on having great intelligence, you missed the fact that the words are two different spellings.

Kaukásíos which is the actual, mind you, correct spelling from the dictionary, (Καυασιοςοσ; pronounced kaf-ká-si-os) actually refers to Caucasian, someone from Caucasus; Καύκασος stands for Caucasus and is pronounced Káf-ka-sos. (For your listening pleasure: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/caucasus)

Kaûkos = καῦκος = cup, and is pronounced kaf-kos. (Kakos means evil) How do we know that? Well, if you look at the entry it has: perh. < ML caucus drinking vessel, LL caucum < Gk kaûkos. (Translation: perhaps from Medieval Latin, caucus which means drinking vessel, Late Latin caucum descended from Greek kaûkos.) Note the “perhaps”. Not a true vote of confidence from the dictionary.

While Kenny tries to discount the Latin word, he would also be dishonest in doing so, as his dictionary asserts < ML caucus drinking vessel, LL caucum < Gk kaûkos; meaning the Latin forms came from the Greek word, because a drinking vessel can be a cup. He seems to have neglected reading the etymology key of his dictionary and note the importance of the “<” symbol meaning "descended from, borrowed from" and is used to show descent from one language or group of languages to another.

For Kenny’s lapdogs, because logic and how to read a dictionary is not within their mental capabilities: http://logeion.uchicago.edu/index.html#καῦκος

You can suggest it’s close enough to justify your conclusion, but that makes as much sense as saying stringent and stringer are connected because the letters of the first syllable are the same. This is where all that previous etymology evidence comes into play. Because now we have the proof of two words whose origins mean two distinctly different things, therefore dispelling any connection between the two. It’s similar to claiming a knife as evidence that was used on the victim, when in fact the victim was shot with a gun. Oops, you just lost your case!

Plus, if we look at the Latin versions we get caucus vs Caucasi. Once again, the only similarity being the letters of the first syllable. A true word nerd would take into account the difference of letters at the end can change the entire meaning of a word.

So Kenny not only erred in presenting the words correctly, as they were in his dictionary of choice. He erred in saying “equivalent to "Kaukos”… because it is actually spelled “Kaúkas”. Or perhaps he just lied, hoping that the rarity of his dictionary of choice would make it difficult to prove him wrong.

Quote Kenny:

Now, it taketh NOT a mental giant to figure that out.

(Infantilization: Treating a person as if they are much younger than their actual age.)

What does it make you since you didn’t see they are actually spelled differently?

Quote Kenny:

It will be a cold day in the Caucusus (see what I did there?) before anyone will be able to vanquish me with real intellect.

(Lack of real humor: Makes poor jokes due in large part to poor personality.)

I just did. By the way, you lack humor as much as the ability to think outside the limited range of your so-called intellect, as the Caucausus mountains are named as such because of the icy tops. (I know this because I researched it). Ice exists best in extreme cold situations. So it would appear you were vanquished long before you began.

Quote Kenny:

Stick with vituperation and intellectually vacant bloviation.

(Projection: The act of attributing one's own feelings or traits to another person and imagining or believing that the other person has those same feelings or traits.)

You speak first-hand as you obviously have excessive experience in those traits. Much like your brother Donny Trump.

So why did Kenny stick with Webster’s? Could it be that it is difficult to locate and is rarely available in libraries or bookstores and because of these issues, it would be a challenge to point out his error? Perhaps. But a much heftier dictionary provides key information he wishes to ignore. Is it because the single source of his choosing suits his preconceived bigotry? Or as I opened this post he chose to ignore contrary literary evidence, vast amount of dictionaries, actual books specific to the topic and timelines that dispute his claim because it fucks with his worldview? I’ve heard of climate deniers, but word deniers? A true word nerd would never settle for the easiest route of understanding the meaning of a word. A true word nerd would make a concerted effort to research all avenues, consider the possibilities and then make the most logical conclusion. But most of all, a true word nerd wouldn’t be so stupid as to neglect the obvious difference in spelling, unless they were being deliberately dishonest as a means to push forth their racist worldview. Occam’s razor was the goal, but it failed, either because of stupidity or dishonesty.

Now because it would seem Kenny prefers that the proof of a word’s meaning only exist in a dictionary, let’s stay with Kenny’s criteria and his dictionary of choice let’s look up “racism” in Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language.

We turn to page 1591 and find racism defined as:

Quote WEUDEL:

n. 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination. 3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. [1865-70; < F racisme. See RACE2, -ISM]—rac'ist, n., adj

That’s no misreading, nor misspelling and nothing edited out.

Yet the formula, P+P=R, that he insists defines “racist” does not exist in this dictionary, nor does it in virtually any dictionary. It does exist in books written by sociologists, such as Race, Class, and Gender in the United States, (1991) by Paula Rothenberg, but I certainly don’t see any reference to “prejudice plus power” in his dictionary of choice, so therefore, by Kenny’s own criteria, he is by definition, a racist.

Of course, if you wish to stick with the formula, you must conclude all your little essays are pointless because you must admit that the written word has no power.

For the people who are weary of this pompous ass, just remind him that according to Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, a book that weighs a little over 8 pounds, says he is a racist, because as he claims, the weight of a book is the final arbiter and to hell with all other pertinent information.

Quote Kenny:

At least, it appears, there is some temporal gratification in that.

(Racist: hatred or intolerance of another race. Another attribute of yours, just like your brother Donny).

Yes. Yes there is and I am basking in that right now.

• Blacks OPEN CARRY   3 days 23 hours ago

Apparently the above link doesn't work, so I'll try again............ If this doesn't work, search youtube for Jim Jefferies - gun control

• Blacks OPEN CARRY   4 days 9 min ago

Australia had no shortage of fearful citizens who also thought that they needed a gun in order to feel safe. Twenty years ago, the Australian government successfully implemented commonsense gun control measures, and they haven't had a mass shooting since, and they still have their fair share of crazy motherfuckers. Difference is, their crazy motherfuckers don't have unfettered access to mass murder firearms. The following 5 minute video link features the very funny and brilliant Australian comedian, Jim Jefferies, discussing the absurdity of the arguments used by Americans who oppose commonsense gun control. If you like part 1, be sure and watch part 2, where he equates the 2nd admendment argument with the argument used by those who owned slaves. At the 5 minute mark in part 2 he also dwells on the argument (if certain guns are illegal, only criminals will have them)..................... Warning: GunNuts may find Jefferies offensive, because the truth can sometimes hurt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?vOrR9IaXH1M0

• Donald Trump: Champion of the Working Class (time to harpoon this whale)   4 days 4 hours ago

Helen Willis

WHAT ELSE BUT STUPID would you call a society that would consider re electing a Republican party that just years ago on its watch allowed the most devastating attack in Americas history, collapsed the US economy nearly causing a world wide great depression, doubled Americas debt in just 8 years, caused the death of thousands of Americans military in two unwinnable wars which have cost Americas treasury an estimated 3000 billion dollars, disgraced Americans by the use of kidnap and torture , lied to the US public and lead them to war, which caused the death of nearly a million middle east citizens, destabilized the whole region, bringing rise to terrorist groups like ISIS, resulting in a mass migration into Europe not seen since the second world war. And now is represented by a no nothing rich establishment racist, egomaniac ,still who has managed to attract the vote of 40% of the American electorate.

• What happens in a musician's brain when they play a song?   4 days 7 hours ago

You want to feel as if you are getting great value for your money, even if you are ordering from a restaurant in person. So how do you pay the client, you do not have to sacrifice any aspect of quality for a lower price. Pizza Take Out Boca Raton

• Blacks OPEN CARRY   4 days 8 hours ago

Mr. Zap, good God you scare me sometimes in your mirroring of my thoughts. The United States of Arrogance was "founded" by felons of one type or another by felonious processes both technically and morally.

Brother Ghost, you bring up a very interesting issue, in a peripheral sense, that I have addressed in several speeches. It is complex and does not lend itself to a response here; but, you have inspired me to tackle it in writing. You know how we get down.

Mr. Tom D, I am relatively certain that I do not share your socio-political perspective. However, I possess enough intellectual honesty to concur with you in your last point which is why the "gun control" advocates puzzle me. It is estimated that there are 400 million guns in a populous that is less than that. In other words, a gun for every man, woman, child and dog in the U.S. That fact is further quantified by the fact that there are, probably, many millions more guns that are unregistered and made by private gunsmiths.

I strongly advocate gunsmithing classes for Black People in America.

Back to my point: with a society that awash in guns, there is NO way of "controlling" them. "Gun Control" , in the United States, is a "liberal" myth and talking point everytime one of these sick, demented, mainly white boys, flips out in a church, school, movie theater, etc. Ergo, aside from door-to-door confiscations nationwide, which will lead to civil war or a bloodbath of some other name, it is what it is; which is why the United States is...doomed.

• Donald Trump: Champion of the Working Class (time to harpoon this whale)   4 days 8 hours ago

Wrong question your hindness. The question you should be asking is, 'is it I ?'.

• Donald Trump: Champion of the Working Class (time to harpoon this whale)   4 days 10 hours ago

This is a great time for progressive politicians to reach out to the working class of American. Two "small" issues that are the kind of issues that would actually help the working poor in America would be regulate and limit abusive scheduling and raise the minimum wage.

I once more have to ask the question of Zapdam and rs allen what do they think they will achieve by insulting large groups of people? Do you think writing stuff like this will encourage the voters of America to vote in ways that will promote the ideas you support?

The electorate of this country is a marvel of social engineering at it's finest, they have an attention span of a 30 second commercial along with a memory that rivals the fruit fly as a true wonder of nature.

Don't be surprised if trump is elected. But what the hell, we only have worse or worser to look forward to.

• The “Greatest Nation on Earth”   4 days 10 hours ago

Zapdam: I enjoy your blogs and comments also. However, I mentioned his successful daughter because he brought his family to the conversation by saying she is going to two specific, prestigious universities. He also stated he has told his family to leave when they could. If my blog is goading, I am certainly not insulting or in any way being uncomplimentary. I did have to laugh when you said this could elicit a nasty response. So does any disagreement . The profane sock puppets wait to spring like firemen at the pole. Doesn't bother me, I think its funny.

I am writing a blog on the greatness of America. I hope you will read it an provide your usual intelligent counterpoint. (Something tells me we could disagree on some of my points.)

c

i

Community Archive

How Funding the Vote, Schools & Police Could Change America

One of the most amazing things about Donald Trump as a presidential candidate is his ability to say something interesting or at least hint at something interesting when he appears to be saying absolutely nothing.