Recent comments

• OUR very SURVIVAL is at RISK   1 day 10 hours ago

Alberto

Those comments must be directed to the United States, because it was the Americans that bombed a hospital , killing doctors and patients. And Americans don't represent the world, just 5% of the world.

• Sad but necessary meme: Bernie FOREVER But Hillary in November   1 day 10 hours ago

You just made my case for me. Presidents don't make policy they sign it. They can lead the disscusion, but it is Congress that makes law. Obama tried to close Gitmo and I am sure you remember that the Republicans with the help of some Democrats made it illegal for him to do so. None of the examples politifact listed as broken Obama promises was an idea that Obama said he would support and then turned around and vetoed. He faced more obstruction than any other President to date. The Republicans simply would not take yes for an answer. But the electorate is changing. Old white conservative voters are dying and young people are much more liberal. The few Democrats that blocked the public option from the ACA are no longer in the Senate. There are more liberal Democrats in the Senate now and political demographics suggest that Congress will become more liberal in the coming years. So, if we can pass leislation then it will be harder for Hillary to break a promise. She will have to actively veto legislation that she said she would support. She might do so, but there are consequences to that. I have seen public outrage change political actions.

By politifact standards, Bernie Sanders is making promises that will be broken. Bernie's ideas are big. They push the system. I don't believe he will get everything through Congress that he wants. But I am sure he will try. If the idea fails that is not the same as breaking a promise.

The candidate who actually broke his promise was Bill Clinton who implied on the campaign trail that he would oppose NAFTA. One of the first thing he did was push NAFTA through Congress. I remember he was not specific on the campaign trail. He left himself wiggle room. I want Hillary to have no wiggle room on TPP. If she is going to be President, then I want it to be very hard for her to veto our agenda. That gets harder for her if she makes her promises in plain English.

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 10 hours ago
    Quote NatTurnersGhost:

Stupid is, as stupid does.

Name calling isn't an argument. Why do you have a problem with Larry's use of the word nigga and not the slurs used against him in this blog and comments?

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 10 hours ago

Stupid is, as stupid does.

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 10 hours ago

Thanks for the civil discourse. I completely disagree with the two part argument. The use of the word nigga was the cherry on top of the sundae. It is a complement. Do people really believe that Larry said all those nice words and then decided to end it with an insult?

• How Donald Trump Could Defeat Hillary Clinton…   1 day 11 hours ago

Thom I have followed you for years, but this sounds very much like support for Trump. You were supporting also only Bernie and not Hillary. I think I am going to give you up, Thom.

• RT America and Young Turks Blocked from Hulu   1 day 11 hours ago

Who owns HULU search. The mainstream media is owned and operated by the 1%. You hear what they want you to hear. You do not hear what they do not want you to hear.

Hulu, LLC
    NBCUniversal Television Group (32%)[2]
    Fox Broadcasting Company(36%)
    Disney–ABC Television Group(32%)

• Sad but necessary meme: Bernie FOREVER But Hillary in November   1 day 11 hours ago

Sooo, you guys know better than Bernie Sanders what will advance the Progressive cause. Exactly what political campaigns have you guys won? Exactly when has your political message won over $200 million in individual $27 contributions?

Sorry, I think I will take the advice of the expert that also happens to make sense.

I wish you all the best in your anger and despair.

• How Donald Trump Could Defeat Hillary Clinton…   1 day 11 hours ago

You mean Thom that Hillary will change her stance on trade AFTER Obama signs TTP and TTIP? Give me a break. The Democratic Party NO LONGER represents the economic interests of working people. The GOP never did and the D Party used to before Al From and Bill Clinton came along 25-30 years ago. And since then, we've had a Democratic Party dominated by corporate shills. And on top of that, the best candidate to come along since FDR that truly represents the workers (Bernie Sanders), the Democratic Party did everything they could to dismiss him and the progressive base. No more corporate Democrats!!

• Enough With the Attacks on Thom Hartmann   1 day 11 hours ago

Mr. Kenyatta, I could not agree more with your 4/26 post - Thom Hartmann is a man of integrity and darn near enlightened!! One only has to read one of his many writings, i.e., The Prophet's Way, and find how true that is. And it was that book that allowed me to become of one of his many "parent alumni" of one of his many accomplishments -- New England Salem and Hunter School! Having said that, I'm hoping the Hunter School will be reopened soon since its website is still up and Thom (or his newsletter writers) had a reference to the Hunter School just yesterday!?

• I will not support the LESSORS of either of the two evils -not again   1 day 11 hours ago

Quote zmb:

Quote Zenzoe:Your use of the slur Democrat Party says more about you, therefore, than it does about the Party. It says, one, you have a tin ear with regard to grammar, and, two, that you’re cherry picking the facts to suit your hatred.

This ease with shooting the messenger is what makes progressives not want to stand besides YOU. We don't like the Democratic party because it is filled with people like YOU.

What you know about me might be a thimble’s worth, but I must say your sudden hatred now of the Democratic Party seems like an interesting moral dilemma for you, given your earlier statement: “Oh hell no, I would vote for Hillary multiple times against any Republican. That's just my choice… As much as I can't stand Hillary, she'll get my vote.
    I’m not convinced that’s awfully consistent of you, not that I disapprove.

Quote zmb:

I don’t suppose you noticed that I included Jeremy Scahill’s criticisms of Hillary Clinton and did not disagree. What’s “one-sided” about that?

Quote zmb:

...

Bernie Sanders has ZERO connections to the Neo-Conservatives and Hillary isn't even one degree separated from them... they are her closest friends.

DID YOU READ SCAHILL ON BERNIE SANDERS’ SUPPORT OF THE NEO-CON WAR AGENDA?!!! Nope. Didn’t want to think about it…

Quote zmb:

But you don't wanna discuss Hillary's Neo-Con ties right? We don't have tp discuss her voting record... we can just go straight to who her friends are right?

Let's discuss Hillary's endorsement by Robert Kagan... what... you don't want to?!?!?

Did I say anything whatsoever in support of Hillary Clinton? Did I indicate I'm ignorant of her record or that I approve of it?

DID YOU HAPPEN TO NOTICE THAT I’M VOTING FOR BERNIE IN THE CALIFORNIA PRIMARY?!!!

Quote zmb:

Let's discuss how Koch brothers said that, "It’s possible that another Clinton could be better than another Republican this time around"

Let's talk abou that!!!!

We’ve already discussed Koch and their highly dubious support for Hillary.

Having trouble keeping up?

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 11 hours ago

This may be a quixotic effort, and I may well be torn to pieces (with words) for even attempting it, but I think what Larry Wilmore said to President Obama can be broken into two parts, understood for what it really was, and then calmly accepted by those who are now so angry.

Part One was quite touching. It was Mr Wilmore's personal thanks to President Obama for changing Larry Wilmore's subjective experience of his own world, in a way he never dreamed would happen in his lifetime. It was also a reminder to all of us of the historic significance of Barack Obama's 2008 election, regardless of what we may think President Obama did or did not accomplish.

Part Two was a shocking but quite intentional reminder of the worst of the racism that defines much of our country's history and Larry Wilmore's own life. That it was paired to Part One's heartfelt personal thanks, made it even more jarring.

I believe the way to understand what Mr. Wilmore really said is to recognize the common human thread between Parts One and Two. It is normal human behavior to try to control something that scares or injures us with words and play. Kids raised in war zones play war games despite the real horrors of war around them. We watch scary movies so we won't be afraid in other parts of our life. Slam Dancing is (was?) a way of "controlling" the perceived violence around us by turning it into personal entertainment. Some of us even jump out of airplanes so we can feel like we control our mortality when we open our chutes. Blacks in our society have done the same very human thing to shield themselves just a bit from the actual racism around them. They control their own subjective experience by adopting and transforming parts of the racist language thrown at them into a part of their own culture. To criticize anyone for defeating their own personal experience of evil in this very human way is obviously neither understanding nor kind.

Unfortunately, many of us can now easily choose to live in our own sterile media ghettos and no longer even hear, much less understand and sympathize with many such normal human adaptations. Seemingly shocking words that are an everyday part of other sub-cultures are systematically screened from our personal media "safe zones" and become "micro aggressions" to be self-righteously stoned (with words) as heresy in our own obviously superior uber-culture.

How about practicing some of the enlightened humanity many of us believe we have achieved, and appreciating the raw human emotion captured in both parts of Mr. Wilmore's personal thank you to President Obama? It was obviously not pandering, nor was it intended to be just another one of his jokes.

• How Donald Trump Could Defeat Hillary Clinton…   1 day 12 hours ago

The trouble is, Hiarly won't change her tune on trade deals. Four years of her means four more years of disadvantageous trade deals. Trump is running to the left of Hilary on trade as well as on war policy. If he were not such a bozo, vulgarian, and racist, he'd have my vote.

• How Donald Trump Could Defeat Hillary Clinton…   1 day 12 hours ago

As a Bernie supporter myself, I will struggle to vote for Hillary in November. However, is it unethical, or unprincipled, to vote for the lesser of two evils or (better stated) to vote for one candidate so that a greater evil does not prevail?

• How Donald Trump Could Defeat Hillary Clinton…   1 day 12 hours ago

You're quoting tabloid news the examiner?? Hahaha!!

• How Donald Trump Could Defeat Hillary Clinton…   1 day 12 hours ago

Tell me Trump doesn't take Wallstreet money and I have a bridge in Michigan to sell YOU!!

Like his financing of big bohemith sky scrapers were all self funded, plus his bankruptcy let's say four? Yeah he's talking the talk but he'll never walk the walk! Congress will make him more hated than Cruz!

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 12 hours ago

PS: You probably understood the typos in my text. Words are not everything. As the Perian rugmakers said, "None are perfect, save Allah."

• How Donald Trump Could Defeat Hillary Clinton…   1 day 12 hours ago

Hillary is going to do what Wall St is paving her path to the White House with $100 bills to do: more "free-trade agreements" that will replace democratic self-government with corporate self-government. If you think, as Thom thinks, Clinton opposes the TPP, I have a bridge to nowhere I'll sell you.

Clinton is going to lose to Trump because revolutionaries, not Bernie's sheep, will either write him in or vote for the Green Party candidate. That's the Bernie or bust pledge movement.

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 12 hours ago

Sticks and stones.

First of all, these scribbles I am making here do not inherently mean anything. It's merely by convention that we presume that they might. The whole idea of communication relies upon the very shaky conception that people will know what you meant by your mumbles. If a dog barks at you, you have to decide the dog's intent and how to respond.

If a racist is trying to intimidate you, why let him do so with a short, convenient bark? If the nasty meme employed is effective against you via the bark, the racist has won. I've seen racist people use the silent treatment. The person of one race enters the gas station seeking directions. The people inside (of another mind) just pretend that they cannot see or hear him. After he leaves, they silently spit tobacco on the floor where he had stood. Why? They don't even know. It's a habit they have picked up. It derives from the economics of centuries ago, and spitting makes them feel important. My words won't change them. I go outside to give directions. It's risky for me to do that. I know they have my car on the rack. Courage is not about not being afraid. It's about choices.

Spitting does not make people important, and neither does spouting words.

If the speaker is not a indeed a racist but part of a different subculture, who are you to decide upon his linguistic patterns? Who are you, the deity-appointed grammar police?

Some people think the French are stuck up, but if you try to speak in French with them, many will show you their better angels and help you with the menu. Mr. Wilmore (who is the same personage no matter how I might address him) uses other words than the one in question here, such as "on fleek". From my point of reference, most of the people using those two words have no idea where they get any derivation. I doubt Larry knows.

If you learn French, they remind you of an old movie, "Un Flic" ("A Cop") about a cop who goes around killing other cops. Would "who is shooting whom" make any lives matter any more or any less? No, killing people in wars does not stop war, it just starts the next war.

That's my point.

The roots of slavery stem from yet another root meme, the one in which you can take some people and then abuse their supposed "status" to get them to do all the work you define as being required, at a supposedly minimal cost (to you). The slaves are not always black or of any particular color. It just helps the cruel perpetuators of such myths in claiming that those "other people" are somehow not necessarily human "like us", therefore, we may "legitimately" (by "law" which we passed) abuse them, and the gods won't mind, nor the police. They're not like "us." Figures don't lie, but liars can figure.

It's not always people of another shade that sell you down the river. If there are black people capturing other black people in wars in Africa in the 1500's, and those particular captors have little use for their prisoners, then perhaps they sell them profitably to that guy traveling about who was born as an Arab. He speaks Swahili, a language that the sellers understand, even though it's not "theirs" and it's not "his" by birth. The Arabian "knight" finds out the captives can be resold in Brazil or somewhere else, because they don't natively have black people there, and the color coding of people fits in with the tall tale that the gods don't like folks "like that." It's really a scam for abusing others so you don't have to do the work. You can run away as a slave, but changing your flesh tone is even harder. (If you don't think tattoos hurt, it's amazing.)

The Irish are starving due to the Potato Famine? Let's drag them over and have them deal with the folks that we've decided arrogantly are the "slave class." Why work ourselves? The meme of slavery is a system that has seected lies that all work in concert, all to abuse those "we" want abused for economic advantage. Frederick Douglass (who clearly knew) said as much in his writings: Both the masters and the slaves are corrupted by slavery. It's not hate that starts the fire; it is inhumane indifference toward morality. The "hate" just serves to divide and conquer. So do the "scary words."

If you are French, "nègre" means "black." It has nothing to do with what the speaker intends or believes or has decided. In France, people just presume that this particular noise means very dark in color. In the French dictionary, it does not talk about "these are people we like or hate." Vive la France.

I don't decide to draw my map of reality simply upon whether you call yourself a "person of color," I try to get inside to the truths at work or in play.

I've lived in the past daily with people who have used the N-word upon each other every five minutes, often also in giving the gambling odds about the "Mississippi schools." It clearly wasn't because they hated each other. I presumed it was just that using the word took the sting out of others saying it. "Look, your bullets are blanks! Names will never hurt me."

I personally couldn't use it, even when they saved me from racists in Mo' Town who did not like me inside "their" bar. It's not that I have a speech defect, I did not want to be misunderstood. Yes, in my dictionary, a 'racist' is someone who thinks it is okay to make presumptions and hate you due to pigmentation differences. I know that others will use that term "racist" differently. Their is not human vsion without point of view. Point of view is not imaginary, it's part of a process. Welcome to the Tower of Babble. It's all just dog barks, whether the dogs involved are scared or angry or delighted to see you. Bark, bark, bark.

Let's get to the root of the evil: Abusing others for fun and profit is a very bad idea. No words should get in the way of seeing the underlying evil ideas behind the things about us.

It's just words we are talking about. The listener is left responsible for decoding them and matching them with whatever was intended. I don't order the French to speak Spanish. I just translate the Pig Latin. Okay-yeah?

"Mom, he's looking at me!!!!"

Please kindly note that an accurate map of the entire cosmos is not contained a tweet, even if the entire moon is reflected in a dewdrop. We're not all Dogen Zenji. The Buddha said that Enlightenment cannot be taught. The rest is left to the student.

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 12 hours ago
    Quote NatTurnersGhost:ANYONE, and I mean anyone that can twist their mind into calling the term Nigga the "ultimate respect" is either from Mars or stupid. Which would explain why that same stupid person equates the word "man" and Nigga.

I appreciate the way you name call and insult instead of making a logical argument on facts.

Watch the ending again. Did President Obama take it as an insult or complement. Listen the the context of the ending.

• RT America and Young Turks Blocked from Hulu   1 day 12 hours ago

I have never actually subscribed to Hulu, but wanted to check it out, and see what they had, but I dont think I will now, I watch TYT on UTube,Abby Martin from Breaking the set now has a show called Empire files on UTube, its not a daily show, i think its weekly but you can watch it anytime, but if ABC/Disny has a heand in it, I am sure they had something to do with it.

• You Did It…My Nigga! Thank you Mr. Wilmore   1 day 12 hours ago

• I will not support the LESSORS of either of the two evils -not again   1 day 12 hours ago

Your selective quoting of Jeremy Scahill to illustrate how Bernie is somehow as pro-regime change as HIllary is one sided. Jeremy Scahill has a high standard of peace and non-warfare that easily surpasses 99% of Democrats and maybe 50% of progressives... it's almost an impossible standard to meet (an incredibly bold and moral stance because Jeremy is a very moral and bold young man).

Jeremy Scahill will always be to the left of any US politician... he is on the uber left.

All of Bernie's supporters know he isn't a dove and has a complex voting record voting for lots of issues that he didn't necessarily agree with over the years. We aren't children and realize that candidates aren't perfect... we just find the one that fits us best.

Let's talk abou that!!!!

• Daily Topics - Tuesday May 3rd, 2016   1 day 12 hours ago

I want to see President Bernie set up a web site, accessible from a web browser and from any government office lobby and from kiosks around the USA, that allows people to log in with their social security number, green card number, drivers license number, or whatever, using a password that they set at a government agency after positive identification, where the site lists politicians, along with people who would like to, or are willing to, run for a political office, and allows anyone logged in to choose to be listed as willing to run for a given political office... and I would like such a site to allow people to cast a "for" or "against" or "undecided" vote with regard to any bill or referendum or candidate or amendment, and to express approval ratings and such.... and to change their votes and counted opinions at any time.  ....so we could finally have a TRUE democracy... for the first time ever.

• Webcast About the Mobilization Around the 28 Pages   1 day 13 hours ago