Recent comments

• Should presidential elections be publicly funded?   20 hours 53 min ago

I am amazed at the positive responses when I wear my Bernie for President shirts. I have used all my Bernie buttons, T's, and bumper stickers; I am awaiting an order of buttons, T's, stamp. I have a Bernie bear. I find myself "campaigning" rather it is educating and reporting events not covered by most media. I do this at community meetings, awaiting trains, trolleys and buses, on the Capitol Limited, and the farmers' markets, especially the one at South Station, Boston, the former site of Occupy Boston

• Coal....How we've been ripped off....the toxic spills.....corrupt politicians!   20 hours 54 min ago
    Quote rs allen:

And even as massively as the cattle ranches are subsidized for grazing previlages, Bundy won't pay the nominal cost of use. What does that make him?

a tax protester?

• "How can someone get pulled over for not signaling and end up dead in three days? It just doesn't compute,"   20 hours 54 min ago

Reply #12

Therein lies the big difference the two of us. I don't judge people by their sex, skin color, or sexual preference. I try to judge them by their interaction with me and those I observe them with. I don't listen to the "white privilege" or "poor me" I am some other color than white excuses. You apparently carry around a "white guilt" complex and I am not here to correct you for your beliefs. I don't subscribe to it, or endorse it. I have seen too many people of all colors, gender, and sexual preference, succeed.

Sectioning the population into groups that can be exploited for their own benefit seems to be a favorite tactic of those the left. The Thom Hartmann show devotes three hours a day to that purpose. It benefits him because controversy keeps him on the air, it does nothing to repair the damage caused by this type of behavior.

You want a better world? Drop your pre-conditioned attitude and stop lumping those that may disagree with you into one category. Life is full of variables, most people learn to adapt. Those who do not, just keep playing the same tired tune over and over.

• American Douche Bag vs Cecil the lion   20 hours 59 min ago

I see in my haste to get out into the cool morning air to split and stack wood so that I can take advantage of this summer heat to dry that wood for winter that I left behind a few grammatical messes. Oh well, I think the gist of it's still there.

I have come to look at our situation in systemic terms now. That does not mean I in anyway dismiss the individual and her or his angst at facing what we now face. I just think blame at that level is not a solution, though it certainly can be an extremely important form of acknowledgment.

For instance, I acknowledge and personally feel all the elements of outrage aimed at the now infamous dentist from Minnesota who doug honors with the title of this thread. But we are of such complexity as a society that I must leave it to his neighbors to put any actual pressure on him in order to shame him for his act. We are not well organized to do that for every systemic occurrence.

So, who's going to shame Monsanto, DuPont, or the biggest and less known (generally, it seems when I ask people) baddest of all, Cargill, into behaving according to some common sense of human decency and morality? Looking closely at what that entails, I see it brings up what they are. And what they are at heart (a lovely word that has no anatomical correspondence to a sociopathic institution) -- each and every one of them -- are institutional machines (In his Technological Society, Jacques Ellul points out institutions are a kind of advanced technology). Machines that have no more self reflective human sense of morality, no capacity for remorse, not any more than any other machinery humans create. And I have no hope for any future machine creations that involve this much questioned potential of AI sentience. They do, however, fit within the artificially abstracted ecologies of complex human social systems and have their own legal imperative to survive and profit in whatever way our legal system can be construed to permit.

For the big picture I'll turn to Chris Hedges, once again, to summarize my response to all the others who have expressed their own very valid and personal versions of the insanity that we face in our complex systems. Here are his concluding paragraphs to the article I linked above:

Quote Saving the Planet One Meal at a Time, by Chris Hedges:

“If we had a different timeline, or if we had 1.5 billion people on the planet, then there might be halfway measures we could take,” Kuhn said. “The situation we are dealing with ecologically, however, means there is no way left but an immediate shift to a plant-based lifestyle.”

“How can we best use our resources?” Oppenlander asks in “Comfortably Unaware.” “What foods will have the very least effect on our planet? Which foods best promote our own human health and wellness, and which are the most compassionate? Do we really need to slaughter another living thing in order for us to eat? Or, sadly, is it because we want to?”

We have only a few years left, at best, to make radical changes to save ourselves from ecological meltdown. A person who is vegan will save 1,100 gallons of water, 20 pounds CO2 equivalent, 30 square feet of forested land, 45 pounds of grain, and one sentient animal’s life13 every day. We do not, given what lies ahead of us, have any other option.

As a side note I began to pay attention to those vegan-oriented environmental savings when I studied ecology back in the early seventies at one of the founding universities for the Green Revolution, Michigan State University, or Moo Yoo, as some of us fondly called it. One "fact" I discovered was that 90 percent of the food that went into feeding an animal to be slaughtered and consumed was turned into, basically, manure. Of the 100 percent of that consumable energy, only ten percent ends up on the eating tables of meat, dairy and poultry product consumers.

That and growing up on a farm, an experience that remains a part of my present day food choice awareness. It was in its day, a more or less organic family farm. As such a very personal farm, unlike those who were farming industrially in exponentially growing numbers as we of the family farm genre were driven into the endangered species realm. It was an environment where I had to get to know the animals that were to be consumed in various ways... the chickens laying eggs I stole from their nests, candled and prepared for sale at Ann Arbor's farmer's market, the cows "giving" milk with the help of our mechanical milking machines, the pigs.... well, some became the sausage on my breakfast plate to go with those eggs, and that was something I eventually could not eat.

Every now and then I sit back and look at how easily my individual concerns are instantly wiped out by the collective choices of 7-point-something billion humans.

• Coal....How we've been ripped off....the toxic spills.....corrupt politicians!   21 hours 11 min ago

• Coal....How we've been ripped off....the toxic spills.....corrupt politicians!   21 hours 16 min ago
    Quote Instant-RunOff-Voting:

Latest EIA data show levelized cost of electricity for service in 2020:

Coal running 9.5 to 14.4 cents/kwh. Nuclear 9.5, Gas 7.5 to14.2 cents/kwh. Hydro 8.4 cents. Wind 7.4 to 19.7 cents. Solar 12.5 to 24 cents. Capital cost is highest with clean coal tech 7.7 to 9.7 cents. Lowest with gas 1.4 to 4.1 cents. Nuclear 7.0 cents.

Wind and Solar are generally not practical as serious energy sources due to severe geographic limitations, long distance transmission, low EROEI, intermittency, requirement for 100% fossil backup, storage, overbuild, short life-span, high material inputs.

In reality, only Nuclear energy is capable of replacing fossil fuels. which currently supply 85% of world energy. Happy coincidence, Nuclear also has the lowest emissions of any energy source.

Thanks for those numbers, yes I agree that wind and solar can only do so much becuase of the fact that they cannot generate 24 hours a day and the transmission lines are just too long.

Nuclear is great, but you do have the waste problem, and the results of a nuclear accident are horrific. But yes, there are certainy very limited emmisions (if any) from a nuclear plant.

I'm not in the industry, so I cannot talk about the waste problem with any kind of authority. And how many nuclear accidents have there been since 1979? Three that I can think of (Three Mile Island, one in Russia, one in Japan). That's not too many in my book, but did I miss any? Obviously for some, one is too many.

• "How can someone get pulled over for not signaling and end up dead in three days? It just doesn't compute,"   21 hours 16 min ago

How do you know he is not a white guy?

Quote hollygolightly:

How do you know Dexterous is a white guy?

The points dexterous repetitively makes are consistent of white guys who can't quite understand what it means to be 'not' white. I suppose one could make the point that any male of any color would behave the same way - with comments based on beliefs/emotions without any facts or factoids to back up the opinions. But my experience has shown it is mostly white men that take their privilege to behave this way.

Maybe you want to do some blogging about reminding people of their manners - theres a fertile pit for you to work from. I am in agreement with those that have observed manners seem to be lost in this year 2015. I don't see this issue with Sandra Bland as about manners. After all she is dead - for a bogus reason. And we've seen many videos of now of dead Black people who never got the chance to show off their manners before the cops killed them.

Why not start with the cops manners?

Why don't they be the peace they want us to be?

I would be willing to bet that if the cops regained control of their emotions, to use their emotional intelligence for manners then you & I would not be engaged here in dialog about their egregious abuse of their public servant position.

I guess you haven't read the issues here. "How could someone get pulled over for not signaling and end up dead" It just doesn't compute". . . Your comment gives me the impression you are a white gal who also doesn't know -or care - what it means to be female and 'not' white. Also with a strong & blind adherence to 'obedience'.

BTW, my White mother told me two wrongs don't make a right - did your mama ever say that to you? What you are saying here is - that two wrongs make one of the wrongs right - if the wrong is committed by a cop - alleged in the line of duty.

This is wrong and goes against the spirit of the law and why the texas troopers stressed this to their officer. Thus, you are promoting that the cop person can wrongly go out of control - the cop who in reality has the inherent responsibility to keep their wits about them. This is inconsistent and a contradiction. . . and dangerous too as we continually learn.

• Daily Topics - Monday August 3rd, 2015   21 hours 23 min ago

Jeff in Denver is right about fuel efficiency. My old car, a 1994 model, got 42 mpg originally, and degraded to 34 mpg by the time I got rid of it last year. My new car, a 2003 model, gets 29 mpg at best. I think electric features and headlights that won't turn off may be responsible for much of the decline; we make cars do a lot more than drive now.

• Republican Debate   21 hours 30 min ago

I hope somebody monitors these things.

• Daily Topics - Monday August 3rd, 2015   21 hours 36 min ago

This insider-outsider stuff is great to hear. I think I've been an outsider in every organization I've been in, including school, friends and family.

• Coal....How we've been ripped off....the toxic spills.....corrupt politicians!   21 hours 39 min ago
    Quote MrsBJLee:

What does Cliven Bundy's situation have to do with the American public not getting their fare market value of the coal that's been stripped our of OUR lands? This topic if you haven't noticed is about COAL!

Cliven is also guilty of not paying for his grazing use of our public lands so how should that make me think twice? Where the heck are you coming from? He is guilty of ripping us off too and that's the only thing that compares.

You gotta give Bundy credit. He's always been saying that the Feds owning all that land is a bad idea. You can see the results...a massive subsidy to the coal miners.

• And Gilmore makes 17...   21 hours 40 min ago

On the demise of "Left" programing on MSNBC...
    I haven't heard anyone discuss what happened to Current TV.
    I think when Current TV's programing got too Progressive, insider Al Gore decided to silence those voices by selling it to Al Jazeera.

• Wave Energy   21 hours 49 min ago

We are NOT being told the truth about "renewables", that they are NOT "renewable" & neither are they "green".
    These hight tech electric generators are totally dependent upon FOSSIL RESOURCES to manufacture, mantain & repair, they are no more "renewable" than solar panels & wind turbines & all will fade away after the oil age.
    So called "green renewables" are just another way of making a PROFIT from OIL!
    Don't believe the hype from those who have $$$ in supporting "renewables", most of these devices are made in the dictatorship of communist China & just look at how dirty the process of making these devices is!!
    Our air is cleaner because our pollution is now spewing out from China which has much weaker environmental controls than we do.
    Not only are these devices not "renewable", their not "green", they cannot power our civilization & they are very expensive.
    Sure the costs have gone down, slave labor is cheaper than labor in a country that at least pays a living wage but still, these devices can only be afforded by those with a good income & who own their own homes & that is a small minority of the worlds population.
    The cost of OIL will rise again, we MUST have oil for our civilization to function or it will collapse & collapse is certain no matter what we do now because climate change is affecting our agriculture & when that collapses because of expensive oil or climate change, we will be in very deep doo doo!

• All they need is love, love, love is all they need.   21 hours 50 min ago

Um, so the Ukrainians would have thrown her out onto the streets, if she hadn't been adopted? Apparently, yes. And I thought we had a heartless system of foster care. But at least our government tries.

It's beyond tragic for children without families, across the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_children

I can't help wondering what's going to happen to these two girls, once they enter school. American children are not known for their sensitivity.

• American Douche Bag vs Cecil the lion   21 hours 55 min ago
    Quote Alberto Ceras 2:
    Quote rs allen:And as senseless as the killing is, frankly I'd rather they kill each other than killing off the wild for fun and games or wall decorations.

Of course. Empathy and compassion gotta stop at the doorstep. But why not just keep on killing "each other" right at home? A human life is a human life wherever it happens to be, is it not? Why did anyone get worked up about Sandra Bland anyway? Or those church-goers down in Charleston? She---ee---et, man, save the wild, forget the two-legged domesticated creatures. Well, friends and family excepted. As we know, and as our parents taught us, "they" don't count - I mean those "others," all those who haven't any better sense than to have been born in some foreign country. And when "they" can't kill themselves fast enough to suit "us" we'll send in the drones. Those people. Ugh. "They" can't even speak English.

You really are a condensending little turd. What gives you all this moral high ground? What gives you the right to tell me what I should find important? What I should feel.

You find the Mideast situation so damn provoking? Why aren't you over there with a gun in your hand or there saving a baby or standing the line against yet another illegal settlement instead of lecturing me about what you perceive as my lack of values beyond the door jamb. You know nothing about me you little shit.

• Women are FORCED to throw out tampons & maxi pads but you can keep your guns? Nice go'in TEXAS!   21 hours 56 min ago
    Quote Legend:

Abortion is a womans choice, not a mans.

Pregnancy is a woman's predicament, and to a lesser extent also a man's...usually

Quote Zenzoe:
    Quote Maine:
    Quote zenzoe:

Congratulations, Petruchio— you’ve returned to voice the eternal rights of men to make decisions for women, as we have no agency of our own, only that DICKtated by men, since we, the inferior sex, should no more have the same rights as men, any more than cows should have the right to decide when to be milked.

Umm...I also disagree with men killing babies as well.

Congratulations, Hack.

Hack? What’s that supposed to mean, Petruchio? Did I misspell something? :D

BABY: a very young child (birth to 1 year) who has not yet begun to walk or talk.”
    BABY: a very young child, especially one newly or recently born.”

Now who’s the hack? Deliberately using an emotion-packed word —baby— to describe an embryo or fetus, which has not been born and is not a baby, is to be a hack and a propagandist. How about sticking to reality, eh Petruchio?

You didn’t answer my question: How do you feel about capital punishment?

I would only be for the death penalty if it was a voluntary contracual arrangement. I am against the state performing the death penalty.

I am against Men Killing fetuses too.

• And Gilmore makes 17...   22 hours 7 min ago

I know Thom believes we need to also support Hillary even if we want Bernie to win. I do not agree with you saying Hillary is progressive, I think she is way inside, far more than.Bill was. I live in Portland, Oegon and I recall hearing about Hillary Clinton and Vera Katz,.when she was an OR legislator, asking all the major corporations what skills graduates needed to possess to be good employees. The answer was something like; "Employment units must have the following 5 skills, be able to operate a keyboard, a calculator and the remaining 3.were behavior related, like working in a team and able to go along with the conscientious of the group...This was part of the Carnegie Group when she was governor' s wife. I wanted to tell you about his and while looking for when this happened i found a letter wrtten to Hillary right after bill was elected as President, on Nov. 11, 1992 from National Center on Education nd the Economy written by Marc Tucker..This letter was put into The Congressional Record on Sept. 17, 1998.
    After reading this letter in it's entirety I believe Thom will have a different view of Hillary. It begin with...Dear Hillary, I still cannot believe you won. But utter delight that you did pervades all the circles in which I move....
    He goes on about the Rockefeller's and the subject they were discussing was what you and Bill should do now about education, training, and the labor arket policy. "Our purpise inbthese meetings was to propose concrete actions that the Clinton administration could take between now and inaugration, in the first 100 days and beyond."
    This is a very lengthy letter that states many House and Senate Bills in places and what needs to be done, "to advance the agenda on which you and we have all been working..."
    I really hope after Thom reads this and takes a minute to check out Marc Tucker and his background maybe you can discuss his on your show? And, please Thom, if I am wrong and misunderstood this letter I really want to know your thoughts. I value your opinion and look forward to hearing back re this letter
    Terry

• 6TH WORLD MASS EXTINCTION UNDERWAY ?   22 hours 9 min ago

Really, what city is that? The only areas I know of that can run close to 100% renewable electricity are ones with excellent hydro resources like Norway, Hydro is practical but severely limited. And Norway is still 46% dirty fossil total energy, 52% including dirty biofuels. It is flatly impossible to run the world on renewable energy without some major scientific breakthroughs that have long remained pipe dreams.

• And Gilmore makes 17...   22 hours 10 min ago
  • Hillary Clinton 2016 - Say 'No' To More 'Hard Choices'   22 hours 16 min ago
    Quote fudgemeister:

I am wondering if Thom even reads this forum. I am watching him now and he seems to be ratcheting up this adulation of Hillary. He is becoming like Stephanie Miller who is on the verge of orgasm every time she speaks of Hillary. Hillary is trying to con every progressive out there. All of a sudden she has become a socialist in the past month. Give me a break! No more corporate Dem march towards a slow death!

Thom is trying to be fair to Hillary Clinton, because he realizes if Bernie Sanders doesn't get the Democratic nomination.... we progressives will be stuck with her !

I wouldn't call it a "circular firing squad". Both Thom and Bernie have been gentlemen in addressing Hillary's shortcomings. But for the past 10 years that occasional Friday segment has been called "Brunch with BERNIE" and not "Brunch with Hillary". Think about it !

• Women are FORCED to throw out tampons & maxi pads but you can keep your guns? Nice go'in TEXAS!   22 hours 17 min ago
    Quote Maine:
    Quote zenzoe:

Umm...I also disagree with men killing babies as well.

Congratulations, Hack.

Hack? What’s that supposed to mean, Petruchio? Did I misspell something? :D

BABY: a very young child, especially one newly or recently born.”

You didn’t answer my question: How do you feel about capital punishment?

• THE BUSH FAMILY BIN LADEN CONNECTION   22 hours 37 min ago

And of course all the evidence linking Saudi Arabia to the 9/11 attacks was redacted in the corrupt 9/11 commission report. Leaks have confirmed that 9/11 was funded by Saudi Arabia.

Also the total MSM news blackout on the Saudi led oppression of the popular democratic revolt in its neighbour Bahrain. And the fact that Saudi funded and supported the development of ISIS. MSM will not discuss that. And with vast military resources they are leaving America, Canada & Europe to fight & pay for the ISIS campaign.

• American Douche Bag vs Cecil the lion   22 hours 42 min ago
    Quote .ren:
    Quote A Haven From the Animal Holocaust by Chris Hedges:

Only in the insanity of corporate America can nonviolent animal rights activists be charged as terrorists while a white supremacist who gunned down African-Americans in a South Carolina church is charged on criminal counts. Only in the insanity of America can Wall Street financers implode the global economy through massive acts of fraud, causing widespread suffering, and be rewarded with trillions of dollars in government bailouts. Only in the insanity of America can government leaders wage wars that are defined as criminal acts of aggression under international law and then remain, unchallenged, in positions of power and influence. All this makes no sense in an open society. But it makes perfect sense in our species of corporate totalitarianism, in which life, especially the life of the vulnerable, is expendable and corporate profit alone is protected and sanctified as the highest good.

The animal agriculture industry causes suffering, death and environmental degradation—to humans as well as animals—on a scale equaled only by the arms industry and the fossil fuel industry. And by eating meat and dairy products we aid and abet a system that is perhaps the primary cause of global warming and is pumping toxins and poisons into our bodies and the rest of the ecosystem.

As Chris says, we "aid and abet" by being Comfortably Unaware of what we collectively, as an industrial civilized nation ('civil' etymologically coming from civis, or "townsmen"), take part in killing and eating:

Quote Saving the Planet One Meal at a Time by Chris Hedges:

My attitude toward becoming a vegan was similar to Augustine’s attitude toward becoming celibate—“God grant me abstinence, but not yet.” But with animal agriculture as the leading cause of species extinction, water pollution, ocean dead zones and habitat destruction2, and with the death spiral of the ecosystem ever more pronounced, becoming vegan is the most important and direct change we can immediately make to save the planet and its species. It is one that my wife—who was the engine behind our family’s shift—and I have made.

Animal agriculture is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than all worldwide transportation combined—cars, trucks, trains, ships and planes.3 Livestock and their waste and flatulence account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51 percent of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.4 Livestock causes 65 percent of all emissions of nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas 296 times more destructive than carbon dioxide.5 Crops grown for livestock feed consume 56 percent of the water used in the United States.6 Eighty percent of the world’s soy crop is fed to animals, and most of this soy is grown on cleared lands that were once rain forests. All this is taking place as an estimated 6 million children across the planet die each year from starvation and as hunger and malnutrition affect an additional 1 billion people.7 In the United States 70 percent of the grain we grow goes to feed livestock raised for consumption.8

The natural resources used to produce even minimal amounts of animal products are staggering—1,000 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of milk.9 Add to this the massive clear cutting and other destruction of forests, especially in the Amazon—where forest destruction has risen to 91

Thanks, ren, for posting those two articles. Chris Hedges consistently sends eloquent clarion calls out to the rest of us, and this one —animal abuse industry/meat consumption/ethics— is long overdue. I, for one, have been annoying everyone with the very same message for a very long time, mostly finding that people do not care to link their consumption of animal products to damage of the environment, especially not the idea that their consumption makes them complicit in global warming, etc. They don't want to think about it and make long lists of bogus reasons they cannot give up their meaty diets. Plus, to bring it up at all is to be a "soft-headed extremist."

As for the government labeling animal rights heroes as "terrorists," I can understand it— it must be terrifying for industry owners to have to face the ugly truth about themselves: they're scum, as low as human beings can get. And that realization has to be defended against with aggression and force.

It is in that respect that I agree completely with the complaint about "civilization." It ain't civil, at least in its more egregious manifestations of human chauvinism, greed, lust, selfishness and indifference to the suffering of vulnerable others, which has to include the abuse and extinction other sentient species.

• Women are FORCED to throw out tampons & maxi pads but you can keep your guns? Nice go'in TEXAS!   22 hours 46 min ago

Abortion is a womans choice, not a mans.

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

Chris Matthews is a Shill for the Insider Machine

Mahatma Gandhi supposedly once said about all successful political revolutionaries that “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”