Recent comments

• Sony vs North Korea   1 day 17 hours ago

I hope that Danish cartoonist prints a whole series of Kim il Sun(sp?). Japan has a whole adult comic book industry and might audition a Korean dictator character with sick fetishes, the first in the series could be free.

Cartoons online would be another format. Anime (?) or something close is animated images.

A happy meal Kim doll toy would be good too.

The chia pet franchise could work the grass sprouts into his goofy haircut style.

State lotteries could put goofy images of kim on their scratch offs.

Kim candles maybe? With an accompanying lighter in a Dennis Rodman pez style. Flip the basketball and there is the wheel to ignite the lighter and then the wick out of Kim's head.

• The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...   1 day 17 hours ago
    Quote Kend:It seems you have all given up. What happened to hope and change? Many countries including yours have been a lot worst off and pulled out of it. Living in Alberta Canada home of the oil sands I have to admit I am a little worried myself with oil prices dropping to nothing. I have cut back my spending and are buckling down expecting the worst and hopefully I'll make it through.

Kend ~ Well, that makes ONE of us. You are one special guy, I have to admit it. Everyone I know is happier than a pig in excrement over lower gas prices. Perhaps you are a global warming fanatic? A closet environmentalist? I think not!

Quote Kend:In my humble option. One of the reasons the middle class may be shrinking is they have changed. Have you tried to hire anyone lately? There is no good employees left. So anyone who is any good at all excels rapidly through the middle class to the upper class.

Kend ~ "No good employees left"? Really? Last I looked there were a plethora of good employees who could not find work. Educated, skilled motivated and in grave need of work. How different are our countries.

Quote Kend:Oh well I know by now no one here wants to listen to a far right guy like me so I'll just say happy holidays to you all .

Kend ~ Now you're saying something I understand and completely agree with. You sure do know how to make me smile. Happy Holidays buddy!

• F*** The EU - Neocons And The Neonazi Ukrainian Coup   1 day 17 hours ago

The Siege was released in 1998.

(YOUTUBE) The Siege - Movie Trailer

"On 11/6, Freedom Is History." Or was that, "On 9/11, Freedom Is History?

Everyone should watch this movie.

• Last Sunday's Cheney Meet The Press   1 day 17 hours ago

Well, here's a link to the transcript of last Sunday's Meet the Press, including with Cheney. The program can only be seen if you are subscribed,

• The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...   1 day 18 hours ago

Until we see what the problem IS (and few do), we will remain ONLY symptom solving. Some symptoms get resolved others don't and new symptoms are always being created. Somtimes the new smptoms are old resolved symptoms returning in a new form. A review of history shows us that.

• Last Sunday's Cheney Meet The Press   1 day 19 hours ago

Sorry if we disappointed your high standards of biparisan fairness. I saw enough of the Todd interview to get the drift. While it is true that Todd did not give agreement and blessing to Cheney and asked questions that Cheney found offensive and wrongly conceived, Cheney did not explode or get hit by lightening. Todd did not call him out in so many words.

OK, this is the Sunday Morning Show. It is a long time since it is where conservatives have ever sweated or squirmed. Normally, they get to pose their nonsense in serious garb with nodding assent from the puported journalists whose big deal is preserving access to next week's insider gossip in DC. News is what they decide to tell us, not what anyone pries out of the witness on the line.

So Cheney is uncomfortable and Todd does not give him the courtesy Dick wants. I think it is good theater, but not much in the journalism department. And, "uncomfortable" is not exactly the right word. Cheney has no difficulty swatting away what he considers to be bullshit from nobodies. He may not like being asked these questions, but there is no self-reflection when he dismisses his critics as fools.

Sorry, while I am glad that you can see the revelation of a new age dawning in Darth's discomfort, all I see is the arrogance of a paranoid ahole.

So, pardon me if all I want is to see Darth, dumb-silent, listening to the rest of us read him his lengthy indictments.

Sunday Morning continues to reinforce the wrong things.

• The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...   1 day 19 hours ago

Things may have to get worse before they get better. Once the very wealthy have bought a much larger portion of our elected officials and after labor has lost everything it has ever gained then the workers will rise up once again like they did in the late 1800s. Labor unions will once again be a dominant force in combating inequality through labor organizing and political action. People can only be pushed down and kept down for so long before they stand up and fight back. It's getting closer and closer to that time. There has been a lot of talk about how low minimum wage and close to minimum wage jobs are not providing enough money for basic necessities. Walmart and McDonald's have been used as examples of these low wage jobs but it's not just large stores and fast food resturantes that provide low wages. Far and wide there are these types of jobs everywhere you look. They are in every facet of the construction industry, in wearhouses, in small stores, in the communications industry, in all types of resturants, in schools, in churches, in small government, and like I said, everywhere. When the working people become so poor that they can no longer support the wealthy by buying their goods and services then the economy will collapse. That is when things will start to turn around for the working class. It doesn't have to happen like that because we can keep it from happening like that by electing those that will stand up to the anti-labor forces. Then the working class will be the dominant class.

• The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...   1 day 19 hours ago

I havn't been on here that much recently but I have to say it is kinda depressing reading this. It seems you have all given up. What happened to hope and change? Many countries including yours have been a lot worst off and pulled out of it. Living in Alberta Canada home of the oil sands I have to admit I am a little worried myself with oil prices dropping to nothing. I have cut back my spending and are buckling down expecting the worst and hopefully I'll make it through.

• The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...   1 day 19 hours ago

Mark J. Saulys and Loren Bliss ~ Wow! You guys are quite heavy. "Drown me in the shallow waters before I get too deep."

I agree with both of you. However, I refuse to let loose of my personal spiritual beliefs that inspire everything I do. I also refuse to go down without a fight. Our world is far older than we have previously believed. I also feel confident that we as a species are far older than we know. We have done all this before my friends. Our collective sense of deja vu cannot be dismissed. Geological evidence cannot be dismissed. We have destroyed ourselves before; yet, somehow, a handful has always survived to repopulate the species and repeat the mistakes in the new paradigm.

I feel confident that this is our doom, to repeat our mistakes endlessly; until we learn to evolve. It certainly won't be easy because the wages of our mistakes make them so irresistible to commit. However, with spiritual guidance I am sure that any obstacle is surmountable. It is the great delusive gift of belief in anything bigger than yourself that makes you capable of acting bigger than yourself. It is the belief in that which is greater than the natural that enables the natural to evolve. Nothing is impossible with belief.

Might I suggest that we spend a little time addressing the problems that face us one at a time with a bit of optimism. You cannot leap a mountain in a single bound. However, if you focus on the few steps in front of you, one at a time, you can leap far further than any mountain in good time, at one step at a time. Determination, patients and faith can be an awesome tool or weapon. At our age, we should know better. Never give up the good fight! Merry Christmas and a very, very Happy New Year to us all.

• The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...   1 day 19 hours ago

Wow! I'm with Stella Jane and DAnne Mark! But women have always been good at finding hope! Greed has no spiritual power! Some of us are old enough to remember when the Berlin Wall was an enormous fact and the USSR was about to blow us up. And look how far we've come! Yes, the Devil will scream harder before it dissolves in a pile of ashes. Remember your very first Sunday School lesson: God is all-Loving, all-Knowing and all-Powerful. That is enough! Merry Christmas, everybody!

• Last Sunday's Cheney Meet The Press   1 day 19 hours ago

It's obvious that nobody here, not even Thom, saw the whole interview, yet they "know" what actually transpired. I thought only Republicans did this.

Chuck Todd showed some balls this time; he usually let's himself be dominated. MY POINT: Let's hope this is the beginning of a change, where ONE of the Sunday talking heads does his damned job. I wrote him an email and complimented him on what I thought was aggressive, fact seeking journalism. I also said that if we don't get more of this, we'll find something else to do on Sunday morning because we're tired of getting nothing useful from them.

• Bureau 121: The Sony Hack Fallout   1 day 20 hours ago

Of course the consortium of theatre owners is bowing to terrorism by not showing the movie. I guess they, as corporate citizens, have this right, especially if they do not want to be sued by anyone injured in any attacks. So now, Sony has some options: do nothing and eat the $44 million it took to make this flick, or release it through Netflix, or release it as a TV movie, or release it on DVD. There may be other alternatives, but these last three do have the promise of recouping some of the initial investment. What bothers me is that the right wing media now are whining about lack of government intervention, which is absolute hypocrisy given their wish for small government which does not interfere much with the matters of private citizens (or corporations, which supposedly are private citizens especially in the realm of political speech). How about Congress passing a law protecting any theatre owner from lawsuits resulting from any injuries concerning this movie? I won't hold my breath.

• Those Who Have Hours and Hours Every Week to Type and to Read Different Web Articles Don't Have Time to Make an Actual Contribution to Society   1 day 20 hours ago

Alice doesn’t live in the United States?! Gee that’s news to me.

You’re right, Robin, I match conservatives’ tone and I do it deliberately. I do it because so many conservatives in these blogs come across like angry, hostile bullies. The thing is, I’ve had lots of practice standing up to bullies. They don’t hurt me or scare me anymore.

I can smell a bully a mile away. These assholes can pontificate, infinitum, the kind of shit you just posted, sneering what a washed-out bunch of narcissistic old retirees you think we all are and what a waste of time these forums are and how we could be out there saving the world instead and blah-blah-blah… because that’s just what bullies do! That’s their game. They invalidate other people and belittle them, setting out to make others feel like what they say and do is self-indulgent, meaningless and just a big waste of time.

Right-wing organizations have a tendency to dislike forums like these. Not exactly news to many posting here! People are hired by such organizations for the sole purpose of infiltrating online discussions not to their liking, to inject whatever poison it takes to distract, disrupt and sabotage them. Now, I’m not saying you’re one of those guys! I don’t know if you are or not. Regardless of whether you, specifically, are a party to that, there’s a question that keeps nudging at me anyway. Goes something like this: If these conversations were so inconsequential, so meaningless, so patently lame, why are these fascist clowns so threatened by them that they’d go to such lengths to censor and destroy them?

If you would prefer another forum that is the exclusive domain of elite professionals like doctors, lawyers, engineers and architects, what’s stopping you?

You’ve criticized us at such length for not offering solutions. So what are YOUR solutions, other than to criticize us?

The topics being discussed in these forums are often very complex, and many issues tend to overlap. On public forums like these, discussions can go in any one of various directions from whatever starting point they originate. So? What is YOUR solution, then? Blog police?

'Bye. Have a happy life. - AIW

• Ironic Obama comment on Cuba   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote legend:No matter what Obama does it will be wrong to Republicans.

So true...so it really doesn't matter what the Republicans say...they are always so full of crap...such hypocrites and immature babies.

• Ironic Obama comment on Cuba   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote antifascist:So is Cruz going to demand cutting diplomatic relations with RED COMMUNIST CHINA to which the US Congress has moved the entire American industrial base for the last 35 years?

Or, Saudi Arabia whose king has imprisoned two of his adult daughters because the mother escaped to Britain?

• 2ed Amendment "Remedies": Thom Repeats Gun Nut Talking Points   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote mjolnir:

Do you deny that (s)COTUS routinely uses the Federalist papers, period documents, and even Blackstone and English common law to provide interpretive "context" for divining the "Framer's" intentions?

Sure when applicable. But these sources should NOT be used to claim that they represent the intent of the Constitution or early laws when THE CONSTITUTION AND THOSE EARLY LAWS PART WAYS with these historical roots.

Can we agree that if that happens the person making the argument is not being honest? Yes or no?

Quote Paul Treadway:

The Second Amendment allows weapon (the proper name for a "gun") ownership, but it does not prohibit the "census" of weapons owned.

Greetings Paul... welcome to the forum.

I don't think the Second has ANY concern about private gun ownership outside the militia context. Gun control was a matter left to the states... and obviously slave states would never want "gun rights" to be granted to slaves.

But as for the Second... these state run well regulated militias surely knew whether a militia member owned a firearm or not.

MILITIA MEMBERS WERE REQUIRED TO OWN A FIREARM. This is hardly a "right" in the sense one has a choice.

The Militia Acts of 1792 MANDATED...

That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service,

• Did Thom Do A 180 On Immigration Reform   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote drc2:

al3, this tedious noodle flogging thread has been hung up on the absolute of the 180 v. the evolved "shift" Thom and labor made in the light of experience and with some clarity about what the migrant sweatshop and field labor exploitation was compared to the families with some or all undocumented working in hotels and the food industry but having homes here.

While I'm not done debating immigration, I'm pretty much done arguing about Thom's "shift" about immigration. In my view, Thom's agreement with any immigration policy or bill that doesn't result in substantial self-deportation - after discussing the meme of self-deportation for years - as if it were the desired overall result - tells me it's a huge change. There are those here who won't change their mind, and that's fine, drc2.

• Did Thom Do A 180 On Immigration Reform   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote gumball:Lets talk about something of substance, the "illegal employer". The reality is that most of these workers have falsified papers, should employers who "know" that these are illegal workers but does not have concrete proof be prosecuted?

Yep.

Quote gumball:If a guy comes in to interview and has a social security card and such but does not speak English at all, there is a pretty good chance he is not here legally right? Now if the employer still hires him should the employer be subject to penalty?
    I kind of find it hard to believe that if an employer looks hard enough, s/he can spot a re-used SS#. Is it that easy to use a duplicate SS#, in this day and age of big data? Business just doesn't want to go to the trouble and expense of doing the due diligence. And, oh - the labor is cheap and exploitable - a double incentive to look the other way.

And the answer to your question is the employer should be subject to a penalty.

• 1.4 Million Illegal Immmigrant Driver's Licenses in CA   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote drc2:

OK, the 'subtext' is that the pawns are not the kings, rooks or bishops. Yes, something, not 'someone,' threatened their lives and made a desperate move to better opportunity better than staying where American Corporations were taking away their traditional means of living.

You're really evading the issue I raised. Here is what you said

Public safety was the goal agreed upon, and the actual human beings were going to drive to live one way or the other, forced to by structural realities not of their creation.

To which I responded...

You mean someone FORCED these illegal immigrants to break immigration laws to come to the US and now they are victims of motor vehicle laws which they're "forced" to break?

Yup... the subtext is these illegal immigrants bear NO responsibility for their actions. They are victims of "unfair" laws who must be coddled by rewriting those laws for their benefit thus rewarding their law breaking.

So you're saying these illegal immigrants have NO responsibility in their breaking US immigration law and state motor vehicle laws. They are merely victims of laws that stand in their way of escaping what NAFTA did to Mexico.

But that again only raises the question of Mexico's responsibility to its own people.

Why MUST this be a US problem to solve? It's not as if you're suggesting what I think would be the ONLY moral solution: tax those companies who benefited most from NAFTA to pay a special tax to compensate the displaced in Mexico.

What you're suggesting is what I consider an immoral "solution"... to permit these companies to keep their profits... and since the displaced get no help from their own government... the states in the US must go through all sorts of contortions to coddle these illegal immigrants by actually issuing legal drivers licenses because otherwise they'll violate laws and drive without them? What next... don't suspend the licenses of drunk drivers because they'll just drive anyway?

Sorry D... it IS a whacky world you want us to live in.

• U.S. Congress is NOT following the U.S. Constitution On Global Trade   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote Combad57:

Oooh but we are treated sooo unfairly.

No politicos seem to want to install a VAT on imports. at least 142 other countries do. Do as Germany and nearly all European countries do. Think that might pass muster with the WTO?

Is China taking us to the cleaners? It sure looks that way. Look all over the internet for specifics on what China's import duties are. You will find few if any examples. Suffice it to say that U.S. imports from China carry tariffs of 2.5% to about 6% while China typically slaps import tariffs from the U.S. at 30% and up.

Now do you want to talk about currency manipulation?

We keep trying. Talks continue even as China stonewalls and protects their domestic industry. Our negotiators (including Obama) make no pretense of protecting American industry and our work force. They concentrate on making things easier and more profitable for big corporate transnationals and their underpaid CEOs. It's simple. It's called a sellout.

Um...but it's over-regulation, big government, overpaid and lazy American workers that are the problem silly. ;)

I used to argue with Paul-bearers on his site about this. Even Ron Paul himself, IIRC, is a hypocrite about tariffs. Mr. Constitution doesn't believe in tariffs. Oh, well, nice "cafeteria Consitutionalist" there, Mr. Paul. Feel free to chime in - either JRod or Lysander - we've tangled about this before. It's humouous how many Paul fans throw the Constitution in your face on every argument, but mention tariffs, and it's "PROTECTIONIST!" D*mn right, it's protectionist, and it's Constitutional. But cafeteria corporatist Libertarians ignore this fact. Also reminds me of the noise these folks make about the UN, yet are completely mum about the WTO, which is a arguably greater threat. They're corporate Libertarians, like the Pauls.

• Wellness Programs, the Business Roundtable and Corpo-Fascist Activism   1 day 20 hours ago
    Quote gumball:Yes, it would just be the government telling us how to live are lives. When it comes to government, their dictates our not voluntary.
    Well, tell that to someone who has to follow the tech treadmill. Update, update, update. Stuff that works OK for my purposes...discard, discard, discard...then purchase, purchase, purchase. I suppose I can get off that treadmill and still be employable? But then, I do have the "choice" to go back being a burger flipper which I doubt has those demands. I'd say that's employers telling us how to live our lives. And those employers who want to get in your shorts by snooping your Facebook page? Nah, that's not employers telling us how to live our lives, only the big bad gubmint does that.

• Spritual Rape of Mary ... Thom, did you really want to go there?   1 day 20 hours ago

She may have been raped or maybe just had an affair with the milk man but not with a make-believe superstition. Maybe she/he was a hermaphrodite and raped her/himself? That makes a lot more sense that some other-worldly apparition doing the deed. But, you know, this wasn't the first time that someone was born from a virgin that was impregnated by a deity. The ancient Egyptians had their "virgin Mary" giving birth to a healer of the sick and raiser of the dead. And that was thousands of years before the Christian myth. These religions just plagiarize from older religions...change them a bit...to be more believable by the gullible fools who fall for it. But, I tend to think that the whole story was just made up as were all of the other more ancient stories that the Jewish and Christian and Muslim myths borrowed from.

The Cannibal Mary story in the War of the Jews by Josephus was quite a hoot. The original "communion" so to speak! ;-} Mary sure showed them didn't she?

• Wellness Programs, the Business Roundtable and Corpo-Fascist Activism   1 day 21 hours ago
    Quote Dexterous:Ask many of those boiling through the VA system about their "choices"
    I shepherded an elderly relative through the VA within the last several years. Although it did take some work and persistence, I was pretty d*mn pleased at the care he received. The problems at the VA are well documented; however, I wonder how many of those vets that report problems aren't good at dealing with bureaucracies and paperwork, or have nobody to do that for them and be their advocate. Of couse, it should be easier.

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.