Recent comments

• The 13 words you can’t write about Hillary Clinton anymore   19 hours 12 min ago

Those words fit a lot of people. Apply them to the Koch Brothers and see if it fits.

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   19 hours 12 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

Obviously you're AGAIN trying to distract from debates you're losing elsewhere by starting another new thread. DE already posted a long list of deregulation in response to your claim deregulation didn't cause the Bush Crash.

I've pretty much won every debate I've been involved in. I've offered a moral, Constitutional and practical case for a free society. I've backed it up with logic and examples. I haven't engaged in fallacies. The reason I start new threads is because the old threads go off topic and because each new topic deserves its own thread.

• Obama’s Corporatocracy: Nestle quietly bottling as much of California’s water as they can.   19 hours 14 min ago

Purchase a reusable water bottle. Fill it from your tap and use it. You can filter it if necessary. Brita makes filters among others. I keep a few bottles frozen that I can take along and it stays cold all day long.

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   19 hours 16 min ago

Does anyone remember the period of consumer exploitation that followed the break up of Ma Bell? Sleazy phone companies contract with private property owners have pay phones on the their property that charged exorbitant rates with the property owner getting big kickbacks. It's similar to how prisons today rip off the families of inmates.

• A "People's Budget"   19 hours 21 min ago
  • Wisconsin Republicans Abandoning Scott Walker   19 hours 22 min ago

Way to late. It like criticizing the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

• Nuclear 14   19 hours 25 min ago

You look at the map and you can understand why people in Nevada do not want tons being shipped from every direction to one spot in Nevada. The odds of an accident increase dramatically on this one target.

• Nullification: Interview with a Zombie   19 hours 25 min ago
    Quote mjolnir:
    Quote ulTRAX:

Lame in the extreme.

Obviously Woods is afraid to do a real interview so he uses the zombie premise to avoid tough cross examination.

I haven't watched Thom much lately but in my experience he greatly prefers to interview truly sharp people with the built in delay of off-site contact. I remember he had Catherine Herridge on once and she shredded his "talking points" the way a mother would a child.

Thom is at best an adequate interviewer. He's is doing a live talk show... it has to be on a delay and he needs to be in contact with the producer.

What does this have to do with Woods who supposedly has a doctorate in history, through that doesn't stop him from saying demonstrably stupid things... had complete control of these Zombie interviews including the "questions", and could even do multiple takes?

• Harmony in communities   19 hours 28 min ago

To the first 80 backers (even those who could only give one dollar) of the Costa Alegre National Marine Park of Arroyo Seco:

Thanks to all of you, we not only made our goal of 27,000 but we surpassed it by a thousand. Granted, this is not like the beer cooler with gadgets guy who asked for 30,000 and got more than 13 million! Such are the world’s priorities, it seems. Still, we have three days for you to share with your friends and ask them to contribute something. This may be as close as one gets to seeing true action in restoring our oceans to prevent the warnings from happening.

The university team begins its pilot and baseline study soon. The Mexican government is fully supporting us and if the study goes as we think it will, we are on track for a bonafide sanctuary and then two years of “proving” its success and preparing for authentic eco-tourism for the village.

Our approximate projected costs for next 8 months if all goes as expected with the study and SEMARNAT can move swiftly:

• 20,000 USD for The Laboratory of Marine Ecology Team from the University of Guadalajar’s Pilot Study and Management Plan assistance
    • 2,000 for food, T-shirts and bands for community education, committee selections rules and regulations, and signature collections
    • 8,000 for 8 professional buoy markers, anchor chain and anchors
    • 5,000 for enforcement management (radios, boats, staffing)

This is all just for starters and we are going after environmental organization funds and federal funds for future work as relates to the mangrove, etc.

But YOU and YOUR FRIENDS are the true pioneers from around the world who will be responsible for this important happening. You are making history.

THANK YOU!!!!

Por favor, comparta! Tres días más

http://kck.st/19McDZd Rescata a los manglares, rescatarnos?

• Tom Cotton   19 hours 44 min ago

The Kochs bought him a seat in the Senate. It ain't hard to befuddle the Arkansans.

He's just another Koch Bircher lapdog.

• Beekeepers dream! Cool for bee's too!   19 hours 59 min ago

Here is an interesting video of the device in use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWC92NT2Eo

• “Hogwash!" and Other Down-to-Earth Observations   20 hours 46 sec ago

/quotes/.Rumi

“Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”
    Rumi, Masnavi i Man'avi, the spiritual couplets of Maula

(if you mortgage your bewilderment, you may accrue an estate of humility)

• Examples of Deregulation, please.   20 hours 6 min ago

Got enough? How about the trucking industry deregulated in 1980 which caused numerous bankruptcies and mass layoffs allowing drivers to stay in the drivers seat 12-14 hours at a time and causing death and destruction on the roads. How about the S&L dereg causing the crisis of 1989. How about allowing Enron to have a trading floor dealing in energy commodities that they were supposedly selling.

These goddam libertarians don't seem to get that given unbridled free market capitalism the industries are going to get pared down to a few powerful players who can manipulate the markets. Happens every time. It really doesn't pay to rely on the better angels of the big corporate world. You'll get screwed every time. Run amok capitalism ain't what it's cracked up to be.

• The Weight- Bluegrass Style   20 hours 28 min ago

Matchbox 20, and Sister Hazel were linked on my Pandora channel for Shawn Mullins, then I switched to Poco, my Buffalo Springfield/CSNY bias, and Stevie Nicks was offered. then Greg Allman. Damn, it's all good. I just feed it from laptop via USB WiFi to a remote base and treble pair. Jackson Browne just came up. This service knows my taste!

I let Amazon track my searches and purchases, too. Being offered a book is different than being prompted for penis enlargement or erection pills, at least for me it is.

• Ode to Forrest   20 hours 34 min ago

• Indiana's New Religious Law legalizing Discrimination   21 hours 10 min ago

There's really very little in this country that is actually illegal to believe in. For instance, it's not illegal to be a bigot or a racist (to pick two extreme examples everyone understands), a person or peoples can and do go through their entire lives in country being openly so with no legal repercussions until they foist those believes onto the public at large while demanding state protection for doing so.

Just for argument sake let's say I believe fervently in separate but equal and I seek allowance from the state by applying for a license to open a black only bistro? Suppose I only not only actively discouraged white patrons but point blank refuse to serve them? You may well say, screw'em I'd just go somewhere else but it has the best music and the best food. Tough nuggies my friend I've now protection of the state to serve whom ever I believe fits my religiously held tenets.

• Nullification: Interview with a Zombie   21 hours 31 min ago
    Quote ulTRAX:

Lame in the extreme.

• Ode to Forrest   21 hours 32 min ago

That's how I think of my two congnitvely disabled children-- Dumbasses. That, or retards.

• Beekeepers dream! Cool for bee's too!   21 hours 40 min ago

I'm a beekeeper. This invention has been making the rounds at our club meetings and on our discussion boards for a few months now. None of the beekeepers I engage with think positively of this thing. But I'm interested to see if it ever comes to market and if it does would like to see it demonstrated. I envy the money they raised and expect that the fad/hobby keepers will buy this thing if they actually produce it for sale.

• The Weight- Bluegrass Style   21 hours 50 min ago

To be able to sing is a wonderous gift. It must also be therapeautic for the singer, much as a meditation, a work out, a painting, or any expressionist art form.

House of the Rising Sun as a ballad is good. Great guitar work brings it to current art form from 19th century origination. 'tis a song that lends one to share feeling, if one has empathy (conservatives need not apply)*

*previous post was poetry for displaying talent or sharing oneself or one's essence. This one too, in the field of art talent. Singers, authors, actors, all get fulfillment from sharing their gift, talent, skill, or luck**

**Luck. is the current popularity and demand for assholes. Radio jerks, fox, columnists, and more comprising the cottage industry of assholarity (popularity of assholes) or assholology- (the science of social assholes, not proctology), The PHDs of assholedom like Rush or Hannity, are not even certified or licensed, so to become a successful asshole, I guess you just need a mic. I understand there is an intern program or apprentice opportunities for jerks, and dickheads, to climb and achieve their wishes of becoming a Complete Asshole, but scholarships are not publicized.

• The Weight- Bluegrass Style   22 hours 32 min ago

Karaoke for those that can't sing, I think I could do this, almost a beat poem redux.

• Thursday 26 March '14 show notes   22 hours 43 min ago

It is frustrating.

• The banned   1 day 1 min ago

commercial troll...

renada fred

• NASA scientist: California has one year of water left. 3/19/15   1 day 3 hours ago

The 7.5 million dollar water bond that was passed last November by California voters will do nothing to improve the current water shortage in California. At most, it will allow for construction projects to increase the storage capacity of currently empty reservoirs and allow for fresh water to bypass the inland delta through tunnels on its way to southern California,

A decade or so in the future, if California ever gets another wet winter, and the now drained reservoirs begin to fill, we in California can only pray for a few more wet winters to bring them back to their original capacity,

So if by then, the water bond projects are complete, we can only pray for another wet winter or two to fill the increased capacity. Oh, did I forget to mention that increased reservoir capacity means displacing people and flooding sites sacred to Native Americans.

There is no known way that more money can make it rain. The answer lies in conservation. First and foremost, we must stop the fossil energy folks from injecting any of our precious water deep underground, mixed with toxic chemicals to frack their wells.

Second we must forbid wasteful uses of water for landscaping or limited recreational uses, starting with golf courses and home swimming pools. Let golfers play on AstroTurf made from recycled drinking water bottles. And make large home swimming pools so expensive through taxes on water usage by resident, that they will be encouraged to let them go dry and fill them in.

Third, we must convert the farms in the semi desert regions of the San Joaquin and Imperial Valleys from wasteful spray and flood irrigation, to drip irrigation or other water conserving practices.

The current water shortage is due to climate change which has proven so unpredictable that there is even debate if it is happening. We can't make it rain if the environment says no more rain. If the climate has changed, there is no going back. We should plan for the worse case scenario.

Desalinization works, It is not cheap, but it works. The Pacific Ocean is not only close, it is very deep and wide. We have visionaries who are hoping to colonize Mars. Why then, can't they focus their efforts on making California a place to live and grow food, with an ever diminishing water supply?

• Socialist Thomas Piketty’s Theory on Income Equality Wrecked by 26-Year-Old MIT Grad Student   1 day 3 hours ago

Democrats, republicans and this MIT student are often ALL ignorant about the fundamental problem with our U.S. tax system. I have lost count as to how many times I have posted information on this here. Here is the explaination again.

The real problem is our errant U.S. tax system which both the people that pretend they are conservative, but are Neo-liberals and the people who side with democratic, but are multi-national corporate lobbyists also are in denial of. The U.S. must correct this in order for the economy to improve in the long run.

The problem is U.S. manufacturers and their productive employees getting taxed, but no or very small taxes of 2% or less for companies who only import goods from foreign countries and are not real wealth creating productive for the U.S. economy. This is the primary reason that jobs have been outsourced to foreign countries. This alone means lower wages for U.S. workers having to compete with companies who only import goods from countries who charge import taxes to protect their key industries and have under valued currencies, while in the U.S. we have the opposite of this. This means many U.S. citizens getting low skill retail jobs instead of higher skill and higher wage manufacturing jobs.

This can even result in computer programming jobs being sent overseas to foreign countries also. For example, a friend of mine recently started a software company. Guess who the programmers for this company are?

People from Russia which the business owner recently told me when I asked him about this.

Currently Chatting

Why the House of Representatives Doesn’t Represent Americans

One of the really weird ironies of politics these days is the huge divergence between what the American people actually want and what the radical right-wingers in Washington actually do. You won’t hear this on Fox So-Called News, but right now the American people are as progressive as they ever have been.

Don’t believe me? Just check the polls.