Recent comments

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   2 days 8 hours ago

Roger, I've been active on Thom's main blog for awhile, but not the community boards. - AIW

• Possible Twitter Witness From Spanish Flight Controller In Kiev - Says UKR Airforce did it   2 days 8 hours ago

(YOUTUBE, STORM CLOUDS GATHERING) Flight MH17 - What You're Not Being Told

• Matriarchy is the future   2 days 8 hours ago

We have to someday progress to humanism. Not man vs. woman or young vs. old. The most qualified human beings should be taking on leadership roles. For whatever reason the species finds it neccessary to label everything and everyone. Athiests, bible thumpers, gay, straight, conservative, liberal. Go back to the common denominator of human being and leave it there.

• Weird News   2 days 8 hours ago

Douglaslee, last Friday I played the party game, Cards Against Humanity, with several folks. My son, who learned I would be playing it, and knowing many of my hot buttons, that is, talk that tends to offend me, told me he expected it to be highly offensive to me. Well, guess what— I laughed my head off all the way through the entire game. Yes —oh my— it's politically incorrect, tasteless, crude, sexist, insensitive, racist and any and all other ways to be wrong, but, damn that game is fun. (to be fair to us, many of the politically incorrect or tasteless cards received a group groan of disapproval, as when one hears a bad pun.)

Plus, it's quite an educational experience. I learned what "road head" is (sorry, I'd never heard it identified as such). Another player learned the word "smegma." Yet another learned who the Hutus and Tutsis are, thanks to me, btw. ;-)

Quote Wikipedia:

Critical and popular reception of Cards Against Humanity has been positive. The game was praised as "Simple, yet well-executed" by the Chicago Tribune "Puzzler", "pretty amazing" by The Onion AV Club, and "the game your party deserves" by Thrillist. The game review and discussion website Dice Hate Me reviewed the game as well, stating it was "Brilliantly crafted," though warned that the game was "not for the faint of heart, nor the easily offended" citing the often offensive nature of the cards included with the game. The game was generally well received by BoardGameGeek, garnering an 7.0/10 review as of April 2014. Reviews tend to note the similarity between the game's core mechanic (match answers from each player's hand to a shared question) to that of the 1999 family card game Apples to Apples (match nouns from each player's hand to a shared adjective). The Onion AV Club interview calls the game "a sort of Apples To Apples for the crass and jaded". Criticism for the game stems from its enjoyment primarily depending on the number of players participating as well as many reviewers' concern that its politically incorrect nature may offend certain audiences.

• Saudi Arabia And 911 - The Flight Out   2 days 8 hours ago

(YOUTUBE, STORM CLOUDS GATHERING) The Covert Origins of ISIS

Excellent description of ISIS, beyond the State Department talking points.

STORM CLOUDS GATHERING NEWS:

• Will leak of Sen. McConnell recording hurt him in November?   2 days 8 hours ago

Alison Grimes represents no real challenge to Mitch. Normally, a comment like this would have a strong impact, and despite the local media's efforts, there won't be any serious damage done.

• Matriarchy is the future   2 days 9 hours ago

Brazilian Women-Only-Town Says No To Marriage, Baptism And Rules Made Up By Men
    By Athena Yenko | August 28, 2014 7:37 PM EST

"We have God in our hearts. But we don't think we need to go to church, get married in front of a priest or baptise our children. These are rules made up by men," Rosalee Fernandes told The Telegraph UK.
    ...
    The women love their way of life and have no plan of leaving the town to find a husband. Hence, they are looking for husbands who would be strong enough to leave their own lives and surrender to their conviction.
    ...
    They sounded tough but these women will always be girls in their hearts. They act as each other's sisters, sharing everything - all for one, and one for all.

They live humbly and are the happiest even with the simplest things. Just recently, they work together to come up with funds to buy a big widescreen TV - "so we can all watch soap operas together." They always have time for chit-chats, shares each other's clothes and do each other's hair and nails.

• Don't Agree With Thom's Take On Voter Suppression   2 days 9 hours ago
    Quote Robindell:

... On some issues, there are some Republicans in Congress who sometimes side with the Democrats, and there are some Democrats who don't always vote the party line and vote with the Republicans on certain bills. I think people don't see that politics is not always completely black and white, that we live in a geographically, economically, and ethnically diverse country, and that representatives from different districts have to worry about political and business interests in their particular district or state, as they are there to try and represent people from a specific area.

Unfortunately, interests with the money to control Congress via the informal lobbying branch of our government have discovered ways to reinforce the combative and oversimplistic approach to political rhetoric and tactics even while garnering support for the Republican party by those who claim to be "populists" and support for the Democrats by those who simply cannot embrace the increasingly radical nature of the Republican agenda.

• Matriarchy is the future   2 days 9 hours ago
    Quote douglaslee:

She was absolutely right on the pathetic lack of research or even concern in the neuroscience field for gender studies. Which then lead to lazy, pop books like Mars and Venus, more crapology than neurology.

So true, so true— the neurocrapology of the marketplace.

• Biggest Water Contamination in U.S. History to-date!!   2 days 9 hours ago

This is Bigger than Most People are Aware of!!

• Biggest Water Contamination in U.S. History to-date!!   2 days 9 hours ago

The World is a Dangerous Place, not because of those who do Evil, but because of those who Look on and do Nothing!! Albert Einstein.

• Why have U.S. companies become such skinflints?   2 days 10 hours ago

The prevalence of the corporation in America has led men of this generation to act, at times, as if the privilege of doing business in corporate form were inherent in the citizen; and has led them to accept the evils attendant upon the free and unrestricted use of the corporate mechanism as if these evils were the inescapable price of civilized life, and, hence to be borne with resignation.

• Dissent, Liggett Co. v. Lee, 288 U.S. 517 (1933).

• Why have U.S. companies become such skinflints?   2 days 10 hours ago

Through size, corporations, once merely an efficient tool employed by individuals in the conduct of private business have become an institution-an institution which has brought such concentration of economic power that so-called private corporations are sometimes able to dominate the state. The typical business corporation of the last century, owned by a small group of individuals, managed by their owners, and limited in size by their private wealth, is being supplanted by huge concerns in which the lives of tens or hundreds of thousands of employees and the property of tens of hundreds of thousands of investors are subjected, through the corporate mechanism, to the control of a few men. Ownership has been separated from control; and this separation has removed many of the checks which formerly operated to curb the misuse of wealth and power. And, as ownership of the shares is becoming continually more dispersed, the power which formerly accompanied ownership is becoming increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few... [and] coincident with the growth of these giant corporations, there has occurred a marked concentration of individual wealth; and that the resulting disparity in incomes is a major cause of the existing depression.

• Dissent, Liggett Co. v. Lee, 288 U.S. 517 (1933), at 565-67.

• NEED TO REMIND PEOPLE WHY THEY NEED TO VOTE IN DEMOCRATS?   2 days 10 hours ago

One person opined that if the Democrats and the Republicans were the same,.......then why don't the Koch brothers contribute to Democrats as well?

Their money goes to one party, and one party only.

The parties are not the same in the eyes of the Kochs.

• Why have U.S. companies become such skinflints?   2 days 10 hours ago

A corporation is just another tool, just like a shovel or an ax. There's nothing magic about it. Somewhere along the line society was persuaded that the same people that manage a corporation that's really good in delivering pencils to the economy, necessarily must be able to manage a larger corporation that would be really good in delivering cement, fabric, candy bars, etc.

So Roland If you do not vote Democratic, Do you vote Republican?

• Windpower   2 days 10 hours ago

Currently the Republicans want more coal. They advertise "Clean Coal". There is no such thing as "Clean Coal". Republicans want to do away with the EPA. The Koch Brothers fund anything that destroys the environment. Like I said in the very first post 250,000 pound coal cars in 100 car trains, 25 trains per day go south near my house everyday to feed the coal plants in the Pueblo, CO area. Add that up. These plants can be replaced.

• Windpower   2 days 11 hours ago

That's what I'm having a hard time grasping Legend, while it's obvious up to now mankind has has made a very messy bed he's going to have to lay in, but why the lack of urgency in trying to mitigate the damage?

Mitigate? Don't be silly, let's up the ante.

It's very hard not to be pessimistic about the out come.

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   2 days 11 hours ago

I too missed the sarcasm in your post Rodger, but I wasn't or didn't mean to answer in any kind of snarky manner. Only as a differing opinion, I understand there's others that don't have as harsh position as I.

I have a tendency to wear my heart on my sleeve and pediphiles is just one group of rapists I've no truck for mercy on. LIFE for the first offense, done, fini. That's the extent of my mercy.

• Too little, too late: Obama always had the legal ability to take on Climate Change w/out Congress or Senate but chose not to.   2 days 11 hours ago

Insert an "a" at the beginning of your first word to derive my sentiment.

Too bad there wasn't something like a Kyoto Protocol to deal with this awhile back - oh wait...

That's right. It was signed by a President being threatened with impeachment on the day after Veterans Day in 1998, but the Senate had already headed it off at the pass with it's Byrd-Hagel Resolution (passed 95-0 on July 25, 1997).

Senator Byrd has since died - whatever happened to that other guy (Chuck Hagel) ?

• “Beige-World": Caliber of Obama’s thinking reflected in his choice of suit color.   2 days 12 hours ago

Continuation of #2 (diarhea or unblocking - you decide).

The color is immaterial. We should be glad this policy founded on facts made of whole cloth were not of a worsted variety like serge.

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   2 days 12 hours ago

Yes, I do assume that people who have been active on the boards for a while - at least on certain areas - would also be familiar with the dozens of others comments I've made about unrepentant perpetrators of violence (expressed sexually).

Quote Aliceinwonderland:

I reread that post too, Rodger. It's not so obvious to me that you were kidding. Sorry... AIW

There is no apology due.

But I would not say I was kidding. I was trying to remind readers about the number of these crimes that go unsolved or unreported or unprosecuted because the perpetrator is allowed to relocate to another jurisdiction (they of course give a different explanation for their relocation).

Another thing (besides assuming that my writing is perfect while everyone else's is too long or too rushed or too nonRodgeresque) that I get criticism for is my poisiton that unrepentant perpetrators cannot demand forgiveness and that my obstinancy on this point violates the Do Unto Others teaching.

As to treating (all) others fairly and equally, there is no violation as I withhold "automatic/upon demand" forgiveness from all unrepentant rapists in the same manner and for the same reason.

As to the "as I would have done unto me part" - if I had done such a thing I would want others to help me get it through my thick skull that I should understand my crime and feel remorse for it and make a heartfelt effort to minimize the damage I had caused.

• New website is really awful   2 days 13 hours ago

Things should be back to normal from Tuesday after Labor Day.

-Nigel-

• "Rape Culture Claims Another Victim: Teen Ends Life After Photo Of Her Alleged Gang Rape Goes Viral"   2 days 16 hours ago

11 Ways to Solve Rape Better than Nail Polish

However well-intentioned, there seems to be an awful lot of resources, time and energy dedicated to telling women how not to get raped, and comparatively little going to preventing men from raping in the first place. This provides women with a false sense of comfort and the illusion that a product or a precaution can actually solve the problem of rape, which it won't.

Moreover, the more we depend on women to prevent rape, the easier it is to blame them when it happens to them. Here's a look at the well-documented ways we can actually stop rape. Maybe it's time we invest a little more time and resources into implementing them before we send gallons of nail polish to colleges across the country.

NBC15 Madison
    Four male college students have invented a new nail polish that detects date rape drugs. The nail polish called Undercover Colors, changes color when you come into contact with the date rape drug. A woman will be able to check the safety of a drink by dipping her finger in it. According to the CDC, nearly one in five women experience rape at some point in their lives, with 1/3 of those rapes occurring in college aged females.

Dance Safe!
    Testing Kit Instructional Video

One Million Strong Against the Republican War on Women

• College Grads And The Student Loan Fairies   2 days 17 hours ago

Try functioning without housing or transportation! Dyno speaks of these things as though they were luxuries we can all do without. Really, Dyno!

When we've got this maze of debt traps attached to such things as education and healthcare, we have financial terrorism. Why? Because they aren't luxuries; they're necessities. When necessities become debt traps, debt becomes unavoidable. It's coersion and entrapment, pure and simple. And usury. And extortion. An abusive, predatory system is what's to blame, not these poor college kids.

If we all just sat on our collective behinds over the past century or two and kept quiet, women would still be the property of their husbands, with no legal rights, and only propertied white men would have the vote.

I'm not okay with punishing young people just starting out. All they're doing is trying to make something of their lives. For most people nowadays, and for the past few decades, that has necessitated higher education. A high school diploma used to be sufficient, but not anymore! If anything, college students should be receiving assistence rather than forced into automatic debt! Not okay by me. Never was. And to answer your question Dyno, there's my outrage.

I get mighty tired of you conservatives preaching down to us like we're supposed to accept this abusive trend as inevitable and natural, just part of life. The hell it is, Dyno. It's the creation of kleptofascist crony capitalism. I hope I live to see the day when people aren't willing to take it anymore.

Dyno whines about his taxes paying for "other people's" healthcare, education and so on. Just your run-of-the-mill, libertarian teatard rant: me-me-me-me-me. All about me. "Me" and "mine". Dah-dah-goo-goo... another case of arrested development. - AIW

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

The GOP war on workers has killed again...

It’s time to stop the conservative's war on working people in America.

Since the birth of our nation, conservatives have always been wary of average working-class Americans having too much political or economic power. John Adams, the second President of the United States and a Federalist (precursor to today’s Republicans), was very wary of the working class, which he referred to as “the rabble.”