Recent comments

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   4 days 14 hours ago

DeepSpace:

It's taken you 8 paragraphs of lies, name calling, racisim, and misdirection to attempt to change what I said in two sentences. (Even the majority of words written doesn't win.) Your groupthink mentality still hasn't answered the question of how do the folks who live in less populated states have their voices heard.

Get busy and change the system if you don't like it. Good Luck

• ADHD, AED, ASD: It’s in the Water   4 days 14 hours ago

Hell, this reminds me of the "logic" demonstrated by the crazy general in "Dr. Strangelove" who took over his base in Britain and ordered bombers loaded with nukes to hit the Soviet Union and for quite a while, he blamed bad water as the culprit for so many of our woes leading him to justify the destruction of the planet.

Well, I have ADHD ("in spades") as one doc described it when I was in my late forties no less, and I've got Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's and maybe some other things I forgot. When you reach 65, it's okay to remind younger folks you've forgotten more than most people are learning these days in school. Look folks, having ADHD, etc. doesn't mean you've been exposed to all sorts of chemicals placed in whatever drinking supply you and your family used during your early years and you turned out the way you did later in life.

Pssst, it's a little more complicated. Hell, having ADHD "in spades" or hearts, clubs, whatever shouldn't stop anybody from being able to graduate from h.s. and college. I graduated from a very snooty public high school serving a college town in New England ... in just 3.5 years and graduated on time from college. Guess what my cumulative averages were? High? Ha! I was a "gentleman C 'scholar'" all the way through. But I managed and much of the credit for this goes to my parents who didn't know exactly what I had save for a lousy ability to focus and get things done on time. I majored in procrastination and if grades could be earned in that skill, I would've been at the tops in every school.

It takes love and a desire to push through on what you love as well and when you match loving encouragement you're receiving from those closest to you who believe in you (parents, spouses, sibs and kids and special teachers, coaches, bosses, editors) ... the only thing stopping somebody with ADHD, etc. is the constant ability for us to become our worst enemies. Boy, do we tear ourselves apart and inside out before we get to banging us down.

It's not water, it's something else, and I hope I captured it for those who need to know this the most and gain whatever encouragement my own story could offer. Yeah, I take meds, but the biggest medicine I can give is the determination to not let others dictate who I can be and how far I can go. SUbstitute my "i" for your my and take it to the bank. These alphabet conditions are only that; they're not life killers unless we choose to let them take our lives over like that crazy general who took over his base and let all hell break loose.

• Daily Topics - Tuesday December 6th, 2016   4 days 15 hours ago

Thom,

I am posting my request here also (just sent an email request as well)

Could you post a Utube on your website of your insightful interview today (during your 2nd hour) with Dr. Justin Frank... it provided and put in words what millions in our country are realizing about Trump... if you can post it, I can then send on to many pro and cons of Trump... and have it a permanent record and reference to reply periodically... incredibly valuable interview and timeless...

• Trump proposes STRIPPING CITIZENSHIP from political PROTESTERS   4 days 15 hours ago

Did you actually read what I wrote above in reply to your smart alecky reply? OH, by the way, I switched from "flag" to "Old Glory" mostly for stylistic reasons. You do understand what I'm getting to, right "rs."

• The State of the 21st Century Church in America   4 days 15 hours ago

Wow, Evangelicalbuster, you sure put in a lot of effort and research into your excellent posting on the state of the Church these days. It's almost nigh impossible to write a brief yet fully honest piece about the current status of Christianity in our country today given the aggressive growth of what can best be described as the "just give me Jesus" plain and stripped down kind of Christianity being pushed by so many evangelical parishes, churches or, sigh, "worship facilities." Just yesterday I posted a reply in Religious News Service's story about Falwell and DeVos, following Jonathan Merritt's article "Why Jerry Falwell, Jr. says he turned down Trump's Cabinet position." This article exposes much of what's wrong and simplistic about today's Evangelical wing of Christianity in America. Dynasticism is a biggie. So is crony Christianity, and within rising Republican circles of both social and fiscal conservatism, fewer religious bodies are more (in their eyes) suitably set up for a pairing of sorts. It's the ultimate pro-free enterprise, pro-Americana with a touch of old WASP respectable prejudices against liberal Catholics (in particular!, Jews and Muslims, not to forget mentioning a favorite bugaboo bogeyman especially for the Falwell family: secular liberal humanists Those folks are doomed to hell, perdition and anything else "out there."

Wow, they've come a long way, and not heading in the correction path, as the one trod by William Jennings Bryant. Now there was a genuine compassionate American evangelical who knew what government's proper role was and what it wasn't when it came to the poor. Nowadays he'd be ripped in one megachurchianity worship facility from one cushy white suburb after another.

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   4 days 15 hours ago

@#18: That's the lame, go-to argument, to which robotic Republicans always revert. Upon further examination, however, it completely falls apart. To find out how and why (If you can somehow stomach it), please peruse these ("evil liberal") links, also posted in the above threads:

Briefly, the Republican's disingenuous argument is an illogical, pretzel-twisted interpretation of what a democracy should mean at the most fundamental level, which is our individual vote -- basically a severely limited, geographical-based election process that awards more voting power to a minority of mostly white, rural, radical christianists who seek to impose their fringe ideology on the vast majority of more pragmatic, realistic voters, who are just as religious in their own way. Our Founders clearly intended that no religion or ideology should have preference over any other.

Think about it; in a true democracy, why the hell should it matter if a person happens to live in a city, a coastal area, or Mudville Jesusland? This country belongs to everyone, not just the few. One-person/one-vote, period, and let the majority will of the people speak. If you don't like it, go start a revolution and fight your religious wars in La La Land somewhere else. I would suggest the Middle East, where the concept of democracy is equally strange.

The above links will explain the history quite accurately and plainly why the Founders felt they had to seek a compromise with Southern states to back the new Federal Constitution of 1789, as opposed to the original Articles of Confederation -- a state-based system thoroughly corrupted by contemporaneous big-money interests that played the fractured states off one another to such a degree that it threatened the very survival of our brand new, experimental democracy.

Furthermore, a large factor of racism was involved in this grossly imperfect arrangement, in that the South was awarded more heft in the Electoral College by counting the large population of slaves as "three-fifths of a person," even though they couldn't vote. Read the actual history of the Electoral College, not the bastardized Republican construction. It's complicated with other, perhaps more noble reasons; nonetheless, the Founders never meant the Constitution to be a static, sacrosanct document like the Bible, where it couldn't be adjusted to match modernity -- as long as it did not fundamentally alter the key founding principles, encapsulated and enshrined with the concept that all power is derived from the People first and foremost -- all people! Of course it's not yet a perfect Union; it's still an ongoing experiment.

As an aside, the inner, egocentric Republican reasoning behind the Electoral College, which historically favors their side, is very similar to why they always refer to our system of government as a republic rather than a democracy. See, the former sounds like "Republican," and the latter sounds too much like "DemocRAT" (emphasis on "rat"). In truth, our system is codified as a constitutionally-limited, two-party, representative, democratic republic.

Of course that still does include, unfortunately, the Electoral College. We definitely need to change this horse-and-buggy anachronism to match our modern world of mass transportation and mass communication, where geographical and ideological (think net neutrality) boundaries are largely inconsequential. Virtually all other elections (and all other democracies) are one-person, one-vote, fifty-one percent majority. Why should the Presidential election be any different? (The Senate filibuster is also an undemocratic anachronism that should be done away with, even though it's the last, sad vestige of power the Democrats can cling to.)

I wonder if Republicans would feel differently if 30-some College Electors changed their votes because they were so disgusted by such an obviously unqualified candidate? Of course this won't happen, since they are as polarized as everyone else, but it is very much a big part of their constitutional, and morally conscience, right to do so -- in spite of any restrictions the individual states impose upon them not to do so.

• My Fears   4 days 16 hours ago

No they won't. What you ask for is already being done.

• Republicans and their BALANCED BUDGET AMENDMENT   4 days 17 hours ago

Legend
    Wonder how much the right wing pays her to come on sites like Thom's and throw verbal grenades for disruption.

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   4 days 19 hours ago

It's much better if ALL the citizens of the USA elect our president. Rather then only the citizens of New York and California. Keep the Electoral College.

• My Fears   4 days 19 hours ago

Coalage1, not I am not saying do it all at once. I am saying there is no need in bringing in more dirty fuel sources, like tar sands or burning more coal.

You are right the planet will not disappear, but people will.

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   4 days 21 hours ago

This is a 3rd world country.

• Republicans and their BALANCED BUDGET AMENDMENT   4 days 21 hours ago

I guess that Diane likes getting 75 cents on the dollar for pay.

• My Fears   4 days 23 hours ago

Using aternative energy sources as replacement for more traditional power sources is happening every day. The problem lies in the cost. Doing this on a massive country wide, or even global scale, is just simply not feasible or economical. That's why it only happens a little at a time as the technology improves which allows the cost to come down.

Your problem is that you want everything to be done at once, and right now. That is not going to work, nor is it even possible.

Baby steps....and no I don't thinkt the planet is going to disappear in the meantime.

• Veterans to Standing Rock (dishonest quote on program today)   5 days 1 hour ago

Sanders sings Obama's praises for stopping Dakota pipeline

Army Corps of Engineers Blocks Dakota Access Pipeline Route

Paul Ryan slams Dakota Pipeline decision:

☛ This is "Big-government decision-making at its worst".
    I look forward to putting this anti-energy presidency behind us.

A politician normally prospers under democracy in proportion ...
    as he excels in the invention of imaginary perils
    and imaginary defenses against them.

-- H. L. Mencken, 1918

Talk about "Big-government decision-making at its worst"

How Many Law Enforcement Agencies Does It Take to Subdue a Peaceful Protest?
    November 30, 2016

So far, 76 agncies from 10 different states.

Morton County has received assistance from 24 counties. 16 cities and 9 states. In total nearly 1,300 people have assisted Morton County in responding to the protest over the Dakota Access Pipeline since 8.10.16

New rules implemented by Speaker of the House Paul (Eddie Munster) Ryan, amendments related to guns, abortion, LGBT issues and marijuana will no longer be permitted” …

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 2 hours ago

@#3:

Well, that was a yuge waste of precious time - just about the dumbest, most shallow piece of crap I've seen in a long time. No wonder wingnuts are so, well, dumb and shallow.

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 3 hours ago

ErinRose: Very well put. All excellent points!

I'm very discouraged by the whole stinking mess also. I've spent years hanging around way too many right-wing blog sites trying to understand the mentality and have posted on numerous corporate media sites, as well, many with similar results as you have expressed. Hate to say it, but I finally gave it all up as a pointless exercise in futility; most of these people simply do not listen to or care about anything they perceive as having even the slightest scent of that evil "liberalism," like it's some kind of contagion.

I eschew labels -- even though they are an unavoidable part of political discourse -- but can't help it that the simple truth of something sounds liberal to some people, while the outright lie sounds conservative. I'm sure there are many paid trolls lurking out there but suspect most are just true-blue zealots, so convinced of their own righteousness that they cannot entertain, intellectually or emotionally, anything that doesn't fit into their well-worn, comfortable pattern of thought.

It really is evil ... and frightening, especially in the most powerful country on the planet, with so much destructive technology at the fingertips of the worst scary clown of them all.

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 3 hours ago

BlackKnight: Thanks for the link! Lots of very good info.

It compliments: http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 4 hours ago

There is an excellent article on Jill Stein's official campaign FB page co-authored by Bob Fitrakis - one of her election integrity advisors. It was written November 28th and should be on her FB timeline.

​In the article - 7 senate races went to the GOP that should have gone to democrats in 2014 (3) and 2016 (4).

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 4 hours ago

It is just stunning to me how many people in high office have jumped up to block the Stein recount. This process is part of the democratic process. Recounts have been going on for years. There were complaints of "irregularities" and so the independent, non-partisan group, I think it's called something like the Elections Integrity Committee, has accepted the task of looking into the complaints, not to change the outcome of the election but to button any loopholes that might have allowed vote-flipping, to ensure that we will have clean, fair, and honest elections going forward. But, my gosh! The crazy Right constituency has been whipped up to oppose this together with just about everyone in high office condeming this process. What? People don't want clean, fair, and honest elections? I have to question whether the cadre of people posting against this process are paid for their efforts in a very orchestrated way.

At first the Right tried to claim that it was an abuse of taxpayer money, until it was pointed out that it is not being funded by the federal government. Then they tried to claim that Hillary or George Soros was paying for it. Then they said that Stein is a front for Clinton in this (I can't imagine two women more politically opposite than Clinton and Stein, but the public is pushing this idea hard.) Such that, when I posted on ABC's site, trying to introduce some facts and sanity into their cyclonic spin, ABC blocked me from responding to any of what can only be described as an avalanche of Right-wing protest in a huge shout-down. Because I haven't been allowed to post any rebuttles, it makes me look like I have accepted their greater wisdom and have retreated from the field. This country has become nothing but a vast web of lies and deceit. It's truly discouraging when so many people are so willing to not seek the truth and be reasonable; this is a working model of true evil.

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 4 hours ago

Across the nation, millions of potential Democratic voters evidently were purged unknowingly and unjustifiably from the registration rolls by craven Republican Secretaries of State and their operatives, and, no doubt, many of those affected were in these three key states. The hapless voters should have been handed provisional ballots. So I wonder if their placebo votes will be included in the recount effort, since they would seem to have a much bigger impact than whatever increased margins can be teased out of the faulty machines.

Perhaps the "Interstate Crosscheck" fraud, along with other types of fraud, will be exposed in due course while conducting the recount; however, except for progressive alternative media, which can't seem to break the sound barrier, no one is talking about it. Again, reality and truth are flying under the radar...

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 8 hours ago

Keep counting

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 8 hours ago

We are seeing the first indications of a totalitarian mentality. Control and use the law to subvert democratic process, news blackout and loyal henchment, and above all, there are only fearful opposition and/or brainwashed apathy

• Republicans and their BALANCED BUDGET AMENDMENT   5 days 8 hours ago

DianeReynold i wouldn't be gloating yet my lady, the Drumpf presidency hasn't even been sworn in yet and that possibilty is still be challenged. Assuming Drumpf does take office his juvenile buffoonery , his toilet time 'tweeting' will make a mochery of your countries leadership, that's of course if he isn't hauled away in a straight-jacket to the looney bin.

Personally DianeReynold i see permanent defeat of the republican party as the result of wide spread buyers remorse by the electorate. Time corrects everything , including the elected obscenity of this racist , homophobic, anti feminist republican party.

• The No BS Guide To The Upcoming Jill Stein Recount   5 days 8 hours ago

Pennsylvania still uses the Sequoia AVC Advantage voting machine.... takes only minutes to hack at the precinct level. The vote tally is easily changed without any evidence of tampering.

Why aren't our democratic representatives raising holy hell about the interstate cross check fraud???

So after putting up with endless dimwitted/ mind-numbing tales about Benghazi and no story emails, thanks Comey, the democrats are just going to lie down and play dead regarding a very real scandal that is about to place the most dangerous man on the planet in charge of the largest military in history. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see megalomaniac plus powerful military equals global catastrophe? Not to mention that Trump has surrounded himself with some of the most unstable cabinet picks he could find. I still can't believe Wall Street isn't reacting. Trump says FU to China..what could possibly go wrong there? No reason to be nervous about your stocks..LMAO. The stupid pills are flying off the shelves.

And why is there suddenly zero regard for exit polls, not to mention the pre-election polls? Holy Crap!

• My Fears   5 days 9 hours ago

Can we get a do over?

Wage Hating Burger Czar As Labor Secretary?

In just a two hour span, Donald Trump has completely exposed his whole "I love the workers" routine as just another classic Trump scam.

It all began, where else, on Twitter, where on Wednesday night, Trump went after Chuck Jones, the local union president for the factory at the center of his Carrier deal.