Will the GOP Succeed In Destroying Social Security This Time?

Thom plus logo This week, the Republicans began rolling out their classic "Two Santa Claus" scam. When Reagan became president, the national debt was less than $1 trillion. One of his advisers suggested that Republican presidents should jack up the debt as hard, as high, and as far as possible with massive spending on the military and other things that gave them their donor class big bucks. Then, as soon as a Democrat becomes president, they should all start screaming about how bad the national debt was so they could use that as a justification for cutting Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, food stamps, and all the other social programs that Republicans say are socialism.

He said that the Republicans needed to become the "tax cut Santa Clauses" and use these deficits to force the Democrats to "shoot their Social Security Santa Claus." Reagan took his advice and tripled the national debt; Bush and Trump both doubled it. Now that Republicans are becoming more and more convinced that a Democrat will be elected president next year, expect to hear, as started today on Morning Joe, lots and lots of screaming about the national debt coming from the GOP. once that mean get some traction, they will then start talking about "entitlement reform," which is GOP code for cutting Social Security and Medicare.

-Thom

Comments

Legend 3 years 4 weeks ago

Bernie and Liz need to publish their Medicare for all programs. With numbers and dollars. I have to admit I am confused by it but realize that it would save a lot of money. But by not having a solid econmical layout with charts and pictures and arrows. The naysayers are publishing outrageous trash with no mathimatical backup. The other day I saw a 48% sales tax and it would cost trillions.

Legend 3 years 4 weeks ago

Is it possible to get Tom Steyer on the show? He is a numbers guy.

SueN's picture
SueN 3 years 4 weeks ago

He's been on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8IzHwA6_g

Legend 3 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks. Long time podcast subscriber that misses very few shows. Recently on Vacation though. I like Tom Steyer first because of his age (62). I am 69 and feel that even Elizabeth (same age as Hillary) is too old for the job at hand. Tom Steyer is a self made Billionaire which took some smarts to achieve. He is progressive and an outsider from the Washington swamp. MBA from Stanford. We have a long ways to the primary. Name recognition is difficult to get in this country. Everything that I have heard from him has been good.

SueN's picture
SueN 3 years 4 weeks ago

I have to admit, I still favour Bernie, having heard so much from him over the years. If I had a vote, I'd be paying more attention to the others.

When I hear somebody has an MBA, I tend to wonder if they have been thoroughly indoctrinated in the current economic system, since the universities will want to fit them for jobs in that system. But obviously Steyer is not one of the herd.

Legend 3 years 3 weeks ago

I like Bernie also. But I am 69 and think of working long hours under stress like I use to and have no desire for more. Even Jimmy Carter said that if he was 15 years younger (80) he could not handle the job. And he is doing good at 95. No matter what I will vote for the Democratic nominee and Trump is proof that age has its affects.

SueN's picture
SueN 3 years 3 weeks ago

Trump has shown that you can work shorter hours. lol

Bernie would be able to surround himself with competent people which woiuld ease the burden.

And if he resigned after a couple of years, his VP would be well prepared to take over the job and win the next election and train up their own successor.

Riverplunge's picture
Riverplunge 3 years 3 weeks ago

They don't call the Republicans the party of "NO" for nothing, when it comes to any benefits to the common working person. Instead: The GOP shovel the money to the rich, and eliminate any help program that would feed, clothe, house a needy person.

I'm old enough to remember when there was true democracy in the '60-'70, when life was not an endless grind of struggle to survive, and Republicans were more sane and mature.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"If you wonder why and when giant corporations got the power to reign supreme over us, here’s the story."
Jim Hightower, national radio commentator and author of Swim Against the Current