The Republican Party self-destructed in front of the entire nation last night...

As Speaker of the House John Boehner failed to get his members in line to vote on a plan to avert the so-called “fiscal cliff.” It was a bad idea to begin with – a plan to let the Bush tax cuts expire for millionaires – but let those same millionaires keep generous tax loopholes, while getting rid of many of the tax breaks used by the middle class. It was another huge giveaway to the rich, but the Republicans Party flew over the cuckoo’s nest and couldn't even stomach passing a very, very modest tax increase on billionaires like the Koch brothers.

In a statement late Tuesday night, Speaker Boehner said he didn't have enough votes within his own party to pass the measure. He then urged President Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to come up with a plan while he sends his Republican House members Christmas vacation. Financial markets are not reacting well to the news. Yesterday’s events in the House made the President’s hand even stronger in negotiations.

A plan to avoid the “fiscal cliff” will not pass out of the House without Democratic support – and everybody knows it now. So it’s time to take cuts to Social Security Insurance benefits off the table, and come up with a deal that’s more in line with what the nation wants, which is for the rich to pay their fair share in taxes and no cuts to social insurance programs. If a few sensible Republicans in the House don’t join Democrats and take this sort of deal, then off the cliff we go, and President Obama’s hand will get even stronger.

Comments

Mark Saulys's picture
Mark Saulys 9 years 50 weeks ago

I'm from this one, I don't know which one your from. We here are not taken in by the bogus narratives concocted for the Low Information Voters. You have to be willfully dishonest or completely off your nut to not see who the spenders and deficit spenders are and who the responsible spenders are who sometimes leave a surplus?

Mark Saulys's picture
Mark Saulys 9 years 50 weeks ago

The name callers were in the minority, Financial District 1 percenters and their shills. By far, most people were with us. Even the police were with us. It was more the Great Depression all over again than it was the'60s all over again.

There were, in fact, many homeless people because what people don't realize is that, like the Great Depression, Occupy is an unemployed people's movement. One of the banners I saw being made on brown box cardboard with a magic marker in the early days at La Salle and Jackson was "Lost my job and found an occupation" right next to "If the 1% are job creators they sure suck at it".

The hippies were there with us too, with everybody else. We were "the cowboys, the hippies, the rebels and the yanks". We were America all got together again.

I speak in the past tense because we squandered some of that good will and solidarity with reckless, destructive behavior.

johngutta's picture
johngutta 9 years 50 weeks ago

comment removed

johngutta's picture
johngutta 9 years 50 weeks ago

How do we eliminate the deficit and national debt? Here are the numbers:

Increasing the top ordinary income tax rate by only 3.5% to 39.5% on marginal income over 250K ( Obama's proposal ) would generate about $70 billion a year; but letting it rise from there to 70% over 400K ( the pre-Reagan top marginal rate ) would generate about $700 billion a year.

And applying this 70% marginal rate to any combination of all forms of income over 400K ( including stock grants, options, dividends and capital gains ) would generate hundreds of billions a year more.
 The result would be a budget surplus.

And since the richest 1% now have a net worth of about 20 trillion dollars, an effective
( loophole free ) top estate tax rate of 90% on marginal wealth over 50 million dollars
( the pre-Reagan top rate was 77% over 10 million ) would generate enough revenue within a generation to eliminate our national debt.

And the richest 1% would still be the richest 1%.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 9 years 50 weeks ago

"Unclebob"- As Thom and others have pointed out time & again, it's a problem of WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION and PRIORITIES more than simply SPENDING. If you hang onto the "spending" part, you've bought into the bogus corporate message hammered at us on a daily basis. What is truly unsustainable is the Pentagon budget and tax cuts for Plutocrats, which, as much as anything, are where the "overspending" has been directed; not so-called "entitlements". - Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 9 years 50 weeks ago

Try a little harder. - Aliceinwonderland

karlmarx1947's picture
karlmarx1947 9 years 50 weeks ago

This is re entitelements. Perhaps we should be raising not lowering the rate of benefits. Without a discussion which comparies GDP per capita across countries with benefits paid one cannot know whether or not the U.S. payment is niggarly or generous. Also we could raise the bracket on which social security payment is capped. Do we need to raise the cap? Without a detailed discussion of a plan with assumptions about cost vs. rate etc we have no way to proceed. In the absence of a detailed rational discussion of alternatives proposals and potential financing along with assumptions about who should pay what this discussion is worse than useless. How can one democratically choose anything if the issues are presented via assertions, not analysis.

Mark Saulys's picture
Mark Saulys 9 years 50 weeks ago

Ayn Rand was on Social Security and Medicare in her old age.

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

Kend - Thanks for the update about the type of oil you produce in Canada. Please do not compare an individual American with the lobbyist that has been outlawed by your government. Unfortunately for Americans our government is still too corrupt to pass the same type of legislation. As far as the pipeline goes, I personally do not want any oil in any form running through the middle of my country. The risk of an accident in any pipeline from your country or mine is not acceptable. If humans are involved with the process there is always a possibility that human error could cause an environmental catastrophe, no matter how stringent your or our laws are. This pipeline passes over aquifers with countless amounts of pure water in them. As I have stated before, I cannot drink or water the crops with oil. Therefore I consider any pipeline transferring oil a risk too high to gamble on! Especially if the oil is not for American usage. I really do not care if China or India runs out of oil that would be a blessing in disguise for the American workers if it happened. My first and only concern is with America and its people. Have a good Christmas and Holidays! P.S. I am not surprised about the Rockefellers being the people making the money. The same type of people will be the only ones benefiting from the proposed oil line through my country. To me they are all criminals and should be dealt with in the same manner we deal with bank robbers.

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

I find it ironic that our nation and the world are heading in a direction once described on a political comedy show named, Max Headroom! It fits right into the theory described by Palindromedary on his comments about privacy or the lack of it with the internet. It portrays how Multi-national Corporations run the world and governments through information and acts against citizens that may threaten their financial bottom line. At that time Japan was seen as the sinister center of where these corporations ran everything. Probably because the Japanese corporations were doing so well and jobs were shifting to their country. Now it is China becoming the global powerhouse of production and Japan is losing its monopoly on production to them! So goes the irony of obtaining power and wealth only to lose it to a nation with basically slave labor and free trade agreements that were signed by politically bribed politicians! 30 years ago no one could imagine America being in the condition it now finds itself, because of corrupt politicians and unfair free trade agreements!

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

Palindromedary - I agree with what you are saying, but I refuse to hide myself or my comments from the government, corporations or people in or out of the geo of the United States. I try not to vent to the point that I am inciting violence on the part of others and therefore could be held responsible when some psycho guns down some innocent victim. But if I disagree or dislike something said, I refuse to refrain from saying so. I have no problem with stating where I reside, obviously since you remarked about refineries near the South bay you found it easy to guess where I live. I try to change my picture from time to time and replace it with aircraft, (I enjoy researching and collecting pictures of every type of aircraft I can locate) instead of my mug shot. Not because I prefer to hide my identity, but I get tired of seeing my face every time I make comments on several web sites. I agree someone might use something I say or statements I make about myself against me. But I am of the mindset that I refuse to give an inch to anyone in an effort to conceal myself. I have weapons to protect myself and my family. I am not against owning handguns or shotguns and feel it is a person’s choice to own a weapon(s). I hope and pray I never have to defend myself with a weapon, but I will do what it takes to defend my family and myself. I do not fear this government even though I certainly do not trust it. For me to live in fear of something or someone is not acceptable. I find some of your conspiracy theories somewhat out there, but as time goes by, I think that you might be right on something’s. I still have a problem with the 911 theory, but if you ever get a chance to state them in the future, please add where I could read the articles. I enjoy being confrontational at times and I do not believe in being politically correct when speaking to someone or commenting on this website! I guess that is pretty evident from our differences on several subjects! Just felt like dropping my two cents on this topic. I personally believe we need to bring the political war to the people responsible for our problems and the people should protest against anything the government or opposition tries to do that would not be in our best interest as a nation and people. After all isn't that what democracy is all about, being free to speak your mind without fear of retaliation from the government or others...

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

Palindromedary - I have a question for you or anyone else who accepts the writings of these individuals on various blogs or newsletters. The first thing I noticed was a disclaimer on the Market Daily News that they are in no way responsible for or support the information written on their web site by various people. Who is checking to validate the conspiracy theories and general info that is written by these individuals claiming what they have stated is factual? They appear to claim the information they provide is factual, yet they do not give any information on how they obtained these so called conspiracy threats or how to verify the information. We all know or should know that the government and corporations have kept information on us from day one. I needed a top secret N.A.T.O. clearance to do the work I performed for the U.S. Air Force in the early 70's.They checked my history from the time I began school and everything about my family for a security clearance at that level. Every time I (we) purchase anything with my credit cards or fill a warranty card the corporation who runs the store knows our buying habits, address and other needed information. The insurance companies know my health through my medical records when they are billed for services. There are no secrets about us in the information age we live in. Anyone who has kept up on what the government is doing realizes the C.I.A. has had its hands in the governments of other nations to promote America's so called best interest. I do not agree we should, but anyone older than 50 is aware of the fact we are an Imperialist country and have been for a century. I accept the fact the government is watching everything in the name of national security and as technology advances they will use that technology for or against our best interests. To think we can roll back the clock to a time when these things were not necessary is just kidding yourself. I do not feel threatened over the fact the wealthy try to control us for their advantage, because that has been going on since the inception of the concept of society. Starting with the earliest societies on Earth they have used information to control other people for their own greed and lust for power. This is not a new concept for mankind. And for the government, corporations and super wealthy their desire to control us by the use of information is not a new phenomenon. Whether we like it or not we will continue to be watched by Big Brother for both good and evil proposes. The important thing is to make sure we are aware of this and to know what they do with this information as best we can. And equally important, we need to know what we read has been fact checked and we do to hastily accept claims from others without verifying these claims first. The ability to not be monitored is no longer in our hands as long as we use technology that gathers and shares information about us in our daily lives. We live in an era where Facebook and Twitter share info about us within seconds of typing it and we seem to have a need to share! And, yet we worry about Big Brother, somewhat ironic wouldn't you say. What would we do without our ability to Google when we want info about something or someone!

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

In the political science class I took in college, the professor stated it only takes 2% of any population to start an armed uprising against a government. 2% of 350,000,000 is 7,000,000 armed resisters to the government and that would definitely get their attention. I realize that this idea is so far-fetched to conceive that many people would band together to over throw the governmental thugs in Washington. But it has happened before and if this government became totalitarian towards the citizens, than it does not sound so far out there in theory. The government is not far from being a totalitarian state of rule today. If 2% of the population actually banned together 10 to 20 years in the future, it is conceivable this could actually take place. We have seen so much change in American politics, especially since the Supreme Court has ruled (Citizens United) the wealthy and the corporations can spend countless amounts of cash for electing their puppets, who is to say we couldn’t end up with a fascist government where the corporations actually call all the shots in Washington. Just a late night conspiracy theory.

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

The Republicans are the Big Spenders when it comes to the defense budget. Just listen to the rhetoric about how any cuts to the defense budget puts America in harm’s way. Exactly who would be stupid enough to attack the World’s largest military power? The government and the defense contractors had Americans believing the Soviet Union or the Chinese were just waiting for America to make a mistake militarily to attack us! And if we did not spend enormous amounts on military contracts with built in waivers for exceeding the actual budget the Russians would be in N.Y. at the first chance they thought we were weak militarily! The Russians and the Chinese built up defenses against us because they listened to the bullshit coming out of Washington and actually believed WE were waiting to attack them. Does anyone remember the Domino Theory that convinced everyone if Vietnam fell to the Communist the rest of Asia was lost? A war that cost trillions and killed more than 58,000 Americans and an estimated 2,000,000 North Vietnamese! Guess what the country did become Communist and now they are supplying Americans with new Nikes! The insanity has to stop before Americans are forced into Armed revolt against this defunct government. President Eisenhower warned us about the Military Industrial Complex the Republicans now hold in esteem as a sacred cow. As long as a handful of Republican Tea baggers can hold the whole country hostage in agreeing on a Fiscal Budget we will always be a defunct Republic. Yes, having to use armed rebellion against the Government in Washington would be horrific for this country, but the Republicans in their effort to protect their masters who actually run this country with their untold fortunes, may leave us with little choice but to do so in the future. This nation is reaching a point of critical mass, let’s hope and pray we are not forced to use the massive fire power we hold in our hands as civilians. The Dept. of Home Land Security ordered 350,000,000 rounds of anti-personal ammunition. There are over 300,000,000 weapons in the hands of the civilian population. Perhaps the government fears us more than anyone really knows!

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

Can someone please tell me how to void comments, without having them stay on site? Frustrating. I am not even sure how I ended up with all my comments on one page and the reference points are wrong! Oh well. Christmas has been great, I hope it was for everyone else who made comments on this blog for the last couple of days!

Mark Saulys's picture
Mark Saulys 9 years 50 weeks ago

The earliest societies on earth had no class hierarchies or even private property. There are still societies like that today, at that level of technology and some that had our social order overtake them who are trying to resist and keep their equal society, e.g., the Native Americans.

Mark Saulys's picture
Mark Saulys 9 years 50 weeks ago

That's right Ken, you keep exercising your freedom of speech, that's how you defy and confront them.

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

mathboy - I cannot believe you would be so petty to complain about 1st. graders being called babies. In the eyes of most adults, (obviously you’re not one of them, boy) these young children were just babies in their first year of school. You have the sensitivity of a snail! I feel sorry for someone like you, especially since you seem compelled to call yourself a boy.

ken ware's picture
ken ware 9 years 50 weeks ago

Palindromedary - I am not so sure about being fearless, I would call it stubbornness! My daughter, who is somewhat protective of her dad, agrees with you about using my name and mentioning my physical location. Your right that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of prevention. That is something I should consider. I am not as young as I once was and I need to mellow out. I end up being too aggressive both online and in life when it comes to matters that are important to me. I need to stick to the point without interjecting so much emotion. Like when one of the commenters on this blog mentioned," he wished people would stop calling 6 year olds. Babies", referring to the massacre of twenty 1st. graders. I think I would have reached over and replied in a not so gentleman way if he said it to me in person! I forget some people cannot help being a jerk.

I never thought about it but your right, Thom does look and react like Max Headroom at times! I guess we are giving away our age group by remembering that show! Oop’s gave away more information! Have a good Holiday and take care of yourself...thanks for the advice.

Mark Saulys's picture
Mark Saulys 9 years 50 weeks ago

Reply to #113 (as is my post #117) not to #119 The problem is that whenever someone goes back to edit their comment it gets put on the end and then reshuffles the order.

Actually, they (the earliest societies) had no hierarchies of ANY kind.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"Right through the worst of the Bush years and into the present, Thom Hartmann has been one of the very few voices constantly willing to tell the truth. Rank him up there with Jon Stewart, Bill Moyers, and Paul Krugman for having the sheer persistent courage of his convictions."
Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth
"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World