Recent comments

• Do Republicans Fundamentally Not Understand the Point of Healthcare?   18 min 2 sec ago

Hey Thom! new radio interview w./Phil Proctor/Firesign Theater HERE! http://www.psiopradio.com/

• How to Beat the Meat Law   5 hours 46 min ago

Very useful information. The importance of product quality is for some reason not discussed now. People are used to trusting supermarkets entirely and this leads to complex consequences. In my how to buy app installs for android blog, I also try to show this problem from different angles.

• So you think You'll Get a Tax Break, or tax cut? Really?   11 hours 7 min ago

The "lucky sperm club" will most of the time be just like Donald Trump or the lucky sperm club that inherited the Schwinn Bicycle company. They don't care about the company and its workers, the future of the company. They do no research and development, they just rest on their parent's laurels and worry about the bottom line or about how much money is at their disposal. If they don't make enough money they sell the company out or go bankrupt. Perfect example: Pacific Bicycles (a Chinese company) ownes the Schwinn Bicycle company, and have owned it for a number of years.

They turned out to be nothing more than sell-outs with no respect for their predissesors' accomplishments.

I had to pay the taxes on my inhertence, so must they. If they can't make due with a few million dollars, then they aren't worth skunk meat in the first place.

Trump and his kind of American pie hogging pigs aren't even grateful for the fact that if it were not for all of us working people, they would have no means as for how to make any money at all.

If there were to be such a tax break, it should be for the middle class that leave a few thousand dollars to their sons and daughters, not these billionares that have millions of dollars stashed in reserve that they never payed taxes on. Tired of the lucky sperm club? I sure am.

• Will the GOP Accomplish Giving a Tax Give-A-Way to the Wealthy?   13 hours 15 min ago

Yes. Voters have not demanded to see Trump's tax returns. Voters are disengaged. Too many accept what FOX and false news tell them. They are too busy to look at the details & protest. Congress and the Senate work for what their rich donors demand. "Ivanka's tax cut" will pass.

• So you think You'll Get a Tax Break, or tax cut? Really?   14 hours 36 min ago

Please let us all now go to a place of worship

And pray "You'll Get a Tax Break, or tax cut? Really?"

Wow!

Can we ever get off subject?

• So you think You'll Get a Tax Break, or tax cut? Really?   15 hours 20 min ago

JOHN F. KENNEDY

Over three centuries ago, our forefathers in Virginia and in Massachusetts, far from home in a lonely wilderness, set aside a time of thanksgiving. On the appointed day, they gave reverent thanks for their safety, for the health of their children, for the fertility of their fields, for the love which bound them together and for the faith which united them with their God.

So too when the colonies achieved their independence, our first President in the first year of his first Administration proclaimed November 26, 1789, as "a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God" and called upon the people of the new republic to "beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions... to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue . . . and generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best."

And so too, in the midst of America's tragic civil war, President Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November 1863 as a day to renew our gratitude for America's "fruitful fields," for our "national strength and vigor," and for all our "singular deliverances and blessings."

Much time has passed since the first colonists came to rocky shores and dark forests of an unknown continent, much time since President Washington led a young people into the experience of nationhood, much time since President Lincoln saw the American nation through the ordeal of fraternal war--and in these years our population, our plenty and our power have all grown apace. Today we are a nation of nearly two hundred million souls, stretching from coast to coast, on into the Pacific and north toward the Arctic, a nation enjoying the fruits of an ever-expanding agriculture and industry and achieving standards of living unknown in previous history. We give our humble thanks for this.

Yet, as our power has grown, so has our peril. Today we give our thanks, most of all, for the ideals of honor and faith we inherit from our forefathers--for the decency of purpose, steadfastness of resolve and strength of will, for the courage and the humility, which they possessed and which we must seek every day to emulate. As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.

Let us therefore proclaim our gratitude to Providence for manifold blessings--let us be humbly thankful for inherited ideals--and let us resolve to share those blessings and those ideals with our fellow human beings throughout the world.

Now, Therefore, I, John F. Kennedy, President of the United States of America, in consonance with the joint resolution of the Congress approved December 26, 1941, 55 Stat. 862 (5 U.S.C. 87b), designating the fourth Thursday of November in each year as Thanksgiving Day, do hereby proclaim Thursday, November 28, 1963, as a day of national thanksgiving.

On that day let us gather in sanctuaries dedicated to worship and in homes blessed by family affection to express our gratitude for the glorious gifts of God; and let us earnestly and humbly pray that He will continue to guide and sustain us in the great unfinished tasks of achieving peace, justice, and understanding among all men and nations and of ending misery and suffering wherever they exist.

In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

DONE at the City of Washington this fourth day of November, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and eighty-eighth.

JOHN F. KENNEDY

By the President:
    DEAN RUSK,
    Secretary of State

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   15 hours 20 min ago

Tulsi Gabbard for president in 2024.

• Will the GOP Accomplish Giving a Tax Give-A-Way to the Wealthy?   17 hours 40 min ago

Democrats,

Lets get our act together and end the two santa cluase hypocrysy.

• So you think You'll Get a Tax Break, or tax cut? Really?   18 hours 14 min ago

As an 8-year member of CREDO I am incredibly upset by CREO's call for Senator Al Franken of MN to immediately resign because two women have come forward to report he engaged in sexual misconduct. There are at least THREE FUNDAMENTAL FLAWS in CREDO's taking this action: First, CREDO's claim that "Sen. Al Franken had the chance last week to take full responsibility for past sexual harassment, sexual assault and any other behavior that demeaned women. He failed to do so[,]" is demonstrably false. Contrary to CREDO's press statement, Sen. Franken in fact took immediate responsibility for his actions, apologized to the extent he remembered his misconduct, and HE CALLED FOR A FULL INVESTIGATION by the Senate Ethics Committee. Second, CREDO's call for him to resign presumes he is guilty of EVERYTHING that has been alleged without any Due Process whatsoever, which is fundamental to our principles of fairness as set forth in the Constitution; and Third, CREDO's call for him to resign is tantamount to calling for a political "death penalty," which might be warranted in the case of serial pedophiles or serial offenders who call their accusers liars and threaten to sue and intimidate them with their power, but is NOT remotely appropriate for someone who responds respectfully and without recrimination. CREDO are acting like the "purity police," which I find deeply disappointing. Moreover, CREDO Mobile has, in my view, violated its own principles, at least as I understand them. I joined CREDO because of its claims to employ democratic principles in deciding where donations will be sent and by implication in deciding how to represent the membership on such issues as this one. There was clearly no use of a democratic process in making this precipitous, unsupported decision under the mantle of the entire organization. I call on those responsible for this decision to IMMEDIATELY resign. If I had not just been enticed to sign a new two-year program with the promise of an upgrade, I would terminate my CREDO service in favor of another carrier, who at least makes no pretense before acting against my wishes behind my back. Bryan Wm. Blakely(970) 222-6394 Fort Collins CO 80526

• It Doesn't Cost Billionaires Anything To Oppress You   19 hours 50 min ago

Yes, most of our Republicans in Congress literally "have no god but money" (along with their coporate sponsors). They can't call themselves "Christian" WITHOUT LYING! That's why I often refer to them as "screw-your-neighbor Republicans". (Ref. Matthew 22:37-40).

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   21 hours 16 min ago
  • Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   21 hours 21 min ago

#6. CA has a lot of homeless because you turn into an ice cube in MN if you are homeless. The oppotunity is there if you work for it.

• Why Impeachment Is Not Likely   1 day 6 hours ago

If this is written for credit, you get an A. However, if you want to change things, your time can be better spent. Please get members of Congress on record whether they support massive cuts to Medicare and Medicaid.

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 13 hours ago

Amen ;-)

• America YOU'RE being HELD CAPTIVE by a RICH and WEALTHY FEW   1 day 13 hours ago

Hi I'am Tracy jane resident at 808 NE 19th St Oklahoma City, I am a single mother blessed with 2 daughters. For a while now I have been searching for a genuine loan lender who could help me with a loan as I no longer have a job, all I got were hoodlums who made me trust them and at the end they took my money without giving me any loan, my hope was lost, I got confused and frustrated, it became difficult for my family to feed with a good meal, I never wanted to have anything to do with any loan lending companies on the internet again. Not until I met a God sent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family Through the help of a fellowship member "a lender with the fear of God in him Mr PETER WILLIAMS, he was the man God sent to elevate my family from suffering. At first I thought it wasn’t going to be possible due to my previous experience until I received my loan worth $135,000.00 USD in less then 24hours. So my advise to anyone out there genuinely in need of a loan is to contact Him through this official email:- Williampeter199@gmail.com OR WARSUPP at +233264866768 or text : +1(503) 773-9864

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 13 hours ago

Well, Outback I'm afraid your right.

It's possible I will make it a decade but 3 no way.

Hopefully us commoners on both sides will stop tearing each other up and come together against the real problems.

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 14 hours ago

#5 HotCoffee: I don't believe it matters in the least who the Dems decide to run in 2020. It would take a total "purge" of the DNC to alter their "DNA". We've seen what happened after the debaclke of 2016 and it's .... nada. It'll taka a total tsunami, similar to what happened with Bernie, but much, much larger to tilt the balance of power between the real interests of "the people" and these two political abominatinations (I'm talkinhg BOTH established political parties, which are only variations on the same theme) to make a significant difference in our leadership. A) Ginsberg needs to hang on until the mid-terms of 2018. B) We need a Dem sweep of at least the Senate to block any further right wing justices being installed. C) Only then can the real work begin of throwing out the career corporatists of both parties in favor of a really progressive government. It'll take at least a decade, maybe three. I won't be here, but I wish you the best ;-)

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 14 hours ago

And you do know the people serving Silicon Valley are living in their cars and vans....not my idea of oppertunity.

Silicon Valley’s homeless: Everyday workers in shadow of tech affluence

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 14 hours ago

So lets assume that Trump is Hitler re-incarnate....who do the Dems plan to run in the next election? It seems bashing Trump is the only thing on the agenda. Dems are leaving office so as not to be outed for sexcapades. A subject dems don't want to talk about, unless it's a repub.

I would vote for Tulsi Gabbard ( Hawaii ) in a heartbeat...A woman president...intelligent...been in the military, not a warmonger...thrown out of the DNC by DWS for speaking up about the BS going on there, a Hindu..what more could you want...disipline and nuturing.

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 16 hours ago

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 10); line-height: 120%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif",serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans Fallback"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "FreeSans"; font-size: 12pt; }

Thom, interesting you bring up 1920's Germany in this context. Hitler's book “Mein Kampf” is fascinating in the parallels one notes between German society in the period between 1920 and 1924, which is the period during which he was building the foundation for his “Third Reich”. In particular, his observations on the politicians of the day and a bovine society that could only barely glimpse the corruption of their government.

One doesn't have to embrace Hitler's anti semitic views or radical solutions to appreciate that the man (perhaps nuts) was an astute observer of human nature. His treatment of propaganda, the press, entrenched politicians, and an international cabal to bleed sovereign nations dry are absolutely eerie when compared to conditions that exist globally today.

And interesting also are the parallels that can be drawn between Hitler and our present POTUS.

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 16 hours ago

Silicon valley has more wealth. CA may have the highest taxes but it also has the most opportunity.

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 16 hours ago

The family that is too strict will have rebellion...the family thats too lenient will have spoiled children with no sense of responsibility. Maybe somewhere in the middle might work.

Everyone does deserve food, shelter and health care.

That being said there was a family with 16 children that I grew up close to. About 1/2 of the children would not go school....I can't go, I broke my shoe lace...etc. This entire family was on welfare....now 1/2 of the children and their children are on welfare. This was the lenient family....or what you call nurturing.

I also knew a young girl that could never go play. When she wasn't in school she was polishing the doorknobs, silverware, etc. I don't know how she turned out.

In many families papa is the boss and they aren't all Germans from the 1920's....take Italians for instance.

Seems I'm always pushing for a middle ground....All left is not good...all right is not good.

Nurturing and disipline are both needed.

So going back to the family with 16 kids....who's responsibility is it to give them shelter, food etc. Mine, Yours? What if you only have enough to feed your own children should you take from them for others that just showed up illegally?

For me it is not as cut and dried as Thom presents it. But then I'm not impressed by credentials.

If the government is telling you...Gov. Brown...don't use the electricity, gas, there isn't enought water, housing,but come on in everyone you're welcome here...that just doesn't compute. If California is the only state that has single payer for everyone then everyone desperately needing health care will come to California...right? Even if they return home after being healed, where does California get the money, we are already the highest taxed state in the nation?

LA has many of the wealthy hollywood types with their indoor and outdoor swimming pools while they rob Northern Ca. and the Colorado river of their water. It's a desert in more ways than one.

• Where is Donald Trump's Worldview Leading Us?   1 day 18 hours ago

Humans are by nature hierarchical and align themselves in a status hierarchy, which in our society parallels financial worth. So we submit to an alpha male with the most money, who demands our subservience. The lack of these behaviors on the part of our former president was one of the reasons he was (is) seen as weak by many in need of a powerful alpha male leader. Relatively few animal species sort themselves out below an alpha female, but it does occur in nature, including many examples among humans. I had an old fellow physician friend in Georgia, who summarized Georgia politics as: "he just figures out which way the crowd is heading and hurries to get out in front".

• Republicans Admit to Accepting Bribes, Why Aren't They In Jail?   1 day 23 hours ago

2950-10k. Yup, corporate-sponsored political dialogue is a sick joke played on the lazy minds of American voters. I only pick up Sunday morning talk-show clips here and there on the internet in the course of chasing down other news stories (or at least what passes as "news" nowadays) -- before moving on to more credible sources. But it sure seems like the whole point of "Meet the Republicans" is for Chuck Todd to keep his millionaire job by being a patsy for Kochpublican idiotology, while trying mightily (and failing horribly) to appear bi-partisan and fair-minded.

Yellow-journalism "reporters" feverishly regurgitating the latest scandal du jour, avoiding like the plague the hard news of the more pertinent stories that really matter to the People, is yet another symptom of a dying military-economic empire in the final stages of collapse. For the sake of the environment and humanity, it can't happen soon enough...

• Republicans Admit to Accepting Bribes, Why Aren't They In Jail?   2 days 3 hours ago

Excellent deepspace!

BTW: It doesn't help that Sunday AM shows like Meet the Republicans, pretend to be bipartisan by asking questions based in truth, but then give a Republican most of that part of the show to lie with impunity and make it seem like Chuck Todd is the misinformed one. Rarely do you see the show allowing a Dem to counter the lies with facts to back up truth... actually never lately. It's like sly foxaganda.

I'm a little shocked about how relative little attention has been spent on the tax bill by even many media progressives, a bill that most certainly will speed up total collapse of the empire. Trillions on war for profit with simultaneous tax cuts for billionaires, this at a time of already record concentration of wealth, LOL...the Romans of the 5th century are also laughing loudly in their graves.

Sex scandals both sell and distract ..... the focus and timing isn't coincidental

So you think You'll Get a Tax Break, or tax cut? Really?

A letter was sent out recently by the American Medical Association, the American Hospital Association, the American Academy of Family Physicians.

You're not hearing Breitbart News or Common Dreams - right or left - organizations or news sites with a point of view other than that they are committed to healing people.