Recent comments

• Berniecare finally arrives   3 days 20 hours ago

Bachmann...are you drunk or on opioids or something?

• Berniecare finally arrives   3 days 20 hours ago

C'mon Thom, single-payer is not free, which is fine, but let's be clear, it would be funded with progressive taxation which should also apply to local government...in other words, end property taxes and opt for income tax to fund schools and county programs. Property tax is a regressive form of taxation. I'll always gladly pay my fair share based on income.

The income tax the average citizen would pay for single-payer is a fraction of what they would end up paying for private for profit premiums..that's what you need to write about Thom...Bernie sure as hell will get communicate the truth. OFFENSE BABY!

• Berniecare finally arrives   3 days 21 hours ago

Kend...give me a list of those doctors names..don't try to pull that foxaganda crap on us.

• Little Prince Jeffie’s Thin Skin Can’t Even Take a Laugh   3 days 21 hours ago

They're all punks -- and, deep down, even they know it. That's why they're so sensitive to REAL criticism. They Know they are Evil phonies. This so clearly Shows how weak they Truly are.

• Berniecare finally arrives   3 days 22 hours ago

Just seeing how much Berniecare irritates conservatives, makes me feel better already. It's a miracle!!!

• Berniecare finally arrives   3 days 22 hours ago

Get over it!

Health care is not free

However, in enlightened societies it is at the point of use

Can anyone get a grasp of that notion?

• Berniecare finally arrives   3 days 23 hours ago

At least ten years ago I used to listen to you with your Friday lunch with Bernie. He spoke then about Medicae Part E, E meaning everyone. It is a great idea and makes sense. The Republicans in Congress will never pass such a sensible law. Health insurance companies are what drives up the cost of medical care in our country. Economists call the insertion of health insurance companies "friction" in the system. The purpose of health insurance companies is to make profits for the shareholders, they are not at all interested in the quality of health of the people they cover. If they could they would use the notion of preexisting conditions to make it impossible to ever receive reimbursement for medical expenses. In order for health insurance companies to thrive they must make it difficult for a sick person to receive reimbursement. They pay for sales representatives, claims adjusters, and private investigators that drain revenue that does not go toward paying for health services to covered people. About one-third of premiums go toward expenses and profits, that is billions of dollars each year that do not help sick or injured people. It is a scam.

I don't expect the Republicans to pass Bernie Sanders idea, they hate the idea of everyone getting medical services, dental services, and eye care services. They are ideologically opposed to such a way of life. They prefer having a system where those with money can get health care and those without money can get along however they can. It is how they see the world.

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 15 sec ago

Tom hartmann while you have been counseled at least once on the air about the importance of words, you obviously have not yet figured it out. Most have nailed your error, you do success of Medicare for all a disservice calling it free, it will not be "free". Some will pay less, a few the #billionaireclass will pay more in taxes, which is as it should be.

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 22 min ago

I agree with Kend on this...State by State has a better chance of passing. Colorado and California, followed by Washington, Oregon and others...by the time a dozen of so have signed on the Country as a whole will follow suit.

Bernie care works, Medicare for all works, FREE doesn't work. I have Medicare and between the SS deduct and the monthly premium paid to Kaiser, I'm around $300/mo. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 38 min ago

Why don't you just do it state by state. Like Canada. Lefty California, the 5th largest economy in the world could easily pass it. When the rest of the nation sees how great it is they will follow.

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 56 min ago

Single payer is great. ONE PROBLEM: The GOP doesn't want us to have any extra money. They want to give it to the insurance company that does nothing but take your money and deny you care so you die.. A double whammy! Probably won't happen now but don't be discouraged.. be like the Republicans - never giving up when you lose.. I certainly hope this message of the single payer savings will get to every ear.. Also.. What the heck are the rest of the Democrats doing? They should all be preaching the same idea and stand behind Bernie!

• One Last Effort To Get Rid Of Obamacare (w/Guest Andy Slavitt)   4 days 1 hour ago

It will not be their last attempt. The Koch brothers have said they will not pay the republicans until they get it done!

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 1 hour ago

Has a lot of potential, as long as all government controls are removed and made a separate section of the government, to prevent the corruption that permanents the corrupt government today! maybe even placed under the social security administration!

I disagree with calling it free. It will require funding buy should be similar to social security.

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 1 hour ago

How have so many of us been bamboozled by the government agencies, the public schools, where we spent so many hours in boredom? We drank chlorine water from the water fountains., dumbing us down, joined the military and were injected with shots , making many of us sick. We can't tell which foods in the supermarket are genetically modified... and when we are given perscriptions in later life, we become sicker....how has this happened to so many millions of people? Hooray for Bernie Sanders!

• Daily Topics - Thursday September 14th, 2017   4 days 2 hours ago
  • Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 2 hours ago

Ok you washed up lefties, since you’re into political masterbaution, you may as we’ll add the following to your wish list.

Big Rock Candy MountainHarry McClintock

One evening as the sun went down
    And the jungle fire was burning,
    Down the track came a hobo hiking,
    And he said, "Boys, I'm not turning
    I'm headed for a land that's far away
    Besides the crystal fountains
    So come with me, we'll go and see
    The Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains,
    There's a land that's fair and bright,
    Where the handouts grow on bushes
    And you sleep out every night
    Where the boxcars all are empty
    And the sun shines every day
    On the birds and the bees
    And the cigarette trees
    The lemonade springs
    Where the bluebird sings
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
    All the cops have wooden legs
    And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
    And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
    The farmers' trees are full of fruit
    And the barns are full of hay
    Oh I'm bound to go
    Where there ain't no snow
    Where the rain don't fall
    The wind don't blow
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
    You never change your socks
    And the little streams of alcohol
    Come trickling down the rocks
    The brakemen have to tip their hats
    And the railroad bulls are blind
    There's a lake of stew
    And of whiskey, too
    You can paddle all around 'em
    In a big canoe
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains,
    The jails are made of tin
    And you can walk right out again,
    As soon as you are in
    There ain't no short-handled shovels,
    No axes, saws or picks,
    I'ma goin' to stay
    Where you sleep all day,
    Where they hung the Turk
    That invented work
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

I'll see you all this coming Fall
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains"

Songwriters: HARRY MCCLINTOCK, STERLING SHERWIN© Peermusic Publishing

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 2 hours ago

Sounds great to me. As a Canadian I will look forward to all the great doctors that left here to go down to the US Because of poor pay from public healthcare will come back. Go Bernie.

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 3 hours ago

FREE!!! Holy Tax Bill Batman!!! Nothing is FREE. Besides the cost for taxpayers, (the middle class and the rest upwards....there will be a cost to services...ie. Canada, England, etc.

Sure, nice for those countries with a majority of homo-genous citizens of less than 5 - 10 million, but for 300+ million and growing diverse countries such as the USA, I think not! While I do, as a concept, like the medicare for all, it seems a bit late in our game to expect this to happen in 48 months.....the loonies on the far left and far right can't get a simple change to DACA and immigration done in a reasonable time frame. To expect our "humble servants" to come together in as little as 4 years is a pipe dream. I think it will come to pass but not for at least two generations especially given the "cupcake" millienals sense of work ethic and intelligence. But, I could be wrong! Frankly, once the Trillions and Trillions of dollars necessary to make this happen are understood, the battle cry will be "Tax Them" not "ME". Also, we can say bye bye to cutting edge medical research, there won't be any incentive dollars left for that either. Hate to be pragmatic, but reality is reality. Medicare for All is anything BUT FREE!!! Third World USA coming soon to your shrinking payroll and savings......Pray for us all!

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 3 hours ago

No, Tom, it is not free.

Don't start out making the mistake of destroying the credibility of Berniecare by calling it free. It must be paid for and can be done with payroll deduction, same as Medicare, and by a tax on Wall Street financial transactions. A fraction of a percentage point would pay for what is needed by the very people who do not pay their fair share now, the billionaire Wall Street Investors who never pay any tax on their financial transactions.

If we must pay a tax on Babies' new pair of shoes, financial purchases should also pay a tax to cover the cost of Medicare for all and everyone would benefit.

• The RACIST third verse of the STAR SPANGLED BANNER   4 days 3 hours ago

Ok 'Victim2' ....your id name says it all. People like you cling to the 'victim role' and no matter how much we change or what history we put CLEARLY infront of you that says this country is all about equality (no slavery wasn't right), you will only see yourself as the victim. My advice would be #1 get a job, #2 an education, #3 read a book outside your norm (study from an opposing view point), #4 hug someone you don't like and do something nice for them no matter how hurt you feel. If everyone did this, this country would be awesome! But if you don't your hatred, reverse racism, and bigotry will consume you and you will die a very angry person. May sound harsh and blunt but needed to be said.

• Berniecare finally arrives   4 days 3 hours ago

BernieCare sounds so wonderful. I have waited a long time to be able to afford health care and prescription medications. And dental!

But let's keep our feet on the ground for just a minute. The insurance is not totally "free." Taxpayers will pay for it. Before people against this movement get their teeth into this, there can be a straightforward discussion on funding. As beneficiaries of this insurance, we should show due diligence in discussing the costs And Savings there would be to the "government" and the "taxpayers." In this way, we can use transparency for our benefit.

As in the struggle for civil rights, people have suffered and died for this cause. Let's honor those who have gone before us by being as truthful as we are honest. And honest we can be, in showing the benefits of, as well as the need for, this one-payer health insurance.

• Message to the White Man: Why I Just Can’t “Get Over” Slavery   4 days 4 hours ago
    Quote rs allen:

Alberto, I have to admit I'm more than a little envious in (as I'm sadly lacking in) your breath of knowledge within the realms of literature. I'm a little interested and wondering if it was any particular thinker/philosopher/poet/writer that moved you to quit the usa or was it just an accumulation of reading then putting two and two together and realizing this place is really completely insane?

My Jolly Child is more than touching if one can cast aside the literal use of child which those that have had children may have a hard time with. I read it as akin to a Haiku poem. Forgive me Alberto but I've already started rearranging it in my head into more of a stricter Haiku form. Be that as it may I find it quite moving and thought provoking. Thank-you.

And what can one say of Langston Hughes? To me it's amazing how a person can write an entire treatise, a complete essay, a whole history in so few words. If there's to be an end to this thread I can think of no better coda to finish with. Again I thank you.

No, rs allen, not a single author but many. Conrad, Tolstoi, and Shakespeare have certainly influenced me a great deal but there were - are - so many, right up to Cormac McCarthy and others who are even more recent. I've enjoyed reading Indian writers, too, particularly the grand novelist R.K. Narayan and all those (Ghalib, Mir, Nazir and more) who wrote such beautiful Urdu poetry. I continue to read several Spanish authors, fortunately in the original. Yes, I appreciate Haiku aided by my several extended visits to Japan that afforded me opportunities to enjoy Japan's Noh and Kabuki theater.The time that I spent as an actor in Western theater, both amatuer and professional, certainly had some influence as well. There're many more influences and I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you further.

I'm glad that you appreciated the Langston Hughes poem. How appropriate it is for these times.

• Little Prince Jeffie’s Thin Skin Can’t Even Take a Laugh   4 days 7 hours ago

Fool every canidate for whatever office already stand on their religous affiliations. And if you bother to look you'll note almost to every man and woman everyone put to office is christain going back as far as you like. No agnostics, no atheists, no Islamics, no Hindu but in reality are only capitalist bastards parading as one out of about 1000 forms that CALL themselves good christain.

Mike pence and jeff sessions are good examples. Trumpkof would not have been elected without reactionary pence. Sessions wouldn't still be there (or ever gotten where he is) without his good old southern baptist (and racist) roots. So don't give us that religious purity bullshit, yeh I just imagine the up roar over an Islamic judge nomination and guess where it would come from.......your side of the aisle wouldn't even give them a hearing and then would vilify who ever nominated or stood for that person.

So piss off with your purity vs. the law argument. The law of the commons needs to be secular and that ideal of the law of the commons is almost a religion unto itself and separated from any deity one may hold personally.

• Message to the White Man: Why I Just Can’t “Get Over” Slavery   4 days 8 hours ago

• Pence vs. Trump   4 days 8 hours ago

and yet more spam from floydm

Community Archive

The "Catastrophic" Climate Change Probability You'll Want To Know

As Donald Trump sends mixed messages about whether the U.S. will actually withdraw from the Paris Climate Accords, researchers at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography have come to a shocking conclusion about climate change.