Recent comments

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 12 hours ago

More terrible news on the jobs front.

"Fewest Jobless Claims Since 1973 Show Firm U.S. Job Market"

"Amazon, IBM, and 8 other big companies hiring for high-paying jobs like crazy right now"

Ouch!!

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 12 hours ago

Great blog, SueN! Thanks for stepping in.

No matter what they say, Republican politicians everywhere, from the local level to the national, primarily work for millionaires and billionaires to fulfill the two main goals of their biggest donors and mentors, at the expense of their poorer constituencies: tax cuts for the wealthy; deregulation of their monopolistic empires -- so that their so-called "free" market can go about freely polluting and poisoning our environment, free of restraint and accountability, while freely cheating workers, taxpayers, and consumers out of their hard-earned money.

The lion's share of welfare (i.e., the taxpayers' teat) flows to the top of society -- not to the bottom -- in the form of huge subsidies to private industry, with a wink and a nod from well-greased politicians, on both sides, under an entrenched system of crony capitalism, which has enabled a massive redistribution of wealth from a struggling middle class to a pampered class ensconced in golden palaces dotting the kingdom.

Society's tiniest class, a ruling elite of the greediest, most ruthless sociopaths on the planet, are busily gobbling up every last morsel of prosperity left in our cobwebbed cupboards. To mix and paraphrase their favorite false metaphors, once the fat bastards have "trickled down" on us, and their "rising tide" has sunk our boats, we may lick the crumbs off their plates.

Anyone who believes the garbage economic theories of fascistic economic predators is a goddamn fool!

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 13 hours ago

Bachmann commented... "Legend, it's not my fault you're poor" Sounds like something Feudal lords would say to their serfs, slave owners to their slaves, Crooked Donny to contractors he stiffed, Neo- fascists to immigrants....etc. Bachmann, I'm more than well off financially, and still care...where's your god damn soul?

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 14 hours ago

@23 Diane, you make me laugh....cohabit:)) I don't do well with stupid people, especially stupid people who think they are smart.

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 14 hours ago

@22 I doubt that you are better off than anybody. If you were, you wouldn't be concerned what everybody else has. Only those without worry that others have more than they do.

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 14 hours ago

@#22

Mr. Mindless,baseless facts:

You have no idea as to the wealth or lack thereof of anybody that posts here. Until you and Ou812 actually decide to cohabit and reveal to each other your specific financial and personal details, you would look a lot smarter not assuming anything.

• The Angry American   1 day 15 hours ago
    Quote BenDorigan:

We must remember that wars, even civil ones, are easy to start and hard to stop. Let’s not let ourselves become Syria. Who among us would benefit from that? The answer is no one… among us. Peace.

The answer is no one… among us. Peace.

☮ = Frisbee Disc 200g by Wham-O
    $13.53 Prime @ Amazon

Who among us would benefit from that?

Come you tax eating masters of war
    You that build all the guns
    The Army's $86,000 Machine Gun

You that build the death planes
    The Marine Corps' F-35B costs $131.6 million each, way up from the $50 million AV-8B Harrier II and the $60 million F/A-18 Hornet. The biggest cost difference is in air superiority fighters. The F-22 Raptor cost approximately $250 million, replacing the F-15 Eagle which cost $65 million each.
    This Chart Explains How Crazy-Expensive Fighter Jets Have Gotten

You that build all the bombs
    The the average strike cost during the past few months of operations in Syria and northern Iraq against the Islamic State is $2.5 million.
    How Much Does One Airstrike Cost?

You that hide behind walls
    Total Cost of Wars Since 2001:
    $1,792,879,070,000 @ 0247hpst
    Cost of National Security

You that hide behind desks
    Exporting DEAmocracy
    DEA's 200+ offices around the globe
    $32,700,000,000 @ 0253hpst
    Money Spent on the War On Drugs this Year

I just want you to know
    Where are all of the Taxbaggers and Norquest?
    ~ Drug War Industry
    ~ Military Industry
    ~ Detention Industry
    ~ Education vs. Incarceration
    ~ US Universities
    ~ A kinder, gentler fascism

I can see through your masks
    ~ Bob Dylan
    "Masters Of War"

The Corporations That Supplied Iraq's Weapons Program
    USA, China, France, Great Britain, USSR/Russia,
    The Netherlands, Japan, Belgium, Spain, Sweden.
  • Executive Orders   1 day 15 hours ago
    Quote rs allen:

Yes, on both counts but I would like, if possible, to leave it better for my young family and friends. Every now and then I come across something that gives me a smidgen of hope. For example, how about this gentleman for president? I’ve given a couple of paragraphs from the essay. Worth anyone's time to read it all:

/QUOTE/

Dear White People: Be More Like Gregg Popovich

Shaun King

October 17 2017, 5:50 p.m.

HOW WHITE AMERICANS view their country — and their president — appears to be almost split down the middle. In a recent Gallup poll, 49 percent of white Americans said they do not approve of President Donald Trump’s job performance. Anecdotally, the number sounds high (low, I think King meant-AC2), and I suspect it’s because far too many white Americans have a passive, almost silent disapproval of Trump. They might disapprove, but they aren’t saying so out loud; they simply don’t use their voices, their influence, or their privilege to call Trump out the way he truly deserves.

Enter Gregg Popovich, head coach of the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs.

At a time when black athletes and even black sports reporters are being targeted by Trump, Popovich has spent much of the past year stepping outside of his normally reserved role to use his white privilege in ways perhaps no white man in sports ever has.

On Monday evening, in a conversation with The Nation’s Dave Zirin, Popovich decided to call Trump out with the clearest ferocity anyone could muster. Hours earlier, Trump had said former presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush had never called families of fallen soldiers. The lie clearly incensed Popovich — himself an Air Force veteran.

Before the conversation began, Popovich said, “I want to say something, and please just let me talk, and please make sure this is on the record.” He then continued:

I’ve been amazed and disappointed by so much of what this president had said, and his approach to running this country, which seems to be one of just a never ending divisiveness. But his comments today about those who have lost loved ones in times of war and his lies that previous presidents Obama and Bush never contacted their families are so beyond the pale, I almost don’t have the words.

This man in the Oval Office is a soulless coward who thinks that he can only become large by belittling others. This has of course been a common practice of his, but to do it in this manner — and to lie about how previous presidents responded to the deaths of soldiers — is as low as it gets. We have a pathological liar in the White House, unfit intellectually, emotionally, and psychologically to hold this office, and the whole world knows it, especially those around him every day. The people who work with this president should be ashamed, because they know better than anyone just how unfit he is, and yet they choose to do nothing about it. This is their shame most of all.

The coach then said “bye” to Zirin and hung up.

/UNQUOTE/

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 15 hours ago

I am not poor. I would be willing to bet that I am better off than you. A lot of Republicans think that they are wealthy but very few make the 1%. I am sure that you are nowhere near it. The Republican Party is beholden to the 1%. Do you remember the Bush W administration? Cutting taxes for the wealthy, raising defense spending, resulted in a depression that we still feel the affect from. What you are doing is giving your money to the wealthiest, not the poorest. Are you on the below list:

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 16 hours ago

@20 Legend, it’s not my fault you’re poor. So what makes you think you have a right to my or anybody else’s money.

• The Intolerance of the Left   1 day 16 hours ago

I think it would be better if both sides stopped vilifying each other.

The segmented news/social media today has placed us into ideological bubbles that cause us to lash out at any idea that conflicts with our worldviews.

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 16 hours ago
  • Executive Orders   1 day 16 hours ago

Remember those old black and white flickering films of trestles collapsing or of two trains colliding? One could not help but watch in awe because there's nothing, absolutely nothing one can do about the wreckage to follow.

Alerto though I think you probably have a few years on me I think you're perhaps in the same shoes I now walk in. These days I've really only got one more river to cross. My day of days long walk with Cesar Chavez are over. The days of my Black Panther and black power confrontations into the face of power have long since past for me and no longer will I storm a bridge for a May Day peace march to end war. I kissed off this fiasco of 'for the people by the people' bullshit after they started shooting down kids on college campuses.

If someone else thinks it's worth while to lay it on line for this morally bankrupt country, the only thing I have left to offer are my seemingly empty words and thoughts.

My days of putting it all out there are over.

And we can bid the US of A a (not so) fond fare-thee-well.

• The Intolerance of the Left   1 day 16 hours ago

I'd say it takes some courage to be a proud, outspoken liberal today, especially given the villification and denigration we receive daily from rightwing media outlets like Fox News. And let's not forget that, though we are the majority in this country, we have a representative minority in every branch of government. It's much easier to be one of the sheeple or Trumpanzees today. You may be right about the trajectory of revolution, but maybe reconsider suggesting we're all wimps, or "much bullshit."

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 17 hours ago

@#18

This is simple. The leftie/socialists spend their day fretting over other peoples money. They are negative and depressed and see no positive outcome unless "free stuff" starts happening. After it happens they will complain because of rising costs. Fortunately most of working America understands there is no such thing as "free Stuff".

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 17 hours ago

@16 I enjoy making the 1% wealthier, I’m getting wealthier too. I rather be r”ruled’ by someone you call a Racist Facist, than washed up lefties any day.

• Executive Orders   1 day 18 hours ago
    Quote gumball:
    Quote rs allen:

Twice in this thread we have mentioned a direct attack against one of the suposedly most deeply held tenents of 'the american' way and what is heard in return? Pleats about racism or being anti-semitic.

When you start with "the jews are secretly pulling all the strings" what do you expect?

Where did anyone "start" with that? It was - is - Netanyahu pulling the strings.

See comment #8:

How Netanyahu Pulls Trump’s Strings

Is no one interested in my proposals (comment #17) ? If the rails aren't repaired the train's going to crash.

• The Intolerance of the Left   1 day 18 hours ago

What left?

Otherwise what is it you're whining about?

• Executive Orders   1 day 18 hours ago
    And
  • Executive Orders   1 day 18 hours ago
    Quote rs allen:

Israel is already a terr. of the us. They've shown it in so many ways as can't be counted. The most odious though has to be this little piece of legislation working it's way through congress now.

• Executive Orders   1 day 18 hours ago
    Quote rs allen:

• GOP Tax Myth & Junk Economics   1 day 19 hours ago

My understanding is the payroll tax pays for social security and medicare. Income tax pays mostly for military. Since when does mom pop business need military. Only the rich do. Thus they should pay more income tax.

• How a Narcissistic Brand of Nationalism is Taking Over The United States   1 day 19 hours ago

Superiority is one of the great illusions of humans .Very seductive very dangerous . In truth nothing is superior to anything else .

• Executive Orders   1 day 19 hours ago

Thanks for the comment, rs allen. There's so much wrong with u.S. society, with the nation in general. Where to begin? I think a start would be with the constitution. The country desperately needs a new one or at the very least a comprehensive revision of the present, outdated one. I have no confidence that its people are capable of the task. Secession? That, too, seems to me unlikely but I'd sure like to see it happen. I'm dreaming, though. The chance of either - a new constitution or secession - is right about zero.

Referring to one of your previous comments, this is worth reading:

Afghanistan: Where Empires Go to Die

Thursday, 17 September 2009 19:22By Dahr Jamail, t r u t h o u t

I posted the following several years ago. Few, if any, seemed interested. Here it is again without updating.

The U.S.’s representive government does not seem to be working - not in its response to Al Qaeda (and terrorism) and certainly not in its laggard and inadequate response to recent devastation that both natural and man-made disasters have occasioned. These failures of government, especially at the federal level, challenge all of us to consider changes that would make government work for the greater benefit of the people - changes that might also encourage more active citizen participation in the process of government.

The USA has again embraced a tar baby, this time in Afghanistan and the Middle East, with no honorable means of disengagement in sight. Any response needs to concentrate on long term solutions that might prevent future administrations from following similar destructive schemes.

I see a reform of the political system as absolutely essential - particularly a reform directed toward securing better qualified, better informed and more honorable people to serve in appointive and elective office - people who would be more likely to place the long term good of the people foremost. Is it too optimistic to think that those in political office might seriously consider promoting substantive reform? It calls for imaginative, audacious leadership - a deplorable scarcity.

I think of "long term solutions," "fundamental change," and the Founding because they are important - vitally important. Anyone engaged in political action would do well to have a solid foundation in America’s early history, particularly the fascinating saga of the struggle for the Constitution. As Bernard Bailyn reminds us: "We must get the two-hundred-year-old story straight, in some way, in order to make sense of our own world." None of the founders, certainly not Madison, thought of the Constitution as a sacred document. It aches for a few fundamental changes - and soon.

Here, then are some of my suggestions for change, by no means exhaustive. I consider the first three to be the most urgent. Please consider discussing these ideas with friends, neighbors and associates, promoting those that appeal to you. Most of them would require a change to the doddering, old and justly venerated Constitution:

1. Restriction on the number of times that a person may hold federal elective office. I'd hold it to two terms, period, with one exception permitted - a person who has held federal elective office for two terms could subsequently contend for and occupy the office of president for two terms. (I'd prefer, though a single six year term for president, no re-election).

2. An exemption-free draft for all able-bodied citizens. No exemption for members of congress or White House staff. No exemption for college students (grossly unfair and discriminatory). No exemption, period, except for health or disability.

3. Legalization and strict governmental control of the sale and consumption of drugs.

4. Transparency in government to include (a) declassification of ALL official government records five years after the date of their origin (exact, uncensored and unaltered duplicates might be filed, at the time of their origin, with a special archivist and made readily available to the public after the five year period has expired) and (b) immediate and unrestricted access to all files, records and offices of any federal department (when expressly authorized by a vote of thel House) by a standing committee of five House members composed of three from the majority party, two from the minority, all of whom have been sworn not to divulge sensitive information.

5. Elimination of the Electoral College allowing presidential elections to be decided directly by a majority of the popular vote.

6. Revision of the system for electing Senators so that, in so far as possible or practical, Senators would represent all the people, fairly and equally (each Senator would ideally represent the same number of people), through election by national or regional, rather than state, constituencies. This might prove the most difficult change to bring about, but one of the most important. Alternatively, each state might retain its two senators, as prescribed by Article V, but Senators would have weighted votes based on their state's population. If all else fails, the Senate could be relieved of all real power becoming an advisory body only.

7. Elimination of the unconscionable (and growing) disparity in the distribution of wealth. This would require an aggressive, vigorous policy of progressive taxation and absolute limitations on inheritance. A wealth tax to replace income tax.

8. Elimination of primary elections for national office with candidates to be nominated by their political parties.

9. Supreme Court nominees (maybe candidates for all Federal judgeships) to be proposed by the House, vetted by the President and approved by the Senate. For example, the House might be allowed to propose five candidates, the President to select two of the five, and the Senate to approve one of the two (or to reject both in which case the process would begin again). Both the President and the Senate might be required to act within a certain time frame.

10. Equal television time for all major party candidates for Federal elective office.

11. Elimination of special privileges (perks) and "gifts" for all members of Congress. For example, members would be required to get their health care just as any member of the public or the most humble government employee gets theirs. Also, no special clubs or spas for members, no cut-rate dining rooms, etc.

12. Federal regulation of funding for public education that would insure equitable distribution of funds nationwide based solely on student enrollment.

13. A loop-hole free, hard-nosed and effective campaign finance law. This might require that the Supreme Court overturn its recent free speech ruling (the Supreme Court's equation of money with "speech" ) or that congress enact an imaginative law to circumvent its noxious effects.

14. Opportunity for the public to decide directly, perhaps every seven or twelve years, whether or not they would like to convene a constitutional convention for the purpose of revising or amending the constitution. The question might be placed simultaneously on the ballots of each of the states and might require approval by two thirds majority of the national electorate (not the states) to carry.

“A well-instructed people alone can be permanently a free people.” – James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787

• Thanks To GOP - 9 Million Children In Danger   1 day 20 hours ago

What the GOP is trying to do to the ACA is disgusting at best and down right evil at worst. Trying to deny and take insurance from the most vulnearble people in our society is in of itself sick. Being poor isn't a crime and neither is being a child, getting sick or aging and they're trying to punish each one of these groups so that Donald Chump can leave more money to his grandchildren. I work with insurance companies al the time and there is nothing more frustrating than having to discharge someone from my facility knowing full well that they're not ready to go home but the insurance coompany's clinical staff has reviewed their progress and thinks that there's no need to pay for more therapy. Another thing that is extremely frustrating is watching these commercials that try to steer seniors who are eligble for medicare into what's known as HMO. These managed care policies are the abssolute worst because their only concern is to save the company bottom line.

There's a 1 in 20 Chance of the Apocalypse. Shouldn't We Act Now?

A new study published in Science argues that we as a civilization need to move "rapidly" -- as in almost immediately -- towards a carbon emissions free future if we are to have any chance of holding off runaway global warming: