Recent comments

• Republicans Failing Their Corporate Sponsors Could Be a Miracle For Democracy   6 days 6 hours ago

Zeke, I don't have time to verify your statements, but consider this, how many Kochpublicans want Medicare for all????....something many Dems are already pushing for.

• Republicans Failing Their Corporate Sponsors Could Be a Miracle For Democracy   6 days 7 hours ago

Thom:

With this conservative takeover, you certainly have a lot to write about. But it must be disheartening to see all that you have worked for as a writer to be dismantled before your very eyes.

Experts predict that Kochpublican tax/ACA repeal legislation will cause health insurance premiums to rise by at least 10%, which means an increase of $$$thousands$$$ to most. It's pretty simple math, if your health insurance plan costs you and or your employer $10,000/yr, then the increase will be $1000. Even this low-ball amount is far more than the temporary tax cut that only some "working people" will get.

States like Calif. and N.Y. need to go single-payer immediately....in my opinion this would be best way for the , "We the People," Blue States to fight back. Lead by example and let the, "We the Billionaires," Red States continue to pay for their sins.

Kochbaggers will tell you that massive tax breaks for the rich will grow the economy and thus offset the 1.7 trillion being added to the deficit, in other words their talking point is the biggest economic lie already told....many decades old and proven to not work.

Yep, they're going to break it and not know how to fix it. Get ready for the fall of our empire...seriously. Putin will tell you what that feels like. He's about to get his revenge.

The Dems had 8 years to make Obama care work, why didn't they? They would probably be in office now if they didn't run princess pantsuit. What I saw was 8 years of Dems with their head stuck in their underwear, all things LGBT were the priority. Obama care and LGBT are the only accomplishments I can think of, and neither group seem very happy with the results.

So... if California goes single payer on it's own how long before everyone without medical moves to California? Which has no housing or water???

As bad as it is the Dems brought it on themselves.

Keep letting the Corporations lobbists run the country and you won't even want to use the health care we do have.

Please lets not forget they successfuly lobby both sides.

Get the cemetaries ready, and fire up the furnaces.. There's going to be a LOT of dead people coming! I wonder if I'll have enough money left for my creamation? What Irony - They used to call Obamacare, "death care"..

• I Want a President Who Will Say...   6 days 9 hours ago
    Quote BenDorigan:

gumball, you are the politest troll I have ever encountered. Kudos to you for not being outright rude and vicious.

I'm not here to troll, I enjoy friendly conversations with folks of a different viewpoint :)

It was more interesting before Thom shut the forum down, this blog set up is not very user friendly.

• I Want a President Who Will Say...   6 days 9 hours ago

I'm not suggesting that ending private gun ownership is your intention, I am of the belief that it will be the end result though. Why? Because all the proposed "solutions" will not achieve the goal of lowering gun violence. Why? Because criminals do not follow the laws.

It is not required to have registration on a car that you own. Only to drive it on public roads. That point aside, I think registration is naive. How many do you think are actually going to follow through with this? There are literally hundreds of millions of guns in circulation. What should be done to those that ignore the registration? Is this really an enforceable law?

You ever hear a politician suggest anything close to what you are? They use terms like "Common Sense" gun laws and will not suggest anything beyond assault rifle bans and the "gun show loophole". We closed that "loophole" here in Washington state 3 years ago. It is roundly ignored.

I'm not passionate about guns, and I personally don't really care about gun control.

• Republicans Failing Their Corporate Sponsors Could Be a Miracle For Democracy   6 days 9 hours ago

The vast majority of Trumps base Got screwed today by the Republican Congress tax vote. They are on the path to making the 1% more wealthy at their expense.

Yes, Tom. It really is tragic that a huge number of well to do people in this country do not care if children, disabled and poor do not have healthcare if it involves costing them a cent while they drive around in their Mercedez or Cadillac, with children in choice prep schools or Ivy League Universities, and whine that they have to pay any taxes at all. Their logic is to delegitimize the unfortunate, blame the poor for not making enough money as they attempt to do away with any minimum wage. A really pitiful example of brotherly love from a lot of folks who care only for themselves and claim to be good Christians.

This is a very risky move by the GOP when one looks at the temprement in the USA today. You can fool some of the people mainly GOP voters for awhile but when the steep bills come in for healthcare for their parents. That is going to be like a huge electric shock to them.

The GOP has set this up for a very harsh response when you consider how they have pushed their voters with fear and then sided with NRA for them to have all the guns they want. We just might be watching the beginnings of an American revolt against the elite in the GOP.

Remember it happened in France and the elite in France ,like the GOP of today never saw it coming. But the mood is ripe for it just read the various blogs, news sources and comments on twitter and FB.

• Republicans Failing Their Corporate Sponsors Could Be a Miracle For Democracy   6 days 10 hours ago

This final movement of all new wealth into the off-shore hidden accounts of the 1% will lead to a revolution. We are repeating the circimstances of the Great Depression, except for an ever more select few. Where's FDR when we need a real, patriotic, American President? The current thief-in-chief will be the symbol for the rebellion, as soon as the so far ignorant average American finally sees through the propaganda wall and realizes the truth. God help us!

• I HATE CHRISTMAS   6 days 10 hours ago

Historians say that 25 December was selected as a "christian" holiday by the Roman emperor Justinian I. Justinian was the man who ordered the eastern part of the empire under his juristiction to become christian. Those that did not ran the risk of losing their citizenship, property or and their lives. The people in Samaria objected. Justinian had around 60,000 innocent people killed by his soldiers, had Samarian orchards and crops burned and then he ordered thousands more people sold into slavery to pay for the military operation.

Ironically the U.S. Army's battle flag has the picture of a roman soldiers uniform at its center; a symbol of death, destruction and blatant colonialism.

I don't see anything particulary merry about this holiday which has been forced upon us.

• I HATE CHRISTMAS   6 days 12 hours ago

Shrug. It seem to fit somehow.

• We Need To Stop Blaming China and Blame Ourselves   6 days 12 hours ago

I agree with DianeR and Jane White and Thom, that Bill and all those 3rd-wayers (Obama, Hillary etc.) could be labeled outsourcers-in-chiefs. However, NAFTA was a creation of the republicans and Ron and H.W. Bill just signed the bill. As Thom says all the so-called trade deals were passed by a majority of the repugs, and opposed by the majority of the dems.

• I HATE CHRISTMAS   6 days 13 hours ago

Zap,

Is Chrismas a baby shower or a funeral? Or mainly a good excuse to get down and party?

The fundamental truth is that most folks can't afford Christmas as celebrated in our pop culture of excessive gift-giving, excessive partying and pious role playing. When you see the ads on tv for giving a new Mercedes or Lexus for Christmas you get the strong message that you are a loser if you can't pony up the cash for such a present.

Even the biggest sleasebags in the community dive into the festivities and put in their once yearly appearance at a candlelight service. Unfortunately this has become an over-the-top commercial holiday season designed to stoke merchandise sales, depression, sadness and regret and feelings of inadequacy, accompanied by overplayed ballads and heart wrenching sentimental tunes, which are inescapable, whether you are on isle 2 in Wallmart or fetching a gallon of milk from the corner store. It drives sales and credit card abuse. It creates an unrealistic sense of entitlement and self-reward. It creates debt.

This inescapable cloud hangs everywhere. No wonder suicides rise and many spirits slump. This has become a time of the year for guilt and regret and for atoning for your neglect by passing out presents and greetings to people who you largely ignore the rest of the year. How many times does this guy have to be born or die for people to get the message? The spirit of Christmas, if that's your schtick, should prevail on a more daily basis, not relegated to a few weeks or days in order to be a relief valve for societal neglect.

Just ask yourself this question: what would I do if I could not fork over gifts to celebrate Christmas? I know the so-called wise men brought gifts, but the merchants converted that part of the story to a pitch that obligates everyone to be giving gifts to everyone.

What if you were only permitted to give to the poor?

And hardly is Christmas overwhen we are barraged by the animal cruelty clean-up hitters, with the sad violins and piano background refrains with images of abused and neglected kittens and puppies.

Its a wonder we haven't all jumped off the bridge after that.

Happy holidays......and peace on earth.

• Is This The End Of Patriarchy?   6 days 14 hours ago

Sit tight. I am sure Thoms entire show Friday will be about the nasty antics of Senator Al Franken and his homophobic and misogynistic antics leading up to his rise from Stuart Smally to angry Senator from Minnesota.

Will Thom call for his resignation?

• I Want a President Who Will Say...   6 days 14 hours ago

It amazes me that you made the jump from what I wrote, to- I want to confiscate your guns. You have presumed that's the goal I’m really hiding as a gun control advocate. You fear an agenda that does not exist in me. It may exist in some. I, however, am certain that what most gun control advocates would like to see is something, anything that acknowledges and addresses the inherent danger in these weapons being readily available to what amounts to a volatile and frightened populace hooked on booze and drugs. The evidence that we have a problem surfaces daily.

I, for one, am not trying to take all of your guns. Maybe you see it that way because that's how you see the world, as a constant winner-take-all battle where compromise isn't an option. That's certainly how Republicans in Washington behave. They show no interest in including the Democrats in anything, seeking only to grow more and more radically right and intolerant. That's also exactly how the NRA behaves, yielding no ground ever, seeking only for more of their own gain, getting more guns into more hands.

I like Tom's solution, treating gun ownership like car ownership. I think all fire arms should be registered for life, that owners should be licensed, and that gun owners should carry an amount of liability insurance that reflects the # and type of firearms they own, as well as their record or history as a responsible gun owner. A kid finds a pistol and shoots his brains out in your house, the insurance pays the family and your premiums go way up.

Further, I think there should be a voluntary gun registration period of one year. After that, any arm in the United States that isn’t registered is essentially worthless as anything other than an heirloom because you can't sell it anywhere but on the black market. Likewise, every time authorities find a firearm through the course of their regular duties (no raids just to find guns), they get registered or destroyed. This eliminates law enforcement from potentially dumping traceless, seized firearms into the black market.

I think demonstrating mental fitness for gun ownership should be a part of the licensure process. I think a face-to-face interview with an applicant by a qualified individual armed with a few well-crafted questions may be able to weed out some of the screwballs who shouldn't have guns. It’s not perfect, but it’s something instead of nothing, like the US always does.

I don't like compromising any more than the next guy. Would that the world be exactly as I would have it, right? But I get there are other strong interest besides my own here, and I respect the value of compromise. What Americans who want sensible gun controls in place are up against is a mentality that says- "no gun control, period, because I know what you really want! You want to take all my guns!" I'm telling you we don't (a small minority may). I know how much you love your guns. I don't necessarily understand your passion, but I get that we're not changing that. We just want some give on your side, some compromise, an agreement to try something instead of nothing for a change. I'm willing to have what works be enough.

• SICKNESS that PERMEATES American Society   6 days 16 hours ago
    Quote zapdam:

Americas 'silent majority' have risen from the hinterland of America and what they have shown us all is they are mostly white, they lack analytical intelligence, are irrational, are devoid of morality and are severely racist. They would sooner put their lives and their country in the hands of white right wing fascists and bring on the darkness tyranny, than try to live in harmony with the new emerging brown and black skinned rising majority.

It's very apparent everyone living outside the state's has no idea what the truth is in my country!!!!! The vast majority doesn't actually agree with much of the bs going on in our country.... There has been laws passed and things forced on to the rest of us by a smaller group that has gained power thru scandalous ways......Our media is bold face liars and have been for over 20 years.....White people are taking the blame for things that really has nothing to do with the majority....I am curio which makes me a mixed race..... Although I am a red head with white skin, I still get to listen to be coming out of others mouths that truly has no clue or even remotely has a idea...... The bottom line people are being brainwashed into another war over the color of skin!!!
    The very sad part is that history will repeat itself and it will not be good for any human being on this planet....... Also our nature will never allow complete peace thru out the world that is a pipe dream that will never happen... I'm sure their will be several people who will get all offended for their lack of knowledge and history, going by made up bs created for others agenda........ If you don't believe me try really looking at the world and the real history.... I'm not talking about the bs you learn on tv or in the books your given in school because both have been twisted to suit certain people's agenda and are far from the truth.....

• I Want a President Who Will Say...   6 days 16 hours ago
    Quote BenDorigan:

Eliminating these turns "36 Dead at Food Court Massacre" into maybe 2 or 3 dead. That, to me, is a meaningful start.

Or 86 killed with a truck like Nice, France. Or 2,977 killed by men armed with box cutters like 9/11.I say that not to be flippant, but to point out that a person with evil intent will find a way.

The vast majority of gun violence is committed with handguns, not rifles. There are hundreds of millions of guns in the US, are you going to start confiscating them? That is why gun owners are so against anything, they see the real goal that gun control advocates want.

• It Doesn't Cost Billionaires Anything To Oppress You   6 days 16 hours ago

‘Al Franken kissed and groped me without my consent,’ broadcaster Leeann Tweeden says
    Broadcaster and model Leeann Tweeden said Thursday that Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) “forcibly kissed” her and groped her during a USO tour in 2006, saying that “there’s nothing funny about sexual assault.”
    “You knew exactly what you were doing,” Tweeden wrote in a blog post for Los Angeles radio station KABC, for which she works as a morning news anchor. “You forcibly kissed me without my consent, grabbed my breasts while I was sleeping and had someone take a photo of you doing it, knowing I would see it later and be ashamed.”
    The allegations came two days after a stunning hearing where lawmakers acknowledged sexual harassment is a pervasive problem on Capitol Hill.
    In her blog post, Tweeden recalled that Franken “had written some skits for the show and brought props and costumes to go along with them. Like many USO shows before and since, the skits were full of sexual innuendo geared toward a young, male audience.”
    Franken, she said, “had written a moment when his character comes at me for a ‘kiss’. I suspected what he was after, but I figured I could turn my head at the last minute or put my hand over his mouth, to get more laughs from the crowd.”
    But on the day of the show, she wrote, “Franken and I were alone backstage going over our lines one last time. He said to me, “We need to rehearse the kiss.” I laughed and ignored him. Then he said it again. I said something like, ‘Relax Al, this isn’t SNL … we don’t need to rehearse the kiss.’
    In a statement, Franken said: “I certainly don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way, but I send my sincerest apologies to Leeann.
    “As to the photo, it was clearly intended to be funny but wasn’t. I shouldn’t have done it.”
    Tweeden’s blog post included an image of Franken looking into a camera, his hands either over or on Tweeden’s chest as she slept.
    “The tour wrapped and on Christmas Eve we began the 36-hour trip home to L.A.,” she wrote. “After two weeks of grueling travel and performing, I was exhausted. When our C-17 cargo plane took off from Afghanistan I immediately fell asleep, even though I was still wearing my flak vest and Kevlar helmet.”
    Get the Post Most Newsletter
    The daily must-reads, delivered to your inbox every morning.
    Upon returning to the United States, Tweeden said, she was “looking through the CD of photos we were given by the photographer” when she came across the image. It was not immediately clear who took the photo.
    Franken, an Air America radio host at the time of the alleged incident, was elected to the Senate two years later, in 2008.
    Leaders of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
    Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Franken’s home state colleague, also didn’t immediately respond to inquiries. She is co-sponsor of a bill unanimously approved by the Senate last week that will mandate sexual harassment training for all senators and their staffs.
    On Tuesday, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) announced that the House will adopt a policy change to make anti-harassment training mandatory for all members and staff.
    That announcement followed a congressional hearing during which members publicly came to terms with sexual harassment as a pervasive problem on Capitol Hill. Female lawmakers aired tantalizing details, albeit without naming names, of unwanted sexual comments and advances taking place in their midst.
    “This is about a member, who is here [in Congress] now. I don’t know who it is, but somebody who I trust told me this situation,” Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-Va.) said at the hearing Tuesday.
    Harassers have propositioned themselves to staff members by asking: “Are you going to be a good girl?” Some have exposed their genitals to victims. Others have grabbed victims by their private parts on the House floor, Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) said.
    “In fact, there are two members of Congress, Republican and Democrat, right now, who serve, who have not been subject to review but have engaged in sexual harassment,” said Speier, who has been pushing for years to make anti-harassment training a requirement.
    In a Facebook post last month, as sexual assault accusations began to mount against Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, Franken applauded the bravery of the women who shared their stories.
    “It takes a lot of courage to come forward, and we owe them our thanks,” he wrote. “And as we hear more and more about Mr. Weinstein, it’s important to remember that while his behavior was appalling, it’s far too common.”
    Lawmakers in recent weeks have come under pressure to improve the workplace culture on the Hill amid reports from multiple news outlets, including The Washington Post, of lewd comments, unwanted sexual advances and other examples of sexual misconduct that have plagued Congress for decades. More than 1,500 former congressional employees have signed a letter urging Congress to require anti-harassment training and to overhaul the reporting process, which advocates say is stacked against the victim and designed to protect the institution.
    Last week, the Senate for the first time in its history required members and their aides to receive anti-harassment training. The Office of Compliance and the Office of House Employment Counsel currently provide training upon request.
    Tweeden said she finally decided to share her story now “because there may be others.”
    She wrote:
    In 2009, Franken was presented a USO Merit Award to recognize the tours he’d taken overseas to visit troops as well as his visits with wounded soldiers at local military hospitals.
    Ed O’Keefe contributed to this report, which is developing and will be updated.
    J. Freedom du Lac is the editor of The Post's general assignment news desk. He was previously a Local enterprise reporter and, before that, the paper’s pop music critic.
    Lindsey Bever is a general assignment reporter for The Washington Post.
    Michelle Ye Hee Lee is a national political enterprise and investigations reporter for The Washington Post.
    Democracy Dies in Darkness
    © 1996-2017 The Washington Post

• We Need To Stop Blaming China and Blame Ourselves   6 days 19 hours ago

Aside from inventing a new version of the cigar humidor, he also gave us NAFTA.

"Bill Clinton’s True Legacy: Outsourcer-in-Chief"

• Human Evolution   6 days 21 hours ago

I agree that a lot of developments have come from higher education. But don't forget about self-education and new technologies that can help us in this. Now the era of Internet and information is more accessible than ever. A lot of different lectures, courses, workshops (like Coursera, edX, Udacity) where you study independently. In addition, VR technology is actively developing. For resources such as https://answershark.com/, where you can get help in preparing essays and reviews, VR can become an assistant in building communication between students and teachers and also help to organize work more productively. In many laboratories such technologies are already included in the education program.

• We Need To Stop Blaming China and Blame Ourselves   1 week 1 hour ago

For years Taiwan banned motorcycles larger than 500cc. In oneof the trade bargains the USA got relief from this (had to give something away to get it) and Harley Davidson set up shop in Taipei. Nice shop. But they sell for about twice what they sell for in the USA due to Tariffs. The USA also got approval to import USA beef into Taiwan. But the Taiwanese people wanted nothing to do with our Growth Hormones etc. Literally demonstrated in the streets. To this day beef has labeling as to where it is from (most Australia) and how it was fed.

• Who rejected United States-North Korea peace talks?   1 week 1 hour ago

In the context of recent (mis)happenings in the eastern most corner of the world, the topic of the relations between the US and North Korea has again sprung in the limelight. After North Korea fired a demonstration of their strength – an intercontinental ballistic missile that could carry nuclear arsenal – over Japan, the Pentagon has been on alert. This article talks in an expert manner as to how the peace initiations between Washington and Pyongyang have again been kept in the fridge. It was found out in a case study that US did the initiation for a peace treaty, but had some terms that were deemed steep by North Korea, and therefore the conversation got flushed down the drain. We all, however, hope for these two nations to solve this conflict.

• Is This The End Of Patriarchy?   1 week 5 hours ago

Patriarchy's brought us to The Brink.

Not at all sad to see it die, along with its ugly 1st cousin, racism.

Perhaps we can get along with Living -- healing this Planet, ourselves ... after all.....

So you think You'll Get a Tax Break, or tax cut? Really?

A letter was sent out recently by the American Medical Association, the American Hospital Association, the American Academy of Family Physicians.

You're not hearing Breitbart News or Common Dreams - right or left - organizations or news sites with a point of view other than that they are committed to healing people.