WHY I AM ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT AT PATREON?

Your support of the program is invaluable. Producing the Thom Hartmann Program is a labor of love for the team, but doesn't come without cost. We supply the program to non-profit, community and volunteer radio and cable stations across the US. However, this isn't cost-free and being a supporter through Patreon means you can help us to meet some of the bills, to allow us to continue free supply to the non-profit sector.

As a way of saying thank you, we would like to give you something back for your support at various levels. Every weekday, the live Thom Hartmann Program three hour program is recorded exclusively for Patreon supporters. Unedited, the full three-hour video will be right here on the Patreon page, within a couple of hours of the end of the live program. And we're also providing extra videos exclusive to sponsors.
Sponsor Special: How to Stop Your Food From Killing You. The American diet is now killing more people than high blood pressure and smoking

Become a Thom Supporter- Click the Patreon button

Recent comments

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Couple of things: 1) The only people who are for the war on drugs are the people who cannot follow logic (ie.; what did prohibition do for "curing" drunks?) or economics (without the blackmarket, the problems associated with drugs would not exist) or have a vested interest in the economics (CIA funding, cops getting fast cars for "undercover work", city, county governments getting extra funding to fight the losing battle.
    2) What was the name of the man that was on speaking with Peter B about 3 mile Island? and the name of his book? I think it is very scary that we are even considering nuclear energy and "clean coal",

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Between censuses, any dysfunction of society, will introduce a set of numbers which are in error. And the social problem of drug abuse may obviously 'hurt' the three layers of the American Pie: the institutional, structural, and familial layers. Decriminalization, may unravel the 'business' of illicit drugs, as it has woven its way ito these abstract, layers.

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

as for the website, I tried to sign in a while ago and my password didn't work, so I asked for a new one: first they said they didn't recognize my email. But then later they did send me a new password: however the one they sent me didn't work, but now my original one does work
    so I am now signed in, but I am unable to get to the Community forum, where I was following a couple of threads

Is this about having to now be a paid subscriber ? or am I being banned?

• VIDEO OF THOM ON CNN'S "LARRY KING LIVE" 3/23/2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Thom was way out of his league on this panel. Even Huffington looked confused at his ramblings. No wonder he hasn't progressed in media popularity. What a sad display.

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks mathboy... I found it. Last week I was able to get there through another route.

Adios, amigo

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

B Roll: To log out, click on the word "members" in the Welcome in the upper right. It takes you to the page you get when you log in, and it has a log-out button at the top right..

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

This website sucks so bad. I logged-in and now I can't log-out. I usually have to go to community and then to my home to find a log-out button. Today that button isn't there. But it does have a place for me to login, So I tried to login hoping that I would then be able to log-out, but it tells me my password isn't correct.

When I tried to log-in during the first hour, the site couldn't find couldn't find the page and gave me a 404 error. So I came back a while ago, I was able to login, but now I can't log-out.

Then there's the fact that it's not uncommon for the home page to not format correctly, and several times it just wouldn't load.

I have no idea what might happen when I hit the post comment button. I hope an asteroid come through the roof. I'm under the desk now and I'm going to click.

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Three-Mile Island's problem was human error. Not to mention that humans have actually learned something in the last 30 years. Nuclear power plants don't have to be designed exactly the same way.

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

I think what really bothers about this issue is that it seems to have reduced all definitions of freedom to purely economical considerations that stay within the parameters of our role as producer consumers. To listen to the mainstream, you get the feeling that Freedom is little more than a choice between Coke or Pepsi, or which SUV to buy, or our questionable right to achieve prosperity. It fails to recognize that authentic Freedom is about how the individual chooses to live and experience their point A to point B. Prosperity and things are little more than a means to those things.

I’ve watched this change saturate our culture since the 80’s. And Obama, by flippantly dismissing the idea of legalization, showed that there is little hope of this development turning back anytime soon.

• March 30th 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

I don't know about outright legalization of all drugs. For instance, I certainly can't see any justification for legalizing krank, which to me is a nasty bathtub drug. At the same time, it would be nice to see some rational and considerate discourse on the matter -that is as compared to the one sided dictation that has been primarily dominated by hysteria.

What tiffs me off about this is the way politicians play it cool on the subject when they're trying to get elected, then fall back on typical mainstream militancy when they're in. Obama did it when he dismissed the notion of legalization offhand. And if you were to read the Obama website during the election, you might have noticed how they completely downplayed Biden's role in the War on Drugs and how he was the loudest voice in calling for the establishment of a drug czar, Clinton did as much when asked, on MTV's Rock the Vote, if he had it to do all over again, would he inhale. Clinton just chuckled and said he would have but couldn't because of his allergies. Then, after he got in, promised to raise the riot act when San Francisco legalized pot for medicinal purposes. It's like want to court the casual users vote then, when in, want to resort to the politically safe anti-drug stance.

The thing is, both he and Obama threw away an opportunity to show an enlightened and considerate intellect that was above the common fray.

• VIDEO OF THOM ON CNN'S "LARRY KING LIVE" 3/23/2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Who 'appointed' Mr. King, as arbiter of a public employee's fate? Without Mr. Hartmann, in that interview it would have been 'pure gottcha'! Why is any trusted MSM voice, post-Cronkite, any more than many, melifluous, bass tones??

• VIDEO OF THOM ON CNN'S "LARRY KING LIVE" 3/23/2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

I think that Thom is an excellent spokesperson for progressive change in this country. What Thom was saying in the video is essentially what the article today in the Huffington Post says: "If a Financial Institution is Too Big to Fail, It's Just Too Big," By Robert Creamer, Huffington Post. I recommend the article as a good read. It tells us the BofA and Citi have about 45% of the total banking market in the US right now. 45%! That is nuts. They need to be broken up into smaller, more regulated pieces.
    I have mixed feelings on whether Thom should spend more time on the cable talk shows. Surely a voice like his is needed, but is it worth his time? I'l rather have him play a role in the Obama administration directly, I think. He's a good one, for sure. He sure represents my views on most issues (immigration reform and globalization are areas we might disagree).

• The Real Criminals are Neither Lynndie England nor the AIG Traders   10 years 3 weeks ago

Haha, this is such a fantasy. Liberals think that taxes will solve their problems. This country existed for over 135 years without any income tax. Why do we need them now?

No less, every single tax cut has produced more money in the long term. We went from 90% to 35% and we have more money flowing into the coffers than ever before. Look at the Bush cuts. He cut the taxes and more money flew into the treasury than ever before. Hate Bush Jr., Clinton did the same thing. Hate Clinton, Raegen did the same thing. All of them had the same results. More money to the Government.

If you hate the US, then look at Europe. It is less productive and less influential than the US is in any financial measurement. Hate Europe, Russia failed. Hate Russia, China is turning capitalist and they are growing so fast is incomprehensible. Hate China, look at Mexico and its reduction in income taxes. It was growing quite quickly until this recession hit us.

Don't believe me, try Wikipedia. Andrew Mellon, Treasury Secretary from 1921 to 1932 argued that a cut in taxes would actually increase revenue. It worked. He cut the marginal tax rate from 77 percent to 25 percent. He even believed in progressive income taxes. And I quote "Mellon's policy reduced the public debt (largely inherited from World War I obligations) from almost $26 billion in 1921 to about $16 billion in 1930, ..." Read the information yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_William_Mellon

Oh, I forgot about Bush senior. He raised taxes, against his wish, and we had the 91-92 recession.

Do your research people. Pull the numbers from the IRS Website or history. Show me where more taxes has ever increased GDP or put more money in the Treasury over the long run. The facts go 100% contrary to any argument made yet.

• On the Program March 27 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Back in 2002 or 2003 then Congressman Sanders called for an investigation into the IMF regarding the Brazil Bailout.
    Q1: Did that investigation ever take place and if yes, what were the conclusions of that investigation?
    Q2: Do you think the IMF should be investigated now?

imbillorightsmanandiapprovethismessage

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

To find the Bill in the House of Representatives - go to http://www.house.gov/ then scroll down to FIND A BILL, AMENDMENT OR DEBATE and click on Search Thomas by Bill Text or Number. Then in the drop down, select Bill Number and enter H.R. 875 (make sure you put in the periods)

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Thom,

You said that we learned the lessons of non-violent resistance from Gandhi and Nelson Mandela.

Have you forgotten that Mandela was one of the co-founders and leader of Umkhonto we Sizwe (translated Spear of the Nation) the armed wing of the African National Congress in 1961 when he was 43 years old.

You can say that Umkhonto we Sizwe (aka the MK) participated in demonstration violence for the purpose of encouraging and arousing the black population of South Africa, and took care not to hurt civilians in the early days, but I don’t think it was non-violent. These actions were very similar to what was done by the Weathermen in this country.

However, Umkhonto we Sizwe escalated the violence some years later and there were civilian casualties. Mandela was still in prison at that time, but probably was in contact. And don’t forget that during the waning days of the apartheid regime, there were violent conflicts between the ANC and the Inkatha led by Mangosuthu Buthelezi.

By the time that Mandela was released from prison, the situation had changed dramatically.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of political violence. I'm just trying to set the historical record straight.

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Same thing on senate website, searched "425", "S 425", "S 425 organic", nothing that is obviously the same bill we're talking about here... Something Sherrod Brown is working on for biogas...? Is it me, or is it hard to find the actual bills on the government sites? Seems like this has happened before to me - I would like to put something on my fb site, with a link to the actual bills, because for people who aren't already in the same mindset as I am, maybe they would think that is more 'reliable' information than links to blog sites that are railing against something...

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Thom:
    What happened to Mark Rudd? He was on the air to you talking about the strategy they used in the 60s, etc....can you get him back????

Joe

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

I tried to look it up in the house by searching "875" and all that I can see on this subject is this page: http://delauro.house.gov/files/HR875_Myths_Facts1.pdf
    (It basically debunks everything said, like:
    "There is no language in the bill that would...
    regulate, penalize, or shut down backyard gardens,
    result in farmers' markets being regulated, penalized with fines, or shut down,
    result in the 'death of organic farming', or mandate the use of chemicals or certain types of seeds, etc.
    Is there a link that will take me straight to the bill itself?

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Thom,

You like the story that the USA is this a unique country that was established on an ideal not genetics. I disagree.

I'd say that the United States was built by almost wiping out the genetics of the indigenous inhabitants and stealing their land, and by enslaving the genetics of millions of Africans and making them work that land. The borders of the U.S. were set through military conquest.

As far as your belief that all other countries are based on genetics, I'd like to point out that many, maybe the great majority of other countries have had their borders defined by the strength of their military during certain times in their histories. Who ever lived within the borders that the military could defend became part of that country, no matter what their genetics was, unless they were expelled or killed off.

China has many different ethnicities within it's borders as does Russia. The majority of the population of Argentina is European while the indigenous people make up less than 10%. There are blond haired blue eyed people in northern Italy with Germanic names like Hans Auschenbach, while you're more likely to find darker skinned darker haired guys with names like Giovanni Calabrese further south.

The nations of the Middle East and Africa were formed by the European colonialists, not by the indigenous people.

I'd also question your claim that the people who immigrate to this country from Mexico are necessarily the most industrious. A lot of the immigrants are the people who weren't able to make it in their country under the conditions of the time. Many are simple peasants who've been driven off the land their families have lived on for generations, either because they can't afford to sell their crops for the same price that subsidized produce from the U.S. can be sold or because the land has been taken away to grow crops for exports.

There's a difference between people get on a boat or airplane and move to another place to improve their lives and people who merely cross a border to try to survive. And don't interpret this as a put down of Mexican immigrants. I'm far more accepting of them than you are. I'm just describing the reality of their lives.

It also seems to me that there's an inconsistency between your prescriptions for the U.S. and Mexico. You say that social change in the U.S. must come from the middle class.

But you think that social change in Mexico should come from “poor” people who have come to the U.S. illegally because they couldn’t make a decent living in their country. If they won’t go back voluntarily, you want to starve them out. You call it “illegal employer problem”.

Sorry to have to use the "poor" on your website. I know the world isn't indigenous to your show. I hope it isn't illegal here.

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

The Bill in the House is H.R. 875 and in the Senate S 425 - you can read more about it at http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=12671 or go to the House and Senate sites and read the actual Bills.

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

The day the feds come to my small backyrd farm and try to outlaw my activivties is the day I start the new American Revolution. To control our food network is a tatic to control us even further. If we rebel "they" turn the food distribution networks off. WE ARE BEING ENSLAVED in chunks. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.
    Nepharous

• On the Program March 26 2009   10 years 3 weeks ago

Check out this post at Talking Points Memo and be somewaht reassured.

• On the Program March 24 2009   10 years 4 weeks ago

"This is Ronald Reagan speaking to you from Hollywood. You know me as a motion picture actor but tonight I'm just a citizen pretty concerned about the national election next month and more than a little impatient with those promises the Republicans made before they got control of Congress a couple years ago.

I remember listening to the radio on election night in 1946. Joseph Martin, the Republican Speaker of the House, said very solemnly, and I quote, "We Republicans intend to work for a real increase in income for everybody by encouraging more production and lower prices without impairing wages or working conditions", unquote. Remember that promise: a real increase in income for everybody. But what actually happened?

The profits of corporations have doubled, while workers' wages have increased by only one-quarter. In other words, profits have gone up four times as much as wages, and the small increase workers did receive was more than eaten up by rising prices, which have also bored into their savings. For example, here is an Associate Press Dispatch I read the other day about Smith L. Carpenter, a craftsman in Union Springs, New York. It seems that Mr. Carpenter retired some years ago thinking he had enough money saved up that he could live out his last years without having to worry. But he didn’t figure on this Republican inflation, which ate up all of his savings, and so he's gone back to work. The reason this is news, is Mr. Carpenter is 91 years old.

Now, take as a contrast the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, which reported a net profit of $210 million after taxes for the first half of 1948; an increase of 70% in one year. In other words, high prices have not been caused by higher wages, but by bigger and bigger profits.

The Republican promises sounded pretty good in 1946, but what has happened since then, since the 80th Congress took over? Prices have climbed to the highest level in history, although the death of the OPA was supposed to bring prices down through "the natural process of free competition". Labor has been handcuffed with the vicious Taft-Hartley law. Social Security benefits have been snatched away from almost a million workers by the Gearhart bill. Fair employment practices, which had worked so well during war time, have been abandoned. Veterans' pleas for low cost homes have been ignored, and many people are still living in made-over chicken coops and garages.

Tax-reduction bills have been passed to benefit the higher-income brackets alone. The average worker saved only $1.73 a week. In the false name of economy, millions of children have been deprived of milk once provided through the federal school lunch program. This was the payoff of the Republicans' promises. And this is why we must have new faces in the Congress of the United States: Democratic faces.

This is why we must not only elect President Truman, but also men like Mayor Hubert Humphrey of Minneapolis, the Democratic candidate for Senator from Minnesota. Mayor Humphrey at 37 is one of the ablest men in public life. He's running against Joe Ball, who was a member of the Senate Labor Committee, helped write the Taft-Hartley law. The Republicans don't want to lose Ball, and are spending a small fortune on his campaign. They've even sent [Thomas] Dewey and [Earl] Warren to Minneapolis to speak for him. President Truman knows the value of a man like Hubert Humphrey in the Senate, and he has been in Minneapolis too, campaigning against Joe Ball. Mayor Humphrey and Ball are the symbols of the political battle going on in America today. While Ball is a banner carrier for Wall Street, Mayor Humphrey is fighting for all the principles advocated by President Truman; for adequate low cost housing, for civil rights, for prices people can afford to pay, and for a labor movement freed of the Taft-Hartley law. I take great pride in presenting my friend from Minneapolis, Mayor Hubert H. Humphrey, candidate for United States Senator."

Reagan Campaigns for Truman in 1948.

• The Real Criminals are Neither Lynndie England nor the AIG Traders   10 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks a lot for identifying the Conservative World View!
    This 'ponzi scheme' may have been: 1/3 irresponsible sound bites, plus 1/3 irresponsible spending, plus 1/3 irresponsible promises, all 'fluff' and no substance! Good on you!!

Sign Up For The Thom Hartmann Newsletter Now

• Discover the Videos of the Day
  • Get The Daily Stack - Each & Every Article that Is Researched for the Program
  • Read Thom's Daily Blog

No More Presidential Immunity!

Thom plus logo When Richard Nixon committed multiple Felonies, including accepting bribes in cash in the White House, Jerry Ford chose to pardon him.

When Ronald Reagan committed treason in 1980 to get elected, Attorney General Bill Barr shut down the investigation in 1992 with five pardons.