Recent comments

• April 28th 2009 Tuesday   10 years 7 weeks ago

Can Thom or the guest talk about the real reason gov'ts torture? Isn't it partly to scare the rest of the population into not resisting / dissenting / protesting?

We are distracted discussing "did torture yield actionable intelligence" while ignoring one real reason we torture: because it works for that aim. Of course I am against that aim but let's get it into the open and attack *that*

• April 28th 2009 Tuesday   10 years 7 weeks ago

Britain's torture of Obama's grandfather

Hussein Onyango Obama, a British soldier in the second world war, was locked up as a Mau Mau rebel in Kenya

• April 28th 2009 Tuesday   10 years 7 weeks ago

I think that this is a good thing that Arlen Specter is going to switch parties. The Democratic Party is a lot more excepting of Moderates than the Republican Party. This is another example of the Republican Party self destructing.

• Will Obama Reboot Capitalism Anew?   10 years 7 weeks ago

Thom,

This is a well-meaning article, but rebooting the system will require much more that mere regulation and redistribution; the system is fatally flawed, and requires comprehensive, fundamental, structural reform. Anything but this will not do the job, and we will be revisiting these repeated crises all over again.

Think about this basic inconsistency of the present system: financially the world is living on drafts upon the future (the credit/debt-money system); economically it is living on the products of the past. Without having to go into mathematical proofs, the empirical evidence shows that the resulting effects of this are:

1. total prices increase at a faster rate than incomes are distributed to pay them;

2. the increasing shortfall is filled with increasing accumulations of debt.

This is the reason why current levels of debt are about (at least) 1.5 times more than the amount of money, and the divergence is growing.

This is obviously an impossible situation; over time it can only get more impossible, until at some point it becomes terminal.

It is a tragic game of cat-and-mouse, except the mouse (income; money) is trying to chase the cat (prices; debt)! The cat keeps getting bigger relative to the mouse, and at some point the cat will turn and swallow the mouse whole.

The root cause of this unsustainable and terminal situation is the credit/debt-money-creation mechanism, what was traditionally called 'fractional reserve banking'; this is the snake in the house, which must be gotten rid of, otherwise it will keep biting, and eventually kill all the inhabitants.

The debt-money machine is a Terminator; it is automatic and set to destroy humanity. We made it, we have to change it.

Regulating a Terminator machine without changing the way it works is obviously not a solution.

There are many so-called monetary reform proposals which suggest doing everything and anything but get the snake out of the house.

The only serious monetary reform solution I am aware of for the USA is the American Monetary Act, developed by the American Monetary Institute, and based on the research of over 3,000 years of history, i.e. based on the facts of human experience. This draft legislation contains the 3 essential elements of meaningful reform that will deliver a lasting solution:

1. It restores the monetary system to society, but does NOT nationalize the banking system (this would be very dangerous; combining the present banking system with the law-making system could risk a totalitarian tyranny).

2. It keeps banks doing banking, but stops banks from being able to create money using 'fractional reserve' methods (this is what always brings us to repeated crises).

3. It introduces additional money into the economy in beneficial and accountable ways (this means what is physically possible and socially desirable can always be made financial possible, without fuss or favor).

I trust you will be able to see the vital importance of making this solution known to as many people as possible.

Thank you.

• April 27th 2009 Monday   10 years 7 weeks ago

THX B Roll- muchas appreciados :)

• April 27th 2009 Monday   10 years 7 weeks ago

Hey Thom, just thought I'd let you know that every bond holder for GM is wealthy like Bush. I'm a 62 year old widow who had $10,000 in GM bonds. Today that bond value is under $1,000. I was advised that corporate bonds were a safer bet than stocks so I've taken a hit with GM and CitiGroup. So much for that advice.

• April 27th 2009 Monday   10 years 7 weeks ago

KMH,

Not sure what's happening with this website, I just posted a message to you about information you asked for on April 16 from a post that disappeared from that day's blog. The post that I made just a few minutes ago didn't appear and I'm sure I had the invisible ink function turned off. I think I may have unintensionally done something naughty.

So here's briefer version of my post:

You asked me where the information about what you referred to as something like the "150 threshold" was posted. I've done a little research on it and it's called the "Dunbar Number". You can Google Dunbar Number and you'll get over 2.6 million hits. The paper on it is called "CO-EVOLUTION OF NEOCORTEX SIZE, GROUP SIZE AND LANGUAGE IN HUMANS"

That's all I'll say about it now. I hope this one posts.

• April 27th 2009 Monday   10 years 7 weeks ago

lol no kidding B roll even just today, finally all my Republican family has been including me in their dialog about how the media has not reported how a Russian built an honor to 911 victims - see it yourself here. These relatives are just now figuring out what the media does not report as they are finally now on line. for ppt, google zurab tesereteii vladimir putin present to the United States 911

So I sent them the link to the Cat Stevens Slide show and some other things including this passage from John Perkins:

In general, "Things are not as they appear. NBC is owned by General Electric, ABC by Disney, CBS by Viacom, and CNN is part of the huge AOL Time Warner conglomerate. Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Most of our newspapers, magazines, and publishing houses are owned- and manipulated - by gigantic international corporations.

Our media is part of the corporatocracy.

The officers and directors who control nearly all our communications outlets know their places; they are taught throughout life that one of their most important jobs is to perpetuate, strengthen, and expand the system they have inherited. They are very efficient at doing so, and when opposed, they can be ruthless. So the burden falls on you to see the truth beneath the veneer and to expose it. Speak it to your family and friends; spread the word.

From page 260 Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. John Perkins.

• April 27th 2009 Monday   10 years 7 weeks ago

I don't know if exempting newspapers from antitrust laws would make any difference. Not that many people trust them anyway.

• April 27th 2009 Monday   10 years 7 weeks ago

Believe it or not, the persons stopping the right to die here in California are true to the homeless community and are concerned the government will use the right to die as a way to kill the homeless.

I can provide the source if you wish however, they do such good work with the homeless, I hesitate to do so. I was just amazed when I learned this.

• Will Obama Reboot Capitalism Anew?   10 years 8 weeks ago

Thom,

I have a good way for you to illustrate your explanation of taxes and wages.

Many people have at one time or another worked in restaurants. And, as you know, servers in restaurants do not get paid a full minimum wage. This is done why?

Because it is assumed that the server will make up for it and then some in tips.

This is the same principle you're applying to wages and taxes. An employer knows what the tax rate is, knows what you're making and what you're willing to work for. If taxes are higher--or, if tipping were suddenly outlawed--the employer knows he'll have to dish out a higher wage. It sort of works the same way and is a good way to explain your concept.

Thank you. You're my #1 talker.

Brady B. Bonk

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

One thing that smells fishy is the fact that the Murrah Bldg. target was in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma -- with Oklahoma's governor at the time being an intelligence community alumni, Frank Keating.

And he really wanted the V.P. spot with Bush II in 2000, right?

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

THOM said let them take their time on the torture thing -- let it get a bit chaotic.

Well, I agree about letting the individual State's attorneys general get in the fracas. That's a good thing.

However, I have a concern I've had since the beginning when I saw on a PBS show (hosted by a rightwinger I assume) who conducted the very first debate I heard on torture, clearly planted by the Bush Crime Family-Lynne&DickCheney et al. It was in the late summer/early autumn of 2004.

Clearly there has been and IS a desire to confuse the public's understanding of an heinous and illegal action -- torture.

If we wait any longer, THOM, and let this illegal torture policy go unprosecuted, how many more "debates" will be conducted to pollute young, impressionable minds? Will torture be the next new WEDGE ISSUE?

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

I never thought I would see the day where a lobby would keep our first black president from attending a UN anit-racism conference. But I give Bush credit for two things, partially for PETFAR and completely for not allowing Israel to bomb Iran. When Bush is the calm person in the room you have to be worried. So now that the new government is even more right wing, I woner if Israel needs Obama's permission to bomb Iran (and subsequently start WWIII)?

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Thom,

You briefly mentioned that torture was used to produce false confessions and create fodder for the terror alerts during the summer and fall of 2004. I haven't heard anyone else in the media discuss this angle.

It seems to me to be ripe for someone to research. Telling someone who doesn't listen to Thom Hartmann that Bush used torture to try to kill Social Security---well---people aren't going to get that. Saying that he tortured to try to find a link between Sadam and Al-quada and to ramp up fear to get re-elected is something most people can understand.

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

I hear Hannity is saying that he'll agree to be water-boarded for charity. Well, I'll believe he's serious about this if he allows the waterboarding to be done by a combination of Code Pink members, Cindy Sheehan, and mothers who live in Bagdad - i.e. he'll have to worry about whether those doing the waterboarding REALLY want him to survive - let's make the experience a bit more realistic for him so he starts to truly understand the issue for prisoners.

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Guess who "Just Said No" to torture

"No exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, may be invoked as a justification of torture."

Convention Against Torture
    Signed by President Reagan, May 1988

Now we may question his sincerity, but the words are right there!

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Witness accounts of bones being found inside Abu Ghraib incinerators.

morale was low to begin with—the M.P.s just wanted to know when they were going home—and there was something about living in cells at Abu Ghraib that never felt right. “We had some kind of incinerator at the end of our building,” Specialist Megan Ambuhl said. “It was this huge circular thing. We just didn’t know what was incinerated in there. It could have been people, for all we knew—bodies.” Sergeant Davis was not in doubt. “It had bones in it,” he said, and he called it the crematorium. “But hey, you’re at war,” he said.

• April 24th 2009 Friday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Thom, the building that Tim McVeigh blew up in Oklahoma City is not the McMurrah Building, it's the Murrah Building, named after Alfred P. Murrah.

• April 23 2009 Thursday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Hi-
    Krill oil also has the red "Astaxanthin" . I take it for relieving pms symptoms and its rich in the omega's. Take it 10 days (women) before your cycle but not during. Make sure you get mercury free stuff.

• April 23 2009 Thursday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Hi Thom,

Whenever I hear anyone talking about the history of US involvement with torture they always seem to leave out one of the major Cold War chapters: Dan Mitrioni and the CIA's "Public Safety" program to teach Latin American governments "advanced counterinsurgency techniques." Journalist A.J. Langguth wrote a book called "Hidden Terrors" that detail Mitrioni teaching Brazilian and Uuguay police how to torture by demonstrating the application of electric shock to homeless people who were then murdered after their usefulness as human lab rats was done. Mitrioni was eventually kidnaped and then later killed by Uruguayan leftists, but he was just one of a cadre of CIA torture instructors that our government sponsored around the world in the 1960s to train friendly despotic governments how to better terrorize their own people and keep them in line.

DB

• April 23 2009 Thursday   10 years 8 weeks ago

I agree with the comment about prosecution of crimes committed especially around the invasion of Iraq, Secret Rendition, illegal wire tapping, etc. However, I just spoke with Thom on the phone on the air on torture, the FBI's responsibility and how does one in this country prosecute the head prosecutors? Yes WE the people need to be active in, suggested by Thom, calling our reps and senetors. But then they go to through the process that leads to the same people. I felt dismissed by this suggestion. I call my Rep. and Senetor. I'm active in my community. I feel frustrated with these broken systems and very little change. I feel frustrated with our media with their quick clip spin. What is the difference really? Accurate information other than real solutions.

• April 23 2009 Thursday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Hurrah! For a sane, thoughtful, reasonable and compassionate discussion on drugs. Many kudos to your guest.

On torture: I think what we need to say to the "24" fans is that torture can never be policy for America. If there's that magical situation, where you have someone you truly know has information that could affect American lives, and you have such a grasp on this particular person's psyche that you know they'll respond to torture; well then, you, as an individual, can take the responsibility to break the law and torture them, knowing the consequences, and hope that the good outcome will result in a Presidential pardon. But it can't, it must NOT, ever be policy.

• April 23 2009 Thursday   10 years 8 weeks ago

Heard CBS News April 23, 2009- lice can stimulate the immune system!

• April 23 2009 Thursday   10 years 8 weeks ago

My memory of Dachau in 1968, as a young American exchange student, was how absolutely normal the setting appeared. I expected a lead in like perhaps Jackson State Prison. Instead, getting off the train/bus from Munich it took a bit to find it. I found myself in a peaceful little village reminiscent of the American mid-west. I immediately understood Hannah Arendt's comment on the banality of evil (Origins of Totalitarianism). We must be far more cautious of this than most would believe. The last 8 years have put us teetering on the edge of the slope. We need to drive home this point with criminal prosecution. While it may not be Nuremburg scale, it is only a matter of degree.

Sign Up For The Thom Hartmann Newsletter Now

• Discover the Videos of the Day
  • Get The Daily Stack - Each & Every Article that Is Researched for the Program
  • Read Thom's Daily Blog

The American Dream is Alive & Well In China

Thom plus logo As we are seeing millions of people in the streets in Hong Kong becoming politically active, we also learned that roughly 70% of Chinese millennials already own their own homes.