Recent comments

• July 2 2009 - Thursday   10 years 34 weeks ago

Quark

Me too! I want to believe, but the facts appear to speak otherwise :(

• July 2 2009 - Thursday   10 years 34 weeks ago

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH -

White House economic advisor Christine Romer on today's worse-than-expected jobs report:

I feel like Fox Mulder: I want to believe.

• July 2 2009 - Thursday   10 years 34 weeks ago

I've been enjoying a new (started this week) talk show on MSNBC --- "Morning Meeting" with Dylan Ratigan. I like the guests and discussions he's had. Here's one from this morning, where he spent some quality time talking about the lack of a jobs policy with this administration:

I'm going to email the show to suggest they have Thom on to talk about the economy.

• July 2 2009 - Thursday   10 years 34 weeks ago

Re: How to invest & win...

Market Predictions from the Foundation for the Study of Cycles

The Foundation for the Study of Cycles was formed during the Great Depression to try to figure out why it happened. It was staffed and funded by leading intellectuals and business men of the day.

Right (they claim to have a very impressive predictive track record) or wrong (the Foundation was convened by Herbert Hoover before his bid for re-election, so he obviously didn't want the Foundation to look at problems his administration caused), the Foundation claims that market cycles could have predicted the Depression, as well as subsequent bull and bear markets.

Richard Mogey - current Research Director at the Foundation - has just publicly announced the following predictions:

Because of a convergence of numerous cycles all at once, the stock market may go up for a little while, but will crash in 2010 and reach all-time lows late 2012. Mogey says that the 2008 crash was nothing compared to the coming crash
    Gold may correct in 2009, but will go up in 2010 and peak in 2011
    Silver may experience a short-term correction like gold, but will go up and top in 2012
    Oil may experience a short-term correction, but will form a major top in 2011
    The dollar will decline until at least 2012, although there might be short-term bear market rallies
    Interest rates on high-grade paper will decline later this year and continue declining until 2012
    Interest rates on low-grade paper could move higher for a while
    Mogey argues that using the Foundation's cycles, investors can also make profitable intermediate-term trades based on shorter-term trends, and recommends using a 2% back stop (with the stop only pegged to the close of daily trading).

The Foundation claims that it has charted the cycles of individual companies' performance for 44 years, and says that it recommends shorter-term trades only on those companies that have the most consistent cycles.

Weiss Research, Inc. just announced that it has purchased the exclusive rights to the Foundation's data on individual companies, ETF performance and other metrics and has formed a joint venture called the "Foundation Alliance" to provide information and investment recommendations.

This could be the ultimate goldmine of investment insight, or a huge scam.

Note: I am not an investment advisor and this should not be taken as investment advice

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

Nora - you don't have to have an IPod to hear the podcasts - you can just listen on your computer easily. Send an email to webmaster@thomhartmann.com and our web person will help you. You can hear all three hours plus Thom's news. We also have a newsletter coming out soon we'll be sending by email - with links to the show topics and more - once you sign in as a member.

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

Possible cause of the bizarre increase in human obesity: Factory Farm animals are given GROWTH HORMONES to make them grow faster so that the animals are ready for market earlier -- for the ourpose of providing more PROFITS for the factory farmers. Americans who eat the animals' flesh are eating those increased levels of GROWTH HORMONES in that meat. How does the obesity problem correlate with the use of these GROWTH HORMONES used in animal husbandry?

QUESTION on THOM’s ARCHIVES–

Is there somewhere to hear past shows? (I don’t have an iPod, so that’s out.)

We only get two hours of the show on the radio now, and sure would like to hear the hour I missed!

Any suggestions? Thanks.

• June 30 2009 - Tuesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

QUESTION on THOM's ARCHIVES--

Is there somewhere to hear past shows? (I don't have an iPod, so that's out.)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

Thom, couple of quick notes to your last caller.

Other objects in space reflect the light of our sun. Other planets, other moons, and the orbiting return-module would all be visible from the surface of the moon.

Stars, however, are NOT visible from space. You won't see them during shuttle missions and you can't see them from the Moon. You need an ATMOSPHERE to diffuse the light of stars to make them visible to the naked eye.

• July 2 2009 - Thursday   10 years 34 weeks ago

This Myron Ebell is one of those people who wants global warming to go away because his mind is distracted by the complicated science of global warming, and tries to make it simple for simpletons. Is global warming “bad”? Well, maybe for people living on the coast, but it is “good” for people living in the frigid interior, which will experience warmer temperatures, but then again “bad” because they will have to leave their air conditioners on longer. The over-all thrust of the anti-global warming crowd is that it is too expensive to combat global warming even if it is bad; we can’t afford not to continue using fossil fuels at the same rate—even if it means running out eventually without a back-up plan. Of course, the eventual result of global warming is an ice age, caused by the stoppage of ocean currents like the Gulf Stream. For people like Ebell, The Answer is technology—that is if you can afford it, or it’s not too late.

Anyways, after decades of trying, the city of Seattle and federal prosecutors finally “nailed” Frank Colacurcio, a 92-year-old strip club operator—indicting him on several charges related to alleged prostitution business. But this should be viewed as part of the “nannytown” effort to “cleanse” the city of nightlife activities that are “offensive” to the “family-friendly” agenda of Mayor Greg Nickels and his constituency. Seattle, you see, has no place to expand, and there are people who still have this odd-ball idea that the city is “progressive” and “fun.” When I moved to Seattle in 1991, even the Space Needle seemed so pedestrian that I couldn’t be bothered with taking a ride up it until my visiting brother made me do it ten years later.

But with no place to expand, and property values high in white North Seattle, where are housing developers to go to make money? The Central District? Too “dangerous.” But what about South Seattle, with its mix of various minority and low-income folk? Once, whites fled from South Seattle before the onslaught of the “those people”; now, they see low (relatively) property prices just waiting to be snatched-up by bargain hunters. Just wave a few dollar bills in their faces, and the locals will sell-out. Thus begins the gentrification process; although developers are required to build—along with expensive single family homes and condos—“affordable” rental units, this latter requirement is only honored in the breech. Affordable to whom? Certainly not for the people displaced, making $8 an hour.

In “progressive” Seattle, “family-friendly” also means moving the “others” out so that the white folks don’t have to be inconvenienced by living amongst them. Progressive? More like narcissistic.

Quark,

I found Franken to be very self-indulgent. Although I didn't like his co-host Katherine Lanpher very much, she tended to keep him focused on the topic being discussed. He also used to get on my nerves with his mawkish comments about the people in the military. It always seemed he was about to cry. I kind of wished he would have stayed on Saturday Night Live.

But to be realistic, I think he'll probably be pretty solidly in the liberal camp, especially on domestic policy. Of course, that's just based on what I heard on his radio show. Hopefully, he learned his lesson about war. The reason he favored the Iraq war in the beginning was that he believed Collin Powell.

I'm waiting to see if he treats the rest of the senators to some of his boring monologues.

B Roll,

I went out of my way to go to Franken's events, talk with him, etc. I really wanted to support him whole heartedly. I gave him some money but didn't work on his campaign.

B Roll,

Besides that, the local Air America station was pushing him really hard.

B Roll,

LOL! I'll pat your back while you pat mine!

I really wish I didn't agree with you on the Franken thing. Better candidates just didn't have the name or the money...

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

At first I thought the quacking was for the foll of a caller that thought th emoon landings were fake. Just read badastronomy.com to be disabused.

Quark,

I like it when you agree with me. I think it we agree fairly often.

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

Any ice there might be on the moon could be key to the future of humanity in space. Although it could supply water for colonists to drink or grow food, more importantly, it could get split up to make hydrogen and oxygen for fuel for rockets.

"It costs about $10,000 to $15,000 per pound to launch something in the space shuttle, and there are about 8 pounds of water to a gallon, so we're talking about $100,000 to bring a gallon of water to low Earth orbit," Colaprete said. "If we can use the lunar poles as a resource, we could use them as staging bases to go elsewhere on the moon, or beyond the moon, or beyond Mars or Europa or elsewhere we'd want to go. You wouldn't have to bring up millions of gallons of fuel, you could produce it on the moon."

So, Thom, your instincts were right about this one.

B Roll,

I'm sorry to say I agree with you, with experience in Dem. politics here in MN to back up my opinions. The reason the election was so close was that Minnesotans weren't thrilled with either candidate. Al Franken has a crush on the Clintons (which, while he didn't use the word "crush", really came across when he told me about his relationship with them.) I will wait and watch to see if he really can be progressive.

Norm Coleman was SO bad, even St. Paul, MN (where he was former mayor) didn't go for him in the election.

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

Re: NASA moon bombing violates space law & may cause conflict with lunar ET/UFO civilizations

BTW, No, I do not believe that there are aliens on the moon.

Thom,

Thank you for bringing us (me) information and opportunities to take action in some way to help make the world a little bit better.

btw, it's interesting to hear about the Disclosure Project again. The last I heard, they were going to make a MAJOR announcement at the National Press Club several years ago about the existence of aliens and UFOs. Their announcement landed with a thud; I never heard any more about it.

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

A solution to our jobs problem and economy would be to tariff all imports across the board. This would mean we would get out of the WTO. GATT and the WTO have been losers for the US manufacturing sector and workers. The tariffs would start low and over time go to 15%, 20%. This would cause you to pay more for imports, thus push workers to start saving more, which is what the Chinese are doing to build a super economy through forced savings rate. Tariffs would minimize the devaluation of the dollar keeping the dollar strong and oil prices down. The government’s job should be to eliminate the deficit by increasing the saving rate of corporate America and the workers. Another possible fix is a value added tax to counter the value added tax rates in Europe and East Asia. They use the value added taxes to put our imports at a disadvantage. The right wing globalist’s lobby has conditioned us to believe any tariffs will lead us to the next depression. So what are we experiencing now with no or little tariffs? They always point to the Smoot Hawley tariffs of the 1930's caused the depression, which is an urban myth. As the great free market capitalist, Milton Freidman, has proven that it did not lead to the depression, but it was, as is now, a misguide monetary management. If the Congress were patriots then they would fix this economy with a tariff policy, and the only excuse not to would be treasonous, but as it is with globalism, the foreign governments, through Corporate CEOs, have more power in Congress than US Citizens.

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

the iraq afganistain veterians of america are asking people to view their new video. they want to get 4,000 people to view by july 4.

My message to Senator Al Franken,

I listened to you for years as and your friends Peter Galbraith and Tom Ricks tried to figure out how "we" could win the illegal Iraq War. I don't trust you as far as I can spit into the wind.

You're definitely better than Norm Coleman, but that's a bar set low.

Overall, I expect you'll be pretty good on more issues than you'll be bad on. You're not progressive enough, you're not intellectually honest enough and dog gone it -- I just don't like you.

Will your good friend G (G. Gordon LIddy) be attending your swearing in? I'm sure you and Frannie would enjoy going out to dinner with G and his wife again.

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

I figured out how to even the playing field in regards to campaign finance. Since we are able to prohibit corporations for contributing to campaigns, lets do the next best thing; TAX them. Then use the proceeds to fund a public candidate. The tax rate, I believe, should be a minimum of 100%! But ideally it should be about 1000%!!

• July 1st 2009 - Wednesday   10 years 34 weeks ago

people need to use wisdom in looking toward others for direction in life. anyone that follows pagano is not using wisdom. people must look into their own lives. why i think and feel the way i do. how can i become a better person. people must have the wisdom to seek out good friends. evil friends and evil preachers will only destroy you.

Come Cruise with Thom Hartmann in July 2020

Join me for an exciting Bermuda getaway aboard Oceania Cruises, the world’s leading culinary and destination-focused cruise line. Set sail on the reimagined Insignia for 7 nights beginning July 25th 2020. Take advantage of Oceania Cruises’ OLife Choice promotion, where you can choose shore excursions, a beverage package, or onboard credit – Oceania Cruises also includes Wifi! You'll also receive complimentary gratuities, a $50 onboard credit and two exclusive cocktail parties. Did I mention we are planning special onboard events with yours truly? Prices start at $1199.

Reserve your stateroom today by contacting Keene Luxury Travel, and mention the Thom Hartmann Group 800.856.1155

or go to https://www.keeneluxurytravel.com/th-bermuda/default.asp

Coronavirus: Many Claim We Can't Afford Medicare-for-all, But, It Appears We Are About To Discover How Costly Our For-Profit Healthcare Is

Thom plus logo The coronavirus is now in the United States, and apparently the infection in California goes beyond just one person, because they can't figure out how that one person got it. Which means lots of people need to get tested, particularly if they have symptoms of a severe cold or flu which could indicate that they have the coronavirus.