WHY I AM ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT AT PATREON?

Your support of the program is invaluable. Producing the Thom Hartmann Program is a labor of love for the team, but doesn't come without cost. We supply the program to non-profit, community and volunteer radio and cable stations across the US. However, this isn't cost-free and being a supporter through Patreon means you can help us to meet some of the bills, to allow us to continue free supply to the non-profit sector.

As a way of saying thank you, we would like to give you something back for your support at various levels. Every weekday, the live Thom Hartmann Program three hour program is recorded exclusively for Patreon supporters. Unedited, the full three-hour video will be right here on the Patreon page, within a couple of hours of the end of the live program. And we're also providing extra videos exclusive to sponsors.
Sponsor Special: How to Stop Your Food From Killing You. The American diet is now killing more people than high blood pressure and smoking

Become a Thom Supporter- Click the Patreon button

Recent comments

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

"Salon"has a great article by Glenn Greenwald about AIG and the Dodd lie.

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 5 weeks ago

Thom,
    Great show, thanks for everything you offer-up. The other day I was listening to your show, I heard either you or your guest mention how Chris Dodd was equally responsible for the bonuses of AIG. According to Glen Greenwald of Salon.com, the information is incorrect. I'm pasting the link straight to the article should you have time to read his side of the story. You've opened up my eyes so much more, thanks again.
    Jesse A.

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 5 weeks ago

Let’s go after the REAL money given to AIG – the $183 billion! I realize that this has already been paid out, and we can’t get it back from the counterparties who knew that Alan Greenspan and George Bush and Hank Paulson were steering the U.S. economy off a real estate cliff, a derivatives cliff and a balance-of-payments cliff all wrapped up into one by betting against collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) and insuring these casino bets with AIG. That money has been siphoned off from the Treasury fair and square, by putting their own proxies in the key government slots, the better to serve them.
    So let’s go after them altogether. Sen. Schumer said to the AIG bonus recipients that the I.R.S. can go after them and get the money back one way or another. And it can indeed go after the $183-billion bailout recipients. All it has to do is re-instate the estate tax and raise the marginal income and wealth-tax rates to the (already reduced) Clinton-era levels.
    The money can be recovered. And that’s just what Mr. Schumer, Mr. Frank and others don’t want to see the public discussing. That’s why they’ve diverted attention onto this trivia. It’s the time-honored way to get people not to talk about the big picture and what’s really important

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

There isn't enough money, gold or oil in the world right now that would encourage me to trade places with President Obama. I keep hearing everyone saying that the President is trying to take on and tackle too much at once. Does he have much choice right now? Everything we are dealing with at this moment is interconnected to one another. You can't discuss the economy without including health care, employment/employees, the cost of two wars, etc.

I live in South Carolina. I love it here, but unfortunately my representatives, Sen. Graham, Sen. DeMint, Rep. Henry Brown and Gov. Mark Sanford are so caught up in the political machine that they are total disregard for the people they are required to represent. I did not vote for any of the above, but I'm still trying to live under their "regime".

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to rant! I try to listen to you daily via web stream on green960.com. You are a breath of fresh air. You prove educated and researched information for everyone, regardless of political affiliation.

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Good morning,
    Just an explanation regarding the report that men get along with men better than women with women: there is research indicating that before menopause women tend to be competitors (for the "big dog"?) and that when estrogen levels drop, or perhaps if they're not ovulating, women increase their affinity for other women. There are also differences depending on whether the other women are related or not....

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Good morning,
    Look forward to your show each day, and listen on my computer, as I don't get the local Air America station very clearly east of Seattle at my home.

Used to listen at the office, but since my hours have been drastically reduced I'm usually at home...but I am very glad to have some hours, as social security barely covers my necessary insurance premiums!!
    Love and appreciate your entertaining continuing education -- so very important for all of us.
    Thanks also for the updated music on the breaks.

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Hi Thom. I am listening to the show right now on line through my Palm Treo 755 on KTLK AM 1150 and I heard you talk about Fake Liberals. I have been battling this in Lenoir County, NC.

Democrats hold most of the Local Offices but they aren Not Progressive. And in some cases aren't even Moderates. They are die hard conservative Dems. I can't stand it. I have notified the NCDP about my concerns and the Interim Lenoir County Democratic Party Chairman about this. It was Ironic to me when I heard you say that on the radio because I have been saying it for a very long time now. We didn't even have a Local Democratic Party Website. So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Thank you Thom for all you do.

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

So how do you define the 55-vote filibuster idea? Five ninths? Eleven twentieths? You can't just set it at a particular number of votes; it has to be a fraction of senators present.

I think the danger here is that the bar can be rasied as easily as it is lowered. Let's say the Republicans get the majority again, and let's say they have 70 votes. They could change the cloture rule to require seven tenths.

But the cloture rule applies even to a debate to change the cloture rule--and in fact requires two thirds when changing the rules of the Senate--so you'll have to get 67 senators to agree to let 55 senators end debate thereafter.

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

I found this song about the wallstreet bailout on youtube and it's spot on
    i think you all will get a kick out of it
    enjoy

• March 16, 2009 On the Show Today   10 years 5 weeks ago

As a native Hoosier, I wonder how we can get rid of Evan Bayh, I'm so sick of him. I know we need a primary candidate next time his term is up, but finding the right person who can actually beat him will be very hard. What advice is there for finding a good, charismatic progressive candidate?

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

On the issue of the dissemination of the truth, I wrote on the Whitehouse.gov 'Contact us' that President Obama owed progressive radio at least publicity. A few days later, wa la and President Obama will be on Ed S Show Thursday, I guess I need to be more specific in letting the Whitehouse know that the President owes the Thom Hartmann show audience an explicit thank you and publicity. All the 'annointed one' [to use a Sean Hannity term] need to do is mention Thom's name and I am sure all progressives will find us!

PS everyday I carry business cards with me that promote progressive radio shows including the actual link and time to tune in in an effort to teach the common wo/man to find us. Just make some up at the local printer and be part of the solution!

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 5 weeks ago

Any individual whose gross income was more than $1,000,000 in any of the past 4 years will be subject to a tax rate of 99% on any compensation from designated companies that have received TARP funding from the US government.
    All other individuals will be subject to a tax rate of 99% on any compensation above $180,000 per year from designated companies that have received TARP funding from the US government. All compensation subject to this tax rate are subject to backup withholding. Problem solved.

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONMENT SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONMENT

As in the movie 11th hour, we need to mimic natures systems of distribution and checks and balances, this is the key to re-booting our economy.

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

On a much more fundamental level, what is the source of human conflicts? Are we, by the force of social necessity, engaged in 'fighting' the better part of our divine or common nature? Were humans always aware that they were healthy, and fecund? Because, we all essentially eat one diet. How are we all coping?

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

In regards to Thom's warnings about false populism...

The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 5 weeks ago

I think it's about time for these laissez-faire capitalists to "Go John Galt" -- http://luxamericana.com/2009/03/17/going-john-galt/

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Oy! My bias is against any drug use. That being said, the drug problem in neighboring Mexico, may stretch deep, into a historically mis-understood region of that honorable country? The rich Mayan culture once dominated in Meso-America until 900 C.E. when (IMO?) dis-honorable Azteks forced their way into power....Aztek leaders, brothers Tlacaelel and Moctezuma1, set up shop, deep in the heart of the inter-continental peninsula! They reportedly institued the hostile policies as book burning, ritual wars, and the wholesale re-writing of histories! Spanish conquest around 1500 A.D. might have severly repressed real Mayan histories, and civil concepts of that noble, culture??

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Kim,

I heard EXACTLY what Thom said and I've heard him say it several times before. As you stated, Thom said that young black men who sell drugs do it because they don’t have a legal outlet for their entrepreneurial spirit.

I’m saying that’s BS. I’m saying that a number of young black men end up involved in a number of illegal activities because they don’t have employment opportunities, not because they don’t have entrepreneurial opportunities. Selling drugs is one of the illegal activities, but there are others such as robbery, burglary, pimping, selling bootleg and/or stolen merchandise and identity theft. It’s sad but it’s a fact in our society.

It’s not because they’re naturally inclined to do so, it’s because a confluence of societal and economic factors keep many of them out of legal employment and the mainstream economy. Our society has failed them.

But they’re only a portion of the black community. Many blacks who are employed feel the entrepreneurial impulse, and they do what people of other communities do. They start small businesses on the side. They use their own financial resources if they have any, or get help from their families. Sometimes their side businesses are intended to supplement their income from their jobs. Sometimes they hope to grow their side businesses into full time businesses.

Like I said in my original post on this topic, there’s also a large underground economy in the black community. Some of it is merely unlicensed and unreported, and some of it is blatantly illegal. People do what they have to do to survive.

What I objected to was Thom saying what I’ve heard him say several times before, and just using it as a throwaway line. He says it with authority, but to me, it indicates that he’s accepted a romanticized view of the illegal drug industry. The reality is that these young men aren’t entrepreneurs; they’re more like employees of the gangs that control the drug business. The work is dangerous and doesn’t pay as well as most people imagine. They’re more likely to get robbed, shot and/or arrested than they are to retire to a comfortable life in the islands. Many only do it occasionally because of the danger and the fact that they don't want to live a life of crime.

When Thom made that comment, he didn’t think he was saying anything wrong or offensive. He thought he was sharing one of his insights. But I’ve been listening to Thom since he took over for Al Franken. I’ve hardly missed a show. I haven’t heard anything to indicate that he knows much about life in black or other minority communities and I haven’t seen much indication that he’s very interested in it.

From my perspective, today Thom used black people for a throw away line that he’s used before on his show. I think what he said was wrong and ridiculous and I called him on it.

• March 16, 2009 On the Show Today   10 years 5 weeks ago

BANKING SCAMS -- THE BUSH FAMILY CALLING CARD!

We shouldn't be surprised that the BIG SCAMS of the Bush I and II presidencies are banking scams.

Iran-Contra had a major banking scam element to it, what with all its money laundering and secret bank accounts. (I consider the Reagan administration under some major control of V.P. George H.W. Bush (probably from the beginning with the October Surprise, but most undeniably after Reagan was incapacitated by Alzheimers and seemingly absolved from responsibility for Iran-Contra (not to say Reagan didn't okay stuff; he just didn't really 'get' what he was okaying!)) Then there was the Savings and Loan rip-off and the seeds of it (the unregulated insurance derivatives of today are a hang-over of the device created to fix the Savings and Loan damage) which reach to today's Economic Meltdown caused by AIG derivative scamming. The BCCI banking scandal is another.

The Bush family has its history in banking and investments and government interface with wartime armaments primarily until Prescott Bush (Dubya's grandfather), as Senator, opened the door to a Dynasty of government careers for his progeny.

Herbert Walker (the source of the Walker in George H.W. Bush and George Walker Bush), was the Anglophile wheeler-dealer/networker for the likes of the intercontinental railroad builders and then moved on and up to do behind the scenes dealmaking for the likes of J.P. Morgan & Company. Herbert Walker arranged interlocking deals like the one between the Guaranty Trust and J.P. Morgan, and between J.P. Morgan and W.A. Harriman & Co. (of which Walker was president) and the bank Morton & Co. These INTERLOCKING connections were Walker's speciality. By the 1920s Walker set up international offices like the headquarters in Berlin of W.A.Harriman & Co. which worked with Warburg Bank to invest in German industry and the Soviets. These connections were conveniently in place by the time his son-in-law Prescott Bush was a managing partner in a subsequent merger, Brown Brothers Harriman which became "ULTIMATELY THE LARGEST AND POLITICALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT PRIVATE BANKING HOUSE IN AMERICA". This was the base (along with his directorship at Union Banking Corporation) from which Prescott Bush worked to finance the Nazi war machine. This was how Prescott Bush made the investment-banking fortune to build two Bush presidencies.

Now, with this in mind, should we be surprised that the scams of the Bush Dynasty Era are BANKING SCAMS?

(P.S. In another nasty bit of money-talks power, J.P. Morgan banksters forced/extorted the German government to cave to Hitler, so we need to keep THAT in mind, too.)

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Chris from St Paul -- First, a flat tax isn't a fair tax, and calling it that is pure spin.
    Second, here is the reason it isn't really fair:
    When you make only enough money to live on (or less), you spend all of your income on necessities. When you make somewhat more than subsistence amount, you spend most of it on necessities, and most of the rest on semi-necessities (maintenance, advancement strategies like college, etc.) When your income really exceeds what you NEED for food, shelter, transportation, and clothing and even semi-necessitites, Then you start buying luxuries, investments, upgrades, and frivolities.
    If you are spending 100% of your income on necessities, you really can't afford to pay a big percentage in taxes. When the first fraction of your income goes to necessities and the rest is free for luxuries, you can afford to pay a much larger percentage in taxes. People who have more, also tend to use The Commons more (roads, police, courts, legal protections, etc.), and therefore cost the country more --so they owe more.
    I hope this helps.

As to socialized countries, most of modern Europe is semi-socialized. They also score higher than we do on almost all quality-of-life tests that anyone does. Now, they also have more social mobility than we do -- meaning the ability for a poor person to become a rich person. That used to be one of the things we were proudest of about America -- and we have lost it.

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

B Roll-- I think you didn't hear ALL of what Thom said -- because he did say that they used their entrepreneurial spirit in illegal businesses BECAUSE they couldn't get into legitimate businesses.

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 5 weeks ago

My solution to get AIG to change their mind about paying out any retention bonuses is to have President Obama threaten to change their name to PIG which he should be able to do if the government owns 80% of the company, right? Maybe the muckety mucks would think twice about having everyone refer to their company by that name.

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Thom,

If you think you heard a distant voice shout "OH THOM" a few minutes ago, that was me when you repeated your ridiculous "insight" that young black men sell drugs because they have some entrepreneurial instinct.

That's not only ridiculous, it's uninformed and probably benignly racist. Would you say the same for poor women around the world, including in the black community who turn to prostitution? Do they go into prostitution to fulfill their entrepreneurial instinct.

You should read "Gang Leader for a Day" by Sudhir Venkatesh or have him on your show as a guest.

You probably think you're praising the "entrepreneurial spirit" of blacks with that comment. I think you're exposing your ignorance (at best).

There's a huge underground economy that goes on in communities that are denied access to the mainstream economy. That underground includes the school janitor who does plumbing and other handyman work when he's off work. It's the guy who does auto repairs in his front yard. It includes women who do "hair" in their kitchens or childcare in their homes. These are normal work that are done without business licenses.

But it also includes "illegal" business like prostitution and drug sales, which usually is the last resort for people who for any number of reasons can't get into the above ground economy. It also includes people who sell stolen property, like clothes, for less than they would cost to buy in the stores.

There's a sliver of truth in your statement that people who sell drugs have an entrepreneurial spirit. The same could be said for some of the people who get involved in prostitution. But the majority of people who get involved in those activity is survival, plain and simple, and they'd do something else if they had the opportunity. (The reasons they don't have the opportunity is a complex topic, in and of itself, with many layers of complexity and feedback loops between these layer that make the problem even more complex.)

I think your claim that entrepreneurship is the motivation behind drug dealing is a case of you projecting your beliefs on others you don't really know much about.

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

As to changing the marginal tax rate: in order to raise the marginal tax rate to 90% for anyone whose income is above $3million (or whatever...), make any congressperson whose income is above that recuse themselves from the vote....

• March 17th 2009 On the Program   10 years 5 weeks ago

Sign Up For The Thom Hartmann Newsletter Now

• Discover the Videos of the Day
  • Get The Daily Stack - Each & Every Article that Is Researched for the Program
  • Read Thom's Daily Blog

So you want to start a progressive podcast? These 10 tips will help you be successful

Thom plus logo
Here are a few tips to the up-and-coming crop of progressive podcasters from somebody who's been doing it for around 15 years.