Recent comments

• Chat   10 years 1 week ago

Have you read The Political Mind, by George Lakoff? I just started it, but he addresses exactly what Thom is talking about: why people don't act politically in line with "reason."

• Chat   10 years 1 week ago

Thom, I'm pro-single payer system all the way. Even though I hear much talk about preventive care and health maintenance, I think they should go a step further and give people an incentive to change their behaviour...and in so doing, help finance the system as well. I'm suggesting that foods that contribute greatly to sending people into the health care system early because of obesity-related disease should be taxed in the same way cigarettes and alcohol products are. I know it would be a dogfight with lobbyists from the various food industries but smart minds focused on the endgame should be able to come up with something.

Also, kudos for you on fixing that gold commercial. I was telling a co-worker the other day that it drove me crazy how you had the inflection in the wrong place and then noticed just a few minutes ago that you finally fixed it. Now I can sleep at night. Thx!

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 1 week ago

Wow. I'm sure glad my local progressive station, KKGN, here is the San Francisco Bay Area, still has Thom in the mornings. I don't know what I'd do without him! (get more reading done?)

• The Thom Hartmann Radio Program   10 years 1 week ago

[...] the top ten of Talker’s Magazine’s “Heavy Hundred” talk show hosts) has abandoned Air America as well. One time CEO Mark Green is pulling out as well, to get back into NYC politics. [...]

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 1 week ago

Unfortunately, Air America at least in New York has struggled for an identity. They seem to get great hosts and one way or another lose them. I've listened to believe it or not Jerry Springer, Randi Rhodes, Mike Malloy , Al Franken and now Thom Hartmann. All great and all gone from the Station. I wish they would get their act together. Progressive radio is needed to bring us out of the Nightmare of the last eight years.

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 1 week ago

First they took my Air America station away (in Eugene Oregon of all places).And now, I cant find Thom on the web at Air America. My quality of life has been impacted negatively. So, today I signed up to Thomcasts.

I don't know what they are yet, or how to use them..and I get that our economy is changing in all kinds of ways, so we need to pay for things which were once free. Now hopefully, I wont be cut off from regular doses of sanity Hartmann-style. And the people I work around are gonna enjoy the lack of advertisements too.

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 1 week ago

Is anyone else tired of hearing Carrie Lukas? Sorry but I don't think she brings much to Thom's great show. I believe it is time to phase her out and get someone new to banter with. Have you tried to get Carly Fiorina? I think it would be an interested conversation.

• Chat   10 years 1 week ago

Hi Thom,
    Will you please explain what is meant when people refer to the "single payer" system of universal health care? What specifically would be the government's role, how would we individuals pay for coverage, or would we not have to pay anything at all (other than a tax increase), how would we choose doctors, coverage etc. I hear a lot of talk about universal healthcare but I don't here people explain more specifically how they would want it to work. What is the Obama administration proposing and how does it compare to single payer?

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 1 week ago

Thanks Rob Kall, and Thom for the explanation. I was concerned (but not surprised) that Thom left Air America, but wish everyone involved well.

I'm excited about the new website, and hope that more people get involved in the Thom Community!

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 2 weeks ago

Sorry meant to specify I was researching the 1963 US Bank Notes...

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 2 weeks ago

Thom,

Something I discovered today researching this:

I hate to say it but I think maybe we’ve been wrong about the US notes.

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 2 weeks ago

I'm in the Phoenix area and there's nothing coming through on 1190 AM. Their website is down also. Just wondering what the heck is going on. First Randi Rhodes went away - and now NovaM 1190 is gone! No more intelligent, rational talk shows in Phoenix - yikes!

• OPEDNEWS.COM Thom Hartmann Leaves Air America   10 years 2 weeks ago

I was startled... I'm down in San Diego with no progressive radio at all any more and was furious with Air America when there was no Thom and no explanation... but I know how to google and found Thom in Portland... easy to listen to him from there too... just like it was with Air America. Turning out the Portland station is more interesting than Air America.

Contrats Thom on the move.

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Thom has talked in the past about meims (not certain of the spelling) taking control of the debate.
    It seems to me the best way to control of the health care debate is by stating it's true nature,
    a legitimized version of the muggers declaration "your money or your life"

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Framing the Debate:
    State-Run Healthcare vs. Private-for-Profit Healthcare

In the current Private-for-Profit healthcare system, it is a proven fact that insurance companies try as hard as they can to DENY claims made by their customers. This is the problem in a nutshell of a healthcare system based on Private-for-Profit companies.

In a State-Run healthcare system, ALL claims will be honored and each case will be reviewed by healthcare professionals and treated appropriately.

Much like the old days when Fire Fighting companies used to compete for customers, modern Health Insurance companies fight for customers. The biggest problem with this method, as we collectively realized and corrected with the Fire Fighting "industry", only those that can pay for care get it.

Fire fighting companies used to only help those houses with their mark on the outside that indicated the occupants were customers of theirs. They would let the homes nearby that carried the mark of a competing company simply burn. We as a society changed this by making the fire fighting forces a branch of government supported by taxpayers.

Today insurance companies fight to deny claims made by their paying customers to save money. This makes as much sense as a for-profit fire fighting company leaving a house to burn because they are not paying customers of theirs.

This is the shortest, most effective argument I can make to "nationalize" healthcare for all US citizens. If I pay my health insurance premium year after year, and one day I need their services - yet they deny my claim for whatever reason - I would be livid... and broke. This is not the way we should live in America.

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Hi Thom,
    I'm a new listener and I must say I'm very impressed with your insights and intelligence. I look forward listening to your show everyday on my way home from work. Somedays I get home too fast and just sit in my driveway. I love your show!

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Thom,

Thank you for all your good and hard work.

You have already taught me this but for edification...

Ex President George W. Bush may have left office with an historically bad 22% approval rating. This was exonerated by the fact that when Obama was inaugurated Bush was the ONLY president that was booed by the people present (just type in Bush Booed on youtube and you will find a plethora of video confirming this) and although the media at the time was not ready to clarify that incident (for fear it might have spoiled Barack's inauguration) you could see how distressed Bush's face was when it happened. After all of his misdeeds both evident or not he's still eager to impart his wisdom. He will soon embark on his first speaking tour—and he will be getting paid $150,000 a pop. He will hit the lecture circuit next month with stopovers in Canada, the U.S. and other spots around the globe.

Maybe we can then ask him questions not yet answered by this thief.

In not one "exit interview" Bush has given recently did any "journalist" ask him: Why did you appoint people to key government agencies and departments who do not believe in the missions of those agencies and departments?

No "reporter" in any exit interview asked Bush: Why did you allow your 2004 campaign to Swift Boat and smear John Kerry's sterling military service record?

Not one of them asked: Why did you say "bring 'em on" when the Iraqi insurgency began? Didn't you understand that more American service personnel might die because of such a taunt?

Not one interviewer asked: Why did you have to cling to Dick Cheney by your side and not allow transcripts or recordings of your testimony before the milquetoast 9-11 Commission? Why all the secrecy? Why the subterfuge and lies and misinformation about 9-11 if everything was on the up-and-up?

No interviewer asked: Why did you allow Jeff Gannon to pose as a White House correspondent? And produce fake video news releases? And paid Armstrong Williams to shill for you? Why did you send "message force multipliers" out on the public airwaves to sell the Iraq war?

No one asked: Why didn't you go to the FISA court, a secret court that almost never denies presidential requests for warrants, to obtain authorization for your NSA surveillance program? In 2004 was Karl Rove using the NSA to spy on the Kerry campaign?

The public will not get the repudiation of Bush it longs for. No. Elections are not nearly satisfying enough. We need some prosecutions. Some people need to go to jail. Whenever I see Ari Fleischer, Karl Rove, Torie Clark, or Karen Hughes on TV it feels like a dagger piercing through my heart tearing at the essence of what it means to live in a democracy where the rule of law means something.

I guess being Bush (or one of his cronies) means never having to say you're sorry.

He should pay us all reparations for the misery he put us through these past eight years.

It has been nice these past weeks hearing our sitting President finally make some sense, Can we not keep Bush locked up in his home so he doesn't embarrass us any more? Or at least we could all take turns standing guard, shoe in hand ready to toss just in case he rears his anti-constitutional head!!

We must investigate the Bush crime family!

Arlan Boll

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

What a tremendous dissappointment that I can't get Thom on iTunes or access archives without paying. Going a little corporate huh?

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Thom,
    When will be broadcasting in NY City???? I can't get you in my car when I am trying around for errands???? Please come back???

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

According to the Financial Times of 3/4, the elimination of executive compensation restrictions on companies using the new TALF plan is expected to increase its use. Some issuers "were not going to participate because of the executive compensation restrictions." I am incredulous that the Obama administration is once again caving in to the people that are in large part responsible for this global economic mess. I suspect the Bush Administration's cooperative stance with the Obama staff pre-transition had the effect of mentally warping our present power structure.

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Thom, here is that Northern Georgia Terrorist Training Camp Johnathan was referring to. It's Fort Benning, Georgia and apparently we have been training some of the worst Latin American terrorists there. It's also known as the "School Of the Americas" Check it out! http://www.zpub.com/notes/terror-camp.html

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

good morning from camp luna linda --

looks like i'm LOGGED IN --

i haven't found the old dynamic of the old chat YET --

hummm --
    so many options --

GREAT CHANGE UP -- mm

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Rush high? Naaaaah.....

Although he was paying unusual attention to his nose on Saturday.....hmmm

• Chat   10 years 2 weeks ago

Hi Thom, you see me as Mr. Bill in the chat room. Great new website. Stephanie Miller's is set up the same way, billiant!

Mr. Bill

Time To Expel Rep Steve King From the House?

Thom plus logo Congressman Steve King, in a new Internet meme, says that red state America has 8 trillion bullets and blue state America is still debating who can use which bathroom.