Recent comments

• The Real Boston Tea Party was Against the Wal-Mart of the 1770s   10 years 13 weeks ago

While Fox most certainly went out of it way to promote this 'Tea Party" mentality, what they ultimately did accomplish was allow the most racist, loudest, and ignorant of our society to collect in one place to spread their vitriol of hate and nastiness. http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200904150038?show=1
    Fox did not even have the courtesy to explain the facts to their viewers, just allowed an unmitigated time to rant and chant. Most of which was not even about taxes but about things that most of the hundreds of dozens of people that showed up have no idea about what to say!
    By trying to mainstream the fringe among us is dangerous and Fox, in my opinion is as guilty of any violence that stems from this outrage as much as the person that may commit it.

• April 16th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

To the powers that be (but don't roll like I do).

I posted a long refutation of your theory that humans can only work and live cooperatively in groups of 150 people or less. I posted it around 40 minutes before your show began. That post appeared on this page but didn't show up in the tally of the number of posts. Now it doesn't appear at all.

There seems to be a bug in this page. Yesterday a woman complained that her message posted before she was finished. If this post works, I'll post my original message again.

Thom,
    You have hit the bullseye of what should be an alternative frame to the Tea-Baggers. Even though they are a clear minority and looked more than goofey at times, they are out there capturing the rage that many feel, astroturf or not. I think the democrats and progressives missed an opportunity to co-opt the right-wing anti-tax message. 95% of America taxpayers received a tax cut on April 15. We should be have been shouting that from the rooftops that and re-framing these protests in the fashion you suggest.

Though progressives really showed little evidence of counter-protest, I believe our movement needs to speak to working people more effectively and be better, more authentic channels for this anger, which will only grow as the world economy worstens (and it will terribly - sad to say.)

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

RE Lindsay's comments above: Lindsay-- Watch Alex Jones' "Obama Deception" before you think there is time to just let some of the new president's decisions go unchallenged. Some of the folks surrounding Obama are the creators of alot of rotten stuff (like Kissinger and Bzrezinski) and as corrupt and megalomaniacal as folks like Tom Delay and Karl Rove (like Rahm Emanuel and Bernanke).

Plus, we know perfectly well what works to get a nation out of a collapsed bubble economy that becomes a depression -- it was done in the 1930s by FDR. But Obama acts like all we have to do is tweek the existing deregulation/anti-worker/tax-freeElite program instituted by Reagan/BushOne/Clinton/BushTwo and cutback what he refers to as "entitlements" (Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid) of the general population. If we just sit back and say "give Obama some slack, he's new" -- how much more damage will be done? We must not be push-overs to the Corporate Elite and the rich just because Obama is such a pleasant guy and super rhetor.

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

This is so distressing -- Farmers are committing suicide in large numbers...

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Well, I survived the Tea Party!
    Yes, my sister and I attended the tea party with our own signs! Some wondered why we were there but were told to all views were ok. Most people were polite. There was one other person with 'Bring the Troops Home now' and 'Get rid of the Federal Reserve' that was on our 'side' that we knew of.
    We spoke to a few, shared some views. They didn't accept that our media is corporate propaganda and biased - all news is 'lefty' biased except Fox,

Our signs: Stop Corporate Loopholes, The only thing trickling down is poo, 65% of businesses pay no taxes, Obama is spending on USA! Socialism = police, courts, FD, etc.,
    Stop Hate .

The signs we saw: Of the elite, by the elite, for the elite, you're FIRED!
    Enough is Enough
    Say no to socialism
    As government expands liberty contracts
    I am not your ATM
    Irresponsible, Reckless, Spending
    We are passing this debt onto our kids! Why?
    Don't tax me, Bro!
    Get rid of ACORN corruption!
    My dollars are transparent, all that's left is change!
    We want liberty not debt
    B O Spending O Shit
    Don't tread on me.
    Honk if I pay your mortgage!
    T'd off Enough Already. No more taxes
    (circle crossed) Obamanomics, (check mark) Reaganonmics
    8500 Earmarks
    Next time read the bill
    Repeal the pork or your bacon is cooked
    Don't bail out the boat, fix the leak!
    I am only 16 and $3600 in debt!
    Lay off taxes/ Save jobs
    Hard working taxpaying Americans - the silent majority no more!
    Stop the change!
    Keep Government out of business
    Obama - read the Constitution
    American Dream RIP Taxed to Death
    Freemarket not freeloaders
    $11 trillion and counting
    Say YES to Capitalism
    (other anti Socialist messages)
    We were told by various people:
    40% of Americans pay no taxes!
    $60,000 a year and no taxes for a family!
    Social programs are for immigrants
    Obama has gone back on all his promises!
    Obama has done nothing about the immigrant problem
    Pork as neighborhood projects is a lie
    They do blame Congress for some of this mess!
    Obama lied about providing bill to be read.
    Obama lied about pork added to bill.

There were a lot of people there for a work day --- men, women and children. This was in a Republican neighborhood and many 'high end' cars were driving by. Someone was passing out flags - maybe to get a count. Didn't count the people but there was probably close to 100 or more. It was from 11:30 to 1:30.

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Elizabeth Warren is on the congressional bank oversight panel. She was on Morning Joe today and said she wants more transparency, the way Sweden examined its foundering bank system. Otherwise, she says we are going the same way as the Japanese and their "lost decade" (actually 14 years!) Here's the video:

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Well, I survived the Tea Party!
    Yes, my sister and I attended the tea party with our own signs! Some wondered why we were there but were told to all views were ok. Most people were polite. There was one other person with 'Bring the Troops Home now' and 'Get rid of the Federal Reserve' that was on our 'side'.

The sings we saw: Of the elite, by the elite, for the elite, you're FIRED!
    Enough is Enough
    Say no to socialism
    As government expands liberty contracts
    I am not your ATM
    Irresponsible, Reckless, Spending
    We ar passing this debt onto our kids! Why?
    Don't tax me, Bro!
    Get rid of ACORN corruption!
    My dollars are transparent, all that's left is change!
    We want liberty no debt
    B O Spending O Shit
    Don't tread on me.
    Honk if I pay your mortgage!
    T'd off Enough Already. No more taxes
    (circle crossed) Obamanomics, (check mark) Reaganonmics
    8500 Earmarks
    Next time read the bill
    Repeal the pork or your bacon is cooked
    Don't bail out the boat, fix the leak!
    I am only 16 and $3600 in debt!
    Lay off taxes/ Save jobs
    Hard working taxpaying Americans - the silent majority no more!
    Stop the change!

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Somehow my note above came to "the end" as my note posted unedited. You should have a way to at least allow us to read and decide if we want our notes to go. Don't just snatch and post. I'm wanted to take out parts of my note above here and reword it. Now it has to sit. The dangling "W" is for whatever, I do not know. It startled me when I was taken to the box here! Shoot.

I just NEED (as do most people with any sensitivity right now) to feel I can trust my president to be doing his very best. I will write to him as often as I can. But just go a bit easier on him. He's got so many advisors with as many ideas. And for anyone who thinks Obama is so bad, why not go try to do his job for at least a week? Hmmmm? THIS IS A GREAT MAN, and given half a chance he just may surprise you. I know you believe a lot in him, but you have more and more doubt creeping in weekly/daily! You have NO idea how this affects people like me. I'm a Depression "baby"!!! I had a Victory Garden. I remember Roosevelt. I remember all that followed.

I am beginning to wonder if a lot of people want Bush back in office! There's a thought. Beginning to sound like MANY would appreciate having McCain in office. How about that? I'll leave radio and parts of cable news OFF if I hear personal opinions without explanations that it is just that, an opinion, not a fact. When people talk over each other we don't always here what is meant. But today was a huge disappointment to me, and I won't listen to this. I'll go back to my Wayne Dyer's methods of "what you think you are" or "what you say/fear you WILL have." Positive thoughts WILL win just as negative ones. Why not put forth the positive in such times as these (and keep it up when we heal up)?

Thanks Thom. I do enjoy your show, just be careful with the "Alex" type people and be sure to help us know your opinions are not truths or facts. Okay? :o)

Lindsay

P.S. I got to run spell check and edit this part. Not responsible for how the first part of my note turned out. PLEASE add the ability to read and correct our entries before it is whisked away like mine just was. Thanks.

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Not yet a knowledgeable blogger but here goes. I tried (!!) to listen to Alex and I suddenly became very emotional and down. I'm not (yet) at a place when I can or even want to critique Obama's every move or what people "think" he is doing! I hate negativity on these lines. Can we please give this young man a chance to even try to prove himself first? Calling things lies, lies, lies......ad infinitum adnauseum is a bit much! (That's for whomever Alex is.)

Thom right now at this point in history with all that's going on and with this new president could we focus more on the good he is doing (and trying to do)? Please! I have stopped listening to some (i.e., on cable) because suddenly Obama is so "bad" with all he's done as if he's responsible for all things bad economically since Reagan took office. He's only been in office less than 100 days for goodness sake! Maybe he has to work from a different angle than he ever dreamed. We don't know. He can't spell it all out yet so maybe we have to wait and watch. If he's doing SO poorly, write to him or call him yourself and advise. He PROMISED to listen if we would only send him a note. Why make us unsure of him when we need to believe and hope? I was thrilled when he was elected, and I've stayed there except day by day many of you are chipping on him to the point that I'm even turning off the radio which ran round the clock, especially at night. I HAD to "kill" Alex and you today as I was getting in such a funk I couldn't bear it. I also could not believe it. Why not just have a visit with Rush Limbaugh? Alex reminds me of him. I know he's conservative so why mix your listeners up right now. Perhaps soften your views on what you fear and keep the hope flowing at least for a time. Would that be possible? If not, I'll be turning off the ever-running radio and watch my science shows again!

Underneath all that's going on with our new president are SO many things to juggle, so many people conversing with him telling him what to do or not, and on and on he's still sorting and sifting would be my best guess.

Just give this Obama family (this includes Michelle who is even taking heat for not using pesticides in her garden) a bit of time. I doubt criticism hits Obama too hard, but what about his wife (she can take it). What about his little girls? Can they take it if they accidentally hear all this carping about their daddy? They WILL hear it. Speak truth. Walk softly around your "ideas" and feelings and GUESSES as to what Obama is doing. W

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Wow! Thom AND Alex Jones. GREAT!

But I missed the first two thirds of the segment. Can it be heard online someplace after the show?

Thanks for what I DID hear!

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Listening to Alex Jone is like watching a twister and WONDERING where it will touch down next. To spout off, without facts or evidence that will 'standup' in a court of law, can ownly fuel or fan the flames. What we need is adult talk to motivate true 'change', not form a linch mod that gets us NO-WHERE fast. Like tea bags, good for making a cup of tea, but dosen't work for making Gov't change- We need to 'Grow-up' and stop entertaining WRACK jobs.

Point taken Andrew Jackson,

"I would love to pay more taxes,"

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Phenomenal simulcast! I actually really love the Alex Jones cds I own though I do not listen to his radio show and we have assurances here in Sacramento the Fort Mc Clellan he says has an internment camp is not so. However, I think Alex Jones is polite and is intellectually honest, and when given a format does present cogent reasoning for why and how he encapsulates his message.

I am ecstatic at the thought that Alex Jones listeners would coalesce with Hartmann listeners. I screened Iraq for sale at our little organic food coop and a few car loads of Alex Jones listeners drove about 20-30 miles to come join us and said that Alex had given out the Brave New Films link on air and said they should come join us to watch the screenings all across the nation. His listeners were very responsible and intelligent people and we enjoyed having them.

PS B Roll- rock out - great poem Trump just filed for his 3rd bankruptcy that ba#$%d.

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

The financial world is crumbling
    On our heads with a thump
    Where can we find inspiration?
    Just look to Donald Trump

We call ourselves progressives
    But unsure where to look
    Where can we find inspiration?
    Donald Trump has a book!

He's such a font of wisdom
    With style and such aplomb
    If we can call him “The Donald”
    Can we call you “The Thom”?

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Go to Google and do a keyword search for "Obama tax rate 95%" (or similar)...

You'll find (with the exception of the link to the barackobama.com) pages and pages of conservative sites and articles attacking the tax policies of the President. I'm assuming that the teabaggers (I can't believe we're actually saying that, btw) are making these links rise to the surface through their "research" inspired by Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh, etc.

• Debt is Not Money – and Must Be Regulated   10 years 13 weeks ago

Thank you Thom. Of course, the real culprit is the broader culture of conservatism - the so called "rugged individualism" ie - the "every man for himself' social philosophy" which dominates so much of America today. If you put people who think this way in charge of the laws, they will make laws to make themselves rich. Simply put, these men crashed the system, hoarding their ill gotten gains along the way, oblivious to the immeasurable cost in human lives and suffering. With their control of the media, they manipulate a gullible and selfish minded American public - people who are willing to adopt any interpretation, no matter how dishonest, so long as if fits their pocketbooks. They view any attempt to regulate the fee market, even the levying of taxes, as a threat to their "freedom," and they scream "socialism!," as if it were a dirty word. Any attempt to provide protections agains the dynamics which gave rise to the era of the 'robber barons' they deem an undue imposition. Necessary to assuage their conciences, Republicans today espouse their faith in the 'infinite opportunity' available in America. "Anyone can be rich if they would only work hard enough" they say. How pathetic. With 'competition' there must be winners and losers. 'Losing' in America today means going without adequate health care, and even possibly adequate food and housing. Someone will ALWAYS stand at the cash register, pick crops, pump gas. In more civilized nations, like Canada, France, and Norway to name just a few, working citizens have their basic needs met. Though no-one wants to fess up to the truth, it needs to be said: "Shame on us this every-man-for-himself-wild-west-republican styled community of America." Of course, conservatives decry the so called "moral crisis' to additionally assuage their conciences. It is transparent, however, that the reason they make a fuss about sexual norms and the abortion issue is that these don't cost them anything to address. What a different place America would be if conservatives would adopt a consistently Christian agenda, and not just the agenda that doesn't cost them any money.

• April 15th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

The phrases that we need to "tax the wealthy" and "income redistribution" are bothersome in that they imply 'take (steal) from the rich and give to the poor'. But, this can be reframed within the context "pay the middle class more so they can share more in the tax burden". It should never be forgotten that the recent wealth of the 'wealthy' was at the expense of 'their' economic policies to keep middle class incomes down, that is, a sophisticated 'take (steal) from the poor, to give to the rich'. I would love to pay more taxes, to assume more economic responsibility of our social obligations. Pay me more and I will. The Republicans should take a hard look at the desirability of a wealthier middle class to offset the tax burden on the wealthy and to initiate economic polices to support this.

• Debt is Not Money – and Must Be Regulated   10 years 13 weeks ago

Hey Thom, great stuff as always!

On a side note, I read today that Limbaugh's "success" is due to giving his show away in smaller markets - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-mann/limbaughs-dirty-little-se_b_1859... - I have to admit, it's a brilliant move, and one that the left needs to adopt quicker than it finishes ridiculing it. We all like a good validating news story that confirms our belief that Limbaugh is a hack, but I think we prefer a well-educated populace!

• April 14th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

It looks like this "tea party" nonsense is bringing back some of the hardcore rightwing crazies like the Michigan Militia.

• April 14th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Thom's characterization of the radicals of Christianity and Judaism being a tiny minority is dead wrong. Murderous Christians have committed genocidal acts in the very recent past in Croatia, West Africa, and Northern Ireland. And widesprerad violent acts by Jews against Muslims, especially in Israeli occupied areas in the middle east is a public embarassment to Jews everywhere. And Muslims trying to characterize Islam as a peace loving religion that doesn't force membership at swordpoint is a joke, especially in countries permitting the Sharia law.

The terrorism of killing of innocent people -- for any reason -- is inherently immoral, in or out of the context of religion. While attacking military targets might be perceived as some distorted semblance of retaliation, the killing of innocent civilians, especially women and children, on the planes, and in the buildings, discos, restaurants, resorts, and embassies throughout the world, can never be justified.

This is the difference: When Christian radicals go overboard, like the ethnic cleansing by Milosovich in southern Yugoslavia, we don't give them sanctuary or safe haven. In Christendom, such men become pariahs, war-criminals, or worse.

Compare that to what has happened to Osama bin Laden and other terrorists throughout the Islamic world. Osama is being protected and supported -- even sponsored -- by a number of Islamic governments and individuals. If such a great number of Moslems don't support what he did, why are they hiding him?

Many websites supportive of Islam claim that terrorism is "abominable, abhorrent and permeates society and it is against the fundamental teachings of Islam" and rhetorically ask "Could a faith that has 1.3 billion followers the world over and over 7 millions in America actually advocate the killing and maiming of innocent people?" So my question is this: Why does Islam depend on the USA to keep the likes of Momar Khadafi, Saddam Husein, the Ayatollah in Iran, and Osama bin Ladin in check, and more specifically, if terrorism is not Islam, why doesn't Islam weed out its own hypocrites and imposters?

Until they do, the rest of us have no alternative but to suspect every woman wearing a burka of being a possible suicide bomber, and every Muslim man as a potential murderer of innocent women and children.

According to their Holy Books, Muslims cannot morally have Christians or Jews for "friends and protectors," Christians morally can't be "yoked together with unbelievers," and Jews are called to "come out from it and touch no unclean thing". It is a useless fallacy to assume they can ever "live together in peace" or even tolerate each other in any semblance of mutual respect. The best they can hope for is an uneasy truce, each knowing that any moment might spark the next round of violence against them, with religion once again taking the blame for mankind's inhumanity to mankind...

• April 14th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

On the debate with Craig Shirley, it was a lot (a lot) of he said-he said-What I'd like to see, on Thom's Website, is the reference of the debate- both Thom's and Craig Shirley's references. I don't mind going to Thom's site, but I'm NOT going to Craig Shirley's site and feed (by him using my visit) to promote his agenda. I remember that the books by Ann Poltergeist have references, but when you check them out you soon find that they are all BS. To be truely informed, we need check out the back and forth by checking references not sound bites.

• April 14th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

There are two unrelated points I'd like to make regarding today's show:

1) Regarding the first guest, who's main point seemed to be that the best, and possibly only, way to fight extremeist Islamic terrorism is to convert all the Moslems to Christianity - Can anyone point to a historical example where forcing a people to abandoin the faith of their ancestors for that of the "masters" (for want of a better word) turned out to be a good idea?

2) Regarding the economy - It often seems to me, Thom, that you are taking Limbaugh's infamous statement about FDR (He's dead! - Some of his policies are still hanging around, but we're trying to do something about that!), and substitute Ronald Reagan's name. Now, I personally have no problem with that, but can the guy who wrote "Cracking the Code" really fail to see the problem with this tactic? I just don't think that "REPEAL THE REAGAN TAX CUTS" is gonna play in Peoria.

-- Of course the "New Right" is wrong - that doesn't make WRONG the new RIGHT!

• April 14th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

On a recent show you talked about Cheney and assassinations. One in particular you mention was Ken Lay, which I would agree. I would like to suggest the plane crashd in Minnesota that Senator Wellstone might also need to be looked at. There were also many collateral deaths, including his wife. Both Bush and Rove wanted Wellstone defeated and he was ahead in the polls at the time. Just a thought, what do you think?

• April 14th 2009   10 years 13 weeks ago

Thom: When talking about how Jews lived in peace in Islamic countries you left out the fact that they were treated as second class citizens. The Koran may say don't force anyone but it also says that anyone or any entity that is not Islamic is inferior and needs to be under the rule of Islam.

This is one reason they hate us, we are not an Islamic nation so we are supposed to bow to them. We don't have to convert we just have to acknowledge that they are the rulers.

Come Cruise with Thom Hartmann in July 2020

Join me for an exciting Bermuda getaway aboard Oceania Cruises, the world’s leading culinary and destination-focused cruise line. Set sail on the reimagined Insignia for 7 nights beginning July 25th 2020. Take advantage of Oceania Cruises’ OLife Choice promotion, where you can choose shore excursions, a beverage package, or onboard credit – Oceania Cruises also includes Wifi! You'll also receive complimentary gratuities, a $50 onboard credit and two exclusive cocktail parties. Did I mention we are planning special onboard events with yours truly? Prices start at $1199.

Reserve your stateroom today by contacting Keene Luxury Travel, and mention the Thom Hartmann Group 800.856.1155

Will Racism Backfire on Trump...Or not?

Thom plus logo Trump's son Eric said on Fox News that he's loving the Democrats being upset about Trump's racist language. He argued that it's playing right into their hands.